The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 29 August 2018, 05:52 PM   #211
Rwchisholm
Banned

I have and enjoy both but due to recent Rolex acquisitions my omegas are gonna go. It’s a sacrifice but it’s good to suffer a little for something you really want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rwchisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2018, 09:39 AM   #212
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeal View Post
My friend asked me this question.
I have been looking to get an Omega Aqua Terra Blue dial, but another watch keeps coming in the way. I am very biased towards the color Blue. I love any blue dial watch, but unfortunately not a fan of two tone, so the sub doesn't do it. The WG sub is just too expensive.

Fast forward after Basel and now the new 39mm OP blue dial has my vote.
I don't know if the green markings are amazing, but I know I love a blue dial.

Anyway so I did not know what to tell my friend when he asked me why I would get an Omega if I could afford a Rolex.. Lol
Not talking about Sea masters, etc. just the classic Aqua Terra VS the DJ or OP.

The only Rolex advantage is resell.

Otherwise, they are entirely equals.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2018, 12:52 PM   #213
DonBateman
Banned

Watch: I like watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post
The only Rolex advantage is resell.

Otherwise, they are entirely equals.
Amen
DonBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2018, 03:11 PM   #214
hhwc
Banned

Just get what you want. If you don't really like it, you won't wear it so what's the point?
hhwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2018, 06:25 AM   #215
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad072 View Post
Why? Because the 2254.50 was a sexy watch the first time I laid my eyes on it and still makes me smile 7 years later.

Ultra awesome cool.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2018, 09:37 AM   #216
UnicoJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Always!
You should definitely purchase the watch/brand you want. I’ve purchased 2 Omegas and parted ways with both. I have also purchased 2 Rolex watches and still have both.
UnicoJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2018, 08:17 PM   #217
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
This thread is from 2015. It's a recurring topic, I'm sure, but I doubt the OP is tracking this because he is still pondering the question.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 09:32 AM   #218
alphasports
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Money has nothing to do with it. There is no wrong answer between the two brands. Both are fine watches and I own both and love them equally. These days if I were buying a watch I probably am more in tune with what Omega is doing. Once again, money has nothing to do with it.
I'm with you bro, except perhaps for the part about "money has nothing to do with it". A huge proportion of Rolex owners buy them just because they cost 2x a comparable Omega, and naively assume the watch must be "2x better". Delusional. I own both, prefer Omega.
alphasports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 09:40 PM   #219
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Absolutely.

Rolex is not my favorite brand. I came from a family and extended family that have been Omega fans for half a century. That doesn't mean that I don't love some of their models. The Sub will always be an icon that every watch lover should have at some point.

They may not see it this way, but Rolex is a victim of their own success. When you are as popular as they are, people are willing to buy their watches simply because of that brand power. As with any popular mass produced item.

Living in NYC, you see a Sub somewhat regularly. It's the default luxury watch that everyone buys when they have the means. I don't know if it's a person that actually cares about watches or someone that just wears it as a status symbol. Like you said, when I see someone wearing an Omega, a JLC, or any other brand that is less well known, I'm more likely to assume that they care about watches. They may not, but they bought a different watch when they could most likely afford a Rolex.

There are many true watch lovers on this forum, but there are also plenty of people that dismiss all other brands. When you see someone doing that, it's clear they care more about the name on their wrist than what's inside.

There was a thread a few days ago by someone who had what seemed like a scratch on their datejust dial. Most people agreed that it should be replaced because it didn't seem normal, but it didn't take long for a comment like this to show up:

When I see comments like this, the thought always crosses my mind, "typical Rolex owner". Obviously that's not true of everyone who wears a Rolex, but we see these attitudes almost every day on this forum. A person is seeing a Rolex that has some kind issue and they immediately bring other brands into a situation that has nothing to do with them.
Well said

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2018, 12:43 AM   #220
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Why get an Omega if you can Afford a Rolex..

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasports View Post
I'm with you bro, except perhaps for the part about "money has nothing to do with it". A huge proportion of Rolex owners buy them just because they cost 2x a comparable Omega, and naively assume the watch must be "2x better". Delusional. I own both, prefer Omega.

And the Patek people look at Rolex like they are wearing a Seiko. It’s all relative if money is the measuring stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2018, 01:24 AM   #221
David5807
"TRF" Member

Buy what you love at the end of the day but I will say that Rolex has more brand recognition which may or may not matter to you.
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2018, 01:49 AM   #222
typical
"TRF" Member

Rolex and Omega are just different brands. I respect and would definitely wear both watches but prefer the Omega brand.
Whatever it is that surrounds the Rolex brand is a bit of a turn-off for me. It’s like Porsche owners are seen as a little douchy? It has nothing to do with the car itself, it’s the people that buy it to make a statement without having any idea what they are driving.
typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2018, 11:40 AM   #223
Watchmutt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Because thats the wrong reason to buy a watch.
Watchmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 05:26 AM   #224
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
I'm sure the OP has decided by now. But for those of us still thinking about it, a person might get the Aqua Terra because it is available in a size (38mm) that that the Datejusts are not.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 05:46 AM   #225
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

It's like asking: "Why buy a BMW when you can afford a Mercedes?"

It's because I like the BMW better.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 05:55 AM   #226
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subprimero View Post
I'm sure the OP has decided by now. But for those of us still thinking about it, a person might get the Aqua Terra because it is available in a size (38mm) that that the Datejusts are not.
Just because they say it's a 36mm doesn't mean it wears like a 36mm (because of the dial, the colour, ...). People get too caught up with numbers.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 11:18 AM   #227
Yandhi
Banned

Watch: Omega Moonwatch
Makes a great watch for a two piece omega x rolex collection
Yandhi is offline   Reply With Quote