The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 25 September 2020, 07:45 AM   #1
Ubiquitous1984
"TRF" Member

My first Patek - 5146R

Today has been a good day - I picked up my first ever Patek!

Fair play to WoS group. I have always been a Rolex person and their group has always been my AD of choice. During the lockdown they arranged a Patek Zoom call for their “Valued Rolex customers” (presumably because their bottom line was suffering due to no Chinese or Middle Eastern tourists buying their inventory) to talk through the history or the Patek brand, as well as a journey through the various collections.

The call was superb and it certainly made me a lot more informed about the brand than I previously was. I was particularly impressed by the hand finished nature of the watches, as well as their relative scarcity.

A few weeks later along I went to WoS in Manchester. I had never been in there before as I always deal with Mapping and Webb, as they sell Rolex.

I was made to feel very welcome and was given great service and advice by Michael. I should note that I showed up very casually dressed, but regardless was treated with respect from the off. I read many posts on here about people being nervous showing up to AD’s, but there is no reason to be fearful - these people love watches and are experienced in dealing with all different types of customer.

After a couple more visits I finally decided on the 5146R, having initially leaned towards the 5196R. The extra complication is what swung it for me, along with the deployment clasp. It is also the first luxury watch I have owned with a leather strap (its taking some getting used to!)

I picked the watch up today along with my 3 year old boy and 9 month old girl. I wanted my son to be there as one day I hope to pass this watch on to him (my girl will have to inherit the inevitable Patek for mummy later down the road). The service was impeccable and I was delighted to receive a lovely Patek wallet as a freebie.

So nothing especially exciting for anyone else in the world, but for me today was a special day and I wanted to make this post for posterity. Call me gauche but I now want to get my hands on a 5712/1A and 5168G - I’ll then have a very nice collection until I can hopefully one day afford one of the Grand Complications.

Have a good day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0464A637-26DB-4CAF-92BE-CA941C99CCB1.jpeg (130.6 KB, 866 views)
Ubiquitous1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 07:48 AM   #2
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

That's a great story -- congrats, and enjoy the Patek!
Mbbgysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 07:55 AM   #3
VK1984
"TRF" Member

Stunning watch and awesome that your boy was there with you. Perfect!
VK1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 08:28 AM   #4
liborguy
"TRF" Member

Congrats !
liborguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 08:48 AM   #5
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
That’s fantastic - congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25 September 2020, 09:00 AM   #6
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
Congratulations! Nice pick up, a timeless and classic beauty offering a very useful complication.
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 09:03 AM   #7
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Awesome read. Beautiful watch. I appreciate you sharing it. Congrats!!!

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 09:32 AM   #8
m3tek44
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: this
congrats with great story!
m3tek44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 09:46 AM   #9
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Congrats! It is a beautiful AC, wear this in good health!
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 09:48 AM   #10
Kilometerman
"TRF" Member

Great stuff. Enjoy the moment and the beautiful watch.
Kilometerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 10:30 AM   #11
DukeDevil
"TRF" Member

I remember that day vividly. I still find myself staring at my watch for long stretches in disbelief that I finally got my first Patek. Congrats and enjoy the pride of ownership.
DukeDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 11:40 AM   #12
thanyasr
"TRF" Member

Congratulation. Very nice story
thanyasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 01:11 PM   #13
Sinanamus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
My favorite Patek and one hell of a story. Thanks for sharing that. I have two kids at the same age. Enjoy the time, it does seem to fly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Sinanamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 01:14 PM   #14
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Many congratulations on obtaining one of the timeless classics. I had one but unfortunately had to let it go for another piece.

I have only had negative experiences with WoS in Manchester

I spoke to their Patek ambassador some time ago (if I recall correctly she was called Janet) to register my interest for an Aquanaut. I was told to purchase a Hublot so she could consider registering my interest. I asked whether I would get both at the same time and she said no so I didn't buy anything from them. She said she would not "give me" any Pateks until I purchase a Hublot and other brands from them. I felt like talking to their "Hublot" ambassador instead of their Patek ambassador. I reported this to Patek.

Several years ago WoS was the largest Patek Philippe stockist in the UK and now they only have 3 stores.
jamestucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 01:50 PM   #15
rfs
"TRF" Member

Congratulations!
rfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 03:03 PM   #16
Andygmt2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestucker View Post
Many congratulations on obtaining one of the timeless classics. I had one but unfortunately had to let it go for another piece.

I have only had negative experiences with WoS in Manchester

I spoke to their Patek ambassador some time ago (if I recall correctly she was called Janet) to register my interest for an Aquanaut. I was told to purchase a Hublot so she could consider registering my interest. I asked whether I would get both at the same time and she said no so I didn't buy anything from them. She said she would not "give me" any Pateks until I purchase a Hublot and other brands from them. I felt like talking to their "Hublot" ambassador instead of their Patek ambassador. I reported this to Patek.

Several years ago WoS was the largest Patek Philippe stockist in the UK and now they only have 3 stores.
Tbf this doesn’t surprise me, as this is the approach and selling practice to most customers. You have to purchase at least 1 ‘core’ model before any ‘register of interest’ in the aquanaut/nautilus range. Last year it was 2 core models though now with next to no tourists to sell to, the strategy is that you now have a ‘higher chance’ of obtaining those popular models simply by only purchasing one. No doubt they still look at your purchase history/spend etc.

As a VIP I’ve been on these zoom calls, very insightful and informative but also looking to sell core and only take names if you spend ‘x’.
Andygmt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 03:12 PM   #17
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Very nice choice and congratulations!

I would straight skip the Naut/Aqua and go straight for a grand complication.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 03:17 PM   #18
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andygmt2 View Post
Tbf this doesn’t surprise me, as this is the approach and selling practice to most customers. You have to purchase at least 1 ‘core’ model before any ‘register of interest’ in the aquanaut/nautilus range. Last year it was 2 core models though now with next to no tourists to sell to, the strategy is that you now have a ‘higher chance’ of obtaining those popular models simply by only purchasing one. No doubt they still look at your purchase history/spend etc.

As a VIP I’ve been on these zoom calls, very insightful and informative but also looking to sell core and only take names if you spend ‘x’.
What is their definition of a "core" model?
jamestucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 04:52 PM   #19
ap190482
"TRF" Member

Well said man, its looks the part on your wrist. I love the rose, enjoy it. Welcome to the club!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ap190482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 06:08 PM   #20
Victorx88x
"TRF" Member

Congrats!
Victorx88x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 06:22 PM   #21
Librandox
Banned

This is stunning. Enjoy
Librandox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 06:29 PM   #22
Subterranean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1989 16610 Sub
Beautiful watch.congratulations.love the way Patek Philippe spaces their dials regarding markers indices etc ..the proportions are perfect .
Subterranean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 03:59 AM   #23
Ubiquitous1984
"TRF" Member

Thank you everybody for the kinds comments! Can I just ask whether is it normal for the clasp to leave my wrists sore, or should I be wearing it looser? I'm not used to leather straps so I am hesitant to wear them 'loose', but I might be being overly cautious!
Old 26 September 2020, 04:10 AM   #24
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Great story, thank you for sharing with the community. I hope to one day bring my future son or daughter.
LJubel328 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 07:29 AM   #25
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous1984 View Post
Thank you everybody for the kinds comments! Can I just ask whether is it normal for the clasp to leave my wrists sore, or should I be wearing it looser? I'm not used to leather straps so I am hesitant to wear them 'loose', but I might be being overly cautious!
I am note entirely sure about the PP clasp you have, but to avoid getting sore I have found that with many single fold clasps I need to wear them with 12-o'clock and 6-o'clock ends of the clasp reversed vs. what seems to be standard. I.e. with the folding "blade" pointing away from (instead of towards) you like it typically does on a Rolex bracelet. Might be worth having your AD help you give this configuration a try (or just try to wear the watch upside down to test).

Could of course also just be that you are wearing the strap too tightly.
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 11:28 AM   #26
spoon-turbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
Congrats on your first Patek. The 5146 was also my first Patek. I had the J version in slate dial.

If the strap feels to tight or too loose (with no middle ground), try switching the strap in 6 and 12o clock position. If this doesn’t work, maybe you need to have a middle hole or a new strap size.

My ideal strap hole intervals should be 2mm to 3mm apart only. Otherwise, the usual 5mm interval is sometimes hit or miss.

Hope this helps.
spoon-turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 04:59 AM   #27
Ubiquitous1984
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am almost embarrassed to ask but I’m going to anyway: how do I change the deployment clasp sizing? I can see some very small holes on the clasp, do I need to push these in to make the adjustment? The watch is still very new to me so I’m fearful to be rough with it in case I damage something (no doubt three months from now I’ll be tossing it on the table after a day at work, just like my other watches!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E021DFAD-314E-4B23-8B71-CEF0A6020750.jpeg (26.4 KB, 458 views)
Old 27 September 2020, 06:48 AM   #28
artschool
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous1984 View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone. I am almost embarrassed to ask but I’m going to anyway: how do I change the deployment clasp sizing? I can see some very small holes on the clasp, do I need to push these in to make the adjustment? The watch is still very new to me so I’m fearful to be rough with it in case I damage something (no doubt three months from now I’ll be tossing it on the table after a day at work, just like my other watches!)
you just pop out the pin thats through the leather strap and move it to the size you want.

also congrats! I got my first Patek this month as well
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 08:06 AM   #29
dejj
"TRF" Member

Maybe I’m being a bit naive and ignorant here but doesn’t the 5146 come with a normal tang type buckle. How was you able to get this on the deployment or is that how it comes now. Thanks in advance
dejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 08:22 AM   #30
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Congrats
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote