The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 15 January 2019, 02:45 PM   #1
Soccerob
"TRF" Member

Questions to ask for history of sub 5512 4 line

New here.
I’m trying to help my father with my grandfathers sub 5512 which he thinks is from the late 60’s. The bezel dial is missing and my task is to find out if we can afford to fix with original vintage part or sell to a collector. I’ve spent all day researching this model. I can tell it’s a 5512. It does have 4 lines and it has the earlier depth rating with the meters first. (200m-600ft). The lines are barely visible and worn.

Also below the 6 there isn’t an exclamation point but the word SWISS only. In pics I’ve found the word SWISS is followed by letters and number.

I have a reputable watchsmith but I’m so reluctant to leave the watch with anyone. I plan to go this week, I want to verify it’s a 5512.
What should I be provided or what information should I ask for once he opens the case ?
Serial number is obvious. Will the guts of the watch have a date of assembly?
Any thoughts on what to do or concious quests of what a dial from the 5512 era goes for and should I even explore? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5B57E210-2BF8-4C1A-B6CD-6F48B4B10AF7.jpeg (142.8 KB, 200 views)
Soccerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 03:51 PM   #2
cajuntiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5512
Can you post better images in daylight? I would be cautious who you let work on this. Id suggest you send it to someone that understands vintage watches and knows not to touch the dial or hands. There are several watchmakers we can recommend if you choose to service it, but be prepared to spend a fair amount to get it serviced properly + find a proper period correct bezel and insert. If you are thinking about selling it, I would leave it as-is. Most collectors are anal about servicing vintage and you can do more harm than good. Looks like early 60's (pre 1964)

@heuerautavia
cajuntiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 10:17 PM   #3
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Take daylight pics with no flash

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 01:15 AM   #4
juneja
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6542
My opinion fwiw... I wouldn't touch it, even if it needs a service the movement is the least of any collector's worries. Better pics showing the case from all angles and more dial pics with as little reflection as possible would be required for any sale.

You could get a bezel and insert if you wanted to, but it's a minefield if you're new to this and there are a ton of fakes around. Also collectors can get them easily and I don't think it will add enough value to your offering... if you were a dealer then perhaps it would because many buyers will buy from dealers at a slight premium for peace of mind (we have a saying ' buy the seller'), but being a new private seller yourself you're unlikely to recoup the costs/hassle of getting the correct bezel and insert.

Looks promising from what I can see, but better pictures are a must. I'd be interested to see what's causing the marker plots to shine like that, from here, and without clearer pictures or actually handling the watch, they look like they've been retouched and/or sealed in some way.

I also agree with previous posters who would be wary of letting a watchmaker touch it, most collectors have their own preferred watchmakers whom they entrust with such pieces.

Good luck in any case!
juneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 03:17 AM   #5
1665fan
"TRF" Member

The lume looks shiny....wonder if was ever re done. Nice watch for sure
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 01:15 PM   #6
Soccerob
"TRF" Member

Here are better pics.
There is no way to see any of the Serial # it’s worn off ?
Hasn’t been any other owners besides my father and grand father.
The cake of the radium is coming off

Thanks guys. I will give an update. From the sounds of everything my father will most likely not spend the money on a bezel. It’s his call in the end I’m having pics taken of the inside, no one’s going to touch it or work on it.

Moren watch out of silver spring md is going to ope it up for me. There a third generation shop who actually serviced my father’s Omega DeVille in the 70’s when my dad lived in DC. Pretty cool to come full circle.
Soccerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 02:07 PM   #7
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
The lume looks shiny....wonder if was ever re done. Nice watch for sure
Agreed,I suspect a relume as well.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote