The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 November 2010, 10:05 PM   #1
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Rolex Today and ££££$$$$$$.

Many years ago back in the mid 1970s my Father always wanted a Rolex watch so he took on two jobs and saved for just over 5 years to get his watch.Now he always wanted a Submariner so when he had saved enough money at this time just over £950.Off he went to the AD to buy his watch,and I am sure he did not go with a Lupe to examine ever minute detail of the watch.In those days you just bought a Rolex watch knowing that watch would last a live time and beyond.In those days you bought a Rolex not to try or hope it would go up in value, but to wear hopefully in good health for the rest of your life.Now when my Father got to the AD they showed him the sub,but tried to sell him a 6263 Daytona instead.And they even offered him a discount of £25 of the price,now the Daytona was almost a £100 cheaper than the sub so with the discount plus the cheaper price he bought the Daytona 6263.Now with the money saved he bought my mother a new washing machine,now sadly my Father did not live a lifetime to enjoy his Rolex he died at the age of almost 56.The Daytona now belongs to me but in my life time I would never sell it at any price. It just means to much to me, so when I look at the watch, in my mind see my Fathers face with the proud look admiring his watch.Rolex watches are not always about £££$$$$$$ but something to enjoy and wear hopefully for a very very long life.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2010, 10:35 PM   #2
nowzen
"TRF" Member

"In those days you just bought a Rolex watch knowing that watch would last a lifetime and beyond.
In those days you bought a Rolex not to try or hope it would go up in value, but to wear hopefully in good health for the rest of your life."

-Amen
Thanx for sharing.
nowzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2010, 10:38 PM   #3
Hydrographer

Watch: 116610LN 116613LB
That is a lovely story. Wear it in good health. Nothing can buy sentimental value!
Hydrographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2010, 10:41 PM   #4
Rodmo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3 Subs/2 Daytonas
That is a wonderful story, and a very meaningful watch. Thank you.

When so many consume on credit, it is refreshing to hear of someone working and saving to afford something very special.
Rodmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2010, 10:45 PM   #5
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
Lovely story with many messages for us all.

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2010, 10:45 PM   #6
Speed
"TRF" Member

Thanks Padi...

Please post some new (or old) pics of the watch if you don't mind / when you have a moment.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2010, 10:48 PM   #7
Danand
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I totally agree. I bought my watch first for me to enjoy, and second to pass down to one of my sons. I look at this purchase as I do most other consumer products. Once I've bought it that money is gone. I think it is a mistake for anyone to rationalize a watch puchase as an investment.
(problem is with two sons I CAN rationalize another purchase so I can pass one down to each! ;) )
Danand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2010, 10:52 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Thanks Padi...

Please post some new (or old) pics of the watch if you don't mind / when you have a moment.
Its in below link but please do not reply in that now old thread.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...=special+watch

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 6 November 2010, 10:54 PM   #9
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Many years ago back in the mid 1970s my Father always wanted a Rolex watch so he took on two jobs and saved for just over 5 years to get his watch.Now he always wanted a Submariner so when he had saved enough money at this time just over £950.Off he went to the AD to buy his watch,and I am sure he did not go with a Lupe to examine ever minute detail of the watch.In those days you just bought a Rolex watch knowing that watch would last a live time and beyond.In those days you bought a Rolex not to try or hope it would go up in value, but to wear hopefully in good health for the rest of your life.Now when my Father got to the AD they showed him the sub,but tried to sell him a 6263 Daytona instead.And they even offered him a discount of £25 of the price,now the Daytona was almost a £100 cheaper than the sub so with the discount plus the cheaper price he bought the Daytona 6263.Now with the money saved he bought my mother a new washing machine,now sadly my Father did not live a lifetime to enjoy his Rolex he died at the age of almost 56.The Daytona now belongs to me but in my life time I would never sell it at any price. It just means to much to me, so when I look at the watch, in my mind see my Fathers face with the proud look admiring his watch.Rolex watches are not always about £££$$$$$$ but something to enjoy and wear hopefully for a very very long life.
Thank you my friend.

These watches are ment to be used and enjoyed. The history and memories they acquire are priceless.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2010, 11:00 PM   #10
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Very nice story, describes the heart and soul of Rolex ownership!
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2010, 11:09 PM   #11
TRW
Banned

Watch: 16623 YM
Thx for sharing Sir.I also purchased our Watches for the same reason that Your Father did.
TRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2010, 11:12 PM   #12
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

Very nice story! Thank you for sharing.
Old 6 November 2010, 11:22 PM   #13
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

No wonder you are so high on the 6263 whenever you respond on the forum, GREAT STORY: Great Watch and every time you wear it you will have great memories. Thanks
Casey VP-26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2010, 11:23 PM   #14
Danand
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:

A nice tribute to your Dad. You are very fortunate that you have his watch to remember him by. I have a ring that was my father's and feel the same way about it as you do the Daytona.

Thanks for sharing the stories.
Danand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2010, 11:49 PM   #15
karmatp
"TRF" Member

That is a great story Padi, very heart warming. I also want the watch that my Dad wore daily, I want the bumps and scrapes and the memories. You are a lucky man to have such a great time capsule of your fathers life.
Old 6 November 2010, 11:55 PM   #16
godspeed1208
Banned

i have a watch my dad gave too me..it's precious to me too...i understand how you feel mate ;)
godspeed1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2010, 12:00 AM   #17
RolexABC
"TRF" Member

A very nice read.

A Rolex is much more than money; thinking about it's future value means you miss the biggest joy of ownership. I hope you get to enjoy your watch in the best of health.
RolexABC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2010, 04:37 AM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexABC View Post
A very nice read.

A Rolex is much more than money; thinking about it's future value means you miss the biggest joy of ownership. I hope you get to enjoy your watch in the best of health.
Have to agree must admit lately with many posts on TRF about value will this or that appreciate more than the other.Now this model is finished it will escalate in value etc many think that Rolex is all about money today.As for health, well at the moment things are now looking brighter than they were over the last few years . Myself had a brush with the grim reaper but I would rather not talk about that now.And material things mean very little to me now, as without good health and family, in reality material things mean nothing.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 7 November 2010, 05:06 AM   #19
spuds
"TRF" Member

Watch: West Ham! COYI!!
Great post....

Life is not about how fast you can run or how high you can climb...........
It's about how well you can bounce!!

TRF HALL OF FAME JANUARY 2010
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2010, 05:09 AM   #20
Grissom
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc 18K/SS
Quote:

Peter.....I read your other post, and it was very moving! My father was also in WWII at a very young age. Was part of the Normandy invasion, and like your father, lost many many of his close friends during that time. He actually had left something in another foxhole, so left his, to retrieve it, and moments after leaving, THAT foxhole took a direct mortar hit! Those times seemed to bring to the forefront, people like your father and mine, and countless others, who engaged in incredible acts of bravery, like nothing, on a daily, if not hourly basis. My father is also gone, and I have his simple Timex, on a band he made himself, out of sterling silver, and as has been noted, is in the same "priceless" category of your father's Daytona.

Thank you for sharing such a personal story and the photo's/letter, as well.

We must never forget those days......and the sacrifices made by so many......so that a World War never erupts again........

G-d bless all those who died for our freedom, and may you always have your father in your heart, and close to you, especially when his Daytona is on your wrist!

I am hoping, one day, my son will wear my Daytona, and feel that connection to me, once I am gone......and that he will feel like I am still with him, looking out for him, guiding him, with my watch on his wrist......

Who else needs an Intervention?
(109 297) (137 237) (73 115) (221) (23) (56) (229) P-Club Member #5

RIP JJ Irani - TRF Legend
Grissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2010, 06:21 AM   #21
PHDX2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Day-Date II
Fantastic story. Thanks for sharing!
Old 7 November 2010, 07:51 AM   #22
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
Padi i love your posts, your own and many of the posts you reply to. That is a great story, as i too bought a Sub in 1975 for £336, trading my Omega Speedmaster i bought in the late 60's. You are right, you have that Daytona for life,it is priceless. Take care with your health too. You live not too far from me.
RRGHOST1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2010, 08:00 AM   #23
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Very nice Padi. Great story and a great watch.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2010, 08:24 AM   #24
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I hope my son will someday understand your very same words!

Thanks for sharing!
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2010, 08:36 AM   #25
Lol-x
Facilitator

Is it fair to say that Rolex are so much more than a device to tell the time?

I think they can be appreciated and represent feelings, memories and achievements on many levels.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2010, 09:17 AM   #26
tictocChuck

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Very Nice Story....gives meaning to those precious things that get handed down...and I plan to do the same with my watches when the time comes. I could care less what the market value is of this or that model. Cheers.
tictocChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2010, 10:47 AM   #27
mfer
"TRF" Member

A true grail, not able to be bought! Thanks for bumping this back up Peter.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2010, 10:54 AM   #28
dsio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680 '79
Whoever talked him into the Daytona deserves a beer or two, that's an amazing heirloom.
dsio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2010, 11:25 AM   #29
RoleXavier

Great post Padi.

Made me remember my Dad's "Coke" GMT, he bought in the early 70's, but I never got to wear cause he lost it to the sea

saving my sister's life.

But because, I still wanted to have that feeling of owning and wearing something that my father wore on his wrist, I bought him a

116710LN, for his 70th Birthday!!

So he can use it and scratch it and dent it as he pleases!!! In due time, someday that GMT-II will be "bequeath" to me.

As you can see, In a way, It is me, the one that longs to have that "once in a lifeltime" feeling, of receiving and wearing something that

belonged to my father...
RoleXavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2010, 11:50 AM   #30
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

It's what you call a true priceless Rolex.