The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 28 February 2009, 12:49 AM   #1
Mike Lee
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Icon9 Rolex Submariner losing time

I purchased a Rolex Submariner new from an authorised dealer in Great Yarmouth last May.

The watch was losing approx 6 seconds a day and I returned it in June to be checked over and the shop corrected the timing so that it was gaining approx 2 seconds per day which I found ok.

Last week for some unknown reason the watch began spontaneously to lose 16 seconds per day and when I spoke to Rolex they asked me to send the watch back via the Dealer for examination.

As I am likely to be without the watch for some 2-3 weeks I am very surprised that a watch of this alleged quality should behave in this manner and I am obviously worried that it may re-occur.

Can anybody advise me why this would happen - is this common with Rolex and if it happens again within the warranty period should I ask for a new watch?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Mike Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2009, 01:21 AM   #2
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
Mike - 16 seconds a day is within COSC allowed variances, so it is OK. You have to remember that a mechanical watch will have gravity affecting it differently in different positions. I think what you're seeing ain't bad. Quartz will have the ultimate accuracy, but we don't want that, do we

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2009, 01:48 AM   #3
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Greg, the COSC stadards I've read state -4/+6 seconds per day? 16 seconds shouldn't be tolerated IMHO, I'd have the watch regulated at the very least and possibly serviced.

Mike, unfortunately these things happen, it is a machanical piece after all, however rest assured that once its fixed, it will be FIXED. Rolex has great technicians and they will correct the issue.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2009, 06:05 PM   #4
Mike Lee
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the info - My real worry was that the watch had been working perfectly since June and suddenly started to lose literally overnight.

The Dealer said "Rolex should never lose time, gaining only" .

Guess I'll wait and see.

Thanks again.

Incidentally, watonebad's photo is my very model.
Old 1 March 2009, 04:55 AM   #5
Mirx
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX
A consistent loss of 16 seconds a day is way out of the COSC and, therefore, unacceptable and cannot be justified.

On a positive note, I too had a very similar experience when my watch needed to be regulated twice by the RSC. After that it ran +2 sec. a day for years.

Have it regulated once again and hopefully that should be the end of it.

I would recommend sending it straight to the RSC (London or Bexley) to save time.
Mirx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2009, 05:10 AM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lee View Post
I purchased a Rolex Submariner new from an authorised dealer in Great Yarmouth last May.

The watch was losing approx 6 seconds a day and I returned it in June to be checked over and the shop corrected the timing so that it was gaining approx 2 seconds per day which I found ok.

Last week for some unknown reason the watch began spontaneously to lose 16 seconds per day and when I spoke to Rolex they asked me to send the watch back via the Dealer for examination.

As I am likely to be without the watch for some 2-3 weeks I am very surprised that a watch of this alleged quality should behave in this manner and I am obviously worried that it may re-occur.

Can anybody advise me why this would happen - is this common with Rolex and if it happens again within the warranty period should I ask for a new watch?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Well first its very unusual for any watch to suddenly start to loose that much time.Have you changed your wearing habits or even dropped your watch.Before you run off to get it regulated try giving your watch a full wind 40 crown turns.Then set watch with a reliable accurate time source wear as normal check time daily for a week with same time source average out the plus or minus over the week.If out of COSC spec then its time to have it checked or re-regulated.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2009, 06:59 AM   #7
bdub
"TRF" Member

If it hasn't been dropped or had a harsh hit, it could have become magnetized. Although not common, this has been known to happen. Most watchmakers can easily correct this problem.
bdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2009, 03:02 AM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
If it hasn't been dropped or had a harsh hit, it could have become magnetized. Although not common, this has been known to happen. Most watchmakers can easily correct this problem.
If any watch becomes temporally magnetised it would run very very erratic speed up by a lot more than a few seconds or come to a complete stop.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2009, 03:55 AM   #9
Mike Lee
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the replies.

No I haven't dropped or damaged the watch but I am interested in the 40 winds comment and would like to know how long a Rolex will run when it is not worn and any further advice greatly appreciated.

I supposed I could start a new thread if necessary.
Old 2 March 2009, 07:11 AM   #10
aelvin
"TRF" Member

-16 seconds definitely out of COSC tolerance. I will send it back and see what RSC says.
aelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2009, 07:21 AM   #11
bdub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
If any watch becomes temporally magnetised it would run very very erratic speed up by a lot more than a few seconds or come to a complete stop.
Good to know!
bdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2009, 10:45 AM   #12
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lee View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

No I haven't dropped or damaged the watch but I am interested in the 40 winds comment and would like to know how long a Rolex will run when it is not worn and any further advice greatly appreciated.

I supposed I could start a new thread if necessary.
A fully wound Rolex should run on the counter, untouched, for 40 to 50 hours....