The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 February 2020, 12:44 PM   #1
terppride7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Incoming... but too good to be true?

First post incoming here TRF Gang

I was on vacation with my gf and her family in Mexico and naturally had to pop in to the AD there. I went with my gf to just tell her all about the watches that I like and tell her about why I am a little too crazy about these watches. The SA ended up coming and talking to us and she could tell that I knew my stuff about watches as she overheard me talking to my gf about them.

I have also always been very sentimental about watches and them holding value beyond just their dollar amount, but also for the memories that they carry with them. My dream is to one day have a Daytona that I'll wear on my wedding day and then hand that down to my kids one day. I was telling the SA about all of this.

My gf and I left the store and then within an hour of leaving, they sent me a message and told me to come to the store because they wanted some more info from me. I didnt know what to think of that. When I got to the store, they told me that they were able to get a hold of a Sub Date for me and that it will be in the store tomorrow for me!

I purchased it and now I am beyond ecstatic because, believe it or not, this trip was also where I got scuba certified!

My question for the group is, while it is an AD that is registered by Rolex, they were all official, they're on the Rolex website, etc, it all just seemed too good to be true. I guess there is an aspect of the AD being in Mexico that also makes me just want to feel extra cautious about getting scammed. Is there anything I should be worried about or am I just still in shock from getting the watch???
terppride7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 12:53 PM   #2
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terppride7 View Post

I was on vacation with my gf and her family in Mexico and naturally had to pop in to the AD there. I went with my gf to just tell her all about the watches that I like and tell her about why I am a little too crazy about these watches. The SA ended up coming and talking to us and she could tell that I knew my stuff about watches as she overheard me talking to my gf about them.

I have also always been very sentimental about watches and them holding value beyond just their dollar amount, but also for the memories that they carry with them. My dream is to one day have a Daytona that I'll wear on my wedding day and then hand that down to my kids one day. I was telling the SA about all of this.

My gf and I left the store and then within an hour of leaving, they sent me a message and told me to come to the store because they wanted some more info from me. I didnt know what to think of that. When I got to the store, they told me that they were able to get a hold of a Sub Date for me and that it will be in the store tomorrow for me!

I purchased it and now I am beyond ecstatic because, believe it or not, this trip was also where I got scuba certified!

My question for the group is, while it is an AD that is registered by Rolex, they were all official, they're on the Rolex website, etc, it all just seemed too good to be true. I guess there is an aspect of the AD being in Mexico that also makes me just want to feel extra cautious about getting scammed. Is there anything I should be worried about or am I just still in shock from getting the watch???
Just enjoy the watch and try to have faith in the process. It sounds like you made an indelible impression on the AD. Mexico has nothing to do with it.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 12:55 PM   #3
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
So your thinking an official Rolex AD sold you a fake?
I think not.. Welcome newbie...Enjoy you Sub date!!... Incoming pics when you can.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 12:55 PM   #4
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
If it’s an AD you should be fine

(At least that’s what everyone says!)

Congrats!
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 01:06 PM   #5
JayHantz

Watch: @Escapementt
If it is an AD, you are good to go. Great story and enjoy the heck out of the 116610. It is a classic!
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 01:06 PM   #6
jamerson80
"TRF" Member

I had a similar experience with an AD in the US, with zero purchase history. Spoke to the store manager who said they were always interested in adding new customers, and was told they had a SS sub in the back I could check out to start, but had to decline as it was too similar to my SDDS (DSSD?). I have interacted with other SAs in that boutique in the past and was treated rudely, so this all came as a shock.

Bottom line: what you get is highly personnel dependent, and it sounds like you lucked out.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
jamerson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 02:12 PM   #7
Odie-r
"TRF" Member

Well, that worked out! Congrats on your new Sub!
Old 24 February 2020, 03:29 PM   #8
terppride7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Thanks guys! I think I was just a little hesitant because I’ve been reading a lot of other people’s stories and struggles in getting one and because of how smoothly things went I almost felt like it could have been too good to be true!
terppride7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 03:52 PM   #9
MuleDeer
"TRF" Member

OP, all is good. Simply enjoy to the max.
MuleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 03:56 PM   #10
grimps
"TRF" Member

The same thing happened to me at Dubai airport , I was chatting with the salesman and having a bit of a laugh about the availability of the GMT ( I was wearing a Pepsi at the time) and he told me that he had a Sub under the counter that they'd be waiting to sell to the right customer
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 06:46 PM   #11
r_afficionado
Banned

Watch: a few
Congratulations! Post pics. Also remember not all hispanics are shady... the whole cause it's Mexico I am a bit worried... was a bit weird. Enjoy your dive.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
r_afficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 08:46 PM   #12
ms9
"TRF" Member

Haha, OP do you have trust issues?

IF its an AD mentioned on Rolex site, chill and enjoy it. Congrats.
ms9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 08:51 PM   #13
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
Thanks guys! I think I was just a little hesitant because I’ve been reading a lot of other people’s stories and struggles in getting one and because of how smoothly things went I almost felt like it could have been too good to be true!

I buy my Rolexes in Brazil at ADs there. No problem at all, all above board, and friendlier than in Europe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alex.cicollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 09:52 PM   #14
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations. No issues from an AD.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 11:45 PM   #15
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Congrats and enjoy!
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 12:03 AM   #16
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Don't worry or overthink it. They're an AD. Enjoy your Sub and congratulations!
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 12:06 AM   #17
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Sometimes too good to be true can actually be true. Congrats!

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 12:07 AM   #18
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Well, it's not after the purchase that you are meant to become cautious and ask for advise or opinion but rather before pulling the trigger ;-)
But, as you bought from an AD then those worries should not be there and no, you should not be surprised they got you a sub in no time, it's happening all over the world now. Look at this forum and you'll se how many short-wait incoming stories have been posted lately.
Disfrutalo amigo.

Quote:

Old 25 February 2020, 12:32 AM   #19
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Gonna be fine. Don’t listen to fake news — Mexico is a marvelous place, including its ad’s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 12:46 AM   #20
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Yeah man, victory! Enjoy
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 12:52 AM   #21
JasTPE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Nice work!! Thanks for sharing such a great story!

We demand wrist shots!!

JasTPE
JasTPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 12:54 AM   #22
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Congrats, enjoy it and don't believe everything you hear on the news
Old 25 February 2020, 02:05 AM   #23
jon54
Banned

Enjoy and do well to share pictures later on..
jon54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 02:14 AM   #24
moore2
Banned

You need no worries..just enjoy the watch
moore2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 02:16 AM   #25
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't worry too much. Congratulations and post pictures when you are able.
Geckobros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 02:22 AM   #26
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum, enjoy it and please post pictures when you can
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 02:45 AM   #27
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Wait, is the watch still with you? Are you sure this isn't a dream? Maybe pinch yourself a few times.

But seriously, congrats on an awesome watch.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 02:57 AM   #28
horologymania
"TRF" Member

Watch: 222
Congrats!
horologymania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 03:42 AM   #29
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Uhh its a paranoid story but it did get me thinking. What if the salesguy pockets the original sub and switches it with a (super) fake? 6months/years later you find out and then what? Goes for any AD btw not this case specific.
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 04:43 AM   #30
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:

I guess there is an aspect of the AD being in Mexico that also makes me just want to feel extra cautious about getting scammed.
You were sold a Sub/Date by an AD as a walk in foreigner and this is your reaction ??

I hope the sales assistant reads your comments.

TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote