The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 February 2020, 11:14 PM   #1
Mr DateJust
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Dial changes - Rolex Current Policy

Hi.

Lots of other posts about similar but I wondered if anyone knew the current policy with regards to dial changes by Rolex. I’m talking about DJ or DD not sports here. My understanding is Rolex will do a dial change (and hands if the ones that match the new dial are different) as long as the dial combo was available at the time your watch was made but will insist on a full service at the same time. Is this still the case?

In addition I was also told that Rolex will not do a dial change if the watch is still under warranty (an AD sales person told me this so not sure it’s accurate).

Thanks.
Mr DateJust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 11:16 PM   #2
leooooo
"TRF" Member

Tested the waters for dial change on ss daytona and skydweller. YMMV
Old 19 February 2020, 11:17 PM   #3
Abmatt2002
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126300
I bought a DJ in January. Spoke to my AD about 2 weeks ago about a dial change and they said no problem.

The change would be done by Rolex, using genuine parts so no probs with the warranty.
Abmatt2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 11:32 PM   #4
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr DateJust View Post
Hi.

Lots of other posts about similar but I wondered if anyone knew the current policy with regards to dial changes by Rolex. I’m talking about DJ or DD not sports here. My understanding is Rolex will do a dial change (and hands if the ones that match the new dial are different) as long as the dial combo was available at the time your watch was made but will insist on a full service at the same time. Is this still the case?

In addition I was also told that Rolex will not do a dial change if the watch is still under warranty (an AD sales person told me this so not sure it’s accurate).

Thanks.
I just spoke to my AD about this the other day and they said the same thing.
Old 19 February 2020, 11:57 PM   #5
77T

On a vintage watch the policy is based on dials that were allowed on the reference number of your watch. In other words a 1990 DJ may have had 20 dial options the year it was made. Certainly any of those are valid choices - but in 1991 through the end of that particular reference, perhaps another 20 dials were created. So you would have those to choose from as well. As long as it was a factory offering for the DJ reference you own. Same holds true for vintage DD’s.

On a service, it will be required since Rolex RSCs do not know what is going on inside the movement and will want to be sure all is correct. If an AD has a certified watchmaker, and a servicing parts account, they could do the swap by ordering a dial for you. If they sold you the watch, it is likely that they wouldn’t require a service if they are the first to open it.

Shifting gears to new DJs & DDs...
If you have a newer model, like one still under warranty, you have similar choices - the currently available dials, plus any previous dials for the DJ or DD reference you own. The RSC might want to push a service if it was 4 years old for example. But a freshly sold DJ/DD is unlikely to get that reco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 12:05 AM   #6
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by leooooo View Post
Tested the waters for dial change on ss daytona and skydweller. YMMV
That would be interesting. Surely they wouldn’t change dial of a white skydweller to a blue for example?
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 12:28 AM   #7
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Just sent in my Rolex date to RSC Dallas and they are changing the dial from silver too black and new hands. Must be a dial color that was offered on that model. Also getting a full service.

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 12:34 AM   #8
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
A few months ago I asked Dallas RSC, who I know well, if they would change Sky Dweller dials from white to blue. The answer was no.
fsprow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 12:40 AM   #9
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Also they don't give you your old dial back.
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 12:45 AM   #10
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
3 years ago, Rolex said they would change my 1998 Tudor Chrono dial to another non-Tiger style I preferred. No problem.

1 year ago, they said no.

same NYC RSC
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 12:47 AM   #11
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
On a vintage watch the policy is based on dials that were allowed on the reference number of your watch. In other words a 1990 DJ may have had 20 dial options the year it was made. Certainly any of those are valid choices - but in 1991 through the end of that particular reference, perhaps another 20 dials were created. So you would have those to choose from as well. As long as it was a factory offering for the DJ reference you own. Same holds true for vintage DD’s.
Idk about DJ, but members who’ve asked RSCs about dial changes on even 5-digit DDs lately haven’t been offered nearly that many - One was offered 4 diamond dials and 5 baton dials (silver, champagne, blue, white or black). But maybe that’s not so bad, considering a brand new DD36 only offers two non-diamond dials!
miamiclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 01:13 AM   #12
77T

The Rolex policy about dials is true for all models they sell. The OP only asked about DJ & DD so I limited my response to those models.

Same policy is true for Subs, GMTs and others. Only a dial that was deliverable for the particular reference the owner has - either at time of manufacture or later before that reference was retired/replaced.

Old 20 February 2020, 02:39 AM   #13
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
What has been said is correct, but I was also informed by RSC that they will not switch out dials while the watch is under the original warranty. So its a five year wait if the watch is new.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 02:45 AM   #14
Qristian
"TRF" Member

Is it possible to change Milgauss GV black dial to z-blue GV dial?
Omega Speedmaster Pro 005
Qristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 02:50 AM   #15
Mr DateJust
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I decided to give the UK RSC a call to check. Had a couple of AD’s say various things including one who said it can’t be done (but that AD is usually pretty useless anyway). I was put through to the service dept and spoke to someone there. I was told:

Yes they will change the dial (and hands are also done as part of this)

They will insist on a full service no matter the age of the watch.

They will do it while the watch is still under warranty but they didn’t seem as keen on that idea. Advising waiting till a service is actually due but they will do it again insisting on a full service.

I only asked about DJ and DD. I didn’t enquire about other models. I suspect they are likely more strict on things like the SkyD etc.
Mr DateJust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 10:49 AM   #16
77T

That’s what you were told already here.

The policy would be the same for a Sky-Diddy, too...

Old 20 February 2020, 11:14 AM   #17
TimeLord2

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
With older watches that only had one or two different dials (Subs, GMTs) that are now no longer available, Rolex will switch them out for newer reference alternatives, plus hands and insert. Effectively making an authentic Rolex Frankenwatch with all "original" Rolex parts that were never available for the original reference.
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 12:32 PM   #18
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr DateJust View Post
My understanding is Rolex will do a dial change (and hands if the ones that match the new dial are different) as long as the dial combo was available at the time your watch was made but will insist on a full service at the same time. Is this still the case?
Thanks.
This is 100% correct.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote