The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 September 2020, 07:10 AM   #31
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
There have been motorcycle threads here in the past, but I don’t recall a pure Ducati thread. I know there are many Ducati fans here, so it would be fun to see your bikes and shiny bits. This is my 1999 ST2, a sport-tourer with a 944 engine. I sold it after my head injury, and I’ve regretted it every single day.

I'm actually surprised, being an ex-ER physician you would ride a motorcycle. Not judging, just surprised.
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 09:09 AM   #32
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
I'm actually surprised, being an ex-ER physician you would ride a motorcycle. Not judging, just surprised.
I admit that riding motorcycles is uncommon for ED docs. I’ve owned nine motorcycles over the years. I retired from riding after shattering my shoulder in a skiing accident, but in the last 12 years of my riding career, I rode 160,000 miles around North America, from California to Prince Edward Island, from Texas to Jasper, Alberta, Canada. If there is a good road in NA, I probably rode it.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 12:24 PM   #33
imjunho
"TRF" Member

I don't post much but I had to contribute.  I really don't ride much anymore and as people have been stating here I probably should give it up as the safety risks are starting to outweigh the benefits.  

But man, on an empty stretch of road on a cold winter morning, this machine still takes my breath away. These pics were taken in January, one of the benefits of living in Texas.

Ironically, I'm also an ER doc as well and I trained at a level I trauma center in NY so I've seen my share of motorcycle accidents.  No excuses but I grew up on motorcycles.  My dad used to ride his Honda CB500 to work everyday growing up in Houston. He instilled moto safety at a very young age.

Anyways, gratuitous photos of my Ducati Sport Classic 1000. 
I do most of the basic maintenance myself, oil change, brake fluid change and chain maintenance. More therapeutic than anything working on something this mechanical.  

Cool things about this bike..  Asymmetrical swingarm (not a single like the race bikes but still uber cool) which allows a shock on one side and exhaust on one side only and a dry clutch.  Also only year of the monoposto. Only made this specific model for one year in 2006.   Air cooled L twin engine, man the torque is amazing! 
Dry clutch has a characteristic clutch rattle.  love it.   Like a jangly 5 digit sub.. haha..  

I don't ride it much. In fact I just rolled over 10k (bought it with 2.5k) and am now getting worried because it needs a valve job soon and the last independent Ducati shop closed down recently. 

I still keep it for the rare Sunday morning ride when nobody is out.  Can't beat that analog feeling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200121_101411.jpg (286.6 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg 20200121_101204.jpg (145.6 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg 20200121_095630.jpg (218.8 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg 20200121_095650.jpg (114.5 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg 20200121_101715.jpg (249.9 KB, 176 views)
imjunho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 02:04 AM   #34
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Tron Legacy is one of my fav films, and I think this is when I started googling bikes.

Those sport classics are worth quite a bit of money, hardly ever come for sale in the UK.

Prefer it with the original wing mirrors, look so cool.

The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 03:14 AM   #35
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I admit that riding motorcycles is uncommon for ED docs. I’ve owned nine motorcycles over the years. I retired from riding after shattering my shoulder in a skiing accident, but in the last 12 years of my riding career, I rode 160,000 miles around North America, from California to Prince Edward Island, from Texas to Jasper, Alberta, Canada. If there is a good road in NA, I probably rode it.
At some point, statistically speaking, your luck will run out. And when it does, the results could be really bad as you know. I stopped riding on the street and told myself the track was safer, which it is. But it is still extremely dangerous and sold the track bike too. Ill stick with cars.

That sport classic is awesome. Have a buddy with one here, looks just like it.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 03:31 AM   #36
Dilemma
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
At some point, statistically speaking, your luck will run out. And when it does, the results could be really bad as you know.
This is of course a ridiculous assumption. Question for you; Do you subscribe to the notion that if you drive long enough *eventually* you'll get in an auto accident?

I'm not saying motorcycles are not dangerous, of course they are. But let me add some perspective for you. I know a gentleman who choked to death on a tortilla chip.

Preserving my life at all costs isn't part of my psychological make-up. This isn't to say I'm carless but the risk involved with riding is dwarfed by the reward. It has been this way since I was a teen. I'm 58 now and will ride until I am physically unable to do so.

The 916 is considered by many to be the most beautiful bike ever produced. You could probably argue this to be true all the way through the 998. The 999? Not so much.
Dilemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 04:16 AM   #37
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilemma View Post
This is of course a ridiculous assumption. Question for you; Do you subscribe to the notion that if you drive long enough *eventually* you'll get in an auto accident?

I'm not saying motorcycles are not dangerous, of course they are. But let me add some perspective for you. I know a gentleman who choked to death on a tortilla chip.

Preserving my life at all costs isn't part of my psychological make-up. This isn't to say I'm carless but the risk involved with riding is dwarfed by the reward. It has been this way since I was a teen. I'm 58 now and will ride until I am physically unable to do so.

The 916 is considered by many to be the most beautiful bike ever produced. You could probably argue this to be true all the way through the 998. The 999? Not so much.
Yes, I do believe that at some point in time, you will get into an auto accident. How many people in the world have never been in one? And, in a car, you are most of the time going to be OK. On a motorcycle, the obvious lack of protection exposes you to much more injury.

I am not saying one should preserve life at all costs, I race cars. I am saying one must take calculated risks and in my experience on motorcycles, the risk is not worth the reward. One bad decision by someone else could end your life, or paralyze you, lose a limb, etc. Can this happen in a car? Sure, but the chances are MUCH smaller of that happening and again, many times a situation which was not even the riders fault. I think if one has to ride motorcycles, the track is the only place I would recommend doing so, it is at least a controlled environment and eliminates some variables.
Old 24 September 2020, 04:20 AM   #38
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
At some point, statistically speaking, your luck will run out. And when it does, the results could be really bad as you know.
I did see many serious cycle accidents and fatalities over the years. It was a risk I was willing to take for the enjoyment riding gave me. Until I was no longer willing, at which point I quit riding and bought a Subaru WRX for the same price as my Harley. Toward the end of my riding days, my greatest fear was not a deer running across my path but a driver texting and drifting into my lane. It happened frequently.

The strangest cycle accident I saw was a guy who was struck on the head by lightning while riding down a highway. He crashed into the median, which was soft due to rain and standing water. He had exit burns on his thighs, and for two days in the hospital, he didn't know if he was a human or a turnip due to the electrical charge through his head. Eventually, he recovered completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilemma View Post
The 916 is considered by many to be the most beautiful bike ever produced.
I agree. I looked online at prices of the 916 bikes for sale and was amazed at how much they bring now.
Old 24 September 2020, 04:28 AM   #39
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I did see many serious cycle accidents and fatalities over the years. It was a risk I was willing to take for the enjoyment riding gave me. Until I was no longer willing, at which point I quit riding and bought a Subaru WRX for the same price as my Harley. Toward the end of my riding days, my greatest fear was not a deer running across my path but a driver texting and drifting into my lane. It happened frequently.

The strangest cycle accident I saw was a guy who was struck on the helmet by lightning while riding down a highway. He crashed into the median, which was soft due to rain and standing water. He had exit burns on his feet, and for two days in the hospital, he didn't know if he was a human or a turnip due to the electrical charge through his head. Eventually, he recovered completely.
Yes. A guy here in my area was riding on his Harley down a 2 lane (each direction) 55 mph road. Woman was on her phone, ran stop light crossing the intersection and he had nowhere to go. He died. I hear these stories a lot and just pushed me to sell the S4RS. I kept tracking the 899 but in my 3 years tracking, I saw more red flags and medi-vac flights than I had seen in over 20 years of auto racing. I have a young family and I could not imagine being seriously injured or worse and not being able to do what I do with my two young boys.
Old 24 September 2020, 04:32 AM   #40
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

I presented the lightning case at an emergency medicine conference. Of the hundreds of ER docs in the audience, only three of us rode motorcycles, whereas about 8% of the general population does. Here is the PowerPoint presentation if you are interested.

A 33 Year-Old Motorcyclist Hit By Lightning
Old 24 September 2020, 05:04 AM   #41
Dilemma
"TRF" Member

Full disclosure: I did wreck many years ago. I spent three months in the hospital as a result and came *This close* to losing my leg. The accident was entirely my fault BTW. At no point in time did I consider this motorcycle thing wasn’t perhaps for me. (Much to the chagrin of my mother) The risk vs reward equation right?

Struck by lightning? Good grief! That’s one I’ve never heard of.
Old 24 September 2020, 06:24 AM   #42
stratguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
When I was a kid, my father spent a year in the hospital after a a major accident riding a police motorcycle. My best friend died on a ride that I was supposed to be on 19 years ago. I rode my bikes (Ducati and BMW) a couple of times after that and then sold them. Haven't been on one since. Sometimes I miss it, but for me, it wasn't worth it.
stratguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 06:49 AM   #43
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I don’t ride, but if I did it’d definitely be a Ducati

Beautiful bike Joey, hope you land another one if you want to go that route
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 07:43 AM   #44
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I presented the lightning case at an emergency medicine conference. Of the hundreds of ER docs in the audience, only three of us rode motorcycles, whereas about 8% of the general population does. Here is the PowerPoint presentation if you are interested.

A 33 Year-Old Motorcyclist Hit By Lightning
Phew! That was a hard read. But I'd say he got lucky.

I rode almost every day of my life, from a Lambretta TV175 in the 60's passed my test on a GT250, bought a Z1 and every desirable 'big bike' then on 'till about 5 years ago. I had a few minor spills, and consider myself really lucky to have survived some of the stupid behaviour of me and my pals on the roads around Surrey in the 80's. I'm in my 70's now, I found some days I just didn't enjoy it anymore, so I gave it up...before it gave me up.

Oh yeah, Ducatis, had a few. The first was a Darmah, 750 I think. It was ok, until there was the slightest hint of rain in the air, then the 'lectrics let go.
My 916 that was mounted over the fireplace went with the rest of my bikes as part of the divorce settlement. She was beautiful to look at, wonderful to ride. So was the Ducati.
Speedbird-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 12:24 PM   #45
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
My 916 that was mounted over the fireplace went with the rest of my bikes as part of the divorce settlement.
Were you on Grand Designs about 10 years ago?
Old 24 September 2020, 09:31 PM   #46
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Were you on Grand Designs about 10 years ago?
Nope, that weren't me.

I had mine subtlety lit by an artist friend who tried to persuade me to let her
paint it 'a la Jackson Pollock's : 'The Fury'!
It was a very close run thing, I very nearly gave in. Well, she did have a beautiful pair of fun bags!

Desperately tried to find any photo's that might have survived the carnage in my life at that time.
They were all on film so probably lost forever.
Did I mention the RC30 in the snooker room? She wasn't a huge fan of that, either.
Old 24 September 2020, 09:58 PM   #47
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjunho View Post
I don't post much but I had to contribute.  I really don't ride much anymore and as people have been stating here I probably should give it up as the safety risks are starting to outweigh the benefits.  

But man, on an empty stretch of road on a cold winter morning, this machine still takes my breath away. These pics were taken in January, one of the benefits of living in Texas.

Ironically, I'm also an ER doc as well and I trained at a level I trauma center in NY so I've seen my share of motorcycle accidents.  No excuses but I grew up on motorcycles.  My dad used to ride his Honda CB500 to work everyday growing up in Houston. He instilled moto safety at a very young age.

Anyways, gratuitous photos of my Ducati Sport Classic 1000. 
I do most of the basic maintenance myself, oil change, brake fluid change and chain maintenance. More therapeutic than anything working on something this mechanical.  

Cool things about this bike..  Asymmetrical swingarm (not a single like the race bikes but still uber cool) which allows a shock on one side and exhaust on one side only and a dry clutch.  Also only year of the monoposto. Only made this specific model for one year in 2006.   Air cooled L twin engine, man the torque is amazing! 
Dry clutch has a characteristic clutch rattle.  love it.   Like a jangly 5 digit sub.. haha..  

I don't ride it much. In fact I just rolled over 10k (bought it with 2.5k) and am now getting worried because it needs a valve job soon and the last independent Ducati shop closed down recently. 

I still keep it for the rare Sunday morning ride when nobody is out.  Can't beat that analog feeling.
That is a very nice looking 'bike!
Don't sell it or, like Joey, you'll end up pining for it forever!
Do you have an understanding wife?.....you could drain it, clean it and mount it, over the fireplace.
Old 24 September 2020, 10:31 PM   #48
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That is a very nice looking 'bike!
Don't sell it or, like Joey, you'll end up pining for it forever!
Do you have an understanding wife?.....you could drain it, clean it and mount it, over the fireplace.
That Sport Classic is gorgeous! I agree with Speedbird-1. I immediately sold my ST2 after my head injury, but soon felt regrets that have never gone away. Keep it and ride it, even if it’s only once in a while. I’ve looked for the bike many times online. I find a lot of my photos of it on various bike sites, as it was probably the best example of the ST2 out there after I finished adding carbon fiber and billet bits.
Old 25 September 2020, 12:20 AM   #49
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That Sport Classic is gorgeous! I agree with Speedbird-1. I immediately sold my ST2 after my head injury, but soon felt regrets that have never gone away. Keep it and ride it, even if it’s only once in a while. I’ve looked for the bike many times online. I find a lot of my photos of it on various bike sites, as it was probably the best example of the ST2 out there after I finished adding carbon fiber and billet bits.
Just had a quick look on sites here in England Joey.
There are quite a few ST2's on sale. Don't know what the shipping costs might be, but it seems like a helluva nice 'bike for 3 to 5 ŁK. It wouldn't be your 'beloved', but hey, I'm sure you'd become attached in no time.
Are there many low mileage examples around in the USA?

I long for my old '75 Z1 Kawasaki that I bought from new, so I know the feeling.
Good ones are fetching 20 to 30 ŁK these days. Yikes!!
Old 25 September 2020, 12:37 AM   #50
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just had a quick look on sites here in England Joey.
There are quite a few ST2's on sale. Don't know what the shipping costs might be, but it seems like a helluva nice 'bike for 3 to 5 ŁK. It wouldn't be your 'beloved', but hey, I'm sure you'd become attached in no time.
Are there many low mileage examples around in the USA?

I long for my old '75 Z1 Kawasaki that I bought from new, so I know the feeling.
Good ones are fetching 20 to 30 ŁK these days. Yikes!!
There are several nice looking ST models for sale online, the 2, 3 and 4. The prices are very reasonable. I had mine absolutely perfect, but I’m sure I could do it again. I’m not normally a fan of yellow bikes, but this one looks pretty nice. 19K miles. $3,895.

Old 25 September 2020, 01:05 AM   #51
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There are several nice looking ST models for sale online, the 2, 3 and 4. The prices are very reasonable. I had mine absolutely perfect, but I’m sure I could do it again. I’m not normally a fan of yellow bikes, but this one looks pretty nice. 19K miles. $3,895.

Yes, the yellow is a bit 'shouty', but that would be very easily remedied. Does it come with the panniers?
It would be a really nice 'project' getting it stripped down resprayed and stickered (sorry, decaled) up. Your photo's show your ST2 looking like a deep metallic red.
Was that a standard colour? Very nice though.
That lower pipe on the yellow job looks like it seen a bit of road salt?
Go for it Joey, cant you smell that PlusGas, WD40 and Swarfega already?
Can't wait to see photo's of your smiling face, when you first throw your leg over it!!
Good luck.
If your wife asks,....I had absolutely nothing to do with it!
Old 25 September 2020, 02:05 AM   #52
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, the yellow is a bit 'shouty', but that would be very easily remedied. Does it come with the panniers?
It would be a really nice 'project' getting it stripped down resprayed and stickered (sorry, decaled) up. Your photo's show your ST2 looking like a deep metallic red.
Was that a standard colour? Very nice though.
That lower pipe on the yellow job looks like it seen a bit of road salt?
Go for it Joey, cant you smell that PlusGas, WD40 and Swarfega already?
Can't wait to see photo's of your smiling face, when you first throw your leg over it!!
Good luck.
If your wife asks,....I had absolutely nothing to do with it!
You're an enabler! If I do buy another ST, it will be red. I still have all the tools for routine maintenance, since a mechanic who worked on Ducs is a long way from here.
Old 25 September 2020, 02:51 AM   #53
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You're an enabler! If I do buy another ST, it will be red. I still have all the tools for routine maintenance, since a mechanic who worked on Ducs is a long way from here.
Hahaha! Joey, Joey, Joey, I don't know if you've noticed, but this whole site is about enabling and encouraging members to spend their hard earned..... on watches, wallets, luggage (hi Paul)
cameras, pushbikes, hi-fi etc, etc etc..
So,what's the odd Duke, amongst friends?

Anyway, you've got the tools, so its done. Go and get yourself a nice shiny red Ducati!
I'm so excited for you, and look forward to seeing those pix. That red will look lovely against a snowy backdrop!

I don't think anyone ever had on their headstone, "I wish I'd never had SO many beautiful Ducatis".

Take care my friend.
Old 28 September 2020, 03:18 AM   #54
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Joey, I know you've had a few motorcycles and a few styles of them including HD cruisers, and I'm wondering what about the Ducati was so appealing.

My journey was Honda Benly 150, Honda 175, BSA 650, Triumph Speedmaster 865 and Triumph Thunderbird 1600. The first 3 were basic standard postition, and the last 2 are cruiser positions. I've never ridden a sport bike position.

I drove a BMW 1600 in Hawaii a few years ago which is standard position again, and it felt a bit odd but a very nice bike. My absolute favorite is my current Thunderbird which is like butta to ride and handle but I don't do any touring over about 60 miles at a time on wine country backroads so long haul riding on a cruiser may not be optimal.

Can you explain your favorites and what about the Ducati was so special to you.
Old 28 September 2020, 04:44 AM   #55
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Joey, I know you've had a few motorcycles and a few styles of them including HD cruisers, and I'm wondering what about the Ducati was so appealing.... Can you explain your favorites and what about the Ducati was so special to you.
The riding position of the Ducati ST2 was a nice compromise between a touring bike and a pure sport bike. For me, it was still not comfortable enough to ride more than a couple hundred miles in a day. I liked the V-Twin configuration and loved the sound of the open clutch. There were a ton of custom carbon fiber and billet bits and accessories for it also.

I liked my HD 883 Sportster for tooling around town. It had the best sound of any Harley I owned. I hated the V-Rod. It had a great motor, but the riding position was terribly uncomfortable. My Triumph 900 Legend was a great bike. Comfortable, quick and great motor.

I toured over 100,000 miles in North America on my HD Ultra Classic and then my HD TriGlide. My spouse loved the TriGlide. She felt very stable on it. Lots of storage space. And it went 110 mph on a flat road.

I still have a 49cc Honda Metropolitan scooter with 3,000 miles on it for buzzing around.
Old 28 September 2020, 07:29 AM   #56
Harmon Rabb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Do any of you own a 916? I think it's the coolest Ducati ever built. I'd love to have one.
No 916, but a 748R from 2002. Picture from today after a ride. Also own an Monster S4RS like the one posted previously by another member.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 410CBA16-9E88-4D37-815B-06834BCD2E76.jpeg (86.9 KB, 106 views)
Harmon Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 09:41 AM   #57
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon Rabb View Post
No 916, but a 748R from 2002. Picture from today after a ride. Also own an Monster S4RS like the one posted previously by another member.
Beautiful motorcycle!
Old 28 September 2020, 10:20 AM   #58
Dilemma
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I toured over 100,000 miles in North America on my HD Ultra Classic
Hard to beat the Baggers. I've got a Limited and you can really pound out the miles on those things.
Old 1 October 2020, 09:36 PM   #59
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
916SP3 and 851 factory kit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4C1F6033-1898-487D-96AF-D65B9953BDBD.jpeg (139.6 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpeg ED53AD98-86D2-411B-BAFE-5A5C988C900F.jpeg (131.0 KB, 70 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2020, 07:02 AM   #60
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Picked this up at the start of lockdown for the London commute. Not been on a bike for 7 years
Ok so that was fun whilst it lasted. Reading your crash stories above I was like, not me, I'm extremely alert on the road, not gonna do anything stupid. Well let me tell you, those London drivers are crazy, someone coming opposite just turned and wham, I went straight into the side.

RIP Ducati
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200822_135025 (2).jpg (160.4 KB, 52 views)
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote