The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!! > eBay & Internet Sales WatchOut

Old 14 September 2018, 11:49 AM   #1
NKflyer
"TRF" Member

51 bids so far on this fake Tudor 7016 Submariner...

The seller is all but telling buyers that it's fake but people are still willing to take a chance, I guess. Please help report.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113233635022?

NKflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 11:57 AM   #2
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Watch is surely FRANKEN, and seller clearly states that he also started at .99 cents because he has no idea.
If people want to bid, I think its their call.
Dial may be original??

NOT reported - no deceit being done
Old 14 September 2018, 12:04 PM   #3
NKflyer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
Watch is surely FRANKEN, and seller clearly states that he also started at .99 cents because he has no idea.
If people want to bid, I think its their call.
Dial may be original??

NOT reported - no deceit being done
I sincerely hope that you're joking? Stevie Wonder could tell that this is a fake. The case is fake - the stamping is all wrong. The "swiss t<25" on the dial is wrong and looks like it was painted with a broom.
Old 14 September 2018, 12:06 PM   #4
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

FRANKEN is FAKE -
But this seller is NOT attempting to dupe anyone - he makes it crystal clear.

If people want to buy FRANKEN its their stupid decision

Personally, I dont report.
Others may
Adam
Old 14 September 2018, 10:45 PM   #5
Gtecko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKflyer View Post
. The "swiss t<25" on the dial is wrong and looks like it was painted with a broom.
haha yeah its pretty messed up ... there is so much junk on ebay tbh.
Gtecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2018, 11:07 PM   #6
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Seller says its a frankenwatch - don't see the issue here...
Old 15 September 2018, 02:08 AM   #7
NKflyer
"TRF" Member

When I think of a "frankenwatch", I think something like a Rolex 16610 sub that's been converted to two-tone (or vice-versa), possibly with aftermarket parts. Or the crop of 5-digit watches with ceramic bezels that we've been seeing lately are certainly frankenwatch.

But on this watch, the entire case, caseback, and bezel are fake. The dial might be a bad refinish on an original Tudor plate, but more likely the dial is just plain aftermarket like the rest. What parts actually came from the Tudor factory? None. The seller is instilling hope that there are some authentic bits on this watch but there aren't. Selling a replica is trademark/copyright infringement.

But so far I'm outnumbered 2-1 so I guess that shows what I know lol!
Old 15 September 2018, 03:14 AM   #8
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKflyer View Post
When I think of a "frankenwatch", I think something like a Rolex 16610 sub that's been converted to two-tone (or vice-versa), possibly with aftermarket parts. Or the crop of 5-digit watches with ceramic bezels that we've been seeing lately are certainly frankenwatch.

But on this watch, the entire case, caseback, and bezel are fake. The dial might be a bad refinish on an original Tudor plate, but more likely the dial is just plain aftermarket like the rest. What parts actually came from the Tudor factory? None. The seller is instilling hope that there are some authentic bits on this watch but there aren't. Selling a replica is trademark/copyright infringement.

But so far I'm outnumbered 2-1 so I guess that shows what I know lol!
Hi
What you describe is a MARRIAGE watch, a watch made up of all genuine parts from that manufacturer BUT different models.

A FRANKEN is a watch so made that was NEVER made by any manufacturer, like a converted pocket watch movement to a wristwatch
Regards
Old 15 September 2018, 03:25 AM   #9
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
If there is no intent to deceive, I let it ride.

It may be me who needs a movement or something that can only be found in a cobble job. Vintage parts aren’t getting easier to find so I’m not burning bridges.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 11:46 AM   #10
NKflyer
"TRF" Member

Wow, it just sold for $2300 + $30 shipping! I hope that is one great running ETA movement because everything else is total fake garbage. Apparently these fake cases or kits sold in pretty large numbers because they are all over the web. Serial numbers are all 737xxx. Here is a discussion from a few years ago on TRF picking apart an identical piece.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=283445
Old 18 September 2018, 01:31 PM   #11
cajunron
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Quote:
Hi
What you describe is a MARRIAGE watch, a watch made up of all genuine parts from that manufacturer BUT different models.

A FRANKEN is a watch so made that was NEVER made by any manufacturer, like a converted pocket watch movement to a wristwatch
Regards
Either your definition or my definition of 'franken' is skewed. I always thought the opposite about a 'franken'. I always thought a 'franken' was a watch made of original parts from several different models. (like Frankenstein) I've never heard the term "marriage watch" before. Anyone else have an opinion on this?
Old 18 September 2018, 02:00 PM   #12
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunron View Post
Either your definition or my definition of 'franken' is skewed. I always thought the opposite about a 'franken'. I always thought a 'franken' was a watch made of original parts from several different models. (like Frankenstein) I've never heard the term "marriage watch" before. Anyone else have an opinion on this?
I dont think so

Just read the book on FRANKENSTEIN - was he made of of body parts from same person or even same family??

Indeed he had a metal bolt in his neck!
Old 18 September 2018, 03:27 PM   #13
cajunron
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Quote:
I dont think so

Just read the book on FRANKENSTEIN - was he made of of body parts from same person or even same family??

Indeed he had a metal bolt in his neck!