The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 7 April 2010, 05:38 AM   #1
bryzzy

vintage submariner

hi , i have just joined this forum as i have recently inherited a rolex submariner and want to find out more about it without someone wanting to buy it as thats all i here when i show it to anyone , i know from my family it was purchased new in the late 50's and is original and not worn for about 30 years, please if you know how i can find out more about it , let me know , i think i have uploaded some pics ,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00086-20091021-1727.jpg (97.3 KB, 479 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00093-20091021-1732 00000.jpg (56.3 KB, 474 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00091-20091021-1731.jpg (44.3 KB, 473 views)
bryzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2010, 05:41 AM   #2
datejust1
Banned

Watch: N/A
Well... First welcome to the forum! Second, that the Famous James Bond Sub. Like the one used by Sean Connery in Goldfinger. All I know is that It's a great piece and sells for a lot of money. Other members will chime in soon.

Welcome!

Gaby
datejust1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2010, 05:45 AM   #3
bryzzy

thanks, im really happy it has been passed to me but i am too scared of wearing it in case it gets lost or damaged !!
Old 7 April 2010, 05:49 AM   #4
datejust1
Banned

Watch: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzzy View Post
thanks, im really happy it has been passed to me but i am too scared of wearing it in case it gets lost or damaged !!
Oh... You should! It's a great piece. I love it. Only thing u should consider is, sending it to a service. So It will last longer. Here's a picture of Sean Connery's watch. If I were u, I'd wear it around the house and to special occasions. But not as a daily wearer. It's a watch too good to get lost or damage.

Gaby
datejust1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2010, 05:55 AM   #5
bryzzy

I do plan to wear it now and again on special occasions, now i know its the bond version im searching the web and finding pics of similar watches , all i have been told is that it is totally original except for the bracelet as rolex used to change these when serviced during the 60's and 70's , it has the original face as i have been informed because it has the word swiss under the 6 digit , thanks for your help, brian
Old 7 April 2010, 06:09 AM   #6
Renoir
"TRF" Member

Welcome and congrats on your Submariner. It looks to be either a 5508 or 6536, the model numer is located under the bracelet endlink at the 12 o'clock side, serial number is at the 6 o'clock side.

There are many resources with tons of info on vintage Subs...just google it.

Enjoy your Sub!
Renoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2010, 06:18 AM   #7
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Could you take better pictures of the dial using the macro setting. Natural light would be best.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2010, 06:33 AM   #8
bryzzy

i will take some more pics , and post on here tomorrow , on the dial is 100m, 330ft, submariner, and swiss below the 6 mark , i will try and look under the shoulders and find the model number
Old 7 April 2010, 06:50 AM   #9
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
You will want to add that to your homeowner's or rental insurance policy. Congrats!!
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2010, 06:54 AM   #10
bryzzy

i was thinking of telling my insurance company that i have it at home , it has spent the past 20 years or so in a cupboard , when i told my dad that i was thinking of getting a rolex he told me to have and wear this one as its not been worn for years , he had it serviced regularly though and works fine
Old 7 April 2010, 07:18 AM   #11
MitchSteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage Rolex
Lucky dog!!!!Big congrats, have her serviced and enjoy for another 60 years

Probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival---Capt. Rage

Don't believe anything in aviation, 'till V1---Mitch Danger Steel
MitchSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2010, 07:43 AM   #12
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
The dial is in amazing condition. I do see some cracking on the seconds hand marker...

You want to make sure that whoever touches it recognizes that it is very valuable in it's original condition..

I imagine that everybody who wants to buy it wants to give you much less than it's value..............

We have a bit of information in our Reference Library on early Subs, and an Article on The Bond Submariner...
Old 7 April 2010, 07:53 AM   #13
bryzzy

the second hand has a small piece of paint missing on the lolly pop, apart from that the dial is in excellent condition, i can only put this down to the fact that it has not seen sunlight for about 25 years except for servicing, i have found this forum very useful for information and the topics i have read are proving very valuable in identifying the model type and age of my watch , i will take the bracelet off tomorrow and find the model number, thanks for all your help.....im still not sure about wearing it though, i may buy a newer model to wear . thanks again , brian
Old 7 April 2010, 08:29 AM   #14
jedly1
"TRF" Member

I'm on iPhone only today, but looks like a 6536 ( or maybe 5508) small crown sub, rather than a big crown bond sub. Better scans would help but looks to be nice condition well done !!

Service options will depend on which model 5508 will probably get through Rolex somewhere in the world 6536 won't and needs a good independant.
jedly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2010, 08:42 AM   #15
therolexguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Very nice. Congrats and welcome to TRF.
therolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2010, 02:07 PM   #16
ddnyc77

that is one fantastic sub.... congrats.
ddnyc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2010, 05:55 PM   #17
Jackxv
"TRF" Member

Congrats

Congrat on your watch.

It looks superb, you are one lucky man.
The dial looks amazing.

Enjoy and wear it in health.

Jack
Jackxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2010, 06:05 PM   #18
rizakaniza

Watch: Submariner 5510
bryzzy,
Find out and let us know what the model number is. The reason why everyone wants to buy your watch is because it is very highly collectible and potentially worth quite a bit of money (especially if the hands and dial are original).

For example, I saw a recent auction for a Submariner 5510 that sold for $107,000 USD.
rizakaniza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2010, 06:11 PM   #19
Nicko
Banned

Simply...WOW!

Wear it in good health and don't let anyone talk you out of it!
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2010, 10:20 PM   #20
bryzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizakaniza View Post
bryzzy,
Find out and let us know what the model number is. The reason why everyone wants to buy your watch is because it is very highly collectible and potentially worth quite a bit of money (especially if the hands and dial are original).

For example, I saw a recent auction for a Submariner 5510 that sold for $107,000 USD.
i am taking it to watchfinder.co.uk. they have offered to value it for me free of charge and tell me all they can about the watch. i have a feeling it will be worth more than i want to risk wearing. they have offered to sell it on a comission basis if i want to sell it , i might think about doing that and maybe buying a new model that i can wear , plus it gives someone who is more into vintage rolex's than me, and who would appreciate more what it is , a chance of owning it
Old 8 April 2010, 02:21 AM   #21
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Quote:
i am taking it to watchfinder.co.uk. they have offered to value it for me free of charge and tell me all they can about the watch. i have a feeling it will be worth more than i want to risk wearing. they have offered to sell it on a comission basis if i want to sell it , i might think about doing that and maybe buying a new model that i can wear , plus it gives someone who is more into vintage rolex's than me, and who would appreciate more what it is , a chance of owning it
I think that's the smart thing to do. A collector gets a nice watch, and you get a nice daily wearer Rolex, along with a BMW or something.
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2010, 03:24 AM   #22
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
you've got yourself a 5508 there..but one thing you need to take into consideration is the fact that your original gilt dial and original gilt hands have been re-lumed which bramatically affects the price and collectability of your piece..
where you where looking at 13k now you will be lucky to get 8k IMO..
its a real shame when these rare beauties get destroyed like that..I mean I am not blaming anyone,because who knew that these watches would be come so sought after.
there are a few expert "restorers" around the world(notice I used the word restorer instead of refinisher as they are vastly different practices)who can likely remove the nasty re-lume that was put on it and in many cases they will use old tritium that is mixed in with non-reactive glues to rebuild the original plots and/or hands..I have seen the outcome of one or two of these and some of the work is quite remarkable..just something to think about.either way I wish you the best of luck!
thats a great gift to recieve from the old man!
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2010, 07:56 AM   #23
jedly1
"TRF" Member

steve, odds on you are right but I Wouldn't be so sure on the relume without having it in hand and possibly getting a Geiger on it, pre 59 I've seen quite few original owner watches exhibit what must be a high level of phosphorous material in the mix, gets that green tinge to it in the right light after a bit of exposure. Almost looks and behaves like a weak luminova.

I'm trying to get a Geiger on a few of them.
jedly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2010, 08:12 AM   #24
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
hi , i have just joined this forum as i have recently inherited a rolex submariner and want to find out more about it without someone wanting to buy it as thats all i here when i show it to anyone
Ummm, I'm confused now.

I thought you were NOT selling it....Now you want to....

Now, where have I heard this before...
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2010, 06:16 AM   #25
Some Pair

Watch: The Rollie's.....
Yes, nice to have that 5508 (7mm crown) for sure.
Best of Luck whatever you decide. Do lots of homework.
You've already been given great info. I sold my refinished dial 6538 thru Steve M. a while ago.
Some Pair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2010, 09:36 PM   #26
bryzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
Ummm, I'm confused now.

I thought you were NOT selling it....Now you want to....

Now, where have I heard this before...
I know I said it wasn't up for sale but after careful thought ( well 30 seconds ) and realising I could afford the watch of my dreams ( submariner stainless and gold black face) , and knowing my dad never wore the watch nor wanted it , I had a sudden change of mind
Old 12 April 2010, 01:01 AM   #27
D18

You have my sympathy. I'm going through much the same thought process as I wait for a quote for service to my red submariner.
D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2010, 01:23 AM   #28
CKLinLA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II Black
My suggestion is that if you do decide you want to sell, ... wait. You have an interest in having a Rolex watch and its a watch with family history. Plus whatever its level of 'originality' it remains a special and fairly unique piece.

You said you were planning to get a Rolex before your father gave you this watch. Is getting a newer Rolex (something less costly than that dream black/gold Sub) an appealing option? If so, that would a good way to go.

Remember if you sell, you'll never get that combo of a unique watch with family history again. SO wait (a couple or more months at least) and make sure that you are ok with selling and getting a newer (?) replacement before you do so.
Planet Ocean 215.30.40.20.03.002; Zenith Chronomaster Original 03.3200.3600/22.M3200.
CKLinLA is offline   Reply With Quote