The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 May 2008, 08:33 AM   #1
kriztover
"TRF" Member

Scotland AD's discounting SD's?

Guys

Sorry for the title - and for this long-winded plea from a very new member.....
I've spent weeks on the web trying to decipher the best route to purchasing either a sub (non-date) or an SD and need a little help if posssible.
Let's just assume it's an SD for half clarity ......

I think i would prefer to have the assurance of purchasing from a local AD but with new prices of the SD at 3280 i'm beginning to wonder:

1. Have any Scottish forum members secured anything as a discount on the sports watches in the Glasgow area or otherwise? Only 2 dealers (out of 4 tried) in my area have an SD in stock and all are quite categorical about not discounting these due to them being hard to get and flying off the shelves blah blah blah....

2. Is the present SD "definately" getting discontinued (in favour of the DSSD) e.g. am i running out of time to get one new?
It kinda niggles me that the watch in the shop has been in and out the window and has potentially been on and off many a joker's wrist, but are those models in the window possibly the last examples...?

3. The price has obviously just increased but buying nearly new from chronomaster/ blowers/ watches.com etc seems to be a substantial saving. Chronomaster have a 2008 SD for 2,500 i believe..
is this a route recommended by many for a novice like me?

4. Will shop owners adjust the bracelet so that a proper fit can be assesed prior to purchase? i'm happy with the face dimensions etc but i read that the SD is a difficult bracelet to tweak with the clasp off centre being a potential upset for smallish wrists. Or do i need to jump with both feet!

Any thoughts or help on the above would be greatly appreciated. Especially item 1 (Scots love discounts!).
This is consuming my life at the moment so i need to get this purchase done and start living my life normally again.....

Cheers

Chris
kriztover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2008, 06:19 PM   #2
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Welcome to TRF, Chris!

1) The UK is big! Why not try other AD's? I'd get on the phone and see what they can do for you. It might be worth a trip.

2) Yup! The SD is discontinued. The last ones are leaving the manufactory as we speak (well, write!). There should still be many of them out there, but I would still get one now.

3) I don't see anything wrong with buying from a "Grey Dealer" as long as it's a legit seller. Blowers have a good reputation, as far as I know.

4) An AD would be happy to adjust the bracelet for you. If you buy it from a Grey Dealer, you can still take it to an AD and have it adjusted. Some AD's might charge you for it, though, since you did not by the watch from them.

Best of luck finding an SD!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2008, 06:34 PM   #3
Baptistman
"TRF" Member

Hi,
If its a one of purchase and a keeper, plus if you have the cash with no financial implications, then buy from an AD even if at full retail. the benefits are

A full warranty in your name
Peace of mind about authenticity

Its worth ringing some AD's and seeing if they have pre-owned as they will of been serviced by Rolex and come with warranty from the AD and Rolex, thereby saving a load.

Grey dealers are fine but a lot of them use there own watchmakers and will of opened the caseback for authenticating the watch.

I personally like all work to be completed by the RSC. saying that, if the watch is new with plastics intact, then you should be fine.
I do recommend Dane at dream-watches.co.uk, they are based in Hampshire, very reliable.

Hope this helps
Old 9 May 2008, 06:46 PM   #4
cmcm3
"TRF" Member

Kriz, I don't think you've got too much hope of getting a discount, but what I would say is that some of the AD's (like Watches of Switzerland) do interest free credit over 24 months, so if you have the money waiting to buy, stick it in a high interest account, with a monthly direct debit from the account, which will work out at c.£110 (they take 20% payment up-front - c.£650), and your interest accrued over the period can act as your discount, also providing you with a bit of extra liquidity in the meantime. Thats what I did with my SubLV, and since they wouldnt offer a discount for immediate payment, it seemed a no-brainer.
cmcm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2008, 08:07 PM   #5
Big A
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Submariner
I got my Sub from the jewellers (can't remember their name just now) at the bottom of Newmarket Street in Ayr (not a million miles from you). Paid by cash and never received any discount, so can believe that getting anything off the price will be difficult.
Old 9 May 2008, 09:24 PM   #6
koevoet
"TRF" Member

I bought a Sea Dweller from Walkers in Dundee about 2 weeks ago,they offered to match the 10% discount offered by Cairncross in Perth.The reason I ended up in Walkers was purely down to the fact that they had both the SD and the Sub Date for a comparison (I was unsure which I was going to buy).The service was first class and the bracelet was adjusted for a trial fit on both watches (short of removing links).I also bought an eternity ring for my wife and they kindly took the 10% of the whole shebang.
Hamilton and Inches did not have either watch,Laings customer service is appalling nor would they discount.Watches of Switzerland did have a SD in the window last week,but discounting ,I don't know,sorry.Hope thats of some help.
koevoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2008, 03:50 AM   #7
kriztover
"TRF" Member

All Very Helpful

Thanks guys - that gives me something to think about. This forum is an excellent resource.

The interest free credit option does make up a little for having to splash a wad of cash in one hit. I know the 3 argyle arcade jewelers do it so it's probably my top option at the moment (if they take stock of an SD).
I was in 'Wallace Allan' in Ayr (newmarket street right enough) last weekend and they have every sports model including 2 submariners and an LV but no discounts or credit!!
Will give some other AD's a call and interogate!

I'm also going to Toronto in a couple of weeks but don't think it's any cheaper and the tax can't be reclaimed anymore on flying home...jeezz
i need to research the difference in warranty etc by buying from a grey dealer first i think...then make my move

Thanks all!!
kriztover is offline   Reply With Quote