The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

View Poll Results: Why would you choose?
Vacheron Cornes de Vache in steel 24 61.54%
Laurent Ferrier Regulator 3 7.69%
Laurent Ferrier Opaline 7 17.95%
Something else (post your suggestion) 5 12.82%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16 September 2021, 12:20 AM   #1
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

New Watch Advice

Enlisting the advice of my esteemed forum members once more. I’m looking to move on from my Moser funky blue endeavor and JLC deep sea alarm (I’ve enjoyed them for a couple of years and feel like it’s time to move on).

Would appreciate thoughts on a replacement. As the poll suggests, I’m strongly considering something from Laurent Ferrier (past and present owners your input would be invaluable) or a cornes de vache.

If you think I should consider something else, definitely let me know.

I look forward to hearing what you all think.

For reference, my current collection is:

Lange 1 in rose gold
Urban Jurgensen 1140 champagne dial
Breguet tradition in white gold
Gronefeld principia (delivery in 2022)
Blancpain Milspec
Grand Seiko sbgw 275
A couple of vintage Grand Seiko, King Seiko and Seiko
Moser Endeavour Funky Blue (moving on)
JLC tribute to deep sea alarm (moving on)
Kurono Reiwa (moving on)

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 01:01 AM   #2
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Mb&f
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 03:43 AM   #3
paxsinica
"TRF" Member

VC CdV complements your collection well
paxsinica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 09:02 AM   #4
kimodaz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 16750
Check out

Czapek watches.
kimodaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 12:55 PM   #5
Justindo
"TRF" Member

You've got a great collection and I can definitely see you moving on from the pieces you mention. I really like Laurent Ferrier watches but everything about the Cornes de Vache is so stellar that I can't vote against it. Maybe if the Lange 1815 Chronograph was on the list (I own both) it would sway me over the Cornes de Vache but of your choices I would go for the Vacheron. Any would fit in great with your collection.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 01:15 PM   #6
rolexfanforlife
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
CDV but if you can swing the gold, I would go gold CDV. That’s what I did and is one of my favorites
GS: SBGP017; Omega: PO diamond; RM: 67-02 (Green); Rolex: 16710, 16520, 116509 (TMOP), 116520, 5513, 1680, 16013 (Tiffany stamped), 116610LV, 124300 x 2 (Celebration; Green), 126719BLRO (Meteorite), 226570 (polar) Oyster Quartz; Tag: Monaco; VC: Patrimony!
rolexfanforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 02:12 PM   #7
Jmaguire17
"TRF" Member

How about the patek 5172g

It's similar to the Vacheron cdv but a bit bigger and fits better on a 7.25wrist
Jmaguire17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2021, 09:50 PM   #8
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Many thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone.

After posting this thread I stumbled upon a limited run watch collaboration between Moritz Grossmann and Wei Koh. This watch definitely isn’t for everyone, but it spoke to me the second I saw it. So I went in that direction. 37mm, manual wind with a grand feu enamel dial and deep, inky Roman numerals. It fills in a (admittedly niche) hole in my collection. The watch is still in shipping phase, so I’ll have to do an incoming with proper pics later (there isn’t a ton of information online about this watch).

For those interested, Mark Cho has a great video with macro shots:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7Xly2EsMOs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
You've got a great collection and I can definitely see you moving on from the pieces you mention. I really like Laurent Ferrier watches but everything about the Cornes de Vache is so stellar that I can't vote against it. Maybe if the Lange 1815 Chronograph was on the list (I own both) it would sway me over the Cornes de Vache but of your choices I would go for the Vacheron. Any would fit in great with your collection.
I very much appreciate the kind words. I love the 1815 chrono, but it just doesn’t sit well on my wrist. I was really bummed when I tried it out a couple years ago since that was my dream chronograph.

Old 6 October 2021, 05:24 AM   #9
GreenRust
"TRF" Member

Huge congrats in advance. I was actually going to recommend a Grossman, in SS with salmon dial and central seconds. Wow, that limited model looks amazing, love the "stealth" dial too (because everyone has heard of M Grossman right? 😂) and it helps to avoid my one slight quibble of the Grossman watches, the dial logo...it looks like a sign for a dentist's office. Nothing against dentists of course. Huge congrats again and I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it when you receive it. Its a great addition to your already amazing collection.
GreenRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 05:26 AM   #10
dannyp
Banned

Gp 1945?
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 05:50 AM   #11
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenRust View Post
Huge congrats in advance. I was actually going to recommend a Grossman, in SS with salmon dial and central seconds. Wow, that limited model looks amazing, love the "stealth" dial too (because everyone has heard of M Grossman right? 😂) and it helps to avoid my one slight quibble of the Grossman watches, the dial logo...it looks like a sign for a dentist's office. Nothing against dentists of course. Huge congrats again and I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it when you receive it. Its a great addition to your already amazing collection.
Thanks for the kind words.

Hahaha. I never liked their logo as well. Comparing it to a dentist office sign is so spot on, I will never see it any other way.

I’ve always wanted a watch from MG, but the 41mm is too large for my taste. Their 37mm offerings are slim pickings. Very glad they made this. I’ll tell you, picking between this, the CDV and a Laurent Ferrier was the most challenging decision of my life….and I’m married with two planned kids.

Im certain most people will think I’m nuts for choosing this over a CDV. I’ll definitely give my thoughts though. Hopefully I can shed a little light on this brand to a few folks. They deserve much more recognition.

Old 6 October 2021, 12:33 PM   #12
Justindo
"TRF" Member

That Moritz Grossmann is a lovely looking watch and is just the right size and without their hideous logo. (It seems we're all in agreement about the logo!) I bet you can't wait to get it. Congratulations.

I also agree with rolexfanforlife that the Cornes de Vache looks best in rose gold but I couldn't resist the platinum version after handling all three in the metal.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2021, 12:15 AM   #13
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
That Moritz Grossmann is a lovely looking watch and is just the right size and without their hideous logo. (It seems we're all in agreement about the logo!) I bet you can't wait to get it. Congratulations.

I also agree with rolexfanforlife that the Cornes de Vache looks best in rose gold but I couldn't resist the platinum version after handling all three in the metal.
Agree, it does look best in rose gold. I'm just not a colored metal guy I think. Already planning on swapping my RG Lange 1 for a WG version.

Old 7 October 2021, 09:48 AM   #14
athens7
2024 Pledge Member

Congratulations on your choice! I recently acquired a MG Central Seconds with the salmon dial and am very pleased. The workmanship is first rate, from the movement construction to the finissage to the dial and dial furniture. MG hands are particularly attractive (a worthy alternative to LF's Assegai hands, IMO).

FWIW, the MG logo is designed to reflect the 2/3 plate that features prominently in most of their models. That said, it's not the strength of the watch.
athens7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2021, 11:40 AM   #15
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by athens7 View Post
Congratulations on your choice! I recently acquired a MG Central Seconds with the salmon dial and am very pleased. The workmanship is first rate, from the movement construction to the finissage to the dial and dial furniture. MG hands are particularly attractive (a worthy alternative to LF's Assegai hands, IMO).

FWIW, the MG logo is designed to reflect the 2/3 plate that features prominently in most of their models. That said, it's not the strength of the watch.
Thanks! Fantastic choice on your part as well. The salmon dial and blue printing is awesome and that thin central seconds hand is eye catching for sure.

Glad to see this brand getting some well-deserved recognition. From what I have seen and read, their workmanship is every bit that of Lange and Laurent Ferrier.

Old 9 October 2021, 08:41 AM   #16
cfree011
"TRF" Member

I'd go Lange 1 in rose gold. Or a NOS JLC Master Compressor Chrono

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
cfree011 is offline   Reply With Quote