The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 November 2010, 01:14 AM   #1
qulhey22

Watch: GMT II c 11/2010
Help buying my first Rolex this week

Hello everyone. I am getting ready to buy my first Rolex GMT Master II stainless.

I understand the benefits of buying from an authorized dealer. I also have contacted jewelers who are "not" authorized dealers and they say they can get a New In Box with card, papers, box etc for $6,250 from an authorized dealer when the authorized dealer is selling it new for $7,275.

After talking with Rolex they are saying it is not possible for an authorzed dealer to sell it through a non authorized dealer.

I am fortunate to be in a position to buy through an authorized dealer with the higher cost but i can't ignor the cost difference if there is validity to it.

Can anyone help me understand the process of obtaining a 100% authentic Rolex?
Thanks in advance.
qulhey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2010, 01:33 AM   #2
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Have a look at the FS section right here on TRF instead

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2010, 01:45 AM   #3
snog
"TRF" Member

gz on the buying to be you will be able to get a discount from the AD as well,if they play hard show them the card/cash and if still no good then on to the next AD,there is really no need to buy at full price unless you are buying a model that has just come out and hard to get,such as the sub c but even that is starting to get discount,the only benifit to buying from a non AD is lower price but in that case you also "buy" the seller first ie trust him 100% but in alot of cases a good AD will discount enough to make the extra homework involved in finding a trustfull non AD a bit of a waste of time and as you say you really don't need too,why not enjoy the AD buying experience and getting them to discount
snog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2010, 01:52 AM   #4
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
If it's brand new in box with papers...and all trusted sellers on here supply everything...then, yes you miss out on the "AD experience" but you save hard $$$.

I bought my first couple of rolex through my AD....then I got the nerve up to buy on here from davidsw....and 6 smooth transactions later.... You get my drift I'm sure.

Good luck either way. It's a fantastic watch. And remember to post pics!

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2010, 01:57 AM   #5
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
The only point to make about whether you buy from an AD or gray dealer is know the seller. There are many great gray dealers on this Forum who offer good discounts so the choice is yours!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2010, 03:45 AM   #6
brianwentland
"TRF" Member

Agreed- lots of great sellers right here in this forum - many wonderful watches at great prices....
brianwentland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2010, 03:59 AM   #7
ratae1950
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snog View Post
gz on the buying to be you will be able to get a discount from the AD as well,if they play hard show them the card/cash and if still no good then on to the next AD,there is really no need to buy at full price unless you are buying a model that has just come out and hard to get,such as the sub c but even that is starting to get discount,the only benifit to buying from a non AD is lower price but in that case you also "buy" the seller first ie trust him 100% but in alot of cases a good AD will discount enough to make the extra homework involved in finding a trustfull non AD a bit of a waste of time and as you say you really don't need too,why not enjoy the AD buying experience and getting them to discount
Hey Snog, did you attend the same school as Vicky Pollard?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLd3-...eature=related
Old 10 November 2010, 03:15 PM   #8
snog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratae1950 View Post
Hey Snog, did you attend the same school as Vicky Pollard?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLd3-...eature=related

love that show but rather than taking the piss how about helping the OP.
Old 10 November 2010, 03:56 PM   #9
fc3s2k
"TRF" Member

Watch: OFFICINE PANERAI
Justrolexes
DavidSW
BodyBump
Mosco
just to name a few
fc3s2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2010, 04:13 PM   #10
ciscopro2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
I am in the same situation as the OP so I will be following this thread with interest. Question, if you buy from one of the trusted sellers on TRF and they have a BNIB item and assuming that it is a USA model, will you still get the Rolex 2-year warranty? I am still confused about the gray market. Is there any warranty for gray market? Will Rolex USA still service gray market items? How will you know a Rolex is gray market? Thank you.
ciscopro2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2010, 11:59 PM   #11
qulhey22

Watch: GMT II c 11/2010
Very thankful for your replies. What I gather from the replies is there is something to be experienced by going into an AD and also I didn't know AD's can discount. The two I called locally and in New Orleans as well as San Diego said the price is what it is and Rolex discourages discounts.

After reading lots of topics, it seems like this is going to be addictive, therefore, my second purchase (two tone yachtmaster when I turn 40 lol) I may go the gray market. I have had very good feelings about a couple of gray market dealers and trust them. Just slight doubt if maybe something was passed to them that may have been modified with non Rolex parts that may have been over looked.

Thanks to all and I will be sure to post a pic once I make the long awated purchase.
qulhey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2010, 01:28 AM   #12
Sunshine
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV
Bodybump
Old 11 November 2010, 03:17 AM   #13
snog
"TRF" Member

ADs can spot a newbie a mile off,they also don't like to talk discounts over the phone,you can get anywhere from 10-20% off,a few will not move on price but a lot will,independent ADs are better than the chain stores which will have set prices,make it know that you will be buying that day, if the price is right and that you are not just window shopping,also going to a store that is not in a prime location can help with discounts,if the store has a steady flow of customers they are less likely to play ball.