The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 September 2016, 12:02 PM   #1
Miguelon
"TRF" Member

Speedmaster on 1574 (AT) bracelet

Hi all -

Has anyone put their Speedy on a 1574/898 bracelet? I know its been done by a few folks out there as I have read a couple of threads on it and seen a few photos. The photos I saw looked great but this doesn't seem to be a common combo...

A little background - I got my first "nice watch" about 2 years ago...A the classic Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch. While I love the watch the modern 1998 bracelet has always been a big disappointment for me. It always felt to big, too blingy and I could never get it to fit right. This dissatisfaction was made more evident when I bought my BLNR and got to enjoy how nicely Rolex's modern oyster bracelet looked and felt..

This sent me on a long journey to find the perfect Speedy strap. I discovered what many already know...which is the Speedmaster is probably the most versatile watch for changing straps and bracelets which truly is one of the thins I love about it. I have probably spent close to the value of a new Speedy itself on bracelets and straps in no particular order:

1998 bracelet that it came with - Nice heft but way too wide, much prefer like so many do, a vintage taper. PCL's are a bit cheesy in my book as well.

Black OEM Gator strap with OEM deployant. - I got this with the watch as well A very classy/dressy look...unfortunately a little to formal and dressy for my everyday life.

Black OEM Ralleye Strap - very cool strap with curved ends that hug the case with no gap. A nice option from time to time.

Omega Mesh with seatbelt clasp - Loved it when I first got it but hard for me to stay on mesh for a long time...for some reason I never felt the Speedy belonged on this bracelet (more of a diver's mesh to me)...although it does look good on pics of old JB Champion Bracelets

Hodinkee Nato, Calfskin and Ralleye straps - all good options for sure

In fact when my Speedy is not on a bracelet I find it on an Army Green Nato most often and it looks and fees great....BUT

I also came to the realization that while i like to change things up...I really love all watches most on steel bracelets so this sent me off on the vintage Omega Bracelet goose chase...

First after much research I decided that the holy grail 1450 Bracelet was a must own...but, its impossible to find and goes for over 1k...I probably would've bought it if I was ever able to source it but I gave up...

Then I discovered Ofrei and purchased the 1171 bracelet off their site...and discovered 2 things...
1. I loved the look of vintage tapered bracelets...it's what the Speedy belongs on
2. I hate the feel of flimsy stamped tinny bracelets and clasps. I found the bracelet awful. It felt like it was made out of plastic legos.

Then I found out that the Omega basically made the current 1998 bracelet in a more vintage tapered form which tapered from 20mm to 16mm (instead of 20-18 like the modern bracelet) This is the 1498.

So, I paid 500$ for a 1498 bracelet on ebay...and....its the best one I've found so far...it has the solid end links and heft of a the modern bracelet which I like. But it still has the same polished center link which I know I could brush but the links are still there and in the end...I still feel like I'm searching for the perfect Speedy bracelet...one that could finally bring me peace and my Speedmaster could rest for good.

That's when I came across pics of the speedy on the Aqua Terra 1574 bracelet. Below is a pic of just the bracelet -

http://www.ofrei.com/images/ome020st1574898a.jpg

and here is a pic of someone who swapped their Speedy and AT bracelets:

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p...mer/OMEGA1.jpg

So my question again is does anybody have experience with this bracelet and clasp on a Speedmaster? How did it fit? How is the make of the bracelet? Modern and hefty or flimsy? Any feedback would be much appreciated...the bracelet is 700$ on Ofrei...not sure its worth that unless it could be the one?

Mike
Miguelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2016, 02:01 PM   #2
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Mike, that was a long-ass post.

I have both a Speedy Pro and the AT with the 1574 bracelet. I really love the 1574 bracelet, I wish it was the standard bracelet on the Speedmaster. However, for some reason I have never switched them. Maybe some day I'll put a leather strap on the AT and put the 1574 on the Speedy.

In short - the quality and build of the 1574 is excellent. Well made and solid. I would say that it is worth $700, especially if it makes your Speedy perfect for you.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2017, 09:04 PM   #3
glimmer
Banned

Late late response to the post...I am the one who swapped the bracelets in the 2nd photo. Though both watches are long gone from my collection, I do recall that the AT bracelet fit the Speedy quite nicely. I am actually thinking of getting a Speedy again soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
glimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2017, 11:21 AM   #4
CKL1213
"TRF" Member

wish Omega come out a half link for Speedy bracelet then all the headache gone
CKL1213 is offline   Reply With Quote