The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 March 2024, 03:23 PM   #1
yoda888
"TRF" Member

What watch to wear to Japan?

First world problems, so hear me out first.

Going to Japan with the family and trying to figure out what watch to wear. In general, Japan is pretty darn safe. Originally, I was thinking to wear my kermit - a bit of color for fun. Or perhaps the classic, 2-line sub - could pack a couple of nato straps to change it up. Or, my tudor GMT pro - actually use the GMT function for real!

Then, I started to think. Perhaps I should just wear my apple watch! 2 reasons, 1, it can track all the walking we'll do while there. 2, if I find a watch I like, I can wear it back and throw the apple watch in my bag.

What say you!?
yoda888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2024, 03:33 PM   #2
morleda
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda888 View Post
First world problems, so hear me out first.

Going to Japan with the family and trying to figure out what watch to wear. In general, Japan is pretty darn safe. Originally, I was thinking to wear my kermit - a bit of color for fun. Or perhaps the classic, 2-line sub - could pack a couple of nato straps to change it up. Or, my tudor GMT pro - actually use the GMT function for real!

Then, I started to think. Perhaps I should just wear my apple watch! 2 reasons, 1, it can track all the walking we'll do while there. 2, if I find a watch I like, I can wear it back and throw the apple watch in my bag.

What say you!?

Sounds way too stressful. Cancel your plans. Stay home
morleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2024, 03:47 PM   #3
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I'd take the Apple watch (or G-Shock in my case), and buy a Grand Seiko or Seiko diver there. The yen is at record lows against the US$ right now.
Old 27 March 2024, 04:11 PM   #4
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
You’ll be fine in Japan no matter what you choose. Don’t overthink it just enjoy the trip
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2024, 04:15 PM   #5
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I always wear a GMT of some brand or another. I've always got to know what time it is back home.
pickettt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2024, 06:03 PM   #6
agriculture&watches
"TRF" Member

In my opinion you should wear anything with GMT and use this function as it should be
agriculture&watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2024, 07:07 PM   #7
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
GMT
Old 27 March 2024, 07:11 PM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Another GMT vote
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2024, 08:57 PM   #9
Watchout4time
2024 Pledge Member

If you have a grand seiko it will be a great fit for Japan.
Watchout4time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2024, 09:28 PM   #10
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
A fun watch. GMT works.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2024, 09:39 PM   #11
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Travel is what a GMT does best.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2024, 10:38 PM   #12
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few
Don’t wear any watch.

Go to Nakano Broadway in Tokyo and buy 2 watches.
alex.cicollo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:54 AM   #13
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
The Apple watch has some good options that a mechanical watch doesn’t. I’d go Apple and shop GS for the plane ride home.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:51 AM   #14
Tal & Co.
"TRF" Member

Wear the GMT and find a watch to buy while out there for the right price.

Also find yourself some nice Japanese Denim to buy, my favorite brands are Iron Hearts or Momotaro.

Enjoy the trip!
Tal & Co. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:00 AM   #15
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Omg lol what watch do I wear?!?! It's Japan, not the slums of South Africa. You should be looking at the fantastic scenery & interacting with people, and if your watch decision will detract from that, then stay home & watch a YouTube video on Japanese travels. You're an adult: pick a wristwatch without the collective MENSA-level arbitration of TRF.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:14 AM   #16
Jackie Daytona
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Lived in Japan for a while and literally just wear whatever you like. Super safe place. I miss it. Hope to return before long

Double wrist it with the Apple Watch if you want. Tourists in general have done much stranger things.
Old Yesterday, 04:45 AM   #17
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratfisk View Post
Omg lol what watch do I wear?!?! It's Japan, not the slums of South Africa. You should be looking at the fantastic scenery & interacting with people, and if your watch decision will detract from that, then stay home & watch a YouTube video on Japanese travels. You're an adult: pick a wristwatch without the collective MENSA-level arbitration of TRF.
Old Yesterday, 04:54 AM   #18
yoda888
"TRF" Member

Woah, this is a bit harsh. Perhaps reading comprehension isn't your thing. I wasn't asking about safety. I was trying to figure out which would have good utility and the possibility of making a purchase or two while in Japan. Thus I could potentially wear the purchase back as a personal item! But hey it's a free country so thanks for your most helpful contribution to the thread.

BTW I never stated it was unsafe. It's a lot safer than home!

Quote:
Old Yesterday, 05:09 AM   #19
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
Just so you know, 'Mensa' isn't written in all caps. It's the Latin word for 'table' not an acronym. We cover that at the meetings.
Old Yesterday, 05:27 AM   #20
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Woah, this is a bit harsh. Perhaps reading comprehension isn't your thing. I wasn't asking about safety. I was trying to figure out which would have good utility and the possibility of making a purchase or two while in Japan. Thus I could potentially wear the purchase back as a personal item! But hey it's a free country so thanks for your most helpful contribution to the thread.

Sounds like you already had your mind made up. Having said that, I would probably wear one of the Rolexes. Japan is one of the safest countries in the world.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:35 AM   #21
wanethan
"TRF" Member

You should wear the apple watch and get a GS on your way back.
wanethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:44 AM   #22
omar10213245
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulkerino
wear your favorite Bell & Ross
omar10213245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:15 AM   #23
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Watches are fine but best thing about Japan is the food, so put any watch budget into eating out, best Wagyu obviously and try to get to Tsukiji/Toyosu market early for some really fresh sushi.

AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:47 AM   #24
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:

No, reading comp was never my strong suit. I just learned this language a few months ago & barely made a passing score on the exam. You'll have to genuinely forgive me: Many threads are made on this forum of people scared to do any sort of activity with their watches outside of a hermetically-sealed vault. It is possible I assumed that was your case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
Just so you know, 'Mensa' isn't written in all caps. It's the Latin word for 'table' not an acronym. We cover that at the meetings.
This made me smile :) I knew I wasn't showing up at the right meetings... I've been sent to bootleg Mensa meetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
Sounds like you already had your mind made up. Having said that, I would probably wear one of the Rolexes. Japan is one of the safest countries in the world.
100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Watches are fine but best thing about Japan is the food, so put any watch budget into eating out, best Wagyu obviously and try to get to Tsukiji/Toyosu market early for some really fresh sushi.

Whoa! These look amazing!

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:02 AM   #25
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.cicollo View Post
Don’t wear any watch.

Go to Nakano Broadway in Tokyo and buy 2 watches.
Expect to pay an insane amount, used or new watches there are not negotiable.
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM   #26
gliazzurri
"TRF" Member

How
Many
More
Questions

About

What
To
Wear
???????????

I never understand the safety question. Is one able to be aware enough to travel somewhere new? If so who cares?? Sorry I just don’t get it. Moreover as I’ve said before how are we to pick what another should wear? You know your style. We don’t. Should I wear boxers or briefs? You tell me. No actually I’ll make that decision.
gliazzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM   #27
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I would take the Apple watch. If you buy something there you can wear it home as said above. Forget about the Rolex stuff, safe or not. Sounds like it would be a distraction and worry.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM   #28
yoda888
"TRF" Member

Didn't make up my mind. I was going back and forth between kermit and GMT pro. Then it dawned on me that it would perhaps be better to wear the apple watch just incase I made a purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
Oh, i thought I could find some good deals. Especially with a stronger dollar. I guess haggling isn't a japanese custom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopi-c View Post
Expect to pay an insane amount, used or new watches there are not negotiable.
How many more people will not spend the time to read the post and just make an assumption and respond just to hear themselves talk?

If you go back to the original post, I did not mention anything about fear, etc. It was a strategic question in another watch was acquired while on the trip. Thanks for the input, feedback, and carriage returns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliazzurri View Post
How
Many
More
Questions

About

What
To
Wear
???????????

I never understand the safety question. Is one able to be aware enough to travel somewhere new? If so who cares?? Sorry I just don’t get it. Moreover as I’ve said before how are we to pick what another should wear? You know your style. We don’t. Should I wear boxers or briefs? You tell me. No actually I’ll make that decision.
Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM   #29
gliazzurri
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Didn't make up my mind. I was going back and forth between kermit and GMT pro. Then it dawned on me that it would perhaps be better to wear the apple watch just incase I made a purchase.

Oh, i thought I could find some good deals. Especially with a stronger dollar. I guess haggling isn't a japanese custom.

How many more people will not spend the time to read the post and just make an assumption and respond just to hear themselves talk?

If you go back to the original post, I did not mention anything about fear, etc. It was a strategic question in another watch was acquired while on the trip. Thanks for the input, feedback, and carriage returns.

Sorry my friend. There are so many what should I wear posts and it is just a bit strange to me to ask unknown people what to wear. Apologies if you think I am being cruel. Yes you didn’t say you were scared though the classic standard topic of safety was raised indirectly in the post referencing it is a safe place. I’m just struggling to know how to answer this question as I think the options are practically the same to me—watch 1 or 2 or 3. I think the biggest question is should you wear a watch or not. Beyond that I don’t see how our opinion trumps your wish. You will be using it there not us. Bottom line period full stop on that. And personally I don’t consider an Apple Watch a watch in the sense of why we come to these forums but that’s my biased opinion. No harm meant but really just leaves me scratching my head.
Now if we want to discuss comparable of one watch to another I’d love to do that all day long, but what someone should pick for themselves?? Impossible to tell you.
gliazzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:02 AM   #30
Carguy87
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I'd take the Apple watch (or G-Shock in my case), and buy a Grand Seiko or Seiko diver there. The yen is at record lows against the US$ right now.
This is the right answer!! Come home with a new watch to commemorate an awesome trip! Plus as I understand there are special editions of Grand Seiko you can only purchase in Japan, so for a watch nerd like me that would add a layer of cool to the whole thing!
Tudor: Black Bay GMT Opaline
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote