The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 5 December 2017, 03:24 AM   #631
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Herewith a description of fixes in update iOS 11.2

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk.../#3928b07a1d02

.... seems like it could just be the continuing saga of fixes that aren't fixed?
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 12:47 PM   #632
USALV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL View Post
So here we go again... another Apple software update iOS11.1 for 70 new emoji, bug fixes & improvements... (3rd update since iP8 launched).
Hi BBL,

Sorry about giving you a hard times the other day about all of the updates coming out the Apple iPhones. Since Apple rushed to get the iPhone x released this year instead of 2018 and they clearly rushed iOS 11, too. Apple has been really sloppy lately, which is why we keep having these updates. It's so bad that even an article was written about it. It's a little annoying to see the prompts to updates ever so often now. I usually wait a little while now before installing these updates. Since Steve Jobs isn't around anymore to keep an eye on quality control in terms of software and tablets and computers.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...ology-42166438
USALV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 08:44 PM   #633
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
My one year old one week out of warranty iPhone 7 fried yesterday I didn't get any messages, calls or emails. Worst of all I think I lost everything. Pics, apps, contacts, saved messages etc.

I have the option to replace it with another one at a cost of $150 or upgrading. From what I'm reading, I don't think there's much difference to justify the 8. Right now if I could I'd but a Samsung. I'm just so used to Apple and the way it works.

I'm running on a 5s for the next few days.
Old 12 December 2017, 10:33 PM   #634
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
My one year old one week out of warranty iPhone 7 fried yesterday I didn't get any messages, calls or emails. Worst of all I think I lost everything. Pics, apps, contacts, saved messages etc.

I have the option to replace it with another one at a cost of $150 or upgrading. From what I'm reading, I don't think there's much difference to justify the 8. Right now if I could I'd but a Samsung. I'm just so used to Apple and the way it works.

I skipped the 7 and went straight from a 6s to the 8. I stayed away from the X because it only allows 1 security face recognition profile.

If I owned a 7, I would skip the 8.

At the end of the day, the 8 only has 2 notable advantages over the 7: much improved camera and wireless charging. Wireless charging comes at a cost though, the 8 weighs more than the 7.

I would recommend replacing your broken phone with another 7 and upgrade when the 8s or 9 comes out with hopefully more than 2GB RAM. A 7 for $150 is better value than an 8 for $500 - $800. Now if you can get the 8 for $300ish, than go for it.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 11:52 PM   #635
BBL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USALV View Post
Hi BBL,

Sorry about giving you a hard times the other day about all of the updates coming out the Apple iPhones. Since Apple rushed to get the iPhone x released this year instead of 2018 and they clearly rushed iOS 11, too. Apple has been really sloppy lately, which is why we keep having these updates. It's so bad that even an article was written about it. It's a little annoying to see the prompts to updates ever so often now. I usually wait a little while now before installing these updates. Since Steve Jobs isn't around anymore to keep an eye on quality control in terms of software and tablets and computers.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...ology-42166438
Hi USALV ... I didn't interpret anything you said that was giving me a hard time.... instead, you have been very helpful! Thank you. DM

Quote:

Hi mailman: I was in almost the same situation as you. The 8 is straightening out a little with some software updates (still has burps requiring reboot), but I miss the 5s size and the 8 reception is not as good as the 5s - a bummer.
8 has better camera... eg: the photo of the Yacht-MasterII page I posted Sunday (mag giveaway from Rolex addict) - the 5s could not have had that improved quality. (See post #50, especially the Young Riders page horse photo: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...=571753&page=2)
I agree, I like Apple, and can't make myself change to Android. I need to save my learning curve time to other pressing matters.
Good Luck,
DM
Old 13 December 2017, 01:36 AM   #636
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:

We just went from 6s to 8+. I was not even considering the plus because last plus I saw was massive. The 8+ is larger, but still slides in the pocket well yet has a much more readable screen. We went with the 256 GB model, so now I have all 5000 songs on my phone, which will be great for road trips.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2017, 01:47 AM   #637
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
I skipped the 7 and went straight from a 6s to the 8. I stayed away from the X because it only allows 1 security face recognition profile.

If I owned a 7, I would skip the 8.

At the end of the day, the 8 only has 2 notable advantages over the 7: much improved camera and wireless charging. Wireless charging comes at a cost though, the 8 weighs more than the 7.

I would recommend replacing your broken phone with another 7 and upgrade when the 8s or 9 comes out with hopefully more than 2GB RAM. A 7 for $150 is better value than an 8 for $500 - $800. Now if you can get the 8 for $300ish, than go for it.
Not quite. The iPhone 8 has a much faster chip too. The weight of my 8 Plus is not noticeable over that of my 6S Plus.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2017, 10:35 PM   #638
BBL
"TRF" Member

Well, found this 12/18/17 Forbes article today:
Apple's iOS updates are not fixing issues

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk.../#1ab365341f4b

One of my problems is (not resolved by any updates, and my 8 is on software iOS 11.2.1):

. listen to voicemail
. toggle back to recent call page
. screen white blank
. touch screen
. screen becomes black blank
. no amount of waiting produces return of function for recent or phone number pad
. have to reboot phone to get functions back
Old 25 December 2017, 11:02 AM   #639
USALV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi USALV ... I didn't interpret anything you said that was giving me a hard time.... instead, you have been very helpful! Thank you. DM

Hi mailman: I was in almost the same situation as you. The 8 is straightening out a little with some software updates (still has burps requiring reboot), but I miss the 5s size and the 8 reception is not as good as the 5s - a bummer.
8 has better camera... eg: the photo of the Yacht-MasterII page I posted Sunday (mag giveaway from Rolex addict) - the 5s could not have had that improved quality. (See post #50, especially the Young Riders page horse photo: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...=571753&page=2)
I agree, I like Apple, and can't make myself change to Android. I need to save my learning curve time to other pressing matters.
Good Luck,
DM
You're welcome.
Happy Holidays
Old 25 December 2017, 11:09 AM   #640
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Went to an X myself. My daughter got an 8 and my wife is getting an 8S for Christmas. The iOS has been a little glitchy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2017, 12:36 PM   #641
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
Went to an X myself. My daughter got an 8 and my wife is getting an 8S for Christmas. The iOS has been a little glitchy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8S would be a miracle from Santa since it hasn’t been released yet.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2017, 04:03 AM   #642
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
my wife got an 8 for Xmas , after the first wows we noticed the famous yellow tint issue tried to adjust the hue in the settings but it didn t got better someone wrote on an other forum to run a white wash(Night settins and true tone ON and full white background from Youtube) for 30minutes or so and it should be better to my greatest surprise it s really works , now the phone has a bright white instead of that ugly yellowish as it was after arrival .and the camera is superb really great.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2017, 04:13 AM   #643
BBL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
my wife got an 8 for Xmas , after the first wows we noticed the famous yellow tint issue tried to adjust the hue in the settings but it didn t got better someone wrote on an other forum to run a white wash(Night settins and true tone ON and full white background from Youtube) for 30minutes or so and it should be better to my greatest surprise it s really works , now the phone has a bright white instead of that ugly yellowish as it was after arrival .and the camera is superb really great.
Glad for your wife/you!

Mine still has the issue when you listen to a Voicemail, then go directly to the Recent page - screen goes white and does not show recent or any of the 'phone' functions other than Voicemail. Even accessing the Email folder, then going back to Recent does not reveal the phone functions. Have to power off/on to get phone functions back.

DM
Old 26 December 2017, 05:34 PM   #644
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Did you not set yours to automatically back up to iCloud, Paulie? All your apps will be recoverable regardless but the test of your stuff should be in the cloud

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Old 26 December 2017, 07:32 PM   #645
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
Did you not set yours to automatically back up to iCloud, Paulie? All your apps will be recoverable regardless but the test of your stuff should be in the cloud

Exactly icloud is one of the best part of the story

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 01:27 PM   #646
Gharddog03
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
I caved in today at Costco!! I picked up the 8 with 100$ cash back and a free charging kit. I went from a 6 plus to the 8. Definitely faster. I think the smaller size works for me.
Gharddog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 01:39 PM   #647
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
There has been poor battery life reported on the X? I have much better performance on my X than I got out of my 7, using all the same apps.

Did they report any particular apps that are battery killers?
Sorry mate, I missed this.

When I was in Cupertino, I was chatting to a senior Apple chap. I mentioned the one thing in iOS 11 that was really pissing me off: turning off wifi from the notification centre (as opposed to doing so in settings) and it turned itself back on at 0500 hours. Why in God's boots would anyone think being woken by a stampede of emails at 0500 is a good thing? . He was genuinely unaware of this. Fair play, he promised to look into it and get it sorted and it's since been fixed.

Anyhoo, when I mentioned my dilemma to him between the 8+ and X (business use, battery life very important, yada yada ya) he suggested that the 8+ battery would last longer than the X.

I guess without comparing the two side-by-side I'll never know, but I'm glad I bought the 8+. I'll wait for two years before losing my home button

Old 30 December 2017, 03:30 AM   #648
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Maybe someone who knows more about this can give their opinion.

It is my understanding that police and especially border/entry into US agents can now hold your phone to your face to get access, if you have facial recognition software. (It's been reported that even US citizens entering into the US may have to give up facebook and twitter accounts and passwords because entry points have a lot more leeway than ordinary cops.)

Even the fact that they can't legally make your use your password to open your phones without a warrant, as a phone with all the personal info is considered off limits there are many exclusions that allow them to in fact look at anything in your phone. So are people with facial recognition software set up on their phone, making it too easy and giving up that right to privacy.

With the amount of personal data on our phones it's seem too easy for people we don't want in them to get access.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article...a-court-rules/

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2017/0...ch-your-phone/
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2017, 08:36 AM   #649
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Sorry mate, I missed this.

When I was in Cupertino, I was chatting to a senior Apple chap. I mentioned the one thing in iOS 11 that was really pissing me off: turning off wifi from the notification centre (as opposed to doing so in settings) and it turned itself back on at 0500 hours. Why in God's boots would anyone think being woken by a stampede of emails at 0500 is a good thing? . He was genuinely unaware of this. Fair play, he promised to look into it and get it sorted and it's since been fixed.

Anyhoo, when I mentioned my dilemma to him between the 8+ and X (business use, battery life very important, yada yada ya) he suggested that the 8+ battery would last longer than the X.

I guess without comparing the two side-by-side I'll never know, but I'm glad I bought the 8+. I'll wait for two years before losing my home button
I have the same WiFi issue with iOS. I have to turn it off in settings if I want it to stay off.

Battery life on the X has been much better than my 7. I don’t know how it would compare to your 8+. I like the camera quite a bit better than the 7. And the Face ID works way better than the home button ever did for me. I guess we’ll know in two years whether the X is better then the 8.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2017, 08:48 AM   #650
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
After a couple of months...Very happy with the X. Battery life is great, speed and performance is excellent. Outstanding camera.
Have not had any issues with WiFi. Only minor issue is the face recognition does not always see me but I had that issue with the fingerprint reader too. Best iPhone to date IMO.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2017, 11:36 AM   #651
USALV
"TRF" Member

Oh crap. Now I want an iPhone 8 plus in gold. I miss the regular gold that they had for iphone 7. I will continue to hold out for sept 2018. No more going by the Apple Store for me.
Old 30 December 2017, 07:23 PM   #652
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I have the same WiFi issue with iOS. I have to turn it off in settings if I want it to stay off.

Battery life on the X has been much better than my 7. I don’t know how it would compare to your 8+. I like the camera quite a bit better than the 7. And the Face ID works way better than the home button ever did for me. I guess we’ll know in two years whether the X is better then the 8.
If you turn wifi off in the Notification centre now, it stays off until you wake your phone up. My emails, iMessages and WhatsApp all come in at 0530 on schooldays when my alarm goes off and on weekends / holidays as soon as I unlock it.

I can't imagine the battery of the X lasting longer than an 8+ but don't see why it can't out-perform an 8.

When I'm out on a job, I can get a full day out of my 8+ as I could my 6S+. When I'm in the office, I can go beyond 48 hours between charges. With my 5S, it was charged eery day and sometimes twice a day when out on a job

Old 31 December 2017, 01:44 AM   #653
JUSTIFIED
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
We just went from 6s to 8+. I was not even considering the plus because last plus I saw was massive. The 8+ is larger, but still slides in the pocket well yet has a much more readable screen. We went with the 256 GB model, so now I have all 5000 songs on my phone, which will be great for road trips.

Same thing for me. I bet in movies and TV shows the X will recognize all faces. It's the dumbest thing ever when they pick up a perp's phone and just start scrolling through messages. Uh huh.
Old 7 January 2018, 06:23 PM   #654
BBL
"TRF" Member

Jan/2018 ... article about iP 8 issues/workarounds...

https://www.gottabemobile.com/iphone...-need-to-know/
Old 7 January 2018, 11:27 PM   #655
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
If you turn wifi off in the Notification centre now, it stays off until you wake your phone up. My emails, iMessages and WhatsApp all come in at 0530 on schooldays when my alarm goes off and on weekends / holidays as soon as I unlock it.

I can't imagine the battery of the X lasting longer than an 8+ but don't see why it can't out-perform an 8.

When I'm out on a job, I can get a full day out of my 8+ as I could my 6S+. When I'm in the office, I can go beyond 48 hours between charges. With my 5S, it was charged eery day and sometimes twice a day when out on a job
I found that the battery life on my X is inversely proportional to the distance to the nearest tower. When I’m near plenty of towers the battery lasts days. In rural areas it will last about ten hours. The tech guys can weigh in, but I’m guessing it burns a lot more juice pinging towers when the reception is poor.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 12:20 PM   #656
USALV
"TRF" Member

Apple just released iOS 11.2.2 today which is a security update.

"The changelog notes Apple included with iOS 11.2.2 release simply says that it “provides a security update and is recommended for all users.” Last week it was reported that Intel and ARM processors were potentially vulnerable to the “Meltdown” and “Spectre” attacks. Apple had already added some of the fixes to those vulnerabilities in iOS and macOS, but this update specifically addresses the Spectre vulnerability in Safari."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/amitcho.../#1396745e1e3b
Old 9 January 2018, 01:34 PM   #657
BBL
"TRF" Member

Quote:

"The changelog notes Apple included with iOS 11.2.2 release simply says that it “provides a security update and is recommended for all users.” Last week it was reported that Intel and ARM processors were potentially vulnerable to the “Meltdown” and “Spectre” attacks. Apple had already added some of the fixes to those vulnerabilities in iOS and macOS, but this update specifically addresses the Spectre vulnerability in Safari."

Thank you for the heads up!! I checked couple days ago, but time got away on me.!
Happy New Year USALV!
DM
Old 9 January 2018, 05:30 PM   #658
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks for the heads-up

Old 10 January 2018, 10:56 AM   #659
USALV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you for the heads up!! I checked couple days ago, but time got away on me.!
Happy New Year USALV!
DM
You're welcome.

Happy New Year BBL!!

Quote:
Thanks for the heads-up
You're welcome.
Old 11 January 2018, 12:54 PM   #660
BBL
"TRF" Member

Didn't want to start another thread:re Apple & Batteries (older devices' performance)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...downs.2100121/

Many comments under article from macrumors.