The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 April 2019, 08:45 AM   #61
gaeleus
"TRF" Member

Expiration
gaeleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 12:47 PM   #62
Why1504
"TRF" Member

Imagine selling a product where you had so many potential customers where you could pick and choose who you would sell too. This doesn’t happen very often in many markets. Honestly I am envious of these AD’s.

You don’t like it, don’t buy. Otherwise look at the situation for what it is. Don’t get me wrong, I understand the frustration. Buyers have money, they are ready to purchase at MSRP yet there is no product available. Any way you cut it that is tough.

Put your self in their shoes. Who would you sell to? A customer who is spending big money and possibly bringing in new clients or a customer who want to buy one watch that goes up in value by 40% the moment they walk out the door.

You want to solve the problem? start buying stuff other than high demand Rolexes and maybe you could get the high demand watches you desire.
Old 26 April 2019, 01:18 PM   #63
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Wasn't there a story a while back where jewelry stores left (fake or real, I forget) decoy watches in the cases that had GPS tracking in them. Maybe they were changing the batteries.

I'm kidding...or am I ????
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 06:24 PM   #64
bezler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Marine View Post
Folks, calm down. I know many of you are sitting way up on your high horses, so I'll say it louder that you can hear me, CALM down!

I never said or implied they did anything illegal. They of course have a right to do what they want with their inventory. Including selling their rarest models to greys and VIPs.

Something that some of you don't want to hear is that I have a right to react too, last time I checked. My "recourse", includes several options, including not giving them my business and/or no longer recommending them to my friends and family. I guess that may seem "childish" to some of you, but clearly some of you are all holier-than-thou types who have perfect business relationships and nothing to complain about!

However, I thought it an interesting situation that illustrates a challenge for this business, they made a mistake by doing a review/segmenting of their inventory in their store-front for me and others to see in plain-sight, and when I asked them about those items, they lied...I shared my story with you...not sure how that's petty or childish...clearly some of you have cornered the market on judging of others, so I'll leave it at that.

Businesses have a right to run their business in an honest and ethical manner, or not, and consumers have a right to give them their business, or not.

However, I prefer not to do business with someone who lies.

Do most/all rolex ADs lie to a segment of their customers? Probably.

And yes, I know it's a game to some of you and you take it in stride, as do I.

However, in this case, it seemed so blatantly obvious to me it was a lie, and I wanted to discern from others' experience if this is something they have heard from other ADs or not! I've received significant feedback from many of you that what I was told was not true and I'm satisfied. Again, if that is petty or childish, then perhaps I need to review their definitions in the dictionary.

I never mentioned the name of the offending party and I do not plan to do that.

And to all you that are still in a tizzy, you can relax, I'm not making a sandwich board and protesting outside of their store!
Great post!

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Old 26 April 2019, 06:30 PM   #65
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
my hot take

1. NOS my ass. those watches were new.
2. shipment to grey for sure.
3. they lied to you twice (first re: NOS and second time about it being some specific deal in conjunction with other parties)
4. this is an opportunity. clearly they are uncomfortable that you saw this. that might create some drive to satisfy your wants. work that!
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 08:32 PM   #66
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaeleus View Post
Didnt realize Rolex had exporation dates!
hahah that's a good one...

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 09:43 PM   #67
JW1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-date
Quote:
Originally Posted by trelane View Post
Couldn't they have just done their count in the back? I remember seeing this at a Boston AD too
I'm curious, what Boston AD?
JW1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 11:04 PM   #68
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWISSAHOLICS View Post
That was the shipment going to one of our trusted sellers here....not to worry, you will see them listed here shortly

At 1.25-2x retail
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 11:21 PM   #69
Sub-Marine
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_gray View Post
my hot take

1. NOS my ass. those watches were new.
2. shipment to grey for sure.
3. they lied to you twice (first re: NOS and second time about it being some specific deal in conjunction with other parties)
4. this is an opportunity. clearly they are uncomfortable that you saw this. that might create some drive to satisfy your wants. work that!
As to your point number 4....believe me the thought crossed my mind!
Sub-Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 11:37 PM   #70
rgwarden
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
I smell a rat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rgwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 11:58 PM   #71
MinMay
Banned

Rolex AD removing watches that aren't "new"?

At the end of the day Rolex AD gotta do what it takes to pay for the monthly lease. Put yourself in their shoe if you own an AD, what would you do? I’ll do the same and save it for my VIP customers. I don’t blame them. Blame Rolex HQ for limiting the production. I’m sure your local AD would love to sell them but how can they if Rolex doesn’t supply them. The AD is probably losing money every month at this rate. Can you really get mad at them?
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 06:48 AM   #72
MiDoon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why1504 View Post

...You want to solve the problem? start buying stuff other than high demand Rolexes and maybe you could get the high demand watches you desire.
That sounds so simple doesn't it. I could go a buy several diamonds bracelets for the wife. I few other pieces of gold such as rings and necklaces. Mention I'm in the market for a Skydweller and maybe they will give me a call in 3-6 months.

Of course you know that for many of us, the Rolex is the most expensive piece of jewelry we will ever purchase. Next to an engagement right but that was many years ago.

So this comment comes off as a little self righteous in my opinion.
MiDoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2019, 07:35 AM   #73
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiDoon View Post
That sounds so simple doesn't it. I could go a buy several diamonds bracelets for the wife. I few other pieces of gold such as rings and necklaces. Mention I'm in the market for a Skydweller and maybe they will give me a call in 3-6 months.

Of course you know that for many of us, the Rolex is the most expensive piece of jewelry we will ever purchase. Next to an engagement right but that was many years ago.

IMO, all that Why1504 did was to point out the reality. Calling him self righteous doesn't change the reality.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 12:46 PM   #74
Why1504
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiDoon View Post

Self righteous???

Ever been in business? Had to make a payroll? Let me tell you something, its all about taking care of the customers who takes care of you. As I type this I am about to board a plane for Korea. This will be my 4th stop this week. Oh is it Saturday? Tough stuff. No weekend off for me. I hate Korea but I am going. You know why? Cause the guy I am going to see is having an event there and he ask me to attend. He is one of the customers that put our company on the map.

In the Jewelry business if a guy is spending big money he gets what he wants. Welcome to business. Welcome to the way of the world. It’s called capitalism.
Old 28 April 2019, 02:08 PM   #75
rlx123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousMaximus View Post
hahah that's a good one...
You did not know? Wear them by certain date otherwise they go bad. I had to throw out a few rolexes because they expired. Check with the FDA.
rlx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 04:10 PM   #76
pkincy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
Probably their next shipment to grey dealers.
Spot on. Just inventorying the shipment before it goes to their favorite grey that pays them 10% over MSRP for SS Tool watches.
pkincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 11:04 PM   #77
challer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi folks.

I have a small collection including a sub and gmt. I'm actively looking to build out my collection and I popped by my local AD where I've purchased those two plus one for the wife, and I see them doing inventory of their rolex's.

What was interesting was they had a tray of about 30 rolex's in their "coffins" that they basically hid away when they saw me walk in!!

I'm speaking to the sales person, reviewing their empty displays of datejusts and oyster perpetuals....when finally I had to ask..."excuse me but what were all those rolexs you hid away when I walked into your store?"

(BTW, I swear I saw that unmistakable blue color that we all recognize on the Bluesy!)

He saws...."oh no, those are old rolexes (as in not current models or new old stock) that we're not allowed to display any more and our rep gets mad if we do display them."

What do you all think? My immediate thought is: "BS, those are the good watches that you don't want to show me!"
So you saw them hiding the watches?
challer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 11:05 PM   #78
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxiness View Post
Should have called them out oh that’s the grey stash? Or let me call corporate to confirm your story

Most plausible scenario.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2019, 11:10 PM   #79
Chaching
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many! 116718 GOLD
AD Corruption at its finest! Sadly, this is the state of Rolex.
Chaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2019, 12:40 AM   #80
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I was in a store as they were unboxing watches from the coffins and putting the plastic wrapping on them. They were literally unboxing a sub date next to me and when I asked about if they had subs, they said no. I pointed out the watch and said I understand if it’s already reserved, but isn’t that a sub? Lol. They were adamant it wasn’t.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2019, 12:59 AM   #81
Sub-Marine
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by challer View Post
So you saw them hiding the watches?
Absolutely I did. When they saw me they threw a microfiber cloth over the tray and hid them in a cabinet under the display glass. Then when I asked to see them I was told it’s old inventory and also told that their insurance prohibits them from displaying too many items at one time.
Sub-Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2019, 01:18 AM   #82
Greenwich Mean Time
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
They can run their business any way they want. And yes, some salespeople lie to their customers. Best takeaway from this experience IMO; is that you should never believe anything you hear from this individual.
Greenwich Mean Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2019, 04:56 AM   #83
mjr24
Banned

Quote:
As to your point number 4....believe me the thought crossed my mind!
I mean, really....so you are basically going to blackmail them even though they may not be doing anything wrong?

Like it or not. LOTS of people can easily afford $10k watches. Lots of people EASILY can afford $50k watches. They can sell to who they want. You can be butthurt about because 500 other people can trump you financially in a second. Saying you were considering basically blackmailing them to curry favor is a douche move and makes you look petty....definitely not someone who is going to spend real money with them. 4 Rolexes of $8k means zero to them. That isn’t high purchasing power.
mjr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2019, 05:09 AM   #84
watchmaker
TechXpert

I don’t see what the problem is with them lying to you. They tried (albeit failed) to find a politer way of telling you what they have isn’t being sold to you today. They are operating like any sensible business would which is prioritising the customers that pay their bills/rent.

Nobody got injured, best to either suck it up or if you feel you cannot possibly continue dealing with such ‘unscrupulous’ businesspeople, find another AD and hope for the best.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2019, 05:53 AM   #85
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
The AD I bought my last watch from had a few “old” models in the case for a significant discount. One was a fully stickered 116618LN for 30% off MSRP. Apparently some very minor update to newer models made it “old.”

I don’t think it is any surprise that ADs reward their best customers with access to hot watches at MSRP. An AD in CA told me $100k in purchases per year was the minimum to cut to the front of the line.
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote