The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 February 2011, 03:50 PM   #1
Randy72379

Watch: 16014 SS
Icon5 1601 DateJust

I plan on purchasing another datejust in the near future. I had my mind set on a mid 1980's TT 16013. I called Capetown to inquire about it and within the hour they called me back to inform me that it has been sold and the web site needs updating. So that put an end to that. However, reading through the vintage forum I see that many members here favor vintage pieces and for good reasons. There seems to be a lot of positive posts regarding vintage pieces especially the 1601 which many members here say has the "Work Horse" movement (1570). Earlier yesterday afternoon I was browsing through Capetown's inventory and stumbled upon this http://www.capetownstore.com/Merchan...e=Rolex-C-GDJT I think it will really neat to have a vintage piece like a 1601. The watch looks good and of course it would suite me fine. Also, if I do decide on this watch, I'd be appreciative of the fact that I am now the curator of a fine vintage Rolex. I'm curious as to the opinions of fellow forum members about this piece. Believe it or not I already had a friend tell me I'd be CRAZY to spend $2K on a watch that old Rolex or not, then again, thats coming from a guy who wears a Baume & Mercier. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated. Regards,- Randy
Randy72379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2011, 04:04 PM   #2
enbro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust
I have that exact watch, but missing the two-tone bracelet...I added a plain SS Oyster bracelet. My bezel is the same, 14k. Same coloured face and everything. I really like this colour of dial, not sure what it's called but it's like an metallic ivory colour. Mine is a 1964. I've had it since 1995, it's been serviced twice and it runs flawlessly. It's a beautiful watch, and people always comment on it. I don't know why, but I think the older ones look better for some reason...slightly different shape maybe? The pie pan dial gives them a nice look, imho.

Mine is a non-quickset which can be a pain, but you just have to wear it all the time then no problems! The acrylic crystals will crack, I've cracked 2 of them now from banging on things like doors or whatever. The Jubilee bracelet can be prone to "stretching" but that one appears to be fine. You might ask them about that, "How stretched out is the band?" A stretchd two-tone bracelet can't really be fixed and is expensive to replace.

That particular one that you linked too appears to be in excellent condition and is a one-owner watch it seems? Maybe a bit pricey but it's perfect and has good history which makes it mighty appealing.

I did see a nice example for sale here in the for sale section, without a bracelet for $1800...did you see that one? Pretty nice and you could add a new SS bracelet for about $400-500.
enbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2011, 05:01 PM   #3
glocati
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675/3+16013
I agree with enbro's comments. 1601s are great. The pie pan dial gives it a sweet vintage look and the 1570 movement is indeed rock solid. The lack of a quick set date is a small negative but i have not found it to be too big of an issue. 1601s in SS or tu-tone are great values too as you can find very nice examples of either for 2K or less.
They made them for a long production run so there are a lot of them out there.

Have fun with your search.
glocati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2011, 03:06 AM   #4
bran319

I have a '77 1603 which has been a fantastic watch. Probably my most comfy one to wear and keeps excellent time to within a couple seconds a day consistently over the past several years.

Don't let anyone chide you, these watches may be old in human years, but they have very long lives so it's definitely relative. I have no doubts mine will be ticking away on my son's wrist long after I'm gone.
bran319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2011, 03:15 AM   #5
JimSnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ask me later.....
My everyday watch. A 1966 1601
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (76.1 KB, 230 views)
Old 27 February 2011, 06:38 AM   #6
Randy72379

Watch: 16014 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSnyder View Post
My everyday watch. A 1966 1601
Very nice Jim.
Randy72379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2012, 03:14 PM   #7
Jimmytsai531122
"TRF" Member

Beautiful piece