The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 9 July 2005, 06:50 PM   #1
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Zeno 44mm Pilot Watch

At 44mm, this watch is now the in fashion size. The 3 piece case is machined from 416L surgical grade stainless steel. It has a nice polished finish, which is evident over the entire case, including between the lugs, and on the rear bezel that surrounds the view back. The finish is very even, and is executed in a workman like manner. The case, including crystal, is 13.7mm thick, though the diameter of the case makes it look thinner. The lugs are 22mm apart. The case back, which comprises a stainless bezel into which is set the view crystal, pressure fit into the case back,the watch is water resistant to 30m. The crown is signed with Zeno's Swiss cross, inside a shield. This appears to be acid etched, and is a nice touch.

Movement:Unitas 17 jewel hand winding, calibre 6497/8
They do a 47mm version as well.

The watch is fitted with an ETA/Unitas stem wound pocket watch movement of lignes (36.6mm) in diameter. It is 4.5mm high. It is Incabloc shock protected, has an autonomy of 46 hrs,
This brute of a movement, which has been around since 1950s, has powered many fine and extremely expensive watches. However, in this iteration, it looks to be what it is, a workhorse movement, no more, no less, and completely undecorated. It ticks away strongly under the view crystal, with the huge balance wheel looking as though it would tow a truck!! There is not even any evidence of polishing on the plates, no blued screws, just a few of the 17 rubies glowing somewhere in that great mass of a movement. It should however prove to be a strong and reliable movement, which at this price, is all you can ask!

Dial and crystal

Extremely busy, best describes the dial of this watch!! There is minutes chapter with Arabic numbers around the outside of the dial, which can be read at 100 paces!,Hands are white lacquered fils tipped radium style and are filled with Luminova compound. The sub seconds hand is plain white lacquered fils. The minutes chapter, and the main hands are coated with Luminova, which glows strongly when exposed to light. From my experience of Zeno watches, I would expect them to give off sufficient light to remain readable for at least 8 hours. The markings are printed directly onto the dial. The covering of luminous compound is thick and even, and under magnification the whole effect is crisp, without overprinting or blurring. I have always liked the quality of Zeno's dial printing. Other manufacturers could learn a thing or two, and a few should feel ashamed!! There are mineral crystals front, and rear. The front is cambered, and the rear is flat. Both are acceptable for a watch of this price, but sapphire would be my material of choice. Neither shows any sign of a glare proof coating.

Strap:

The strap is unusual it flatters to deceive! The 22mm black waxed leather strap LOOKS for all the world like an expensive item, ala Panerai. It appears to be hand stitched, perhaps it is, and is extremely imposing, but on closer examination, it is not quite what it seems! Leather, yes, hand stitched, probably, handsome, definitely!, but not expensive. It is perfectly adequate, well made, and would fit a 12inch wrist, and I prefer it to the brown calf item normally fitted to this watch. (The tan strap, is an option, but free to special order) It is fitted with a well made manufacturers deployment clasp, which is push button operated, and has the benefit of a safety lock. Overall, at this price, an excellent bit of kit. I like it!!

Documentation, box and packaging:

The watch is delivered in a good quality wooden (looks like cherry) box, adorned with a bronzed Zeno medallion, about 45mm in diameter on the lid. A really nice touch for a watch of this price! It has a white cardboard slip case. The instruction leaflet, warranted document is not a big production, but nevertheless, adequate. A fine, good quality package, which at this price point is deserving of high praise!!

Conclusion: for the price £265 very good value for money
Timing out of the box around + 4 secs 24 hours very good.

A big watch, with shed loads of character,if you like this kind of thing (and I do), it is probably the best watch of its type at the price period. Were it to bear other manufacturers names, you would be happy to pay £1000/£1500 for it. Its quality is evident, in feel,looks, and execution. It will attract attention and admiration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4136.jpeg (29.5 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpeg 4136-5.jpeg (36.1 KB, 300 views)

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder

Last edited by padi56; 9 July 2005 at 11:40 PM..
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2005, 06:03 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Like ORIS, Zeno too are very good value for money.

When you compare their relatively low prices with those of other high-end Swiss manufacturers, it makes you really wonder what the profit margin is on those high-end watches.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2005, 06:07 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

About 350% JJ

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 11 July 2005, 01:54 PM   #4
J.Wong
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor/Rolex Divers
very nice piece there padi, its got all the details of a great timepiece, with only a fraction of the price!! ( i outta find something like this, something that i can afford )
Member #88
Instagram : @jwlife37
J.Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2005, 04:38 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

John Zeno quite a old Swiss company,very good value for money.The price in some of the so called high end brands,dont always buy you the best quality.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 11 July 2005, 10:23 PM   #6
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
JJ, at 44 mm, this is your kind of watch.

So when are you getting one? LOL!!

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2005, 04:56 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

That OMEGA PO was an exception to my collection. It's gonna be ONLY Rolex, Rolex and Rolex henceforth.

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 12 July 2005, 05:30 AM   #8
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
That OMEGA PO was an exception to my collection. It's gonna be ONLY Rolex, Rolex and Rolex henceforth.
So the PO is going to get stuffed for a black ExpII, huh?

I wonder... who buys up JJ's hand-me-downs?? If I was a collector in Auckland, I'd wait until JJ has found the next best thing and buy it when he trades in. LOL I'd save a tonne of $$ off retail and get a LNIB watch.
Old 12 July 2005, 07:25 PM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Yes much as I like my Rolex watches and always will,there are still brands of lesser
pedigree, that I like and collect as well..

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 13 July 2005, 04:30 AM   #10
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
So the PO is going to get stuffed for a black ExpII, huh?

I wonder... who buys up JJ's hand-me-downs?? If I was a collector in Auckland, I'd wait until JJ has found the next best thing and buy it when he trades in. LOL I'd save a tonne of $$ off retail and get a LNIB watch.
Who said anything about selling anything? If and when it happens (???), the black Exp-II will be an addition to the family!!

JJ

Old 13 July 2005, 05:54 AM   #11
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Who said anything about selling anything? If and when it happens (???), the black Exp-II will be an addition to the family!!

JJ
Does Zemina know that? Or are you just gonna sleep on the couch for a month?

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2005, 05:26 PM   #12
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Shhhhhhhhhhh....I believe in action first, consolations later...

Old 16 July 2005, 10:30 AM   #13
Sam

Watch: Yes...too many!!!
Good choice...

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2006, 02:10 AM   #14
wkolger

Padi, after reading your review on this watch im going to buy one of these shortly. This is a far better value than the Hamilton imho. Any other thoughts
on this since this writing?

Bill
wkolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2006, 02:32 AM   #15
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkolger
Padi, after reading your review on this watch im going to buy one of these shortly. This is a far better value than the Hamilton imho. Any other thoughts

Bill
Bill the watch is great value for the money,think they do a 47mm model as well.Keeps great time as well,and the beauty is every high street good watchmaker can service, get parts if needed.Would have liked it to be 100m W/R instead of the 30m but its not a problem.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 4 May 2006, 02:59 AM   #16
wkolger

30 meters was a question for me too. I called their Dallas office and ask
about just wearing it in a pool or at the beach, they didnt have a problem
with it.

Master pilots auto 44mm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p554ab_glam.jpg (41.2 KB, 248 views)
Old 4 May 2006, 03:01 AM   #17
Atomic

Peter, didn't you get an RXW Marina Militaire a while back?

If so, how's that holding up?
Old 4 May 2006, 03:37 AM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Peter, didn't you get an RXW Marina Militaire a while back?

If so, how's that holding up?
Must admit have not worn it a lot lately,still keeping time as good, if not better than a few Rolex I have.Infact someone wanted to buy it a few weeks ago, for more than what I paid for it,I was tempted but said no.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 4 May 2006, 03:38 AM   #19
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56
Must admit have not worn it a lot lately,still keeping time as good, if not better than a few Rolex I have.Infact someone wanted to buy it a few weeks ago, for more than what I paid for it,I was tempted but said no.
It's running the Unitas 6497 too, right?
Old 4 May 2006, 04:15 AM   #20
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
It's running the Unitas 6497 too, right?
Yes thats correct but its not the base model 6497, its a higher grade one not sure which one.Like the eta 2824 there are several grades.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 4 May 2006, 04:47 AM   #21
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Quote:
Shhhhhhhhhhh....I believe in action first, consolations later...
It is oftern easier to ask forgiveness , than it is to ask for permission
Go JJ Go, Go JJ Go.. we'd love to see you add one more to your collection. Maybe then get a NATO strap for it.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2006, 04:48 AM   #22
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini
It is oftern easier to ask forgiveness , than it is to ask for permission
Go JJ Go, Go JJ Go.. we'd love to see you add one more to your collection. Maybe then get a NATO strap for it.
That post of mine is dated 12th of July 2005. A lot has transpired since then, John!!

Old 4 May 2006, 05:43 AM   #23
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
30 meters was a question for me too. I called their Dallas office and ask
about just wearing it in a pool or at the beach, they didnt have a problem
with it.

Master pilots auto 44mm
The problem with the Master Pilot is that the date window is much too small for the dial. It gets lost in there.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2006, 06:59 AM   #24
wkolger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex
The problem with the Master Pilot is that the date window is much too small for the dial. It gets lost in there.
Yes i agree it is rather small, but for the money i can live with it. I would also
like to thank everyone for their help and advice. This is an excellent forum

Bill
Old 4 May 2006, 07:03 AM   #25
Mrdi
Banned

Quote:

Bill
The Zeno is:

Hand wound Bill.
But it comes with a CO2 cartridge encased, to inflate the enclosed PFD.
It is, after all, 44mm.
Great when you are out on those big oil rigs.

I think thier quartz model comes with an EPERB unit,
even better.
Mrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2006, 07:36 AM   #26
wkolger

Mrdi.....the PFD is what sold me