The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 28 September 2020, 02:42 AM   #31
MikeHendrick1978
"TRF" Member

My Watch Journey

My watch journey.....

My first and second watch was something like a Cardinal watch if I was not mistaken....some time of digital watch....Had two of them as as a kid...they were reliable battery operated watches and I don't have them any more.

Then when I was around 10 my dad had McDonalds as a client for advertising and he got me a McHappy Day watch or something like that which was my first battery operated watch. It promoted McDonalds as he wore one and I wanted one.

Then one Christmas, my grandmother gave me my grandfather's Whittnaur watch which was 10k Gold when I was around 15 or 16 for Christmas which really upset me now as I can't find one like it I had it for about 7-8 years before it was stolen from a church office I was in around 2001 or 2002.

In that time I also had a timex which I gave away to someone, I also had this digital watch which I don't know what happened to it but probably gave it away. During this time I was introduced to E-Bay and bought a "Gucci" watch which was guaranteed to be authentic or my money back. It was a fake and I sent it back and the guy actually gave me my money back in around February or March of 2003.

Then I got my first luxury watch iin August 2003. I got a real Gucci watch in Bridgeend South Wales at Goldsmiths Jewellers. I owned that for two years. It was model Gucci 600J on bracelet. I had seen it locally in Canada before I bought it there. It was $2000 in Canada but there only the equivalent of $750. I owned that for two years....and then felt to give that watch to a minister. I don't know what he did with the watch.

Then in 2005 right after I gave the minister the Gucci, I bought a Rolex Sub no date, model 14060M in Canada at my AD. Loved that watch but again my generous heart was moved to give the watch to a minister I met in November 2006. He ended up selling the watch as he needed the money for a car. His wife had an operation and needed a newer car so they sold their car and the watch and it helped fund their car purchase. The man always told me afterwards how he thanked the Good Lord for my obedience which enabled him to get a good car for him and his wife.

I didn't own any watches from 2006 till just a few weeks ago but I gave my dad a Timex as he was never a big watch guy for Christmas one year, and helped my mom pick out a nice Oris for him one Christmas but he never wears it either..Then for my own minister that has known me since I was 14, I gave him a ESQ watch for his 60th birthday...which he loved. Meanwhile I had a friend one time tell me he wanted to give me an Omega watch back in 2017 but when we were in the town we were in together, he couldn't find am AD that sold them. So never got one. Then finally three weeks ago, after ordering it in January, I got a Tudor Black Bay 36mm on Bracelet for myself. Exactly 15 years to the week when I got my last watch. And this one I am not planning to give away unless I have a child one day or the good Lord tells me to gift it.
MikeHendrick1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 02:30 AM   #32
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968scode View Post
It’s a mystery to me as well! I’ll take a closer look once I dig it out of storage (that pic is about six months old). The watch still works!
"SPOILER ALERT!!"

I expect the 'tennis ball' is printed on a thin disc of clear material, keyed to the second hand 'drive spindle'.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 01:02 PM   #33
80cert
Banned

I always had a watch, I was wearing a casio watch on my picture as a toddler.
80cert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 03:31 PM   #34
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Yes I do. It was a Bradley brand “Goofy” Disney watch, manual wind. I got it in preschool in around 1972. There are a couple of them for sale online for approximately $150.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 03:58 PM   #35
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I had a few watches when I was younger but I still have the Roamer Mustang my late mum and dad gave me for my 21st in 1969.

So happens I gave it a wind and set it last weekend.

It has never been opened and still runs.

Give me a few minutes and I’ll put it on the Timegrapher.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 151D30CA-E37F-4B80-B630-54B238A1F414.jpeg (199.1 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpeg CB477BD8-994D-4A18-8E74-CB7B2D856101.jpeg (70.2 KB, 88 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 08:17 PM   #36
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
I had a few watches when I was younger but I still have the Roamer Mustang my late mum and dad gave me for my 21st in 1969.

So happens I gave it a wind and set it last weekend.

It has never been opened and still runs.

Give me a few minutes and I’ll put it on the Timegrapher.
This watch is a treasure and priceless Eddie
Old 22 November 2020, 01:17 AM   #37
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613

Found two more while cleaning out my things from my parents attic. Put a battery in the swatch and it started right up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 05:14 PM   #38
TDOR
Banned

Mine was a Casio watch when I was six, I lost it a week after while playing at a birthday party in our neighbor's house, I cried so uncontrollably for hours and it got replaced with two watches, one from my dad and the other from my neighbor.
TDOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2020, 07:51 PM   #39
nda
"TRF" Member

I don't have my first watch - a Timex digital. Needed to press a button to have the red LED's light up. Faux gold with an expanding strap. Pretty sure I gave it to a friend.

First 'proper' watch was an Ebel (steel, steel bracelet, 'wave' design, champagne dial). It was stolen in burglary along with an empty Breguet box - the Breguet being on my wrist at the time fortunately. Miss the Ebel - it was a nice thing.
nda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2020, 11:47 PM   #40
Big Jay
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 14060M
Ironically enough, I am on a search for my first watch. My real first watch was an orange "diver" my grandmother bought me from Shop Rite when I was like 5. That unfortunately, is lost. My REAL first watch was a Casio FT-100w Fish N' Time. I had it up until 5 years ago. It was dead. I replaced the battery, didn't work. Into the garbage it went, with the thought of "Oh I'll just find one on eBay!" Big mistake.

Wouldn't you know it these things appreciated Rolex style? They retailed for $50 new and now they go for $300-$400 in good shape on eBay? Money really isn't the issue. I just can't seem to find one in good enough shape to warrant buying.

Big Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2021, 12:50 PM   #41
Bladeshot

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
What was your first watch and do you still have it?

It died, so I don’t have it. It was identical to this Star Wars piece. Circa 1977. Closely followed by the Casio calculator watch, around 1981-2. Those Casio were only really available in Japan at that point and a Navy pilot friend of the family brought one back and gifted it to me. Instructions all in Japanese. Similarly, I believe that one died. But as I go through my childhood possessions, I may uncover it in the coming years. So many across the years.

After Christmas each year, I always enjoyed hitting department stores, looking for the on-sale watches. Usually bought one of some type. Not expensive ones. Just loved watches back then; and now.

Old 7 February 2021, 12:51 PM   #42
Bladeshot

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post

Found two more while cleaning out my things from my parents attic. Put a battery in the swatch and it started right up!

Nice!!
Old 7 February 2021, 12:57 PM   #43
aekdb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor
Old school Casio calculator
aekdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2021, 04:16 PM   #44
lhendrickson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1972 ref. 1601
My first watch was a mail order plastic toucan watch when I was maybe two (or three?). The next watch that I remember having is a Timex Indiglo from my aunt however I began to wear watches in earnest when I was about seven with my Fossil watch with a blue dial (I think it's somewhere at my folks' house to this day). Been hooked ever since!
lhendrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2021, 01:59 PM   #45
cronos
"TRF" Member

My 1st watch was one of these but I don't have it anymore.

cronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2021, 10:14 AM   #46
slawa
"TRF" Member

1982 Casio lithium still works , needs new battery .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tn_20210213_173025.jpg (69.7 KB, 28 views)
slawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2021, 09:45 AM   #47
emersm

Watch: Rolex

My first watch. The one that started it all.

emersm is offline   Reply With Quote