The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 31 March 2010, 03:25 AM   #1
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

6541 Milgauss on Antiques Roadshow

I glanced the clip on the tv in the background while visiting my mum a couple of days ago, so I thought I'd fire up the Iplayer and grab a few shots.

It's a story of the guy's friend having a bunch of old watches in a drawer, originally owned by his grandfather who worked as an engineer in areas of high magnetic flux exposure.

The expert explained the condition and loss of bezel/insert affected the value and placed a value estimate of £5-15,000.

I reckoned the guy with the watch already knew exactly how much it was worth and this piece will find itself on a major auction in the next few months.

Pics.

3..JPG
1..JPG
2.JPG
4..JPG
5.JPG
9.JPG
Old 31 March 2010, 05:35 AM   #2
sam.

Watch: Oyster Royal 6246
yes i saw that too,it was great to see a Rolex on the show,instead of the usual pottery!lightning sweep hand,very nice,look out for it on ebay
sam. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2010, 05:43 AM   #3
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Very cool, Paul. Thanks for sharing.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2010, 06:15 AM   #4
Philipp
"TRF" Member

My respons on the other forum...

Strange as...I don't see any luminous on the discs of the dial allthough the hands where filled with it....

The caseback inside engravings are interesting to study on this but to me once a dial made in soft iron shows a damaged toplayer like we see in the pictures, the gilt print will not stop to proceed 'eated'
away ...Imho only option for those owning one of these is, carefully restoring it to stop this proces and for those still out there on the hunt to a 6541, only buy the best, those dialed that stayed black because of having non luminous or nicely faded brown or one being made in a later, tritium batch as 6541 was sold till late 60-ies by Rolex agents....

rg.Philipp
Philipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2010, 08:24 AM   #5
watchthisone2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
I caught the programme also. I am sure the guy knew exactly what he had & wanted to get on telly. I think the watch was serviced or repaired more recently than the the owner let on as it has a non Rolex crown fitted at some point. Possibly a bit of early advertising?
watchthisone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2010, 09:07 AM   #6
TheBluePrince
"TRF" Member

The AR guy is always pretty bad at values on watches and jewellery imo. Last week he put a ladies cocktail patek way too low and a diamond brooch too low also. £5-15K is also a pretty crappy estimate. On another BBC antiques program a year or two ago the guy valued an early Panerai at about £500 because it had a "Rolex" movement in it. It went on to be seen for what it really was by someone else (luckily for the owner) and sold at auction for about £25K - 50X what the "expert" said.

AR is fun to watch but a lot of the valuations for a lot of items across the board are way, way off.
TheBluePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2010, 02:37 PM   #7
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
they most likely give a low value and then after the show they send their "partner" over to offer them 2/3rds or half what they where quoted..lol
gotta pay them experts somehow!
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote