The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 28 September 2020, 03:42 PM   #1
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

Do you remember when you wanted what you now have?

I do and I am very grateful (beyond just watches). I hope everyone has a great week ahead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Apheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 03:57 PM   #2
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I remember when I never even wanted anything, because I assumed I'd never have anything.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 03:05 AM   #3
330ci
"TRF" Member

I just built my dream bike from when I was growing up. Cost around $2,500 buying a bunch of 20 y/o rare used parts but I just got the frame in the other day, just ordered the shock yesterday and have been running the rest of the parts on my old frame for the past few months and it’s been extremely rewarding 15years late and that’s without the new frame and shock. I haven’t weighed anything yet but it’s going to be extremely light

Dream cars have been hit or miss.

It’s generally the things that add to experiences that I find most worthwhile. When I used to collect a lot of things it rarely brought me the satisfaction I sought
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 03:26 AM   #4
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
I just built my dream bike from when I was growing up. Cost around $2,500 buying a bunch of 20 y/o rare used parts but I just got the frame in the other day, just ordered the shock yesterday and have been running the rest of the parts on my old frame for the past few months and it’s been extremely rewarding 15years late and that’s without the new frame and shock. I haven’t weighed anything yet but it’s going to be extremely light

Dream cars have been hit or miss.

It’s generally the things that add to experiences that I find most worthwhile. When I used to collect a lot of things it rarely brought me the satisfaction I sought
Bike.....cycle?
Old 29 September 2020, 05:31 AM   #5
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
Yes owning the Nikon D5 in plural and waiting to add the new D6 and with that already several months old, whats next inline..?
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 06:34 AM   #6
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I remember when I never even wanted anything, because I assumed I'd never have anything.
Same.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 06:47 AM   #7
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Bike.....cycle?
haha Yes a bicycle, everything's custom/aftermarket down to individual titanium bolts. Still have to find the exact frame I wanted, but I have a Dean Colonel frame to use until I can find the moots one I really want. it's functional art imo.

I have a 2006 BMW k1200s, but I never ride it. I should've bought the Ducati 999 I wanted which was my dream bike. but I was on a BMW kick at the time, and loved all the fancy BS tech they had on the bike.

I actually traded my first motorcycle for a Rolex. I was 18 and my parents found out I bought a CBR900, they told me to get rid of it or move out. put it on CL and someone offered me a Rolex for it and the rest is history. still have the watch, can't imagine that bike is still on the road lol
Old 29 September 2020, 07:35 AM   #8
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
haha Yes a bicycle, everything's custom/aftermarket down to individual titanium bolts. Still have to find the exact frame I wanted, but I have a Dean Colonel frame to use until I can find the moots one I really want. it's functional art imo.

I have a 2006 BMW k1200s, but I never ride it. I should've bought the Ducati 999 I wanted which was my dream bike. but I was on a BMW kick at the time, and loved all the fancy BS tech they had on the bike.

I actually traded my first motorcycle for a Rolex. I was 18 and my parents found out I bought a CBR900, they told me to get rid of it or move out. put it on CL and someone offered me a Rolex for it and the rest is history. still have the watch, can't imagine that bike is still on the road lol
Along the lines of my first response and yours; way back in the early early 90s, when I first started racing mountain bikes, I absolutely loved the Paramount PDG 30. I never even had any aspirations of owning one, because a $700 bicycle was not even a sane thought coming from someone of my background. Not a chance, never gonna happen. Fast forward a dozen years, and I’m a professional mountain biker. At that point, I don’t even pay for bikes anymore. One day I was in a shop where a friend was working and I’ll be damned if they don’t have an almost mint PDG 30 (all original save a replacement tire on the rear, the front is original and understandably all dried and cracked) on consignment. Owner wants $200. I wanted it something awful....but I had garage full of modern bikes, and quite frankly not $200 to spend on nostalgia. About a week later, I’m at the shop again, giving away some random swag to the guys in the shop that my sponsors had given me. When my visit is finished, I head towards the door, and the guys tell me that I’ve forgotten my bike. I told them that I’d love to buy it, but it just didn’t make sense for me right now. The guys told me that they had all chipped in and the deal was done so I had to take it. Hate to bore you with such a long story....but I have what I thought I never would.
Old 29 September 2020, 07:37 AM   #9
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What size frame do you ride? Btw, a pre-Trek Bontrager would be a nice frame to get hold of.
Old 29 September 2020, 10:43 AM   #10
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Yes. I remember every day of it. And I never want to forget being in that position, keeps me grounded with what I have now and reminds me to keep dreaming.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 11:17 AM   #11
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What size frame do you ride? Btw, a pre-Trek Bontrager would be a nice frame to get hold of.
I ride Medium frames, which get snapped up really quick for anything decent. the past few 26" YBB frames that have come up went for $1000-1200 and the hardtails have been around $900 and I figured I'd find one cheaper, but none have shown up in a few months and I got the Dean frame for about half that and as far as I can tell, it's the same tubing as the Moots, Same dropouts, but the head angle sucks on it.

I've been riding a Trek 820 and Specialized rockhopper for ages, Really don't need a full suspension bike on the trails in my area either. So I just built a lightweight single speed hardtail to go and have fun until I fly out to Colorado or Oregon and snag something a few years old out there since prices here are ridiculous.

I have a Klein Quantum pre Trek, lol they must've bought out everyone in the 90's and destroyed their branding.
Old 29 September 2020, 11:30 AM   #12
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I ride Medium frames, which get snapped up really quick for anything decent. the past few 26" YBB frames that have come up went for $1000-1200 and the hardtails have been around $900 and I figured I'd find one cheaper, but none have shown up in a few months and I got the Dean frame for about half that and as far as I can tell, it's the same tubing as the Moots, Same dropouts, but the head angle sucks on it.

I've been riding a Trek 820 and Specialized rockhopper for ages, Really don't need a full suspension bike on the trails in my area either. So I just built a lightweight single speed hardtail to go and have fun until I fly out to Colorado or Oregon and snag something a few years old out there since prices here are ridiculous.

I have a Klein Quantum pre Trek, lol they must've bought out everyone in the 90's and destroyed their branding.
Well crikey, my neighbor has an old YBB but, unfortunately, she loves it so much she wont ever part with it. She just upgrades everything in it every 3-4 years. I can understand it though. I will probably be buried with my Eriksen.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 11:32 AM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Yes I do, but the goal posts keep changing
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 11:39 AM   #14
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Along the lines of my first response and yours; way back in the early early 90s, when I first started racing mountain bikes, I absolutely loved the Paramount PDG 30. I never even had any aspirations of owning one, because a $700 bicycle was not even a sane thought coming from someone of my background. Not a chance, never gonna happen. Fast forward a dozen years, and I’m a professional mountain biker. At that point, I don’t even pay for bikes anymore. One day I was in a shop where a friend was working and I’ll be damned if they don’t have an almost mint PDG 30 (all original save a replacement tire on the rear, the front is original and understandably all dried and cracked) on consignment. Owner wants $200. I wanted it something awful....but I had garage full of modern bikes, and quite frankly not $200 to spend on nostalgia. About a week later, I’m at the shop again, giving away some random swag to the guys in the shop that my sponsors had given me. When my visit is finished, I head towards the door, and the guys tell me that I’ve forgotten my bike. I told them that I’d love to buy it, but it just didn’t make sense for me right now. The guys told me that they had all chipped in and the deal was done so I had to take it. Hate to bore you with such a long story....but I have what I thought I never would.
Not a boring story at all! when I was a kid I found a black and pink haro with with pink plastic rims in the garbage as well as a Racing mongoose from the early 80's. I thought the haro was super cool, but I got made fun of for the pink rims, so I sold the Haro and kept the mongoose. I got something like $500 for the mongoose when I finally sold it years later, and I believe I got $150 for the Haro on ebay when I was a kid. I think that Haro would cost me every bit of $2k to get back today, and it might even be $3-4k as i've never seen was as retro as this thing since lol it was all original in great shape. pink logo, pink grips, pink rims. everything else was black.

I would love to own one of Robin Williams bikes as well, he had quite the collection before he passed.used bikes definitely carry a similar aura to used watches to me. If only they could talk!
Old 29 September 2020, 11:48 AM   #15
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Well crikey, my neighbor has an old YBB but, unfortunately, she loves it so much she wont ever part with it. She just upgrades everything in it every 3-4 years. I can understand it though. I will probably be buried with my Eriksen.
They're kind of like the Rolex of the bike world. They really haven't changed much in the past 20-25 years. you have to be on a waitlist to get most anything from them. People are selling stuff on the grey market for over MSRP lol. I can't blame her for holding onto it, I hope I'm not holding too high of expectations for it though. I really can't imagine it being too much better than the Dean other than the name.
Old 29 September 2020, 12:10 PM   #16
martinr
"TRF" Member

I remember and wanting it was better than having it. And now when I really want something like a watch I don’t get it and pretty soon I don’t want it anymore.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 01:09 PM   #17
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Yes I do, but the goal posts keep changing

Old 29 September 2020, 01:11 PM   #18
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Yes, I never forget, and am thankful every day. Not about wanting and having, but just having what I have now.

Have a great week.
Old 29 September 2020, 01:21 PM   #19
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
Yes, I never forget, and am thankful every day. Not about wanting and having, but just having what I have now.

Have a great week.

"He chose to be rich by making his wants few," -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 30 September 2020, 12:58 AM   #20
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Yes... yet the problem is back then i had an abundance of time to practice and play.
Today, not so much :(

She's still a beauty in and of herself. How does she sound? Incredible, just as i dreamed it could be! Still waiting on a few bits tho, custom ordering takes upwards of a year to create these musical instruments.

(Said like Jeremy Clarkson)
This is the best 'amusemment park ride'... in the world.

Sonor_December_2019_Drummer_View.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 01:33 AM   #21
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

As far as watches go, I remember when I wanted them all.....like at a Victoria Secret runway show.

(The models, not the lingerie you pervert.)

But then somewhere along the line reality hit, recessions hit, tastes changed and my wife hit, sometimes kinda hard.

So my choices and expectations changed. But I'm happy......... No really.

Except I wish I had a DeBethune and a Freak and maybe a Vianney Halter.....

But I'm happy......no really....
Old 30 September 2020, 01:38 AM   #22
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Crazy how things change as life progresses -
Old 30 September 2020, 06:27 AM   #23
meloncap78
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV C
Yes. I remember wanting key items in my life. Now that I have acquired them they are starting to become less important. In fact most “things” don’t seem to interest me anymore. I used to obsess over this or that almost needing it to occupy myself. Don’t know what changed but now I obsess over the move to the Adirondacks that the wife and I have planned. I just want the mountains accessible to me to get lost in.
meloncap78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 06:38 AM   #24
-dustin

Quote:
I would love to own one of Robin Williams bikes as well, he had quite the collection before he passed.used bikes definitely carry a similar aura to used watches to me. If only they could talk!
were you around when his collection was auctioned off?
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 06:39 AM   #25
-dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Yes... yet the problem is back then i had an abundance of time to practice and play.
Today, not so much :(

She's still a beauty in and of herself. How does she sound? Incredible, just as i dreamed it could be! Still waiting on a few bits tho, custom ordering takes upwards of a year to create these musical instruments.

(Said like Jeremy Clarkson)
This is the best 'amusemment park ride'... in the world.
woah. any vids of you playing?
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 06:44 AM   #26
JParm

Watch: Yes!
I am incredibly thankful for what I have today - I always tell my wife that if you would have told me at age 20 that this is where I would be, I would have ran for the hills screaming at the charmed life that I'd be leading.

To be able to work from home, spend as much time as possible with my wife and 2 boys and travel the world - man, I couldn't ask for more. The watches? You can have them, I'll take everything else I've got.
Old 30 September 2020, 06:47 AM   #27
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
I am incredibly thankful for what I have today - I always tell my wife that if you would have told me at age 20 that this is where I would be, I would have ran for the hills screaming at the charmed life that I'd be leading.

To be able to work from home, spend as much time as possible with my wife and 2 boys and travel the world - man, I couldn't ask for more. The watches? You can have them, I'll take everything else I've got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Apheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 06:50 AM   #28
Cazador60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 5513
Yes I do and I thank my Maker for his blessings.
Cazador60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 06:54 AM   #29
RJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Steven - that drum kit makes me want to play La Villa Strangiato...or YYZ. So excellent.
RJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 08:06 AM   #30
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
woah. any vids of you playing?
Alan, not yet. Mic'ing may be... challenging... plus am doing this for personal fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJG View Post
Steven - that drum kit makes me want to play La Villa Strangiato...or YYZ. So excellent.
Good call, though trust me here, Xanadu is... more :)

Bruford, Bozzio, Greb....

This is audio from Rush's newly remastered album, the real vintage Peart percussionist imho, with full respect to LVS and YYZ.

PS: While listening to Xanadu.... rear percussion bits.

80360290_588560718611488_5127410555866316800_n.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote