The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 September 2020, 09:52 AM   #1
Roovain
"TRF" Member

How do I know that my watch is wound fully?

OK, I'm kind-of a newbie, so please excuse this newbie question.....but if I want to hand-wind my 5205, how do I know it's fully wound? Will the crown actually come to a halt? Or will it become obviously tough to turn? Or is there a chance I could overwind it, and break the spring? And does anyone actually know how many typical turns it takes to fully wind one of these? Thanks for your patience and input.
Roovain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 11:48 PM   #2
Roovain
"TRF" Member

Can anyone answer this, please?

I can't believe that no one has been able to answer this, with all you aficionado's out there?
Roovain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 12:31 AM   #3
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Well it’s an automatic with a rotor, I'm guessing there is a clutch to prevent over winding, so you wouldn’t reach a stop like you would with a manual wind movement. I’ll let the experts chime in.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 12:36 AM   #4
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
i believe some watches have a release mechanism to prevent over winding, some can also be wound both directions.
not sure on pateks since i only own a vintage, which definitely doesn't.
i just go by mechanical empathy when winding. generally to fully wind it takes about 30 revolutions on most watches. but you can feel when it's getting fully loaded, and no need to get it 100% there.
one of my watches will just stop when it's wound (think it's my ALS). a power reserve indicator is another good aid.
cheers
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 02:09 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roovain View Post
I can't believe that no one has been able to answer this, with all you aficionado's out there?
An auto-wind watch has a bridle around the mainspring. This bridle pushes out against the barrel that the mainspring is wound into. After the mainspring reaches maximum compression and cannot be wound more, the bridle starts to slip inside the barrel, therefore, the mainspring will never break from overwinding. The crown will never come to a stop on an autowind movement.

Any mainspring wound watch will gradually become more difficult to wind as it gains torque, then it will also become a bit more difficult as you slip the bridle.

This increased winding pressure is subtle. An unwound watch is very easy to turn the crown on, similar to turning the crown backwards (no back-torque).

If you compare winding counter clockwise with clockwise, a wound watch mainspring would be twice as hard to turn clockwise.

Or, you could figure about 50 winds of the crown would do the job.
Old 27 September 2020, 02:36 AM   #6
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5205r-010
When I bought my 5205, the AD told me to wind it 8 times. That's all. She sounded like a catastrophe would happen if I overwound it.
Normal wear, she said, would keep it running.
Since there is no such thing as normal wear, that was no help.
I know AP has an overwind release of some kind which keeps you from doing too much.
I dont know about PP.
So now I just wind it 8 times, once a day. This seems to work but is not based on anything other that experience.
GSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 07:06 AM   #7
RollinMoses
"TRF" Member

If you are going to be wearing it then 10 clockwise turns of the crown will be enough to get it sufficiently in motion.

If you are not wearing it then I believe it is better to set it when needed or get a winder.
RollinMoses is offline   Reply With Quote