The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 22 January 2018, 03:15 AM   #1
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

What timekeeping would be acceptable to you ?

On a 38 year old watch ?

Mine is running a regular 15 secs fast per day. While it doesn't bother me . . I actually enjoy the process of re-setting it every 3 or 4 days. Almost like the experience you get with a manual.

However, is this generally acceptable for 1980 Sub 1680 ? Should I only be concerned if it changes suddenly and then look at a service ? Think the last RSC service was 2013. Not a long time if we were talking about a modern piece.

I'm asking because I'm relatively new to vintage and I would not want to think I was causing damage to a watch that I wear everyday and my favourite piece.

Thanks
nigelUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 05:54 AM   #2
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
I have a -78 1680, a -78 1675 and a -72 1625. I have had them all regulated to less than 30s fast per month. The 1575 movement is capable of that. This is something that only slowly changes throughout the years and if they are running to slow/fast for my liking I have them regulated again. It is usually years between the regulations.

Maybe you just need to have it regulated?
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 07:09 AM   #3
teb1013
"TRF" Member

Not officially vintage, but I have a 28 year old Datejust that ran about +14 spd when I got it, but after full service has been running + 2 spd or less. Is there a time that the watch can’t be serviced and brought up to COSC or close thereto? I see a lot of fine watches in particular a Rootbeer GMT that I have my eyes on but I’d like to know what to expect accuracy wise if I’m willing to pay for full service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
teb1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 07:54 AM   #4
John Ireland
"TRF" Member

You'll be so much happier when you have it regulated. It should be something they can do while you wait...though it might be worth making an appointment. And it would be worth make a log of time checks. Do it over a one week period, being constant on the time of day you check the watch, and how long the watch is off your wrist at night. The position you rest the watch in can also impact on the overall gain or loss per day. Resting on its side (on the nine) or on the crown (the three) or on its back (dial up) or face down (the case back up). But for that I would do a second week of time checks. Then present the information to the watch maker when you have the watch regulated. My 1018 was just recently serviced and runs +/- 2 sec per day and I rest it on its back, face up. My 1013 is losing about 15 sec per day but has no recent service history. I've been compiling a gain/loss log I'm taking it in for an inspection and regulation this coming week.
John Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 03:45 AM   #5
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
It would not bother me, 15s per day is accurate enough
Old 23 January 2018, 03:55 AM   #6
Frogman4me
Banned

To be honest I don't care much about time keeping on my vintage watches. As long as it runs I am happy. I rarely wear the same watch for more than a day or two consecutively though and I enjoy winding and setting my watches.
Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 05:11 AM   #7
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys for your input .
nigelUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 03:17 PM   #8
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Most 15xx series balances have been slowed and sped a few times. Hypothetically if one screw or the other is not exactly tweaked the same...even off 1/2 of a notch over 16 regulations it could be pretty far out of poise. It's a little tricky to get them back. Some are inherently better than others and always were. I just got a 1675 from a friend that was losing a lot of time. It was pretty far out of poise. He's at + 4 a day resting dial up now. He's much happier. He watches pretty close and he's pretty detail conscious. He is a very prominent and well known electric guitarist. He says it seems to lose 1 second during the day and gain 5 back dial up at night. That's well within spec for that watch. Individual wearing habits could make more variance than that. It was as close as I felt I could make it given the parameters I started with. Some of the positions are a little wide but still in spec at full wind. It's 40+ years old. it's been worked on a few times. I didn't service the movement as it had been done recently by someone else.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 01:47 AM   #9
ChrisB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer I
*** Duplicating my entry in another "accuracy thread" here ***
I have been advised by my dealer, who contacted RSC in UK on my behalf, that Rolex targets -4/+10 s per day for older watches (not the COSC standard of -4/+6). My 1972 1016 is currently running at -7 for the last 3 months after 4 months close to perfect so if it stays like that I will get it regulated under warranty (out of service last October); on the other hand it may be related t the heatwave we have had in UK so I'll now see if the watch settles back to more accurate timekeeping
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 08:50 AM   #10
Model12
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ireland View Post
You'll be so much happier when you have it regulated. It should be something they can do while you wait...though it might be worth making an appointment. And it would be worth make a log of time checks. Do it over a one week period, being constant on the time of day you check the watch, and how long the watch is off your wrist at night. The position you rest the watch in can also impact on the overall gain or loss per day. Resting on its side (on the nine) or on the crown (the three) or on its back (dial up) or face down (the case back up). But for that I would do a second week of time checks. Then present the information to the watch maker when you have the watch regulated. My 1018 was just recently serviced and runs +/- 2 sec per day and I rest it on its back, face up. My 1013 is losing about 15 sec per day but has no recent service history. I've been compiling a gain/loss log I'm taking it in for an inspection and regulation this coming week.
I agree with John's method. I had a service on my 5500 and the time was +9 average for day time wear. Kept time logs for 6 weeks, then took it back for adjustment, and now it will stay +3 for day wear, and I manually adjust by storing overnight on its back, or stem up or down, depending on the variation. I check it once at bedtime and "adjust via placement". Hell, it's fun!!!!

Weird that my watch loses more seconds with the stem down vs the stem up as is per normal convention. I guess that's why the time logs are valuable.
Model12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 11:05 AM   #11
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

My daily wear 1968 1603 has gained a minute since the first. It is a 1570 of course and was 'serviced' in 2015. I have no idea what was done, it came from the seller that way. I've had more accurate ones over the years but this isn't irritating enough to worry about.

Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 12:26 PM   #12
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

My 1680, 1675, 5513, and 1601 were all dead accurate.
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote