The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 27 September 2020, 05:17 AM   #1
Jim Beam
Banned

Watch: 116503
Any advice for first Porsche purchase?

This topic is decidedly not Rolex related but I trust the people here and would like some general feedback.

I am about to receive a nice promotion at work and I want to explore the possibility of buying a Porsche. So I'd love to get some general feedback from Porsche owners here on various topics.
  1. Has anyone had any issues with ordering their custom Porsche? I say this because it seems like any time I want to order a car, the dealership always wants to sell you something that is on their lot or they can get from another dealer. I get the sense that Porsches are much more customizable so I'm assuming most are custom ordered but I'd like feedback on that.
  2. Has anyone done the Porsche experience delivery in LA or Atlanta? It's such a small cost that I can't imagine that the expense wouldn't be worth it and I'm reasonably close to LA that I think I want to do this there.
  3. What about European delivery? I took a hard look at that when I wanted a MB and they seem to make it a nice experience - I'm assuming Porsche does the same. Anyone here done that?
Jim Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 05:29 AM   #2
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Sounds like you are looking to buy a new car? CPO is another option.

First step is to go test drive and narrow down exactly what options are important to you.

Not Porsche specific advice but it's best to shop around in various markets / AD's even outside your state. You can negotiate and pull the trigger on the one that makes the most sense for you.
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 07:14 AM   #3
Angi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116506
From my experience here in Canada Porsche has been amazing to work with, and somewhat subtly boast how great and in depth there customization can be. The only fack tee is patience really, I feel like a really customized vehicle would take around 3-6 months to be delivered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Angi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 07:18 AM   #4
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1888 Appleton Trac
I agree with Klim, CPO is a great way to go and Porsche has (I think) the best CPO program out there, 2 years where as I believe others are remainder of factory warranty plus 1.

what model are you thinking about ?
twitch54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 07:27 AM   #5
Moving Chicane
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM233 Dot Dial
Let's see... the guidance I've received over time:

1. Buy the newest you can afford
2. Don't settle - buy the spec you want
2. If you buy old, have the same amount of purchase price $ to rebuild the engine if it goes bad (probably not as true today with some of the price increases)

I've been through four (996 GT3, 981 Cayman S, Macan GTS, 991 GT3RS) since 2004 and the best was the 996 GT3. FWIW.

Good luck and post pictures! :)
41mm Starbucks
Moving Chicane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 07:31 AM   #6
Jim Beam
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliminator View Post
Sounds like you are looking to buy a new car? CPO is another option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch54 View Post
I agree with Klim, CPO is a great way to go and Porsche has (I think) the best CPO program out there, 2 years where as I believe others are remainder of factory warranty plus 1.

what model are you thinking about ?
One of my funny "quirks" is that I'm not a fan of buying used things. Yes, I know I'm taking the worst of it when buying a new car, but I just have to know/experience the history of it from Mile 0. And since this is a special, maybe even a once-in-a-lifetime purchase, I am not looking to go CPO.

At this time, I'm looking at some of the 718 models. Having said that, I am increasingly tempted by some of the 911s. The 718 is a comfortable purchase, the 911s would be a bit of "stretch" purchase but not impossible for me. So I'm somewhere in between a highly-customized 718 S to a moderately customized 911 Carrera, if that makes sense.
Old 27 September 2020, 07:33 AM   #7
Jim Beam
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angi View Post
From my experience here in Canada Porsche has been amazing to work with, and somewhat subtly boast how great and in depth there customization can be. The only fack tee is patience really, I feel like a really customized vehicle would take around 3-6 months to be delivered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm OK with that. If anything, I have too many cars for a single man. I have a Mustang as my "fun" car and an Audi Q5 that I hold on to to haul my dog around. A months-long wait wouldn't bother me in the least.
Old 27 September 2020, 07:36 AM   #8
Jim Beam
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Chicane View Post
Let's see... the guidance I've received over time:

1. Buy the newest you can afford
2. Don't settle - buy the spec you want
2. If you buy old, have the same amount of purchase price $ to rebuild the engine if it goes bad (probably not as true today with some of the price increases)

I've been through four (996 GT3, 981 Cayman S, Macan GTS, 991 GT3RS) since 2004 and the best was the 996 GT3. FWIW.

Good luck and post pictures! :)
Thanks for the advice. In regards to #2, I grew up in the 80s/90s and would love a Porsche from that era. Unibodies were up until the mid 90s right? But I was just plain shocked at how much those cars are right now. A good number of Porsches from that era are still the same price as a very nice car now! Sure, not one of today's Porsches, but still a pretty high cost, comparatively speaking.
Old 27 September 2020, 11:25 AM   #9
mschafer
"TRF" Member

I think you have a couple of great options, getting a great deal by buying off the dealers lot and try get a as close to the specs you want, or go all out, get delivery in Germany, and make it a trip for 4 weeks, visit the factory, cross some alpine passes, get some great food, and open the new baby up on your way to Hamburg to be shipped over. I’d do the later one, going 55/65mph in NYS is just sooo boring.
mschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 12:20 PM   #10
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Strongly advise that you check out Nick Murray's channel on YouTube (he also posts on Porsche forums). He reviews every option for the 911 and gives his opinion on each.
https://www.youtube.com/c/NickMurray/videos
Old 27 September 2020, 12:30 PM   #11
cantdrive55
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hmmm…
1. ordering a new porsche is fun - lots of options to make it exactly what you want
2. atlanta delivery is very cool - schedule it as soon as you are able, as they can get backed up...
3. haven’t done euro delivery

you can go to the experience centers in los angeles or atlanta and pay to drive virtually any porsche at the test facility...

consider going to porsche driving school in birmingham, alabama - it’s more fun than you can possibly imagine and will teach you how unbelievably capable porsches are on the track while improving significantly your driving skills...
cantdrive55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 01:15 PM   #12
lencap
"TRF" Member

Porsche owners are a very active group, often holding local track events and social gatherings (although clearly COVID impacted lately). When I began my Porsche quest I found speaking with local club members very helpful. They typically have lots of model specific knowledge and can often guide you to owners of the model(s) you may be considering. One gentleman offered to have me as a passenger for some hot laps at a Porsche track event, which I appreciated very much.

The 911 is considered by many to be "THE Porsche", but recently the Cayman line has had several special models aimed at those looking for a more "hard core" driving experience. Personally, a base model 4 cylinder 718 is a wonderful car, but Porsche is great at getting people to upgrade and the prices rise pretty quickly. The 6 cylinder engines were magical - great sound, balanced power and torque, very responsive. The new turbo 4 cylinder have lost the Porsche "sound", and you may find turbo lag in some situations. Caveat emptor.

Porsche reintroduced 6 cylinder engines in some Cayman models and for many (including me) that's a preferred engine, but at a significantly higher price point. As for the 911 line, some feel that the most recent cars are "softer" than prior models - aimed more at comfort instead of ultimate performance. While that may be true in some cases, the 911 line to me is a "do it all" car. Incredibly capable in all situations, comfortable for long trips or short runs with "gusto", and everything in between. Keep in mind I'm a "senior citizen" and my desire for comfort makes me a bit biased, but any Porsche will keep you very entertained.

The Cayman/Boxster line is lots of fun, but they ride a bit harsher in everyday use, and while fun and fully capable they may become tiresome on roads that aren't well maintained. Tire noise is also worth checking out. Porsche owners often upgrade tire diameters in certain option packages. If comfort along with performance is an issue, definitely check out the ride in person.

Finally, the PDK transmission is considered by many to be the "Gold Standard" of transmissions. I've yet to encounter a situation where it wasn't able to deliver all the performance that the car is capable of providing. On the other hand, Porsche is one of the few companies still offering a manual transmission. If you like to "row your own" there aren't many manual transmissions that are better than what Porsche offers.

I've not had any experience with European delivery, but I did spec the options I wanted in my car. I was surprised when the dealer located one equipped just as I wanted it and arranged for the transfer to the dealership. Join the Porsche club if you want the full experience.

Have fun. It's a great marque. Just don't go to a Ferrari dealership (;->).
lencap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 08:55 PM   #13
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I custom ordered my Targa 4 GTS. It was a long wait.

Not an issue with them wanting me to get something off the lot. But each dealer only has so many allocations. So depending on the model you want, even if you build it, the dealer might not be able to submit until they have an allocation.

Imo, I’d go CPO. Any new 992 is likely going to take a huge hit. My opinion only, but they are the first of many. Whereas the 991.2 models are all the last of their kind.

Then again, the 992 is reportedly a markedly better car. And I too don’t very much like a used car. So if money isn’t an issue, go for it. But either way, put down a large down payment to keep payments small and to ensure good equity in the car. Sorry for this last bit, I can’t help it.

Options were an issue for me. I built a car above its typical level. My targa didn’t need the 10k option of ceramic brakes or the all wheel steering. But I don’t regret it. The car drives and looks the way I want it to. Don’t skimp on the options, but also don’t waste money on the stupid ones. Imo, the ones that add aesthetic appeal and add driving ability are worth it. Most of the others are not. And these thing are infinitely customizable.

Good luck. Have fun. Post your build. Would love to see it.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 08:59 PM   #14
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Also, I didn’t do the pick up experiences. Even tho I wanted to. I chose to bring my dad with me instead and that wasn’t something he could do.

But if I ever do it again, I’ll do that for certain. Couple of pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 698B42F6-DD90-4894-A1FE-0D97596E9E69.jpeg (283.2 KB, 579 views)
File Type: jpeg 9C176E86-08F3-45CB-AA48-8F8874D9310F.jpeg (240.0 KB, 585 views)

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 09:03 PM   #15
Goin2drt
Banned

#1 you will find the dealer is more than willing to order you a car as long as you are not trying to order a “hard to get” allocation like a GT car. You can also negotiate the price on an order just the same as you would a car on the lot. Friend just did this with a Cheyenne.
#2 save you money unless you just want to go to LA or Atlanta as the delivery experience at these places are plenty uneventful. I used to live in Socal and plenty of my friends did the LA one and blah.
#3 do this at all costs if your budget will allow. Pre COVID I have had a few do this. They made a weeks vacation out of it. You get the full experience of the event and then drive the car for a week and return it. Go over to Rennlist if you decide to do this. There are hundreds that have and there is all sorts of great advise and details about doing this,

Enjoy your new car. They are wonderful machines. We’ve owned 2. Here are a few pics to liven up the thread.
24E3C917-70D6-4AB0-981A-642A42E92E7E.jpeg

61AD0BDC-E70C-442D-8207-9691D484AD75.jpeg
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 09:57 PM   #16
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschafer View Post
I think you have a couple of great options, getting a great deal by buying off the dealers lot and try get a as close to the specs you want, or go all out, get delivery in Germany, and make it a trip for 4 weeks, visit the factory, cross some alpine passes, get some great food, and open the new baby up on your way to Hamburg to be shipped over. I’d do the later one, going 55/65mph in NYS is just sooo boring.

Yep - should be do-able in a realistic 4.5 hours or so depending on traffic.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 10:16 PM   #17
stratguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
Get a 997.2 - classic looks, great performance, affordable and reliable.
stratguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 10:30 PM   #18
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Custom order is no problem it’s Porsche’s bread and butter on the 911. I would personally stick to performance and functionality as nobody will pay you for full leather etc down the road. I only say so because I’m cheap and maybe you are too with a car like a bmw lease etc I always opt for the extended leather etc but here I don’t think it’s necessary.

I also strongly recommend just getting the 992 Carrera. The cayman is great and arguably a better platform but if there’s any grain of your body that wants a 911 now is not the time to pass over 20-30k.

Definitely check out Rennlist.

Euro delivery sounds amazing but not something I’d personally attempt right now.

I have a 992 Carrera and we love it. We also loved our 991 though so could be biased
Old 28 September 2020, 12:15 AM   #19
TRS1
"TRF" Member

2009 997.1 turbo here. I love it.
TRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 04:17 AM   #20
DudePerfect
Banned

Watch: amacallit!
If buying new stick as close to MSRP as possible. Future values basically the same for Porsche’s with 5k of options as cars with 50k.
DudePerfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 05:09 AM   #21
Mandalorian
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41
Custom order is definitely the way to go because of just how configurable they are. The amount of choices Porsche offers is almost overwhelming, but you can tailor the car to your every individual preference, which is pretty rare in this day and age.
Mandalorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 01:06 AM   #22
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I did #1, no worries.

Bought a 991.1 sold it a year later and got a 981. Much better.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 03:46 AM   #23
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
I did #1, no worries.

Bought a 991.1 sold it a year later and got a 981. Much better.
C'mon. You owning a particular car for a year is much more of an endorsement than the average reader realizes!

OP, as others have said, Porsche options can get ridiculously expensive. Stick to what is important to you. Also, make sure to drive a 911 and a 718. I found the 718s a little cramped being a two-seater and while no one has ever sat in the back seat of my 911, it's helpful being able to stash stuff there. FWIW, my 991 Cab is the most fun car I've ever owned!
Old 29 September 2020, 03:58 AM   #24
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I’ve had two Porsches, a 987 Cayman S and a 991 Carrera, both bought new off the dealer’s lot. Options can get silly and as mentioned won’t add much at resale time. Both cars were great. The 911 was more versatile, the Cayman more flingable. A Boxster is on my short list for a retirement fun car.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 05:20 AM   #25
encarter13
"TRF" Member

I do not have much to offer outside of what has already been said.

I tried to go CPO and I visited two dealers fairly frequently. They did not mind my frequent visits and it never seemed like I was bothering them. In fact, the dealers would call me to tell me about cars on the lot.

After about a year of not really falling in love with a specific Porsche, I ended up custom ordering a 718 Cayman. I do not regret it. It was actually a great experience and I greatly enjoyed it.

I received a few factory updates throughout the build and I was also able to track the boat as it crossed the Atlantic.
Old 29 September 2020, 05:58 AM   #26
Razorsedge1
"TRF" Member

My understanding is Barber Porsche Experience just outside of Birmingham, AL is much better than Atlanta or LA. That being said if you are near LA I would give it a shot. As others have mentioned you should be able to negotiate a reasonable discount on an ordered car. Good luck!
Razorsedge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 07:37 AM   #27
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Post
One of my funny "quirks" is that I'm not a fan of buying used things. Yes, I know I'm taking the worst of it when buying a new car, but I just have to know/experience the history of it from Mile 0. And since this is a special, maybe even a once-in-a-lifetime purchase, I am not looking to go CPO.

At this time, I'm looking at some of the 718 models. Having said that, I am increasingly tempted by some of the 911s. The 718 is a comfortable purchase, the 911s would be a bit of "stretch" purchase but not impossible for me. So I'm somewhere in between a highly-customized 718 S to a moderately customized 911 Carrera, if that makes sense.
I've had a 987 Boxster, 991 C2, and now a Macan GTS (toddler forced that).

Are you looking for a convertible or coupe?

If the former, I'd rather go 718. I generally prefer convertibles designed from the ground up to be a convertible vs chopping off the roof of a car even if the frame is reinforced. Esthetically and structurally more optimal. Though I guess these days a Boxster could be considered a Cayman with the roof chopped off vs a convertible that had a roof added. So perhaps my inclination isn't so applicable.
But I do think a Boxster looks better with the top down than a 911. The Targa 911, adds a different wrinkle.

If the latter, I'd recommend a 911 vs 718 for a few practical matters:
- Passenger being able to recline for a nap. Really useful on long road trips.
- Can carry a 3rd or 4th passenger in a pinch.
- More interior room for jackets, backpacks, etc.
A 911 is so much more practical, and the interior feels more spacious even if just 2 passengers.

If you go 718, and as your 1st Porsche, please get a 6 cylinder model.
The 4 banger might perform fine, but a tremendous part of the Porsche experience is the engine, and their flat 6 is a unique experience from a sound and feel perspective.
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 12:09 AM   #28
Sperry
"TRF" Member

This is definitely one of my favorite threads lately. But I usually do give my build a leather headliner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg targa.jpg (66.9 KB, 262 views)
Sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 01:45 AM   #29
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

I'm out of the loop, I had no idea a 718 GTS was released with the 6-cyl NA engine. Anybody in more northern climes drive a Cayman or 911 year round, swapping summer and winter wheel sets? I'd have access to an SUV for bad snow days. Side note, I usually buy cars and keep them for at least 5 years, so I'd be driving the snot out of one of these year round if possible.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2020, 12:56 PM   #30
Jim Beam
Banned

So much good info in this thread! Thanks to everyone that contributed, I have tried to add replies where appropriate because I have made some strides towards my purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Strongly advise that you check out Nick Murray's channel on YouTube (he also posts on Porsche forums). He reviews every option for the 911 and gives his opinion on each.
https://www.youtube.com/c/NickMurray/videos
Thanks for that recommendation, his videos are quite entertaining and I have sat through some of the 911 specific ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Good luck. Have fun. Post your build. Would love to see it.
Yes, I will post my build as I get closer to a purchase. Right now I'm leaning towards one of the cabriolet models but that may very well change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
#2 save you money unless you just want to go to LA or Atlanta as the delivery experience at these places are plenty uneventful. I used to live in Socal and plenty of my friends did the LA one and blah.
Yes, I have seen some of the videos online and they are less of an exciting event than I had imagined. But, I did visit PEC LA in October and had a great time. I drove one of the 911 Carerra S and had a great instructor. Really can't say enough good things about PEC so I might do the LA delivery just to be able to go there again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudePerfect View Post
If buying new stick as close to MSRP as possible. Future values basically the same for Porsche’s with 5k of options as cars with 50k.
That's an interesting point. I would love to hear your rationale for this. You're basically saying that the used market for these just floats around the same price, towards the lowest common denominator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
OP, as others have said, Porsche options can get ridiculously expensive. Stick to what is important to you. Also, make sure to drive a 911 and a 718. I found the 718s a little cramped being a two-seater and while no one has ever sat in the back seat of my 911, it's helpful being able to stash stuff there. FWIW, my 991 Cab is the most fun car I've ever owned!
I think you're 100% right on 911 and 718 comparison. I went to PEC LA and before picking a package, I called them because I'm a bigger guy and wanted to make sure that wasn't an issue. The agent advised me that a 718 was not ideal and they were right. I had a session in the 911 and felt completely comfortable the entire time. So, the 911 is now my entire Porsche list and I'm no longer considering the 718 at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux View Post
Are you looking for a convertible or coupe?

If the former, I'd rather go 718. I generally prefer convertibles designed from the ground up to be a convertible vs chopping off the roof of a car even if the frame is reinforced. Esthetically and structurally more optimal. Though I guess these days a Boxster could be considered a Cayman with the roof chopped off vs a convertible that had a roof added. So perhaps my inclination isn't so applicable.
But I do think a Boxster looks better with the top down than a 911. The Targa 911, adds a different wrinkle.

If the latter, I'd recommend a 911 vs 718 for a few practical matters:
- Passenger being able to recline for a nap. Really useful on long road trips.
- Can carry a 3rd or 4th passenger in a pinch.
- More interior room for jackets, backpacks, etc.
A 911 is so much more practical, and the interior feels more spacious even if just 2 passengers.

If you go 718, and as your 1st Porsche, please get a 6 cylinder model.
The 4 banger might perform fine, but a tremendous part of the Porsche experience is the engine, and their flat 6 is a unique experience from a sound and feel perspective.
Good points here. I'm going to stick with a 911 and I'm leaning towards the Cabriolet. Ever since I was a little kid I've always thought that 911 convertibles were incredibly sexy. Yes, I know that takes away from some of the performance/track aspects of the car, but how often am I really going to be doing that?

One last item on my visit to the PEC in LA: I need launch control in my life! Wow, that was SO much fun, best money I've ever spent (and PEC is not cheap!). So a Cabriolet, in Guard's Red with launch control might be in my future at some point. I have a couple things brewing between now and the end of the year, but I'm still continuing towards this purchase.