The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 April 2018, 09:12 PM   #1
spacejam
"TRF" Member

Rolex YM 16622 owners! Help needed

Dear All,

Is this model rather unloved? On paper, it's suppose to be a upgraded submariner, also price is higher between the 2 in retail. There is a total different story in 2nd hand market though....

I'm considering a sub but not gg to break the bank to get one....

Any YM owners here to share a few wrist on experience? Still enjoying the watch? Does it get bored after a while, since it's like stone cold icy white...

What was the retail price for 16622 previously by the way?

For the rest of us, will you consider getting one? Believe the stock for this model is enough to meet the demand as compared to sub....

Thanks....

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk
spacejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 09:19 PM   #2
stockjock1975
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona
I personally own the 116622 with blue dial and couldn't be more pleased with it. I love Rolex as a brand, but felt several of their pieces were just too common in the wild. Submariners and DJ just seem to be everywhere and I wanted a piece on my wrist that I was unlikely to see on anyone else. For me, the Yacht-Master fit that bill.

It offers the perfect balance of sportiness and elegance. Refinement and class. Simply stated, an all-purpose watch that has that special flair to make it really interesting. Of course, to each their own. But the YM is a great watch and I can't see growing tired of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 09:54 PM   #3
Brew
"TRF" Member

I love my 116622!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 10:10 PM   #4
TacticaLCawacoL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sunray/Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockjock1975 View Post
I personally own the 116622 with blue dial and couldn't be more pleased with it. I love Rolex as a brand, but felt several of their pieces were just too common in the wild. Submariners and DJ just seem to be everywhere and I wanted a piece on my wrist that I was unlikely to see on anyone else. For me, the Yacht-Master fit that bill.

It offers the perfect balance of sportiness and elegance. Refinement and class. Simply stated, an all-purpose watch that has that special flair to make it really interesting. Of course, to each their own. But the YM is a great watch and I can't see growing tired of it.

This...

I have to agree at 128%. I don’t know for the 16622 but i own the 116622 and IMHO the YM is truly an underrated watch. I see many Sub out there, but in the past 4 years i saw only 2 YM... One in NY and an other in Paris.

I think indeed it is an enhanced Sub. I find it more comfortable than a Sub because of its flatter caseback and its weight balance. It stays straight on the wrist. Plus it has an incredible blue sunburst dial. Can’t wait to see that kind of blue dial with white font on a SS or white PM Sub with the 3235 caliber. I will buy it as soon as possible.

So far the 116622 is my favorite Rolex.

16600/2005, 116233/2008, 214270/2014, 116234/2016, 116618LB/2017, 116200/2017, 118239/2017, 116622/2018, 326.30.40.50.02.001/2018.
TacticaLCawacoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 10:13 PM   #5
Jerodp716
"TRF" Member

I just picked mine up yesterday but I love it. The weight, lines and fit are perfect for me. An added bonus is you just don’t see them “in the wild” very often.

Jerodp716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 10:37 PM   #6
spacejam
"TRF" Member

Yes nice watches.... But 116622 prices are so much higher than 16622.....

16622 owners any comments?

Old 22 April 2018, 10:38 PM   #7
spacejam
"TRF" Member

Bezel scratch easily?

Old 22 April 2018, 10:39 PM   #8
oroloi
"TRF" Member

Watch: YachtMaster 116621

I purchased the Yachtmaster 116621 With the Black Dial 2 days ago and loving everything about it. I also hope not many people will recognize my Yachtmaster as much as the common Submariner.

The Yachtmaster has the same Vital Organ (movement) as the Submariner with a slightly different Body, some Precious Metal, Same Box, Warranty Card, 5 year Warranty, AD experience, Rolex History etc

I enjoy reading threads about every Rolex out there and happy to see so many happy Rolex owners even though they don’t talk much about My Yachtmaster

This is my First post and glad the Underrated Yachtmaster is my First Rolex
oroloi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 10:46 PM   #9
Masteryacht
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16622,BLNR,116500
Circa 2006, I had a sub and got bored with it because it is the most common sports model. I didn’t care for the font on the gmt bezels so that was out. I tried for a Daytona, but couldn’t get one so that left the 16622. So I sold the sub and got the ym. The bad thing is that since I got the 116500, the ym sits and doesn’t get worn. I doubt I will sell it, but I am considering gifting it to a family member that has been very kind to me.
Masteryacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 10:47 PM   #10
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
I have had my YM for about 6 yrs and the bezel remains clean. It is a beautiful watch, can dress up or down and now have different dials. I love mine and may add the rhodium dial.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 10:49 PM   #11
spacejam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteryacht View Post
Circa 2006, I had a sub and got bored with it because it is the most common sports model. I didn’t care for the font on the gmt bezels so that was out. I tried for a Daytona, but couldn’t get one so that left the 16622. So I sold the sub and got the ym. The bad thing is that since I got the 116500, the ym sits and doesn’t get worn. I doubt I will sell it, but I am considering gifting it to a family member that has been very kind to me.
Understand.... YM is not gg to overtake Daytona....

How much u got ur YM bro? In terms of usd

Old 22 April 2018, 10:49 PM   #12
spacejam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddodoc View Post
I have had my YM for about 6 yrs and the bezel remains clean. It is a beautiful watch, can dress up or down and now have different dials. I love mine and may add the rhodium dial.
What was the retail price bro

Old 22 April 2018, 10:52 PM   #13
spacejam
"TRF" Member

Seems like 16622 is not going to win much votes....

But I seems to be draw to the watch for some reasons.... Not sure if it will last....

Old 23 April 2018, 01:33 AM   #14
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I like the older 16622 and happily own one.
The most comfortable Rolex case shape, the more coarse sparkling dial on the older ones and protruding end links are all features which I prefer on the 5 digit.

Monochrome look with the Pt dial is a Rolex signature imho and it looks amazing, especially in bright sun light.
Legibility is OK.

The bezel doesn't scratch that easily as some people claim. Mine is without real noticeable scratches and if it happens can be easily refurbished.

Bracelet is all solid and with the PCL's it has a luxury feel.

I fitted a roulette date wheel for fun and an modern DJ clasp. Personally I am not a fan of the 5 digit clasps.

With these small modifications it is a perfect watch.

On the pre-owned market this reference can be bought real cheap. Not much interest for it, so don't expect to flip it easy.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0040.JPG (243.9 KB, 1170 views)
File Type: jpg L1000323.jpg (140.9 KB, 1167 views)
Old 23 April 2018, 02:34 AM   #15
BentleyReese
"TRF" Member

Watch: YachtMaster 116622
the YM is entirely under-rated. It is not prevalent in the marketplace and that is why I like it. It spurs on conversation. Very nice watch.
BentleyReese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 06:55 AM   #16
hardbodykarate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
The most comfortable Rolex case shape, the more coarse sparkling dial on the older ones and protruding end links are all features which I prefer on the 5 digit.

Monochrome look with the Pt dial is a Rolex signature imho and it looks amazing, especially in bright sun light.
Legibility is OK.

The bezel doesn't scratch that easily as some people claim. Mine is without real noticeable scratches and if it happens can be easily refurbished.

I fitted a roulette date wheel for fun and an modern DJ clasp. Personally I am not a fan of the 5 digit clasps.

On the pre-owned market this reference can be bought real cheap. Not much interest for it, so don't expect to flip it easy.

im currently in the market for one of these..love everything about it... im so bored of my submariner but dont sell my watches and my gold day date is too loud for everyday so i need something understated for everyday.. how "cheap" should i be trying to find one for? thank you in advance
hardbodykarate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 07:26 AM   #17
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post

Legibility is OK.

Looks terrific on jubilee. I will try to swap bracelets between my 116622 and 126710 BLRO if I ever get one.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 07:44 AM   #18
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardbodykarate View Post
im currently in the market for one of these..love everything about it... im so bored of my submariner but dont sell my watches and my gold day date is too loud for everyday so i need something understated for everyday.. how "cheap" should i be trying to find one for? thank you in advance
Preowned average prices according to Chrono24 (platinum dial):

ref 16622 around 6.2K EUR / 7.2K USD, MSRP was 8,845 EUR (spring 2012 before discontinued)

ref 116622 around 8.3K EUR / 9.7K USD, MSRP was 11,350 EUR (spring 2016 before discontinued)

It's worth noting the short production run of the 116622 platinum dial (4 years from 2012 to 2016).
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 08:21 AM   #19
Colin G
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 214270
I'd like a 116622 blue dial some day.
Colin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 06:32 PM   #20
shalako
"TRF" Member

I have a 16622 on a V serial that I’ve owned for quite a few years now, very cheap pre-owned yet a beautiful Rolex. It combines elegance and sporty better than any other model IMHO and I’ve always been surprised they are not more sought after. Rolex put Red writing on a Sea-Dweller and everyone went crazy for them yet the YM 16622 has always had Red writing for ‘Yacht-Master’ and no one cares.......
shalako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 11:30 PM   #21
mineral
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalako View Post
I have a 16622 on a V serial that I’ve owned for quite a few years now, very cheap pre-owned yet a beautiful Rolex. It combines elegance and sporty better than any other model IMHO and I’ve always been surprised they are not more sought after. Rolex put Red writing on a Sea-Dweller and everyone went crazy for them yet the YM 16622 has always had Red writing for ‘Yacht-Master’ and no one cares.......

I have the same 16622 platinum V serial with rehaut and I love it.

It is real beauty and need to see in person to truly appreciate it.

And I’m not fan of PCL bracelet at all on sport model but this YM changed my mind.

Old 4 June 2018, 01:09 AM   #22
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

The one I let get away. Horrible mistake. Never had a bezel scratch

Many more pics on photo bucket but I think they quit working
Old 4 June 2018, 01:27 AM   #23
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockjock1975 View Post

I have the PL dial and another with the Rhodium and couldn’t agree more with this comment. Years ago the PL dial was a hot watch and you’d see it quite a bit. Not so much any more. I love my two more now than ever, for all these reasons. There is something quite special about the YM combination of sport and elegance.
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2018, 01:49 AM   #24
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardbodykarate View Post
Start with DavidSW and other trusted sellers. They’re reliable indicators of resale value.
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2018, 02:23 PM   #25
BentleyReese
"TRF" Member

i just wish the 116622 came with a red date wheel like the newest versions of the TOGs. I think the 116622 aiwth the sunray blue dial and a red date wheel would be Awesome!!!
Old 4 June 2018, 02:24 PM   #26
BentleyReese
"TRF" Member

also...any one know if the 116263 or 116264 TOGs date wheel will fit the 116622?
Old 4 June 2018, 02:36 PM   #27
roklee
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex explorer ii
Don't change orig date wheel. Keep it all orig. Its a very fine watch and the very comfortable.
roklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2018, 12:53 PM   #28
tifamo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
I love my 116622

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
How long have you owned this YM for?
tifamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 10:17 PM   #29
Sakuru
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roklee View Post
Don't change orig date wheel. Keep it all orig.
Why? Individual owners should feel free to modify their watches however they see fit. You only live once, why be cowed by other people's tastes?

If someone believes a red or roulette date wheel is more attractive or fun than the basic black supplied by Rolex, I say go for it.
Sakuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2018, 01:30 AM   #30
rogerlu
"TRF" Member

I love my 16622! However, I did a few modifications to it.

rogerlu is offline   Reply With Quote