The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 January 2021, 07:58 PM   #1
Max-Alfred
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date, Daytona
6263 Fuerza Aera del Peru

Hi Rolex Community,

I have a question and was hoping you would be able to help, given your very deep understanding of the vintage watch market. I recently bought a Rolex 6263, with the serial number match the "Fuerza Aera del Peru". However, the engravement is missing on the back of the watch. I now came across another 6263 where it says "Fuerza Aera del Peru" on the caseback, but the serial number doesn't match the numbers that were delivered to the Peruvian Forces. So I figured I could buy the second 6263 too, exchange the casebacks and thereby increase the value of the 6263 that i currently own, while the other 6263 wouldn't lose in value. Is this assumption correct? I have seen 6263 Fuerza Aera del Peru with a significant premium. Does the serial number on the caseback need to match the serial number of the watch?

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks! Max
Max-Alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 02:41 AM   #2
Fitzer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570/16000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-Alfred View Post
Hi Rolex Community,

I have a question and was hoping you would be able to help, given your very deep understanding of the vintage watch market. I recently bought a Rolex 6263, with the serial number match the "Fuerza Aera del Peru". However, the engravement is missing on the back of the watch. I now came across another 6263 where it says "Fuerza Aera del Peru" on the caseback, but the serial number doesn't match the numbers that were delivered to the Peruvian Forces. So I figured I could buy the second 6263 too, exchange the casebacks and thereby increase the value of the 6263 that i currently own, while the other 6263 wouldn't lose in value. Is this assumption correct? I have seen 6263 Fuerza Aera del Peru with a significant premium. Does the serial number on the caseback need to match the serial number of the watch?

Thanks! Max
You won’t find much help in this forum in regards to parts swapping on a vintage Daytona I’d assume, and I imagine any buyer who finds the case back serial number and watch serial number to be different would probably have some questions about what’s going on with the watch.

To me, it sounds like you just have a good ol 6263, and slapping that special mismatched case back on it is not going to magically make it print money. It’ll scare people off, if anything.
Fitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 04:09 AM   #3
1watch
"TRF" Member

Not a fan of that idea. It sounds like moving a component of one already put together piece to another to change value. This is how put together and dishonest pieces find their way to market and get sold at inflated prices to unsuspecting collectors.
1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 05:21 AM   #4
Goochy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263, 1019, DSSD.
Quote:
Hi Rolex Community,

Thanks! Max
Just curious, why do you think it’s a “FAP” if it doesn’t have any engraving?
Goochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 08:05 AM   #5
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Does the serial number on the caseback need to match the serial number of the watch?
Yes! A mismatch is just that, a mismatch.

It would be the same on a DRSD. The serial number on the inside of the case back needs to be the same as the serial number engraved between the lugs. Without that, the watch's value plummets in the collector world.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote