The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 September 2022, 05:31 PM   #1
gregd2800
"TRF" Member

Buying Rolex With Just Warranty Card

I ran across an ad for an 2017 Rolex Explorer on WatchuSeek. It was being sold with just the warranty card, no boxes or manual. The seller was a well-established multi-generational jewelry store with over 200 google reviews.

Any thoughts or guidance about purchasing a rolex wth just the warranty card would be appreciated.
gregd2800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2022, 05:38 PM   #2
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Way better than naked or just a box. If you trust the seller, then go ahead.

Ideally, if a face to face could be arranged and a RSC was available in the area, I would book an appointment for a service quote (and foot the bill plus coffee).

As I fully understand the above may not be feasible, buy the seller as many here say
Old 24 September 2022, 07:00 PM   #3
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
That’s the only important ‘paperwork’ , box and manuals can be replaced always.
Warranty card is a one time issue only.
The validity of the warranty is irrelevant but having the original card is a must have for many people like myself.
Not only for collectability interesting but whenever you need to sell you’ll be glad you have it
Old 24 September 2022, 08:34 PM   #4
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118209
This is a well worn subject, but I’m in the camp (with a lot of other people—it’s probably a 50/50 thing) that the warranty card is totally valueless once the warranty period is over. (No different than any other consumer product. Would you pay more $ for a used radio because it came with an expired warranty paper?) All that matters is that it’s the watch you want, is legit, and is in a condition that satisfies you.

Of course some people disagree (as above), and will only buy with warranty. It does seem to be a moot point, since you’ll likely be able to recoup the premium you may pay for the expired card when you go to sell it.

To my mind, get the best watch you can for your price. Make sure it looks real (a warranty card has absolutely no bearing on this). And then get it serviced by RSC; that’s the best authentication (and “not stolen” check) you’re going to get, plus it will provide you with a brand new 2-year manufacturer’s “service warranty.” That peace of mind is worth way more to me than the $1k and 8 weeks it may cost—and far more than an expired card.

But this is one of those questions where there’s no right or wrong, just different opinions.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2022, 09:15 PM   #5
aniconic
"TRF" Member

2 Things

This is from the perspective of a person who buys watches to wear and enjoy, not put away somewhere or with the purpose of flipping.

First, you should have the same amount of trust in the seller regardless of whether there is accompanying paperwork/warranty card, etc. You should be evaluating the seller (e.g., reputation, knowledge of the particular kind of watch, etc.).

Second, the presence of paperwork is not useful for telling genuine from counterfeit. There are lots of valid reasons why a genuine watch has no papers. For example, when I cleared out my father's house, I found his watches but none of the papers. As another example, you can buy paperwork on various websites -- my favorite was a listing described as "full set" for a platinum day-date and included inner and outer boxes, tags, warranty card, sales receipt, just no watch! -- and then order a counterfeit watch to match the paperwork (the counterfeiter uses the serial number from the paperwork). As a third example, you can have genuine paperwork from when the watch was purchased/last serviced, but in the meantime, non-genuine parts have been added to the watch, the movement has been changed out, etc.

If you 100% trust the seller, buy the watch and it will be genuine. If you don't 100% trust the seller, don't buy the watch.
aniconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 12:01 AM   #6
77T

Buying Rolex With Just Warranty Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by minute_man View Post

Ideally, if a face to face could be arranged and a RSC was available in the area, I would book an appointment for a service quote (and foot the bill plus coffee).

I agree because even a very trusted seller can inadvertently buy a stolen watch.

But if the F2F @ RSC isn’t possible, then have the deal protected via an agreement of what happens after the sale when the buyer submits the watch to RSC and it is flagged.

That is when the trusted seller relationship matters most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 12:11 AM   #7
SudiYunus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier Panthere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
This is a well worn subject, but I’m in the camp (with a lot of other people—it’s probably a 50/50 thing) that the warranty card is totally valueless once the warranty period is over. (No different than any other consumer product. Would you pay more $ for a used radio because it came with an expired warranty paper?) All that matters is that it’s the watch you want, is legit, and is in a condition that satisfies you.

Of course some people disagree (as above), and will only buy with warranty. It does seem to be a moot point, since you’ll likely be able to recoup the premium you may pay for the expired card when you go to sell it.

To my mind, get the best watch you can for your price. Make sure it looks real (a warranty card has absolutely no bearing on this). And then get it serviced by RSC; that’s the best authentication (and “not stolen” check) you’re going to get, plus it will provide you with a brand new 2-year manufacturer’s “service warranty.” That peace of mind is worth way more to me than the $1k and 8 weeks it may cost—and far more than an expired card.

But this is one of those questions where there’s no right or wrong, just different opinions.

DJ 36 White Dial ,CasiOak
Sub ND
SudiYunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 12:53 AM   #8
Coronette
"TRF" Member

Warranty card IMO is the key document of importance.
Coronette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 01:28 AM   #9
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregd2800 View Post
. . .
Any thoughts or guidance about purchasing a rolex wth just the warranty card would be appreciated.
The majority of used watches do not come with cards or boxes and are sold by legitimate Dealers around the world.

Box and papers are big with flippers, Internet sales and those who have no plans to hold onto their watch or believe that they need to be ready to sell it at the drop of a hat.

For what purpose are you buying your watch? Is it the watch you want at the price you want to pay?
Old 25 September 2022, 01:40 AM   #10
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Buy it if the price accurately reflects condition and what comes with it; and you're good with the seller and price.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 01:45 AM   #11
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Everything else can be bought as needed later on except for the warranty card
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 02:02 AM   #12
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Why would the box matter? Do you wear the box?
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 02:14 AM   #13
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
This is a well worn subject, but I’m in the camp (with a lot of other people—it’s probably a 50/50 thing) that the warranty card is totally valueless once the warranty period is over.
The market proves your assumption is incorrect
Old 25 September 2022, 02:28 AM   #14
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko,Casio,Rolex
I not only keep my warranty card, but also my Mastercard statement showing the original purchase to corroborate my details and date on the warranty card, as well as all service invoices. Despite all that, when I tried to sell my sub several years ago, it still got rejected (on the grounds there was a dial scratch but I think they were suspicious). They was before the market went crazy so in hindsight I am glad they didn’t want it. So I took it to RSC for an overhaul instead (and there was no dial scratch) and enjoy having it now. RSC wasn’t interested in the warranty card either - when I took it in for service, the receptionist asked me how long I had the watch, I told them I am the original owner and showed them the warranty card with my details, but they said they go by the serial number when checking it on their system. But the RSC receptionist did advise keeping the card saying it would be useful should I ever choose to sell it.
Chuckwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 02:28 AM   #15
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Warranty card is the one item outside of the watch I never compromise on.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 03:06 AM   #16
"TRF" Member

Warranty card is the most important among box and papers. However, I don’t really understand why any of it should matter if you know the watch is authentic and not stolen.
1259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 03:28 AM   #17
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
-Market says expired warranty card has value on non-vintage high end watches
-Logic says this is silly
-Take your choice
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 03:35 AM   #18
snyde
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
-Market says expired warranty card has value on non-vintage high end watches
-Logic says this is silly
-Take your choice

“I let my friend wear brand new Rolex for 24 hours and I think they stretched the bracelet”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
snyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 03:40 AM   #19
gnardex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LN - 126600
For me the point is that if the watch has an (expired) warranty card,
probably it is not stolen.
Almost all the stolen watches do not have warranty.

If you buy a stolen watch (and you don't know is stolen)
and you bring to Rolex for service, they could withdraw it.
I doubt you can go into troubles, but for sure you should give
justifications why you have that watch etc etc.

Not a nice situation.
That's why I prefer watches with warranty (even is expired)
gnardex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 03:58 AM   #20
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

I wish Rolex ADs would sell things like that. Give me the watch in a nice pouch and the warranty card in a green wallet. The AD can keep the box, hang tags, etc.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 04:27 AM   #21
Baiv
Banned

Watch: SubLV
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan0704 View Post
Why would the box matter? Do you wear the box?
Exactly!
Baiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 04:38 AM   #22
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
The market proves your assumption is incorrect
Get what you mean; maybe my point didn’t come across. No doubt that many sellers do place a value on the card—I’m aware of that. My point is that a thing is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it, and for me personally (and a lot of other people) an expired warranty card that is far more easily counterfeited than a watch (so you can assume that someone producing a fake watch would have no trouble supplying a fake card as well) is not an item of any real value… again, to me.

You’re right that the market does reflect a premium for watches with cards—I, for one, though, wouldn’t pay it. But others feel differently and that’s cool.

It’s up to the buyer, really. I don’t think that a watch sans card is much more likely to be stolen or fake. Another way to put it, even if I bought a watch that had a card, I’d still be suspicious and would still send it to RSC. The presence of the card, logically, proves nothing.

The box is immensely important as it makes for fashionable headwear.
Old 25 September 2022, 04:41 AM   #23
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
I prefer a complete set. A friend not long ago purchased a 6451 Milguass that was a complete set. It was impressive to see that and without a doubt added to the purchase price.
Kinnakeet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 04:55 AM   #24
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

I suppose it’s down to whether you view the watch as an accessory or a collector’s item/investment. For me it’s the former.

Don’t get me wrong: I’ll hang on the card if I have it.
Old 25 September 2022, 05:28 AM   #25
Furzey
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43, BB Pro
Completely agree
Furzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 12:21 PM   #26
gregd2800
"TRF" Member

There was more to the situation I stumbled across. The dealer has 4 Rolex Explorers ( 2017, (2)2018,2019). All of them "only" had cards. I saw pics/videos of all the watches -- excellent condition. Prices slightly below current market. Dealer has 256 stellar reviews on Google but very little on Watch Sites/Forums. My primary concern is if I chose to re-sell it at some point as a private seller would it make it more diffucult because I only have warranty card? This would be on Chrono.
Old 25 September 2022, 12:22 PM   #27
gregd2800
"TRF" Member

Thank you for all the feedback.
Old 25 September 2022, 02:16 PM   #28
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There was more to the situation I stumbled across. The dealer has 4 Rolex Explorers ( 2017, (2)2018,2019). All of them "only" had cards. I saw pics/videos of all the watches -- excellent condition. Prices slightly below current market. Dealer has 256 stellar reviews on Google but very little on Watch Sites/Forums. My primary concern is if I chose to re-sell it at some point as a private seller would it make it more diffucult because I only have warranty card? This would be on Chrono.
It’s possible since the filter is original box and papers.
1259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 08:58 PM   #29
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This isn’t a question with an easy answer. Some people (like me) wouldn’t care that it comes with a card. Other people (as you’re seen) would, but wouldn’t care that it has no box. Still others would insist on both.

I guess the truth is, you’ll always have the best shot selling a preowned watch as a “full set” (with box and cards) for the simple reason that nobody *won’t* consider that. But if you try to get a premium for that, then the positive effect could be neutralized. (Like I said, I won’t pay for that once the card is expired, and the box is totally pointless.)

So there you have it. If I were you, I’d just get the watch you want and then, later, if you really want a box you can buy one. Nobody will know if it’s the original one. (And they don’t come from the factory in those boxes, fyi—the AD just has a stack of them and grabs whichever one they feel like grabbing, so “original box” is a silly notion anyway.) As for the card, if you end up with a watch without one, as I said, just pay for an RSC service and you’ll get a new card that actually means something and will add value to the watch if you sell it inside the new warranty period (and give you great piece of mind that the watch is authentic, not stolen, and functioning to spec).

Sounds like you have some concerns about this seller, though. I’d probably keep looking. Explorers from the 2010s were produced in the hundreds of thousands—don’t settle for a piece you have doubts about.
Old 25 September 2022, 09:40 PM   #30
Game Hunter
Banned

Boxes are easy to get. Are they making any accommodation for the lack of bits and pieces?
Game Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote