The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 3 April 2010, 03:08 PM   #1
Passion For Time
"TRF" Member

DRSD 1665 Dial please check it out.

Hi all i have had my 1665 for almost three months now, finally had a chance today to take some closeup pics of the dial. From the research that i have done i am pretty sure dial is a MK IV dial. Please correct me if i am wrong. Also do you guys think the dial and hands are all original? Any input would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Passion For Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2010, 04:59 PM   #2
jedly1
"TRF" Member

yep

its a mk4, as the dial appears to have been touched up at 59-60min area, someone has definitely been in there working, so the hands are 50:50, the the top shots just looks like legit ones that havent worn as well as the dial, the shot at the bottom takes on a tone that makes them look relumed, it's generally quite hard to be exact without the watch in hand, and even then, you sometimes need the hands off to be 100%.
jedly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2010, 06:02 PM   #3
KlausM
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex +
Dial is a MK IV. You also have an issue with the 30min marker. Hands look ok even though there is some corrosion.
Generally you really need very good pictures when trying to verify authenticity.
BR
Klaus
KlausM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 06:09 AM   #4
Passion For Time
"TRF" Member

Will the touch up effect the dial significantly? Overall from collectors point of view how would my watch rate?
Passion For Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 06:35 AM   #5
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedly1 View Post
its a mk4, as the dial appears to have been touched up at 59-60min area, someone has definitely been in there working, so the hands are 50:50, the the top shots just looks like legit ones that havent worn as well as the dial, the shot at the bottom takes on a tone that makes them look relumed, it's generally quite hard to be exact without the watch in hand, and even then, you sometimes need the hands off to be 100%.

Hi Jedly,
Why do you say touch up? It looks like to me someone was rough with the dial and knocked off the white second markers. Or do you think they chipped the dial and then painted black over it?
Thanks.
Oh, nice watch :)
CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 07:50 AM   #6
jedly1
"TRF" Member

appears to have been painted over with a different tone of black on the 59-60 area.

as klaus said its not AS apparent on the 30 marker, and as the markers are legitimately not there often i didnt comment on that part.

trouble with double reds is the chipping, to remove the moevemnt and get it around the helium valve they have to twist it, and between that and just years of the paint being pressed up firm to the lip they do have a habbit of chipping. weirdly it doesnt happen as much with white dials.. Ive often wondered why ?

as for value .. yes it does affect value :(
jedly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 08:18 AM   #7
KlausM
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex +
The dial might not be a hard core collectors first choice but it is still a nice DRSD!
BR
Klaus
KlausM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 09:47 AM   #8
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausM View Post
The dial might not be a hard core collectors first choice but it is still a nice DRSD!
BR
Klaus
Agreed.... other than the noted damage (and attempted cover up ) the dial is very nice.

I would have the dial professionally repaired and it will look even better, though the value is already permanently affected no matter what you decide to do.
onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote