The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 February 2020, 01:35 PM   #1
Rolex1983
Banned

How hard to change bracelets on submariner and datejust ii?

And what are risks if you do wrong
Rolex1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 01:35 PM   #2
Rolex1983
Banned

How hard to change bracelets and are ultra sonic cleaners worth it?

Just curious how hard it is to remove and add bracelets to Rolex watches, if you can do one are they all basically the same?

I'm asking as I'd like to change my sub to rubber once in a while but more importantly so I can clean my bracelets with an ultra sonic cleaner. I usually wash my watches weekly and figure an ultra sonic cleaning once a month would be good? I read it cleans a lot more then a toothbrush soap and water and keeping the bracelet clean prevents stretch.
Old 25 February 2020, 01:55 PM   #3
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex1983 View Post
And what are risks if you do wrong

There's some technique. Lug damage.
Old 25 February 2020, 02:04 PM   #4
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Without the correct tools, experience with the tools and careful skill, it can be very difficult.

The risks are gouges, scratches and cuts into the watch lugs and/or bracelet endlinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 02:08 PM   #5
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Bergeon 7825 is probably fine if you're referring to modern references, but we've got decades of Rolex watches to sort through if you want to get into detail. Ultrasonic is perfectly fine for the bracelet, but do not put the watch head in there.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 02:12 PM   #6
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
Its really simple but requires some practice so that you don't scratch up the lugs too bad. Some people put some tape on the lugs to prevent the scratches. I don't really care since these are inside or underside of the watch, no one but me sees them. I use to use a ultra sonic cleaner but now a days too lazy, so just wash the watch with warm water and handsoap.
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 03:00 AM   #7
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
I use the Bergeon 7825 and tape the lugs. Even so is difficult to me. Is not easy, but I do sometimes.

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 03:07 AM   #8
REFZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Rolex Way
Don't get me wrong I don't want to be rude but if you have to ask this question it's not a job you should do yourself and don't complain about scratches if it goes wrong.

At least practise on an older watch to get a feeling for it and use adequate tools.
Old 26 February 2020, 03:13 AM   #9
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Dont learn on a Rolex. Learn on beater watches first. Bracelet changes are pretty standard regardless what brand of watch. You can absolutely butcher up the lugs if you don't know what you are doing.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 03:16 AM   #10
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
Quote:
Originally Posted by REFZ View Post
Don't get me wrong I don't want to be rude but if you have to ask this question it's not a job you
Totally agree here. If you have to ask about something so simple then don't do it.
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 03:17 AM   #11
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

All above is good advice. I just returned from Jamaica, before I left I use the Bergeron tool mentioned above with no problem to remove the bracelet and putting a rubber strap was not too bad at all. Different story when I came home to reverse the process. I proceeded to put the bracelet on the wrong way, I know pretty dumb. I ended up getting frustrated and then took it to a local AD who did it for me in a snap. There is a skill and touch to it.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 03:20 AM   #12
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
even with the right tools it takes a little while to get used to the technique. If you have a good screwdriver (again get the right tool), i'd suggest removing the clasp so you can flat lay both sides of the bracelet and clear out the clasp and rest of the bracelet from getting in your way while removing the end links.
Chadridv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 10:46 AM   #13
Rolex1983
Banned

I guess it's best to take to an AD for a ultrasonic cleaning and I suppose it's best I don't get a rubber strap as changing it would likely be a hassle and maybe the rubber strap won't be as secure and I lose my watch as a result, so why risk it!
Old 26 February 2020, 12:14 PM   #14
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
All above is good advice. I just returned from Jamaica, before I left I use the Bergeron tool mentioned above with no problem to remove the bracelet and putting a rubber strap was not too bad at all. Different story when I came home to reverse the process. I proceeded to put the bracelet on the wrong way, I know pretty dumb. I ended up getting frustrated and then took it to a local AD who did it for me in a snap. There is a skill and touch to it.
I’ve always found it exponentially easier to remove a bracelet than to put it back on

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 11:25 PM   #15
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
With the 7825 or Rolex 3200 tweezers it's easy enough.

Remove and fit from the back of the watch.

Move the watch head towards/ off the bracelet and not the bracelet to the watch.

For fitting I use the blue one below which helps to avoid damage.

My eyesight is not optimal so I need a 3x loupe to make sure I fit the tweezers correct.

I get some scratches on the backside of the lugs which I remove with a glass fibre pen in 5 seconds. These don't bother me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tool copy.JPG (180.6 KB, 163 views)
Old 27 February 2020, 01:09 AM   #16
Bigboss473
"TRF" Member

I feel like the older models at least the Datejust is pretty simple but the newer model DJ I tried it once to clean the bracelet in an ultrasonic cleaner and long story short even with tape on lugs it still got messy
Bigboss473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 02:15 AM   #17
azs.77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, Panerai
It’s definitely a skill. I know I have had to practice changing bracelets on several watches several times before I could work on my ‘nicer’ watches without scratching them up..too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
azs.77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 02:34 AM   #18
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
I’ve always found it exponentially easier to remove a bracelet than to put it back on
Agree

As a tip to the OP or anyone doing it, after you compress the spring bar and remove the bracelet you have to be careful that the spring bar does not go flying across the room. This has happened to me a few times, and I get down on the floor and look for it, so far I have been lucky, but one of them took a while.

Suggestion, do the taking off or putting on of the bracelet/strap inside a large shoe box or some container. This way when the spring bar goes flying, you have it contained in the box.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 03:46 AM   #19
Rolex1983
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
Agree

As a tip to the OP or anyone doing it, after you compress the spring bar and remove the bracelet you have to be careful that the spring bar does not go flying across the room. This has happened to me a few times, and I get down on the floor and look for it, so far I have been lucky, but one of them took a while.

Suggestion, do the taking off or putting on of the bracelet/strap inside a large shoe box or some container. This way when the spring bar goes flying, you have it contained in the box.
Ya I'm not changing straps and will take for ultra sonic cleaning at jeweller once a year
Old 27 February 2020, 04:28 AM   #20
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex1983 View Post
Ya I'm not changing straps and will take for ultra sonic cleaning at jeweller once a year
If you don't want scratches, then I think you're spot on
mykii is offline   Reply With Quote