The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 March 2018, 08:49 AM   #31
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
I have no problem with homage watches. I do like Steinhart but my preference is Squale. They also use a ETA 2824-2 movement and their case size is 40mm as opposed to Steinharts 42mm & their cyclops is 2.5 magnification.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2018, 10:10 AM   #32
lucevan le stelle
"TRF" Member

An "affordable" watch is fine with me, and sometimes an incredibly smart buy, but not an out and out homage.

I think of that as the theft of someone else's intellectual property and design creativity.
lucevan le stelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2018, 10:46 AM   #33
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucevan le stelle View Post

I think of that as the theft of someone else's intellectual property and design creativity.

I don’t necessarily disagree. Although you could possibly say that for non-Homage as well watches as many popular designs are copied by other brands regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 March 2018, 12:23 PM   #34
osamu
"TRF" Member

I've always taken the position that I am okay with homages of vintage watches. Most are hard if not impossible to find in good condition, even if you could, impossibly expensive, and come with a host of other issues I would not care to deal with. Homages of vintage watches are just that, a homage to a legendary watch of the past.

"homages" of modern, popular, easy to find and buy brand new... are just someone wants the same look without spending the money.

I personally don't own either, and most likely wouldn't (although have been tempted by a few Milsub homages).
osamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2018, 05:19 AM   #35
lucevan le stelle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
I don’t necessarily disagree. Although you could possibly say that for non-Homage as well watches as many popular designs are copied by other brands regularly.

Right, but I think that we all have seen/know the blatant ones. Even if they would put a sterile dials on them it is clearly the product of someone else's creativity and design skills.
lucevan le stelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 09:19 AM   #36
Paul7
Banned

IMHO Steinhart is 85%+ of the quality of a Rolex at 5% of the price. 300' waterproof, sapphire crystal, 316L steel, good looking, tough, mine is -.6 seconds slow per day. Amazing what a great watch can be produced from a company that doesn't have to spend millions of advertising, retail stores, and celebrity sports contracts.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 10:29 AM   #37
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
IMHO Steinhart is 85%+ of the quality of a Rolex at 5% of the price. 300' waterproof, sapphire crystal, 316L steel, good looking, tough, mine is -.6 seconds slow per day. Amazing what a great watch can be produced from a company that doesn't have to spend millions of advertising, retail stores, and celebrity sports contracts.

When you don’t have to do any design work - you just steal from others.

When you don’t have to do any R&D - you just slap in a $100-$200 movement.

There are a lot of less expensive watches that were honestly designed and built by respected watch brands. No need to buy cheap fakes.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 11:06 AM   #38
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Holy Batman this is an old thread.

Old 23 April 2019, 12:10 PM   #39
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
Holy Batman this is an old thread.

Ugh, you’re right. Got sucked in by the revival.
Old 23 April 2019, 12:56 PM   #40
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
Ugh, you’re right. Got sucked in by the revival.

Still kinda like the Steinhart though lol

Old 24 April 2019, 02:36 AM   #41
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
When you don’t have to do any design work - you just steal from others.
Rolex wasn't the first to come out with a diver watch, lots of companies make them today.

Quote:
When you don’t have to do any R&D - you just slap in a $100-$200 movement.
It isn't the design work that makes a sub expensive, it's the advertising, retail stores and celebrity endorsements. Any company operating on the new internet-based model will be able to offer their products for less. I've heard estimates it costs Rolex about $800 to make a sub, you aren't paying that high price to cover their design costs. Have you ever handled a Steinhart?

The ETA movement is pretty good, my Steinhart is more accurate than my Rolex DJ FWIW.

Quote:
There are a lot of less expensive watches that were honestly designed and built by respected watch brands. No need to buy cheap fakes.
So if a drug patent runs out and a generic comes out at a fraction of the price, are you going to complain it isn't original? That's just the way product marketing works, whether you're talking watches, purses, cars or clothing. I reject the notion that wearing a similar looking to Rolex watch is somehow unethical. A fake is a watch that says Rolex but isn't, period. Not knocking Rolex, I have one and I recently bought my wife a new DJ, I'm saying if you want a well-made, accurate sport watch you don't have to lay out $8K for a Rolex, if you can even buy one these days. We are on a non-Rolex forum after all. If you have to have the crown and you hang out with people who look for the crown, than by all means knock yourself out. In the years I've worn my Rolex I've never gotten one comment on it.

I think if Rolex continues in the direction of more expensive hard to get luxury watches, more people will take a look at very solid alternatives. Christopher Ward is another good up and coming brand. IMHO Steinhart is what Rolex was 40+ years ago, a solid well made sport watch for a reasonable price.
Old 24 April 2019, 03:03 AM   #42
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
Rolex wasn't the first to come out with a diver watch, lots of companies make them today.
Most of those companies aren’t counterfeiters. Steinhart, largely, is.

Quote:
Have you ever handled a Steinhart?
Nope. Nor do I handle Louis Wuitton, or Nermés, or Cucci, or other knock-off products.

Quote:
IMHO Steinhart is what Rolex was 40+ years ago, a solid well made sport watch for a reasonable price.

If you admire Steinhart so much, why not buy one of their original designs rather than a Rolex knock-off? You may have convinced yourself, but I don’t think you’re convincing others that you’re not just after a Rolex without paying for it.
Old 24 April 2019, 03:06 AM   #43
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags View Post
I have no problem with homage watches. I do like Steinhart but my preference is Squale. They also use a ETA 2824-2 movement and their case size is 40mm as opposed to Steinharts 42mm & their cyclops is 2.5 magnification.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A couple things I prefer with Steinhart is their 39mm size fits my 6.5" wrist better and they use a non-glare coating on the underside of the sapphire crystal making the watch more readable. 40mm just doesn't work for me. If Rolex made one in 39mm I'd consider it.
Old 24 April 2019, 03:10 AM   #44
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Most of those companies aren’t counterfeiters. Steinhart, largely, is.
Bunk, the definition of counterfeit is, 'made in exact imitation of something valuable or important with the intention to deceive or defraud'. They don't say Rolex, and if they're committing fraud why isn't Rolex suing them? Is a generic drug a 'counterfeit'?

Quote:
Nope. Nor do I handle Louis Wuitton, or Nermés, or Cucci, or other knock-off products.
So you're really not very well informed on this topic, got it. I used to think like you until I saw one, there isn't anything cheap about Steinhart. You're thinking of Invicta. It's like someone giving an opinion here on Rolex who's never seen one.

Quote:
If you admire Steinhart so much, why not buy one of their original designs rather than a Rolex knock-off? You may have convinced yourself, but I don’t think you’re convincing others that you’re not just after a Rolex without paying for it.
Do these 'others' include other Steinhart owners on this thread? Almost nobody is looking at my watch, or yours. A RF member would tell right away it isn't a Rolex, not that I care.
Old 24 April 2019, 03:51 AM   #45
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by osamu View Post
"homages" of modern, popular, easy to find and buy brand new... are just someone wants the same look without spending the money.
'Easy to find and buy', that leaves out a lot of Rolex watches.
Old 24 April 2019, 03:58 AM   #46
Burlington
"TRF" Member

There is a clear difference between a fake/replica and a homage/lookalike.

One tries to pass off as something it’s not, the other borrows some of the design cues which are popular with consumers. Usually the main giveaway is the name/ logo on the dial.

If someone recognises the value of Rolex is beyond the brand recognition, then I don’t see why anyone would have too much a problem with a homage design.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote