The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 8 April 2019, 08:46 AM   #1
TheDon2000
"TRF" Member

Planet Ocean 8900 in the interim of Sub deficiency?

Hello folks,

Waiting on getting my first steel Sub and the prices are pushing me away. I could probably get one at retail within a few months but I'm a bit of a "deal" nut so I am having a hard time swallowing full retail or pay the extra $1k-$2k for a BNIB from one of the big "pre-owned" dealers for the pleasure of here and now. In 2015/2016, $7000-$7500 would have bought you a Sub Date and $6000-$6500 would get you a Sub no date.

I'm taking a second look at the Planet Ocean 8900, specifically 43.5mm 215.30.44.21.01.001 (black dial, no orange bezel). I can find them for right around $4k-$5k depending on BNIB/slightly used, etc. which is obviously significantly under $6550 retail.

I know the Sub will hold its value or go up, and the Omega likely will just slowly decline.

My only fear is this: The Sub is what I really want and have always wanted. If I get the PO, will I end up regretting it? Obviously, nobody can answer this but myself...Not that I don't love the PO because I do, but the Sub has always been the watch I wanted for my first step into the luxury watch world.

Here's my other hang up: The Rolex brand prestige is undeniably the best in the game, next to/secondly only to the trinity AP/PP/VC. Not that Omega doesn't have a great, prestigious history, but a flash of the wrist to a business acquaintance, a friend, etc. with the simple phrase "It's a Rolex" is all it would take. I know most would say "I don't need/want anybody to know what watch I'm wearing anyways, buy it for you".

Should I go for the PO and hope the Sub (all steel Rolex models, really) market cools down/wait for a recession when people realize they want cash? Or just spend the extra couple grand and wait few months for the Sub?
TheDon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2019, 09:16 AM   #2
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon2000 View Post
but a flash of the wrist to a business acquaintance, a friend, etc. with the simple phrase "It's a Rolex" is all it would take.
All it would take for what?
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2019, 11:01 AM   #3
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Buy the watch you really desire. If you express readiness to a few dealers, one of them will call you in a few weeks with a watch you can buy. Besides, it'll be awkward having to keep explaining to your friends how good Omega watches are.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2019, 11:46 AM   #4
TheDon2000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
All it would take for what?
Sorry I was copying from a previously written note I had from my computer. I should say that it's frequent for people that I know to ask what watch you're wearing. So maybe that clears things up.
TheDon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2019, 10:59 PM   #5
turbineboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Angelus, AP, Breit
Just go with what you really want. Because eventually you will get to it, but after having spent more money than it would have taken you if you had just gone for it in the first place.
The reasons on why you want it are irrelevant. So don't bother trying to justify it to yourself or anyone else... ... especially when buying a watch. Get what you seek and be happy.

Fork out the extra and get straight to the goal.
turbineboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 08:27 AM   #6
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
It sounds to.me like your trying to convince yourself the Omega is the watch you really want.

It also sounds to me like the watch you REALLY want is the Sub....

Don't settle for second best because the reality is you will never actually settle....

Wait for the Sub, you will be throwing your money away on the Omega.

I own Subs & have a Seamaster, but if I had to choose between them today, the Subs would still be with me tomorrow.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 12:12 PM   #7
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Get the watch you really want first. It will be cheaper and more satisfying in the long run.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 12:51 PM   #8
zion_rasta
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II ceramic
The PO is a beater watch; wait for the sub
Sold - Daytona 116523; YM 116622; Datejust 16233
zion_rasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2019, 02:03 AM   #9
drjrhc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Calibre 11 Monaco
PO is a "beater" watch???

Seriously?

Rolex makes a great product, and they do one hell of a marketing job to make people think they are the epitome of luxury, etc.

Having said that, I don't own, and won't own a Rolex with their current market strategy.

We are talking about a mass produced item. Not a one off Ferrari, or a Porsche GT2RS, so on. I have an issue with the availability of their bread and butter models. I think its ridiculous that you can't get a steel model, GMTII or Sky-Dweller, without being a "repeat" customer, paying ridiculous mark ups above MSRP.

Omega make a FANTASTIC product. On par, on EVERY LEVEL, with Rolex. Their movements, their accuracy, their fit and finish.

Any suggestion that a PO or SMP (especially the revamped 2018 model) is a beater compared to a stainless steel, run of the mill, Submariner is ludicrous at best. Delusional at worst.

Having said all that, but what you want. What you want to wear. Not something that you can vainly flip your wrist so others know you have a Rolex. If a Submariner makes your "soul sing", so to speak, then grab one.

Long story short, buy what makes you happy. Don't chase what might, or might not, impress others.

Just my $.02.

J
drjrhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2019, 02:56 AM   #10
jeffahn
"TRF" Member

Have you tried one on? The PO is very well built but having owned the 43.5mm one, 3 things you should consider, especially if the Sub is what you really want:

a - they're not as liquid as Rolex, so expect to take a substantial hit if you plan to resell
b - they're noticeably thicker than a Sub, so you have to consider that
c - the bracelet is different and more polarizing
jeffahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2019, 03:14 AM   #11
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Never settle for what's available just because you want a watch. Buy the one you want, you'll kick yourself otherwise. Especially when the sub turns up and you've tied money up in the PO.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2019, 03:18 AM   #12
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zion_rasta View Post
Outside of the printed name and price, what makes a Planet Ocean a "beater" and not the Sub?

Does everyone with an AP Diver or Nautilus consider the Sub a beater because they're cheaper?
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2019, 03:30 AM   #13
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjrhc View Post

Seriously?
I also was struck by this when I first read it, but I suppose for some it can be true. To the uber-wealthy, a Planet Ocean may be perfect for this.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2019, 04:01 AM   #14
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BBGMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Does everyone with an AP Diver or Nautilus consider the Sub a beater because they're cheaper?
The friends of mine that have these watches I can answer with a, yes they do.
Just the times we live in were function or quality is out weighed by what costs more. This is prevalent in all aspects of goods though so just buy what you like best and carry on.

They look at my Tudor BBGMT like its a Timex.
derekhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2019, 08:46 AM   #15
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion_rasta View Post
Everybody has a SUB, the true beater in this here discussion. It's like saying the Honda Accord is what everybody should want. LOL.

The Omega is a better watch and the Brand has historically kept more accurate time.

I have an Omega and a Rolex. I have the Omega Seasmaster Goodplanet GMT and the Rolex Explorer II black face, big Orange hand. I used to have a Datejust II, my first Rolex pictured to the left.

The Omega absolutely is better than my DJII.
I really love my ExplorerII but the Omega is a very very very close second.

Here is the link to my Omega. https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I bought it from DavidSW on a bracelet and immediately went to the local Omega store and had them throw on that gorgeous blue strap. It has not been off since. The bracelet may never again see the light of day. It's a nice alternative to my ExplorerII and I do have a thing for GMT complications.
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 10:12 PM   #16
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjrhc View Post

Seriously?

Rolex makes a great product, and they do one hell of a marketing job to make people think they are the epitome of luxury, etc.

Having said that, I don't own, and won't own a Rolex with their current market strategy.

We are talking about a mass produced item. Not a one off Ferrari, or a Porsche GT2RS, so on. I have an issue with the availability of their bread and butter models. I think its ridiculous that you can't get a steel model, GMTII or Sky-Dweller, without being a "repeat" customer, paying ridiculous mark ups above MSRP.

Omega make a FANTASTIC product. On par, on EVERY LEVEL, with Rolex. Their movements, their accuracy, their fit and finish.

Any suggestion that a PO or SMP (especially the revamped 2018 model) is a beater compared to a stainless steel, run of the mill, Submariner is ludicrous at best. Delusional at worst.

Having said all that, but what you want. What you want to wear. Not something that you can vainly flip your wrist so others know you have a Rolex. If a Submariner makes your "soul sing", so to speak, then grab one.

Long story short, buy what makes you happy. Don't chase what might, or might not, impress others.

Just my $.02.

J

Exactly.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 10:14 PM   #17
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise_bone View Post
Everybody has a SUB, the true beater in this here discussion. It's like saying the Honda Accord is what everybody should want. LOL.

The Omega is a better watch and the Brand has historically kept more accurate time.

I have an Omega and a Rolex. I have the Omega Seasmaster Goodplanet GMT and the Rolex Explorer II black face, big Orange hand. I used to have a Datejust II, my first Rolex pictured to the left.

The Omega absolutely is better than my DJII.
I really love my ExplorerII but the Omega is a very very very close second.

Here is the link to my Omega. https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I bought it from DavidSW on a bracelet and immediately went to the local Omega store and had them throw on that gorgeous blue strap. It has not been off since. The bracelet may never again see the light of day. It's a nice alternative to my ExplorerII and I do have a thing for GMT complications.

The Good Planet is way more eye popping that the rolexes to which you referred.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote