The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 4 August 2010, 05:59 AM   #1
svenedin
"TRF" Member

1603 Datejust (circa 1968) Questions

I wonder whether I could pick the brains of vintage Rolex enthusiasts? I say "vintage" but I am not sure I am applying the term correctly for my 1968 Datejust.
This was my father's watch and I inherited it in 1990. Soon after I started wearing it the clasp on the jubilee bracelet failed. I took it to the local AD in Edinburgh (also a famous jeweller) and they told me that they could solder the clasp but it would probably fail again. They also thought it had been repaired before. I decided to buy a replacement bracelet but it was a jubilee of a more modern design. This replacement bracelet is now very worn after 20 years of wear.

I would now like to put back the original bracelet but I am unable to. I kept the original but it was stolen along with a very rare white gold, quarter repeating, chronograph pocket watch and some gold watch chains. I am now in the position that I don't know what type of bracelet it was or where to source another one. I do recall that it was a stainless steel with an overhanging crown but it is many years since I saw it.

I know this watch is not remotely rare by Rolex standards but I does have great sentimental value.
Anyhow, here are my questions and thank you in advance for your help. I have searched quite a lot on the net and on this forum but I am still just as confused. Please forgive my ignorance if any of my questions are totally stupid.

1) What bracelet would this watch have had originally?
2) Where might I source the correct bracelet, ideally the same age as the watch?
3) What metal is the bezel on this watch made of? It looks very worn, could it be replaced by Rolex Bexley or is that the wrong thing to do?

Last edited by svenedin; 4 August 2010 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: Edited incorrect model number
svenedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2010, 06:30 AM   #2
pz93c
"TRF" Member

That bezel looks like SS. That would make it a 1603, unless there was an SS 1601. I thought 1601 were SS and gold.

Does the bezel look like this close up? This is a 1603.

Did the clasp look like this?

Mine is a made in the USA clasp. I don't know if there are Swiss clasps made the same way.

Steve Mulholland may be able to help you. He usually has something in stock. Run a search for his user name, stevemulholland3, and drop him a PM.
pz93c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2010, 06:44 AM   #3
glocati
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675/3+16013
Svenedin, by what you have described, it sounds like a 6251 H was the original bracelet paired with it. Also known as a rolled Jubilee.

You can find them. They usually run ~ 250-350 USD here in the States.

As Brian notes, there is a good chance steven mulholland can source you one. You can find him on here or VRF which is the Vintage Rolex Forum.

It is hard to tell from your pic if your bezel is a worn White Gold fluted - which is correct for a 1601 or it has a SS "coin edge" bezel- which is specific to the 1603.

Post up another pic and we can go from there on that item.

IMO, the pie-pan, acrylic crystal DJs are definitely Vintage.

Best, Greg
glocati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2010, 06:57 AM   #4
svenedin
"TRF" Member

Thank you for your replies and the photos. Yes, you are right, it has a coin-edge bezel so it must be a 1603. That clasp looks very similar to the original but mine wasn't made in the USA.
svenedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2012, 04:15 PM   #5
Jimmytsai531122
"TRF" Member

beautiful
Jimmytsai531122 is offline   Reply With Quote