The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 February 2020, 06:32 AM   #1
Simon_jrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: whichever I wear
Expensive bezel

Hey all.

Just had a phone call to Go ahead with my Daytona service.

Recommended repairs

New crown: mine a little worn
New bottom pusher: not up to Rolex satisfactory standard.

Optional extras

New sapphire glass
New hands
New bezel (I was told they can only lightly polish it becouse they don't want to rub too much off the tachymeter)

Total cost for the service and recommended parts 1076 pounds, which is fine by me. Question I have is why does it cost so much (1300) for a new bezel when they take yours and recycle the gold anyhow. This might be straight forward to most but it seems alot to me for an exchange.
Simon_jrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 06:57 AM   #2
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I assume you have a PM Daytona based on the price quoted as its consistent to what my friend with a WG Daytona has been quoted. His watch has been serviced and polished 3 times. Text has been unimpacted until now. He’s now considering the 1300 replacement part...

I’d say if it’s a first service you’ve got a few more before you really need to print the 1300. Just my $.02

As to why is cost so much... it’s because Rolex has a captive audience. They can charge whatever they like. Replacement PM bracelet is ~15k with the trade in so go figure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 07:04 AM   #3
Simon_jrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
I assume you have a PM Daytona based on the price quoted as its consistent to what my friend with a WG Daytona has been quoted. His watch has been serviced and polished 3 times. Text has been unimpacted until now. He’s now considering the 1300 replacement part...

I’d say if it’s a first service you’ve got a few more before you really need to print the 1300. Just my $.02

As to why is cost so much... it’s because Rolex has a captive audience. They can charge whatever they like. Replacement PM bracelet is ~15k with the trade in so go figure

It's 18kt yellow TT, I thought it might cost a bit but that price was a shock. Charging what they want becouse of the Rolex makes sense but also is a bit of a p**s take considering they're getting my bezel aswell.
Old 26 February 2020, 07:04 AM   #4
bp1000
"TRF" Member

It depends how bad the scratches are. Basic light scratches and a light polish will not affect the tachymeter at all

I also have seen polishing on the Daytona bezels and like the other guy said, it does take about 3 polishes to fade the text.

Caveat is, if there are deep scratches, Rolex will try restore as new appearance which could mean taking quite a bit off (relatively).

I'd just ask for a light polish, replace the bezel ever third service. Live with any deep scratches.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 07:50 AM   #5
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's 18kt yellow TT, I thought it might cost a bit but that price was a shock. Charging what they want becouse of the Rolex makes sense but also is a bit of a p**s take considering they're getting my bezel aswell.
The value of the gold in the bezel isn't a meaningful part of the cost. They take the old bezel back because they don't want authentic Rolex parts floating around to be put on fake watches to fool people. You're paying a lot for the new bezel for the finishing, the installation, and because Rolex can charge whatever it likes.

I know that sounds obnoxious, but it's not like the cost of the watch in the first place is based on anything different.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 07:58 AM   #6
Simon_jrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
The value of the gold in the bezel isn't a meaningful part of the cost. They take the old bezel back because they don't want authentic Rolex parts floating around to be put on fake watches to fool people. You're paying a lot for the new bezel for the finishing, the installation, and because Rolex can charge whatever it likes.

I know that sounds obnoxious, but it's not like the cost of the watch in the first place is based on anything different.
Yeah it all makes sense, I was only really thinking of it from an exchange of precious metal point of view.
Old 27 February 2020, 12:24 AM   #7
Acidstain
"TRF" Member

What would have happened if you had popped the bezel off before sending it in, and you say you knocked it off and can’t find it? You’re already doing a full service anyway. Wonder how much it would be to “buy” the bezel.

Acidstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 12:30 AM   #8
Simon_jrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidstain View Post
What would have happened if you had popped the bezel off before sending it in, and you say you knocked it off and can’t find it? You’re already doing a full service anyway. Wonder how much it would be to “buy” the bezel.

Yeah... a lot!
Old 27 February 2020, 12:33 AM   #9
glamorama
"TRF" Member

How much would a steel bezel cost? Or ceramic?

How much does a gold bezel weigh? A 24ct gold of 5g would cost 52USDx5=260USD in material with todays price. Now it is 18ct and I have no idea of the weight but gives a sense of proportion.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote