The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 September 2018, 05:30 AM   #61
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenfried29 View Post
I think you're missing the point all together.
If something looks like something you wouldn't want on a watch, then that's the way you see it. People can argue that it isn't, and we all know that it isn't, but if that's the way it strikes you, it can be an issue.

I don't think anyone is saying that VC is celebrating Nazism, or that the design is an homage to a swastika. Some people are saying that it reminds them of a swastika and they don't want to look at their 5 digit watch, which almost always is bought partially because the design is appealing, and to be reminded of something evil.
Old 26 September 2018, 05:37 AM   #62
lenfried29
Banned

Watch: tick-tock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
If something looks like something you wouldn't want on a watch, then that's the way you see it. People can argue that it isn't, and we all know that it isn't, but if that's the way it strikes you, it can be an issue.

I don't think anyone is saying that VC is celebrating Nazism, or that the design is an homage to a swastika. Some people are saying that it reminds them of a swastika and they don't want to look at their 5 digit watch, which almost always is bought partially because the design is appealing, and to be reminded of something evil.
I express my opinion why I'll never own this watch. I never say that VC was involved in nazism or I ever mentioned nazism in my posts. I don't forth you to agree or disagree. You're pushing different agenda here.
lenfried29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2018, 05:39 AM   #63
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenfried29 View Post
I express my opinion why I'll never own this watch. I never say that VC was involved in nazism or I ever mentioned nazism in my posts. I don't forth you to agree or disagree. You're frothing different agenda here.
I don't know what you mean by "forth" or "frothing" but I am agreeing with you -- if something strikes you a particular way, it doesn't matter whether there was intent by the manufacturer or not.
Old 26 September 2018, 05:58 AM   #64
Eagle dunes 75
2024 Pledge Member

I have owned both the 3rd gen. VC overseas and the YM with blue dial. The VC is a very nice piece with better finishing than Rolex. 3rd Gen. Overseas had strap system with stainless bracelet, alligator, and rubber straps easily changed without a tool. VC is dressier even with rubber strap. YM is more casual and would be my choice between the two. I did not consider re-sale when buying VC but as mentioned above it does not hold its value like a Rolex.

Last edited by Eagle dunes 75; 26 September 2018 at 06:07 AM.. Reason: Delete attempts to post pics
Eagle dunes 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 06:50 PM   #65
Homo Sapien X
"TRF" Member

I don’t have a watch from the Trinity. VC blue 42042 is singing to me like Aretha Franklin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Homo Sapien X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 08:43 PM   #66
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post
Give this man a prize
I couldn't agree more!! As stated earlier, the iron cross was around long before the swastika, I'd dare to say most of the iron crosses you see on officers in WW2, were actually earned in WW1.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 09:17 PM   #67
k.c.taylor
"TRF" Member

both are amazing
but I find Rolex more reliable, just my opinion
k.c.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 09:58 PM   #68
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Forget horological reputation and following. It's all about getting the watch that does it for YOU
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 10:20 PM   #69
Sweetswisssteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126618LB
Rolex always wins.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Sweetswisssteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 01:06 AM   #70
Avs Fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
I never buy a watch as an investment, I buy and keep what I like but the resale value tells me a little about the reliability of a brand as well as consumers’ faith in it
Rolex beats most other brands when it comes to resale. That tells me a thing or two!
But........ Buy the watch that you like more!
Very insightful.. Resale is a reflection of confidence in the brand, which is based in part on reliability.
Avs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 01:27 AM   #71
SpunkyQ8
"TRF" Member

Watch: RM,AP,PP,RLX,PAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel_1 View Post
I am sticking to Rolex these days. They are so much more robust with their Ceramic bezels and a PM piece costs less than some “Higher Brands” SS.
Totally agree on this ^^
SpunkyQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 04:00 AM   #72
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Stick to Rolex.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 04:07 AM   #73
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Depends on what you want. Rolex=super nice daily watch. VC=something for special occasions. As other people have mentioned, these brands are in different leagues, trying to appeal to different market segments/needs. Would go for a VC if it were another piece in the collection.
Old 18 December 2018, 04:48 AM   #74
dubins930
2024 Pledge Member

The VC is on another level... the VC is a stainless steel watch... it will be as durable as other stainless steel watches... plus you get a movement that very few watch brands can compete with.
dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 05:00 AM   #75
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619
I was extremely close to buying the VC Chrono blue dial. I thought the watch was very beautiful and the blue dial is something to behold. I have a boutique very close to my house and the sales professional was very warm and patient. If I didn’t have the DSSD JC on order I believe I would have purchased the VC. For me, it always comes down to the robustness of the movement and let’s be honest. Whether you want to admit it or not, we all care about resale. The resale on the VC is nowhere near Rolex and I can sell my 126660 for more than I bought it for. Not many brands can boast that.

I still have the VC on the radar but at almost 30k for SS, you have to really buy into the horological aspect of the time piece. Very hard decision ahead of you. Good luck
jps3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 05:03 AM   #76
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubins930 View Post
The VC is on another level... the VC is a stainless steel watch... it will be as durable as other stainless steel watches... plus you get a movement that very few watch brands can compete with.
Yes, they put a lot of time and effort into polishing and finishing parts that only a watchmaker will ever see. It will not make the movement more reliable or accurate. Just more polished. There are plenty of options if that is what you really want.

The durability of a watch is normally determined by the durability of the movement. Saying that a watch will be as durable as other stainless steel watches is not saying anything. There are millions of cheap Chinese stainless steel watches that will not be very durable. As far a durability is concerned, Rolex appears to be at the top of the heap, not because the case is stainless steel, but because the movement is in fact built to last.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 05:06 AM   #77
ahlee00023
"TRF" Member

Out of the three, I prefer the 116655. Love the color combination and overall feel of the watch. The YM2 is too out there, screaming for attention. On the other hand, the VC Overseas seems to fly under the radar.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk