The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 September 2022, 09:27 AM   #1
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Embarrassing experience at Rolex boutique meatpacking NYC

Wen't to the Rolex/Tudor boutique in Meatpacking in NYC today to have a link added to my watch (I brought the link with me). I have a bit of a hand tremor so I don’t like to do my own links/adjustments. Anyway I go in and told the "greeter" that I wanted to add a link to my watch and she looked at me like I had 5 heads. She had no clue what I was talking about and if this is something the boutique even did! So she got her manager. The manager proceeded to tell me they don’t have a watchmaker on weekends and none of the sales associates could do it because I didn't have an appointment. This wasn't a situation where the stores won't let you in without an appointment either - I was fully free to enter and look around... What a joke! It takes approximately 1 minute to add the link. Between not knowing what adding a Link meant and not even offering to have an associate (let alone a watchmaker, but the weekend - fine) do the adjustment in between appointments is nuts

Went to watches of Switzerland in soho and was treated much better. Gladly added the link and asked if there was anything else they could help me with.
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2022, 09:35 AM   #2
dannyp
Banned

Just as well. More than one story here about noon-watchmaker causing serious damage when attempting to add or remove links.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2022, 10:03 AM   #3
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Nothing embarrassing about that - I'd find an independent watch tech. This doesn't need to be done at an AD.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2022, 10:10 AM   #4
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Nothing embarrassing about that - I'd find an independent watch tech. This doesn't need to be done at an AD.
Frankly I think that IS poor service. He went to "the" boutique at "that" location in one of the largest / best cities in the world and a pure Rolex boutique cannot perform a modicum of what you'd expect to be done?!?

I have been there a number of times and tbh I feel it's beyond poor. The greeters are just that. You may get a free Cappuccino out of it (yay) but even the sales staff has almost no idea of what the brand is, what history it represents etc.

I recently viewed a SkyD for the fun of it and the SA had no idea how to even adjust it and what the "red dot" signified... I mean come on, I know people are buying anything that hits the store but still... some training should be the minimum
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2022, 10:12 AM   #5
triple.lindy
2024 Pledge Member

I’m surprised to hear that. I’ve always had great experiences there since it opened. I stop in anytime I’m in town

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
triple.lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2022, 10:23 AM   #6
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

OP - I have had a bad experience with SAs trying to do bracelet adjustments, even a store mgr messed up a screw, so better you leave that up to watchmaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2022, 10:31 AM   #7
dmash
"TRF" Member

How is this embarrassing though?
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2022, 10:51 AM   #8
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
to be the newest Rolex only boutique in a major city and 1) not have a watchmaker available at all times (they have them at other locations in nyc) 2) not know what it meant to add a link and have to ask a manager if thats something the store does and 3) cannot take 1 minute to have an SA do it because no appointment, forgetting the possibility of doing it in between appointments or something
Old 19 September 2022, 10:52 AM   #9
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sure, it just happens to be this location is the closest place to me of any that should be able to add a link to an expensive watch.
Old 19 September 2022, 10:52 AM   #10
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
It's embarrassing for Rolex (or at least that particular AD) Part of the experience should be exceptional service for every customer who walks in.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2022, 11:03 AM   #11
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan0704 View Post
to be the newest Rolex only boutique in a major city and 1) not have a watchmaker available at all times (they have them at other locations in nyc) 2) not know what it meant to add a link and have to ask a manager if thats something the store does and 3) cannot take 1 minute to have an SA do it because no appointment, forgetting the possibility of doing it in between appointments or something
Ah, I misunderstood, I thought you meant embarrassing for you, not the brand itself.

Yeah, def agree on that aspect, but this has happened with a lot of business models post COVID. So much demand, they can have whatever customer service they want and the items will still sale. Nobody has to hustle anymore.
Old 19 September 2022, 11:06 AM   #12
Bmats
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

My AD always has watch technicians do the bracelet adjustments when I’ve gotten new pieces, and as much as I like the SAs I’m not sure I’d want them to be the one doing the adjustment. Nor do I think my SA would want to do it.

I do find it weird they had no one there to do the adjustment, though. I mean, what if someone bought a piece.
Bmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2022, 11:08 AM   #13
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmats View Post
My AD always has watch technicians do the bracelet adjustments when I’ve gotten new pieces, and as much as I like the SAs I’m not sure I’d want them to be the one doing the adjustment. Nor do I think my SA would want to do it.

I do find it weird they had no one there to do the adjustment, though. I mean, what if someone bought a piece.
I was so tempted to be like "well its not like you're selling anything to adjust anyway" but I held back lol
Old 19 September 2022, 11:32 AM   #14
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
I would rather come back later for the watchmaker to do the job, no need to be upset.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2022, 12:06 PM   #15
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

I wouldn’t sweat it. Greeters are just that — they aren’t trained for after sales service.

Fun fact since you mentioned WoS… when I picked up my Patek a few years ago they didn’t have a PP-trained technician on staff that day to size the bracelet, so they ended up sizing and shipping it to me the next day.. Yes it sucked in the moment, but it does happen.
Mbbgysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2022, 12:35 PM   #16
BlondesNwatches
"TRF" Member

I'd expect an NYC Boutique to be able to do something as simple as this during any open hours. Pretty sad state that it couldn't. I'd agree with the OP that it'd be considered embarrassing.
BlondesNwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2022, 12:39 PM   #17
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Not great. I always call ahead to ensure that what I want done can be taken care. I’d rather not make a trip since I assumed.
CarlOver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2022, 12:54 PM   #18
77T

If it was the RSC on 5th Av, then I’d say it was embarrassing.

But the Boutique is a sales center first and foremost. OP didn’t know their weekend routine and should be glad it wasn’t handed over to SA who might’ve screwed the pooch.

Then the thread would say “disappointing” instead of “embarrassing”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2022, 12:57 PM   #19
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
You didn't want them doing the work anyway
Old 19 September 2022, 01:03 PM   #20
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Lol they can’t be bothered. Tourneau on 57th would’ve probably been a better option to add a link.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2022, 01:26 PM   #21
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
If it was the RSC on 5th Av, then I’d say it was embarrassing.

But the Boutique is a sales center first and foremost. OP didn’t know their weekend routine and should be glad it wasn’t handed over to SA who might’ve screwed the pooch.

Then the thread would say “disappointing” instead of “embarrassing”.

They scratched my watch case removing the bracelet previously. Left marks on BOTH sides of the lugs
Old 19 September 2022, 02:09 PM   #22
herefortheattachment
"TRF" Member

It’s mind blowing how you can walk into a shop that sells fine Swiss machines with hundreds of tiny parts working in perfect harmony, and the very staff representing the brand are at a complete loss as to how to change a bloody link

I once went to a gray dealer with a CW21 watchmaker on premises to get some links removed from my Seamaster 300M, and was greeted by the owner. He looked at my bracelet, and began stammering… said it was going to be “really difficult” to do (huh?! There’s a tool for it! You guys fix chronometers and have 200k+ in watches in your showcase!). He wanted to charge $10 to remove the links Ran over to the Omega boutique and had it done for free by the very associate that greeted me. Patiently worked with me to get it sized just right, and had a warm smile the whole time.
herefortheattachment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2022, 02:13 PM   #23
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefortheattachment View Post
It’s mind blowing how you can walk into a shop that sells fine Swiss machines with hundreds of tiny parts working in perfect harmony, and the very staff representing the brand are at a complete loss as to how to change a bloody link

I once went to a gray dealer with a CW21 watchmaker on premises to get some links removed from my Seamaster 300M, and was greeted by the owner. He looked at my bracelet, and began stammering… said it was going to be “really difficult” to do (huh?! There’s a tool for it! You guys fix chronometers and have 200k+ in watches in your showcase!). He wanted to charge $10 to remove the links Ran over to the Omega boutique and had it done for free by the very associate that greeted me. Patiently worked with me to get it sized just right, and had a warm smile the whole time.

You wanted a shop, independent of Omega themselves, to take time to remove links and were unhappy they wanted to charge you $10 for said services? Do you also walk into tailors after buying pants at a store, asking them for free hemwork?

Or am I missing something?
Old 19 September 2022, 02:30 PM   #24
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan0704 View Post
They scratched my watch case removing the bracelet previously. Left marks on BOTH sides of the lugs

So…you’re definitely happy that an SA wasn’t eager to do worse to your link screwheads!

I do my own but understand why you aren’t - and respect that judgement.

The thing that SAs don’t do well is soften the threadlock compound sufficiently before launching into screwhead twisting. This is the primary cause of damage to screwheads.

And they NEVER reapply the correct needletip dab of it before reinstalling screws. Lack of threadlock is the primary cause of screws backing out over time, and too much is the cause of link seizure also.

This is where true experience is best sought when a watchmaker can do it.

Old 19 September 2022, 02:33 PM   #25
77T

Quote:

Or am I missing something?
Well put…

Maybe things are done differently on Mars ?? (Check the profile)

Old 19 September 2022, 02:34 PM   #26
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
it's cold there. I know that.
Old 19 September 2022, 02:50 PM   #27
alllexandru

Quote:

Why do we need an AD then?
Customer service should be one of the first priorities, a watch kit for adjusting, sizing bracelets don’t require suck rock science knowledge

Is not about just buying/selling but also keep a good service and support thru the journey of the owner.

I might be also school yes
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2022, 04:48 PM   #28
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
I understand the SA. What if they tried to help you out and marred the screw pin a little ?
The thread title would be different
Old 19 September 2022, 05:25 PM   #29
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Not their job.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2022, 05:29 PM   #30
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

I don’t like the vibe in that store at all. It’s my fault though, I’m not cool enough for most places in Meatpacking.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote