The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 November 2010, 06:10 PM   #1
dannyboy123
"TRF" Member

DSSD and wrist size.

I own a ss sub, had it 12 odd years. In Feb in bought an Oris Diver Small Seconds 47mm.

I have a 6.75" wrist and I find the Oris fine, no one says it looks odd/too big and I get loads of positive comments on it.

I now never wear my sub, just feels too small/dainty. It's due a service, but I'm toying with flipping it and offseting the moola against a new Rolex for me and also one for the wife (10th wedding anni up soon).

I tried on a DSSD at my AD and it felt similar if not bigger than my Oris, which is odd as the Oris is larger. I also tried the new sub which has a slightly bigger case than my old one - prolly a happy medium - however it also felt, just slightly too small.

I also have a high quality Panerai PAM02a rep which I bought to see if I wanted to buy the real thing. That's 44mm. Again I get positive comments on that and none negative.

Whilst I'm no Arnie I do work out regularly and as a result the 'twins' and indeed my forarms are bigger than most guys, so skinny wrist medium guns...............

Who owns a DSSD and bigs yer wrist? I'm used to clipping my larger watches now and again so know that comes with the territory.

http://www.oris.ch/collections/colle...=en&watchid=58

And for the wife;

http://www.rolex.com/en#/rolex-watch...dy-31mm-photo3

Last edited by dannyboy123; 9 November 2010 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: add link to wife propossed gift!!
dannyboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2010, 06:34 PM   #2
notlostyet

I got one wear it everyday wrist size 8.5 inch needed extra links as with all my rolexes but it feels no bigger than yachtmaster or old sea dweller.
notlostyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2010, 10:20 PM   #3
mic6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116718 green
Quote:
Originally Posted by notlostyet View Post
DSSD feels no bigger than yachtmaster or old sea dweller.
?!?!?

Old 9 November 2010, 10:48 PM   #4
pippin

I have 7" wrist and just bought a DSSD. I also own a Panerai. I don't find the DSSD uncomfortable or too big. It is a heavy watch, definitely heavier than the PAM, but I got used to the weight pretty quickly. I think the adjustability of the bracelet definitely helps.

I also agree with you that once you get used to a larger watch it's tough to go back to smaller ones.
pippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2010, 11:09 PM   #5
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
7.25" wrist here -the DSSD case width and weight is fine for me... but just can not get used to the height of the thing.

each to his/her own i guess
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2010, 12:11 AM   #6
WatchnRoll
"TRF" Member

Sigh....the same old topic rehashed again and again...(no offense but I bet this topic has been brought up so many times if you searched it)

The DSSD fits on any wrist size and looks good on guys with smaller wrists (like me) and bigger wrists too.

I am a 6 ft 2 guy but have pretty thin wrists. I wear my DSSD everyday. I sleep in it.

Don't let anyone here tell you it is too big or too thick. That's just all negative perceptions of the watch that are not grounded in reality. If you are not a fan of big watches...then it's not for you.

I prefer a larger watch to the standard 40mm Rolex. The DSSD is the best Rolex made today in my opinion.

Enjoy!
Old 10 November 2010, 03:44 AM   #7
dinan545bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchnRoll View Post
Sigh....the same old topic rehashed again and again...(no offense but I bet this topic has been brought up so many times if you searched it)

The DSSD is the best Rolex made today in my opinion.

Enjoy!
Truly enough said and to each their own.

If you like it, you like it. If not, that's great also!

But there's no denying the legendary heritage, uber engineering, superb materials and workmanship and style of the beast.

Truly worthy of a place in Rolex's impressive lineup.

BEST REGARDS
dinan545bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2010, 03:26 PM   #8
acadianl79

Watch: Rolex Deep sea
Quote:

The DSSD fits on any wrist size and looks good on guys with smaller wrists (like me) and bigger wrists too.

I am a 6 ft 2 guy but have pretty thin wrists. I wear my DSSD everyday. I sleep in it.

Don't let anyone here tell you it is too big or too thick. That's just all negative perceptions of the watch that are not grounded in reality. If you are not a fan of big watches...then it's not for you.

I prefer a larger watch to the standard 40mm Rolex. The DSSD is the best Rolex made today in my opinion.

Enjoy!
+1
acadianl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2010, 03:34 PM   #9
STP

+2 Except I dont sleep with it.

Quote:

Enjoy!
STP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2010, 03:53 PM   #10
fc3s2k
"TRF" Member

Watch: OFFICINE PANERAI
In this day of age with the Large watches are definitely in fashion, it doesn't matter what wrist size you have. I have a small wrist maybe 6.5"(on a good day) and my Pam 177 looks good on me. My co-worker had a replica DSSD that I borrow for a week end and sits higher than my Pam 177, so i'm sticking to 40mm Rolex, especially my SUB
fc3s2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2010, 04:08 PM   #11
Trailblazer
"TRF" Member

Watch: es
I have got a 6.5 wrist and i just gunned the DSSD down last week, had a exp2 which i still think its a great watch but found it too small. Was also on a 47mm RXW prior to DSSD.

Sold the other 2 and very happy with the DSSD, which I doubt i will flip for a long time to come hence I bought new.

If you are into biggies, you are into biggies. No other smaller ones will make you any happier, I went through that myself.

Its a heavy watch though but every time i look at it, the rest turns to dust. Period.
Trailblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2010, 04:14 PM   #12
Trailblazer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STP View Post
+2 Except I dont sleep with it.
I agree on all..except to sleep with it.
Old 10 November 2010, 08:32 PM   #13
dannyboy123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailblazer View Post
If you are into biggies, you are into biggies. No other smaller ones will make you any happier, I went through that myself.
I hear you brother, I hear you. My other (cheaper) option is have sub serviced and keep it, new Rollie for the wife forget about the DSSD and get a gen Pam Luminor Base. I'd then have a gen rollie sub, 47mm Oris Diver and Panerai - AAARRGGHHHH.

I'm 42 now and had a Rollie since I was 19, I think I have to always own a Rollie. I think the DSSD is somehow better than a Panerai (for me), but yet I want that Panerai (like base Radiomir's too).

AAARRRGGGHHHH.
Old 10 November 2010, 08:34 PM   #14
dannyboy123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notlostyet View Post
I got one wear it everyday wrist size 8.5 inch needed extra links as with all my rolexes but it feels no bigger than yachtmaster or old sea dweller.
Jeez, at 8.5" you'll want Rolex to bring out a fiddy milli DSSD spesh!!!
Old 10 November 2010, 11:56 PM   #15
marke
Banned

Watch: Daytona
i love my dssd and have 3 extra links in the bracelet and it looks like a normal watch on my wrist
marke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2010, 12:21 AM   #16
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
"you" wear the watch...not your "wrist".

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2010, 12:33 AM   #17
Frogman4me
Banned

Something must be wrong with me, I have a 6.75 and I won't even consider anything above 42mm. Even then I think it looks too big. I must be a young guy with old taste as I find a watch too big is like shoes too big, just feels funny to me. Each his own on this topic. Cheers
Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2010, 12:45 AM   #18
billyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Danny, I have skinny wrists....had 2 links taken out...fits perfect, in fact far better than my GMT and I gave that to my son as i couldnt see me wearing it for the same reasons you say about your sub due to wearing the Oris.

Get it, too many peeps say its too big...too fat...IT'S AWSESOME...nothing less.

and i wear mine all the time...never comes off
billyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2010, 01:22 AM   #19
Trailblazer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy123 View Post
I hear you brother, I hear you. My other (cheaper) option is have sub serviced and keep it, new Rollie for the wife forget about the DSSD and get a gen Pam Luminor Base. I'd then have a gen rollie sub, 47mm Oris Diver and Panerai - AAARRGGHHHH.

I'm 42 now and had a Rollie since I was 19, I think I have to always own a Rollie. I think the DSSD is somehow better than a Panerai (for me), but yet I want that Panerai (like base Radiomir's too).

AAARRRGGGHHHH.
Erm..for that consideration on a panerai Lum or Rad, I went through that thought process as well, had some serious thoughts and liking for a Rad 183 or a base Lum 111...but having to spend some good money and setting a personal standard on 'value' for a watch movement...i went for the DSSD, after almost 1 year of searching within and without. I have no regrets now with the DS resting proudly beside me as I type this.

I do not rule out I will get the 183 or 111 next year but priority still goes back to the rollie, probably a SubC HULK, something I cant seem to explain properly in words.

My dad set the rollie avalanche on me when he passed me his Date, I was never a fan for this brand from the start. But wearing the Date (year 1991)
and seeing the second hand sweeping smoothly over a clean face, I became a rollie convert and landed myself the DS after considering several other good brands, IWC PAM etc.

The decision is still yours to take and I do appreciate that thought to buy your wifey a nice watch too. Always good to share something nice with a loved one.