The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Reference Library

Old 2 June 2009, 04:24 AM   #1
pjsteiner
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX DATEJUST ss
Rolex Tudor Oysterdate chronograph 79280

I am new to this forum, and to this area of study.
My enthusiasm far exceeds my knowledge.
I am at the beginning.

I own a Rolex Tudor Oysterdate chronograph in stainless steel.
I believe this to be a model #79280 with serial #B905XXX.

I purchased this watch, several years ago, from a highly regarded seller on ebay. The watch came with original Tudor papers dated 09.08.01 from the 'Goldsmiths Group', which I believe is in the UK.

I do not believe that the outer box and Tudor brochure are original.

Upon receipt, I asked my local Rolex Authorized Dealer to verify authenticity and nothing more. I was told that this watch was authentic, and a very clean example. The Dealer looked inside, I have not. I did not show the Dealer the accompanying papers or packaging. I believe that the Seller added the brochure and outer box to complete the package, nothing more.
I believe that the papers are original, but I am not qualified to take this fine item apart.

From reading carefully compiled information by enthusiasts such as Bagel, I have concluded that this watch is circa 1997, Pre-Tiger endorsement. What I can not reconcile is why this watch is designated 'Tudor Oysterdate', rather than 'Tudor Prince Date'. This watch's crown and back are hallmarked with the Rolex insignia, and the back is engraved 'ORIGINAL OYSTER CASE BY ROLEX GENEVA'. The bracelet is stainless steel and marked #78400. The clasp is hallmarked with the Tudor insignia.

I will appreciate any comments, suggestions and helpful input.

Thank you,
Peter Steiner

Last edited by pjsteiner; 2 June 2009 at 04:32 AM.. Reason: To add additional information.
pjsteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2009, 11:30 PM   #2
bagel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsteiner View Post
I am new to this forum, and to this area of study.
My enthusiasm far exceeds my knowledge.
I am at the beginning.

I own a Rolex Tudor Oysterdate chronograph in stainless steel.
I believe this to be a model #79280 with serial #B905XXX.

I purchased this watch, several years ago, from a highly regarded seller on ebay. The watch came with original Tudor papers dated 09.08.01 from the 'Goldsmiths Group', which I believe is in the UK.

I do not believe that the outer box and Tudor brochure are original.

Upon receipt, I asked my local Rolex Authorized Dealer to verify authenticity and nothing more. I was told that this watch was authentic, and a very clean example. The Dealer looked inside, I have not. I did not show the Dealer the accompanying papers or packaging. I believe that the Seller added the brochure and outer box to complete the package, nothing more.
I believe that the papers are original, but I am not qualified to take this fine item apart.

From reading carefully compiled information by enthusiasts such as Bagel, I have concluded that this watch is circa 1997, Pre-Tiger endorsement. What I can not reconcile is why this watch is designated 'Tudor Oysterdate', rather than 'Tudor Prince Date'. This watch's crown and back are hallmarked with the Rolex insignia, and the back is engraved 'ORIGINAL OYSTER CASE BY ROLEX GENEVA'. The bracelet is stainless steel and marked #78400. The clasp is hallmarked with the Tudor insignia.

I will appreciate any comments, suggestions and helpful input.

Thank you,
Peter Steiner

Hi Peter

Welcome to TRF and thanks for your info.

According to your description of your 79280, it appears to be the earliest version with rolex crown, rolex case back, oysterdate (instead of prince date), and 78400 oyster bracelet. The 792x0 pre-tiger later on changed from oysterdate to prince date but I don't have a conclusive estimate yet on when it had changed.

Hope you will enjoy wearing your tudor chrono ......
bagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2009, 02:56 AM   #3
pjsteiner
"TRF" Member

Tudor Oysterdate ss chrono #79280

Hi Bagel and Mark,

Thank you both for you responses.

I felt brave this morning and used two bamboo toothpicks to release the bracelet at the 6 o'clock position. I am pleased to observe that the inscription does say 'stainless steel' and the serial # does match my papers.
Also, the three numerals (perforated) before the serial # on the 'Garantie' are 160, which is ROLEX code for the UK, which I have learned on this wonderful forum.

I have a wonderful digital Nikon camera, great for action sports, but not the correct macro lens to provide very good close-up, still photos. I will post the best photos which I have been able to take thus far.........

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009 May 17 008.jpg (54.2 KB, 6635 views)
File Type: jpg 2009 May 17 002.jpg (50.1 KB, 6617 views)
File Type: jpg 2009 May 17 003.jpg (46.2 KB, 6610 views)
File Type: jpg 2009 May 17 004.jpg (49.7 KB, 6608 views)
File Type: jpg 2009 May 17 001.jpg (51.3 KB, 6604 views)
Old 3 June 2009, 11:30 PM   #4
pjsteiner
"TRF" Member

Tudor Oysterdate chrono ss 79280

Hi Bagel,
Please clarify.

You use the term 'earliest' with regard to my Tudor chrono, 79280.
Yet, on your list of serial numbers, however, the B905XXX on mine would place it as Circa 1997..........

If my understanding is correct, Tiger Woods endorcement contract with and for Tudor began mid-1997 and ran for about 2.5 years, ending about 2000.

If this is accurate, I would describe my watch as 'Pre-TigerJust'. A little Rolex humor. (Very little.)

Thank you for your fine work in compiling the serial number data, and your kind response to my inquiry.

Peter
Old 4 June 2009, 12:55 AM   #5
bagel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsteiner View Post
Hi Bagel,
Please clarify.

You use the term 'earliest' with regard to my Tudor chrono, 79280.
Yet, on your list of serial numbers, however, the B905XXX on mine would place it as Circa 1997..........

If my understanding is correct, Tiger Woods endorcement contract with and for Tudor began mid-1997 and ran for about 2.5 years, ending about 2000.

If this is accurate, I would describe my watch as 'Pre-TigerJust'. A little Rolex humor. (Very little.)

Thank you for your fine work in compiling the serial number data, and your kind response to my inquiry.

Peter
792x0 series started at around B63 serial. It started with rolex crown, rolex case back and oysterdate dial.

Until B94 to B95 serial, which is around 1997, tiger woods series started to issue until to H38 to H41 (around 2002). The tiger woods series mostly came with tudor crown, tudor case back and prince date dial. However, I have found some tiger woods sample at transition period (i.e. B94 to B95 serial), that came with tudor crown, rolex case back or vice versa.

From B63 to B94 (to B95), it changed from oysteredate dial to prince date dial even before the tiger woods has appeared somehow but I am still not quite certain when it changed at this point (but probably around B8 or later serial). The earliest batch of 792x0 series I referred are those came with rolex crown, rolex case back and oysterdate dial.
Old 10 June 2009, 06:40 PM   #6
SubZee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680/1501/6694
Icon15

Hi All

got a question to ask, i saw one 76100 tudor (with lollipop hour hand) that has a 5-digit serial - its a 6xxxx.

But seems like the database above does not have the above.

Could anyone help/clarify on this?

Thanks.
SubZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2009, 09:00 PM   #7
bagel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubZee View Post
Hi All

got a question to ask, i saw one 76100 tudor (with lollipop hour hand) that has a 5-digit serial - its a 6xxxx.

But seems like the database above does not have the above.

Could anyone help/clarify on this?

Thanks.
It is estimated to be around 1984.
When the serial number reach 999,999 in around 1984, it has started again from 1x,xxx and the earliest serial I have found for 1985 is 14x,xxx.
Old 25 August 2009, 09:57 AM   #8
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Regarding the Tudor Chrono with Tiger on the dial, there were some transitional models that came with Prince Date dial with Tiger on it, Prince Tudor case back but still with a Rolex crown. The serial # on some of these watches goes between B953xxx to around B954xxx. I actually own one of this beautiful pieces and will post some pics for your enjoyment.
Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2009, 10:40 PM   #9
bagel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submarino View Post
Regarding the Tudor Chrono with Tiger on the dial, there were some transitional models that came with Prince Date dial with Tiger on it, Prince Tudor case back but still with a Rolex crown. The serial # on some of these watches goes between B953xxx to around B954xxx. I actually own one of this beautiful pieces and will post some pics for your enjoyment.
Thanks for your info. IMO, I think it is possible for tiger chrono with rolex corwn / rolex case back at the transition period of s/n around B95x,xxx though I have not yet come across one. I have in fact come across chrono at such transition period that came with rolex crown / tudor case back and vice versa as well.
Old 15 February 2015, 06:30 PM   #10
AndyGB
"TRF" Member

Appreciate comments

Gents,

Watch is a bottom of the draw find from a close relative. It has been there for circa 28 years untouched.

First posting on here so hope I have attached the images correctly.

Watch is marked 9411/0 between the lugs and has serial no 88####

Bezel rotates too freely and appears to be missing the spring. Appreciate thoughts on its authenticity
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (84.6 KB, 376 views)
AndyGB is offline   Reply With Quote