The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 27 August 2023, 03:07 PM   #1
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Help me, thinking of adding a 5905R or 5172G

Hey friends, I’m considering adding a 5905R or a 5172G blue.

Was originally thinking of another 5168G but in green. But frankly, I think I’m covered with the 5164 and the 5168G. And for the dollar amount they seem to be more bang for buck too.

I would like from your experience, and opinions which would you lean to and why?

I am leaning to the 5905R because of the annual calendar, but from what I’m reading the 5172G is superior, I just don’t understand why.

Would love some opinions, and to learn from you.

Edited: corrected typo in reference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2023, 03:37 PM   #2
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchtabs View Post
Hey friends, I’m considering adding a 5905R or a 5712G blue.

There is no 5712G blue. Maybe you are thinking about 5172G blue...
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2023, 03:52 PM   #3
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
There is no 5712G blue. Maybe you are thinking about 5172G blue...

Correct, my bad. Typo!

Updated post to reflect correct reference.

Old 27 August 2023, 07:42 PM   #4
Vasco
"TRF" Member

They are indeed 2 very very different watches. I would first encourage you to handle them both, the colors, light reflexion, feeling on the wrist may look very different from the opinion we make from pictures.

The 5905R is thick, more heavy, rose gold is beautiful but makes it much less discreet. It is practical (AC, 60m-chronograph) and legible. The movement looks very nice and was designed by Patek as an integrated automatic chrono. (with column wheel which makes the buttons softer than non-column wheel versions).

On the other hand, the 5172G may be more comfortable, more discreet and houses a manual chrono. That means that the number of visible parts, decorated at a higher degree, offer a show that only open-work movements can provide (you can have a look there if you want: https://www.hightime-reviews.com/pat...-and-pictures/).

The complexity of lever settings in a manual chronograph is also superior, which has led Patek to include clever, yet simple (thus reliable) improvements.

I like them both, even if I would replace the 5905 by the 5960, but that's just personal. I'm attracted by both and it would be hard for me to choose. Both watches have their appeal and I think you should try them to see which one suits your tastes. There would be no point right now to get the 5172G because it embeds the manual chronograph movement if yo don't bind with it. You'll still be able to go for it later in your watch journey.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2023, 09:13 PM   #5
bp1000
"TRF" Member

They are two very different watches indeed.

I recently picked up a 5205r-011 and whilst I was there tried on a 5172g, blue dial. I'm a chronograph collector mainly and this would and probably is right on the money for me. It's beautiful with its triple stepped lugs, relatively thin profile, instantaneously jumping minute counter which I love on my 5270 and the contrast between the blue dial and the markers are perfect, then there's the tasti tondi pushers. It's a fantastic watch, probably more "sporty" and versatile vs the 5205r but holding me back is my hunt for a previous gen 5170 white gold black dial which is ongoing. That one is also smaller as I never understood why the 5172 had to be 41mm.

Regarding the 5205r this is my favourite annual calendar by some margin. It's classic patek and I've wanted the triple aperture layout AC to add to my collection for some time. The RG and olive combo bought it all together. I'll wear this with anything, I dont conform to typical rules. The scalloped skeletonised lugs are just lovely and the olive dial and dark olive strap is subtle generally and in certain lighting, obvious. Instantaneous calendar change and the readability is spot on. By Patek standards It seems to wear thick due to the convex bezel but ironically is 0.1mm thinner than the aforementioned chronograph.

Both beautiful, both very different. I added this and I'm still looking for a 5170 to go with my 5270. Chances are I'll pick up a 5172 in future too.

If you are into modern watches, sport watches then the 5172 will do it for you. If you like smaller (I dont think the 5205r feels 40mm) classic designs and strap watches, get the AC.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2023, 12:40 AM   #6
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Have you handled and look at the 5172 under the loupe? After my first manual wind chronograph. I cannot bring myself to buy another automatic one anymore. The 5172 also has instantaneous jump minute counter which is not in all chronograph. Also winding this piece is another experience in itself, it even has a clutch to prevent you from overwinding.

My vote will be the 5172. But 5905 and 5172 are really completely different watches, it is hard to recommend unless we know what is the rest of your collection. But if you already have other automatic chronographs in your selection, you should seriously consider the 5172.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2023, 03:29 AM   #7
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

You all make good points.

First thing is to go see them in the metal. Are these usually easy to see in ADs?

Also all my PP is have bought used (before the crazy premiums) and recently a 5168g which I bought from a friend at msrp, was too big for him. But he’s a close friend so only paid what he paid.

So, these pieces are they reasonable asks when building a relationship with an AD?

I see them at close to msrp, even under under msrp from dealers. But seems like a good oppty to start building a relationship, as I would like more PP in the future.

So the question is, will they laugh me out of the AD with any of these two?

Old 28 August 2023, 05:06 AM   #8
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

I’d prefer a 5960 to a 5905 just for its size.
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2023, 05:37 AM   #9
llngoc
"TRF" Member

I don't think these are "hard" pieces to get from an AD as it is reflected in the resale price. But before you go down the path of building a relationship with an AD, you may want to ask yourself what is your end goal? Is it for a special application piece or a simple Nautilius/Aquanaut. If you plan on a long term (10-20-30 years) relationship, you may want to pick a really solid AD since in the past few years, we are seeing ADs being cut. Even very long time ADs like Shreve and most of the Tiffany outlets. In my personal case, I have been with the same AD for a few years and I have a bad feeling that he may no longer be carrying Patek soon. And I still have a couple of significant pieces ordered from the past 3 years which are still not delivered yet.

If you ever visit a big city with grey dealers, they may be your best chance of seeing these pieces in the metal. You can always check out their website and make an appointment if the piece is avaliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchtabs View Post
You all make good points.

First thing is to go see them in the metal. Are these usually easy to see in ADs?

Also all my PP is have bought used (before the crazy premiums) and recently a 5168g which I bought from a friend at msrp, was too big for him. But he’s a close friend so only paid what he paid.

So, these pieces are they reasonable asks when building a relationship with an AD?

I see them at close to msrp, even under under msrp from dealers. But seems like a good oppty to start building a relationship, as I would like more PP in the future.

So the question is, will they laugh me out of the AD with any of these two?

llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2023, 06:09 AM   #10
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

Help me, thinking of adding a 5905R or 5172G

Between these two, I prefer 5172 by a large margin. The 5905 is quite big and thick and the beauty and finish of the CH 29‑535 PS is next level.

With respect to buying from AD or the secondary market — it’s really up to you. These are available at pretty big discounts pre-owned so you’d have to decide whether you’d get any extra value out of your AD. FWIW, one of mine came from AD, where I have a very good relationship and one came from a trusted dealer.
vandyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2023, 06:13 AM   #11
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
I don't think these are "hard" pieces to get from an AD as it is reflected in the resale price. But before you go down the path of building a relationship with an AD, you may want to ask yourself what is your end goal? Is it for a special application piece or a simple Nautilius/Aquanaut. If you plan on a long term (10-20-30 years) relationship, you may want to pick a really solid AD since in the past few years, we are seeing ADs being cut. Even very long time ADs like Shreve and most of the Tiffany outlets. In my personal case, I have been with the same AD for a few years and I have a bad feeling that he may no longer be carrying Patek soon. And I still have a couple of significant pieces ordered from the past 3 years which are still not delivered yet.

If you ever visit a big city with grey dealers, they may be your best chance of seeing these pieces in the metal. You can always check out their website and make an appointment if the piece is avaliable.

You make good points. I own a 5164a and 5168g, so not really doing it for “the other piece”. But sure, I would like to be able to buy other watches in the future. Probably a 5990, a 5968A or g, or even a 5168G in green. Those are the “unobtainable” watches I want in the future.

But I’m opting to build a relationship more so because if I’m going to pay these kinds of money I want them to have my name on the papers.

In terms of ADs, I’m thinking I only have a single option here in Miami. Unfortunately when I tried to build a relationship directly in the store in Geneva for example, was told to “build a relationship with my local AD”.

Old 28 August 2023, 06:29 AM   #12
byow
"TRF" Member

OP,

Which one to choose between these two watches depends on so many different aspects, that it is difficult to give you advice than: go and have a look at them.

If you like to look at calibers, then, 5172 is the answer. If you want as many complications as possible in one watch, 5905 may be your choice.

5172 as a manual chronograph is in a certain way a more «significant» watch in Patek’s history than the 5905 and its annual calendar.

5172 is also more elegant in my opinion.
byow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2023, 07:01 AM   #13
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyologist View Post
Between these two, I prefer 5172 by a large margin. The 5905 is quite big and thick and the beauty and finish of the CH 29‑535 PS is next level.

With respect to buying from AD or the secondary market — it’s really up to you. These are available at pretty big discounts pre-owned so you’d have to decide whether you’d get any extra value out of your AD. FWIW, one of mine came from AD, where I have a very good relationship and one came from a trusted dealer.
Very nice set of watches.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2023, 07:24 AM   #14
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post

I recently picked up a 5205r-011 and whilst I was there tried on a 5172g, blue dial. I'm a chronograph collector mainly and this would and probably is right on the money for me. It's beautiful with its triple stepped lugs, relatively thin profile, instantaneously jumping minute counter which I love on my 5270 and the contrast between the blue dial and the markers are perfect, then there's the tasti tondi pushers. It's a fantastic watch, probably more "sporty" and versatile vs the 5205r but holding me back is my hunt for a previous gen 5170 white gold black dial which is ongoing. That one is also smaller as I never understood why the 5172 had to be 41mm.

Regarding the 5205r this is my favourite annual calendar by some margin. It's classic patek and I've wanted the triple aperture layout AC to add to my collection for some time. The RG and olive combo bought it all together. I'll wear this with anything, I dont conform to typical rules. The scalloped skeletonised lugs are just lovely and the olive dial and dark olive strap is subtle generally and in certain lighting, obvious. Instantaneous calendar change and the readability is spot on. By Patek standards It seems to wear thick due to the convex bezel but ironically is 0.1mm thinner than the aforementioned chronograph.

Both beautiful, both very different. I added this and I'm still looking for a 5170 to go with my 5270. Chances are I'll pick up a 5172 in future too.

If you are into modern watches, sport watches then the 5172 will do it for you. If you like smaller (I dont think the 5205r feels 40mm) classic designs and strap watches, get the AC.
Ooops
Op I misread the reference and can’t edit my post now.

I see you were asking about the 5905.

Definitely the 5172 in that case.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2023, 03:43 PM   #15
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

I prefer the 5172, felt the 5905 was quite thick and big
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2023, 04:58 PM   #16
djona
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyologist View Post

Great duo.
djona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2023, 03:32 AM   #17
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post

I must say. Your wrist shot made this tougher .