The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 July 2023, 10:08 PM   #91
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexgs View Post
scan the card for what? there is nothing you can do if the grey dealer do not honor their promises.
I think the OP will have a much easier time getting his desired outcome if, for example, he can probe the watch was altered (i.e. dial swap).
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 10:15 PM   #92
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
I’m sorry to read all this. It looks very bad for Trotters Jewellers, refusing to accept a return for refund, but was it sold under consignment? If so, I imagine it would be hard for them to resolve this with a refund.

I know it’s a newish Datejust, so it’s upsetting that this happened, but it can be fixed. I hope you get an outcome you can be happy with.
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 10:19 PM   #93
Milieu
"TRF" Member

I mean it's a '22 datejust, there is no way in the world the hands would look like.

It's pretty clear to me at least that the watch has been opened, unsure why they would need to remove hands unless as stated they have done a dial swap.

As a few people have pointed out worth mentioning the forum and discussions occurred but I think you had your doubts prior to coming to the forum which is the feeling you should trust the most.
Milieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 10:43 PM   #94
rolexgs
Banned

its plain simple. if Trotters Jewellers failed to spot the scratched hands on their watch for sale which is obvious sign that the case had been opened, they are incompetent watch dealer. if they noticed it but still go on to sell it, they are untrustworthy watch dealer.
rolexgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 12:05 AM   #95
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

If you bought a 6 month old watch, you don’t know the history. You bought as is. Forward the photos to the dealer and see what they say.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 12:18 AM   #96
Auric Goldfinger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlOver View Post
If you bought a 6 month old watch, you don’t know the history. You bought as is. Forward the photos to the dealer and see what they say.
Uh, have you not read the thread?
Auric Goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 02:16 AM   #97
shammad10
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear that. Bunch of crooks the Trotters lads- just in it for a quick buck and don't care about watches or their customers.
shammad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 02:29 AM   #98
emtee
"TRF" Member

Hopefully you paid on CC, file a dispute and let them deal with it.
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 03:31 AM   #99
LewisDouglas
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 41
I really appreciate all of the advice and support on this thread.
Thanks so much everyone, feel very welcomed into your community.

If I'm being 100% transparent, it's really not about the money anymore.
I'm 27 and have been working my ass off for the past 3 years upscaling my own businesses and I finally found myself breaking through some new financial ceilings and so naturally I figured it was about time I get my first Rolex. Something I have dreamed of for a long time.

I entered an AD, and began the process but my impatience took over and I began searching for dealers here in the UK - And found Trotters.

I found my dream watch for where I am currently in my life, my entry point - A black dial DJ for near enough £12k.

I can't tell you the sense of accomplishment I felt when leaving the store with this thing on my wrist, I can't express in writing how it felt to have all my blood, sweat and tears from the last 5 years manifested into this one single item that will literally mark time with me, that I would keep forever, and not only that, it will serve me as a motivator, and a fuel to break even more ceilings in the future, to keep pushing.
- In other words, While a saw great beauty in my new watch I could feel an immediate bond.

However, to later discover these problems with the watch, it feels more than just disheartening. Now I find myself in a place where the refund isn't the most important part, I feel like saying F**k the money. It's the experience, the sentiment that is now all tarnished. When I look down at my watch now, I still feel great accomplishment, I feel proud, I see great beauty, and I love this watch... But all is peppered with a disappointment, a niggle that something isn't right.

Trotters want to "Change the hands" and "Fix it" for me.

Do I perhaps just go with this? Keep the watch, but write a new thread warning people of their BS. Will all of this just be a story I carry with me and my new companion? A blimp in a lifetime of adventures we share together? Or am I being overly poetic?

I don't care about Trotters, I don't care about the money, per se.

I just want my watch, and i want to love it.
LewisDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 03:39 AM   #100
dannyp
Banned

Let me let you in on a little secret (that you may already know): it’s not about the hands, either. In other words, you’re never going to love that watch. I’d say you’ll likely only be truly satisfied with one from an AD, that one should be relatively gettable with a little patience, and the question then becomes how you dispose of this one. You could sell at a loss tomorrow, or go to the trouble of compelling your secondary seller to refund you.

I would still say that if a dial swap occurred, you could even argue the authenticity, since it’s not wholly original by Rolex standards. You could probably also get Rolex to send a nasty case and desist letter (they have fun doing that, lol) based on the language on the Trotters website. Look at the Rolex section and there’s a line about working with customers to create their ideal “custom” Rolex. Well, guess what? Only Rolex can create a Rolex, custom or otherwise.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 04:05 AM   #101
T3rmina1
"TRF" Member

What's their google maps link? Time to give them some reviews, I think
T3rmina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 04:08 AM   #102
Auric Goldfinger
Banned

Buying a watch to commemorate a milestone and having all this trouble with said watch doesn’t sit well with me. It takes away from the entire thing imo.

I would still push for a refund because at this point you won’t be happy with that particular watch, and you shouldn’t be the one taking a loss on resale. The fact that it didn’t come with the accompanying white hang tag denoting full hyphenated reference number makes me genuinely think they swapped dials prior to your ownership.

I’d personally focus on getting rid of it and then hopping on a wait list at an AD.
Auric Goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 04:09 AM   #103
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisDouglas View Post

I'm 27 and have been working my ass off for the past 3 years upscaling my own businesses and I finally found myself breaking through some new financial ceilings and so naturally I figured it was about time I get my first Rolex. Something I have dreamed of for a long time.

I entered an AD, and began the process but my impatience took over and I began searching for dealers here in the UK - And found Trotters.

I found my dream watch for where I am currently in my life, my entry point - A black dial DJ for near enough £12k.

I can't tell you the sense of accomplishment I felt when leaving the store with this thing on my wrist, I can't express in writing how it felt to have all my blood, sweat and tears from the last 5 years manifested into this one single item that will literally mark time with me, that I would keep forever, and not only that, it will serve me as a motivator, and a fuel to break even more ceilings in the future, to keep pushing.
- In other words, While a saw great beauty in my new watch I could feel an immediate bond.

However, to later discover these problems with the watch, it feels more than just disheartening. Now I find myself in a place where the refund isn't the most important part, I feel like saying F**k the money. It's the experience, the sentiment that is now all tarnished. When I look down at my watch now, I still feel great accomplishment, I feel proud, I see great beauty, and I love this watch... But all is peppered with a disappointment, a niggle that something isn't right.

Do I perhaps just go with this? Keep the watch, but write a new thread warning people of their BS. Will all of this just be a story I carry with me and my new companion? A blimp in a lifetime of adventures we share together? Or am I being overly poetic?

wait am i reading this correctly? 12k pounds for a black DJ? what's the msrp over there? that seems like too much for a black dial

personally i would just tell them you want to send it to RSC and if rolex doesn't service it you want a refund. see if they go for that and if rolex services it then you know you'll have a clean watch. you can also have them fix it and trade it in for another one with someone else but you'll probably get killed on the trade in value
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 04:14 AM   #104
Black Bay Dan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Quote:

Totally understand. I would get Trotters to change the hands and then sell the watch or trade it for another. There is another outfit in Jesmond that have a good reputation and come across as honest dealers. If I was in the market for a Rolex that is where I would go even if I live as far away as it is possible from Newcastle (in England that is). Good luck.

Dan
Black Bay Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 04:17 AM   #105
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Actually, something just occurred to me: Couldn't any AD get a considerable amount of information by scanning the chip in the warranty card? Not sure how helpful they'd be willing to be, but that might be worth a try.

You would think so. I have never seen the kind of info they get from the card. I only see them making copies on paper which i never understood.

But i do agree that if they can do that at an AD, it would be advisable for OP to go that route and try to (in)validate the authenticity and originality of the watch. Trotters won’t refund without proof that the watch is tampered with. And i do believe there is still no evidence that there is actually tampered with the watch. It could also still be an unworn watch with some poor quality control on Rolex behalf. We dismiss that possibility way to soon in my opinion.

@OP, i would still go the RSC route and see what they say about the watch. Just apply it for warranty and let them look at the hands. Maybe they just fix it under warranty and then you have proof that it is original and you can start loving the watch you loved just a few days ago. Replacing the hands, if all else is original, isn’t the end of the world.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 04:18 AM   #106
Tortoise99
"TRF" Member

Following this post…

I live in the UK and always thought Trotters were decent people. They are only harming themselves if they don’t refund you.

Keep us informed how this progresses.
Tortoise99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 04:47 AM   #107
Kreyzhorse
"TRF" Member

Watch: "05" Air-King
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex1982 View Post
You would think so. I have never seen the kind of info they get from the card. I only see them making copies on paper which i never understood.

But i do agree that if they can do that at an AD, it would be advisable for OP to go that route and try to (in)validate the authenticity and originality of the watch. Trotters won’t refund without proof that the watch is tampered with. And i do believe there is still no evidence that there is actually tampered with the watch. It could also still be an unworn watch with some poor quality control on Rolex behalf. We dismiss that possibility way to soon in my opinion.

@OP, i would still go the RSC route and see what they say about the watch. Just apply it for warranty and let them look at the hands. Maybe they just fix it under warranty and then you have proof that it is original and you can start loving the watch you loved just a few days ago. Replacing the hands, if all else is original, isn’t the end of the world.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
I agree... it sucks, but if they can change out the hands, problem solved.
Kreyzhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 04:53 AM   #108
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreyzhorse View Post
I agree... it sucks, but if they can change out the hands, problem solved.
But only at RSC under warranty. That way OP has his proof that the watch is as original and authentic and that the warranty is still valid. And if not you have the proof that Trotters did not deliver what was promised and have a better case to get the money back.
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 05:21 AM   #109
doublevanose82
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ 36mm
I thought this thread was about the AD handling the watch with dirty hands and not using the Rolex gloves.

doublevanose82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 05:29 AM   #110
shammad10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bay Dan View Post
Totally understand. I would get Trotters to change the hands and then sell the watch or trade it for another. There is another outfit in Jesmond that have a good reputation and come across as honest dealers. If I was in the market for a Rolex that is where I would go even if I live as far away as it is possible from Newcastle (in England that is). Good luck.

Dan
I personally wouldn't do that Dan, the boys from Jesmond have had some big problems this year.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ing-probe.html
Old 12 July 2023, 05:47 AM   #111
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Hi! Maybe this helps? Attachment 1377767
From this picture, it looks to me like scratches, tarnishes to the hands, not reflections from light.
Old 12 July 2023, 06:42 AM   #112
LewisDouglas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
From this picture, it looks to me like scratches, tarnishes to the hands, not reflections from light.
Yes sir! I told everyone a few days ago i inspected with a loupe, and while im not expert you could very clearly see scratches running parallel on each hand to that concurrent with some kind of tweezer-like tool.
Old 12 July 2023, 06:45 AM   #113
LewisDouglas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammad10 View Post
I personally wouldn't do that Dan, the boys from Jesmond have had some big problems this year.

Lol.

Seems like all the dealers in the UK have seen Uncut Gems too many times and wanna re-create their own weird cockney / peaky blinders version of selling luxury jewellery. I'd say there is far too much ego and wannabe-rockstar attitude surrounding the whole "culture" of dealing.

I'll never go grey again, thats for sure.
Old 12 July 2023, 07:19 AM   #114
shammad10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lol.

Seems like all the dealers in the UK have seen Uncut Gems too many times and wanna re-create their own weird cockney / peaky blinders version of selling luxury jewellery. I'd say there is far too much ego and wannabe-rockstar attitude surrounding the whole "culture" of dealing.

I'll never go grey again, thats for sure.
Yeah, agree completely.

Just put it down to a lesson learnt. Take your watch into Rolex service centre in St James, London. Get it sorted, then just wear the hell out of it and enjoy it.
It'll soon be a distant memory.
Old 12 July 2023, 07:49 AM   #115
jinikari01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:

We'll put OP. It ain't about the money anymore.
Hope you find your peace at the end and enjoy your accomplishments and your watch or watches. Best of luck.
jinikari01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 12:45 PM   #116
cht
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Sorry to hear this experience.
But, facts are, you did by a used watch.
The scratched hands may have been from someone opened the watch and had to manipulate the hands for whatever reason, or it very well could have came like that from Rolex. Who knows for sure?

I’d relax…either way, the hands have some scratches, but the watch works and functions just fine and you still have warranty.

Hands are easily replaced, often removed for service, and not some unheard of process unique to mechanical watch ownership that devalues the watch in any way.

If I bought a 6 month old used Ferrari and I saw some panels had scratches in the engine bay, whether it came like that from Ferrari or a mechanic had been in the engine bay, who knew…but the car worked just fine, I would be ok with the dealer agreeing to fix it for me and it wouldn’t tar my ownership.

Relax a bit…it’s an amazing watch…and will be an amazing watch with new hands…remember unfortunate things happen and that’s life…but how you choose to deal with them defines you.
I practice every day to let go of the small things.
cht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 01:06 PM   #117
harvey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah, agree completely.

Just put it down to a lesson learnt. Take your watch into Rolex service centre in St James, London. Get it sorted, then just wear the hell out of it and enjoy it.
It'll soon be a distant memory.

Good advice…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 July 2023, 12:28 AM   #118
CaptT
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Bummer of a first experience, OP. Genuinely curious how this shakes out for you, good luck.

Quote:

CaptT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2023, 12:45 AM   #119
Black Bay Dan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Quote:

Blimey had not seen that. Just as well I am not planning to buy another Rolex anytime soon. I second the plan to take it to RSC in St. James Square and get it serviced. Good luck.

Dan
Black Bay Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2023, 12:50 AM   #120
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cht View Post
Sorry to hear this experience.
But, facts are, you did by a used watch.
The scratched hands may have been from someone opened the watch and had to manipulate the hands for whatever reason, or it very well could have came like that from Rolex. Who knows for sure?

I’d relax…either way, the hands have some scratches, but the watch works and functions just fine and you still have warranty.

Hands are easily replaced, often removed for service, and not some unheard of process unique to mechanical watch ownership that devalues the watch in any way.

If I bought a 6 month old used Ferrari and I saw some panels had scratches in the engine bay, whether it came like that from Ferrari or a mechanic had been in the engine bay, who knew…but the car worked just fine, I would be ok with the dealer agreeing to fix it for me and it wouldn’t tar my ownership.

Relax a bit…it’s an amazing watch…and will be an amazing watch with new hands…remember unfortunate things happen and that’s life…but how you choose to deal with them defines you.
I practice every day to let go of the small things.
I would normally agree with this logic but not in this case. Trotter's told him he was purchasing an "unworn" watch. In other words, brand new even though the warranty card was filled out ~ 6 months prior. And two, they opened it up but did not disclose this at first. It shouldn't have these scratches unless they did something to it or it came that way from the factory. I agree that taking it to an RSC might be the best move to ensure he got what he paid for.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote