The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 September 2022, 09:48 AM   #1
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
RSC Improperly Packed Bracelet

I sent my BLRO on jubilee to get the oyster bracelet since they’d let me keep the jubilee. When I received it back, it was packed loosely and able to move freely in a plastic bag in a small box. I thought it was odd when I received the package and it sounded like something was loose in there. This is a $2100 bracelet, not a $21 piece of junk.

Unfortunately, my bracelet appears to have sustained a good many more scratches than when I sent it in via the RSC foam padded mailer. Mainly clasp seems to have been scratched; the jubilee links are good at hiding wear.

The inside of the clasp and the outside top right are where it shows the most. I think they doubled the amount of scratches in one night of shipping as I added over the last 3+ years of ownership.

I called them, and they said to send in pictures for them to review against their pictures and packing video. The guy I spoke to claimed that their standard practice is to send the old bracelet wrapped in green tissue paper to avoid this from happening. I know they even sometimes ship bracelets in plastic coffins with foam lining, which is what I thought would happen.

I am so disappointed and upset. It’s really made me not like the Oyster as much because it came at the sacrifice of additional scratches that could’ve been so easily avoided. I’m sure some on here will think they’re attractive, but they’re not to me. And if my watch is going to get scratched, I’d rather be the one to do rather than it being shipped by the manufacture back to me.

They said they’ll be in touch in 2-3 days. I was hoping for an immediate response. I haven’t communicated my expectations, as I’m not fully sure what I want. Part of me wants a new bracelet as I want to avoid polishing, but I also want my original bracelet to stay with me. It’s bad enough to me that I will always look at it and grimace at the one by the crown logo and get mad at Rolex for their apparent poor shipping controls.

Here are pics and a video. How bad it is depends on the lighting of course. In natural sunlight, it’s pretty bad (to me).
https://imgur.com/gallery/OuuTRLF
MRBolton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2022, 10:13 AM   #2
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
Without seeing a "before" pic/vid I don't see how any of us could offer an opinion on it.
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2022, 10:34 AM   #3
OYptL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Invicta
Just going off what you’ve described, RUSA owes you a new bracelet. But if it looked that way prior then oh well. The way it was shipped is not the Rolex I used to know.
OYptL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2022, 10:44 AM   #4
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

It’s odd they wouldn’t just leave the bracelet in the factory plastic it comes in. The little plastic foam packaging is perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2022, 10:45 AM   #5
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
It looks like normal wear to me. I'll buy it if you don't want it. Perhaps you see it with fresh eyes and realize how scratched it was. Sounds like they are on top of it. Keep us updated.
Old 22 September 2022, 11:24 AM   #6
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailboss516 View Post
Without seeing a "before" pic/vid I don't see how any of us could offer an opinion on it.
I know. I wish so badly I would've taken some pics before. It's been forever since I took a pic of the clasp. For some reason, I thought that they would've done the right thing. I'd say whatever was there before about doubled, and the inside of the clasp went from almost nothing to what it is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYptL View Post
Just going off what you’ve described, RUSA owes you a new bracelet. But if it looked that way prior then oh well. The way it was shipped is not the Rolex I used to know.
I'm glad you agree on the new bracelet. I thought it may be a tall ask, but I'm going to try for it I think. I really don't want to ever have to polish my bracelet, or if I do--it's after much longer than 3 years. I also worry about the value diminishing factor that could happen in the future when the piece is considered "vintage."

Honestly, if they'd sell me a 116500LN Daytona, I'd consider it all resolved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
It’s odd they wouldn’t just leave the bracelet in the factory plastic it comes in. The little plastic foam packaging is perfect.
Agreed. I think the reason they didn't was because I had the new bracelet installed per their recommendation, as I would've immediately put it on when it came back anyway. I figured they would've shipped in the factory coffin. Again, the guy on the phone tried to claim they didn't have those, which I told him I had seen others with it and even got a Tudor bracelet like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
It looks like normal wear to me. I'll buy it if you don't want it. Perhaps you see it with fresh eyes and realize how scratched it was. Sounds like they are on top of it. Keep us updated.
When I looked later in the day, the lighting wasn't as bright, so it wasn't as bad. But I know for a fact that it wasn't that scratched when it left my house. People whom I showed my watch to routinely commented on how good of condition I had kept the watch--particularly the bracelet. I literally won't even wear certain shirts/jackets with that watch if I think the sleeve is going to be too rough on the high polish surfaces. I basically never set the watch flat on its bracelet, and I routinely give baths followed by a gentle drying from a Zeiss lint-free lens cloth that is kept away from dust and replaced regularly.
I've treated it very gently, relatively speaking. So, for it to come back like that was so upsetting as someone who is overly cautious.
Don't get me wrong, I wear the watch, but I'm just very aware and like for it to be as pristine as I can let it be within reason.

I will share that the watch head itself doesn't have anything noticeable added to it, so that's a plus. The high polish case side on the 9 clock side honestly has less scratches than I remember, so I don't think it's really a "fresh eye" thing.

That being said, what is the value on the bracelet? If RSC cuts me a deal on a replacement not on an exchange basis, I may be willing to part with it.
Old 22 September 2022, 11:34 PM   #7
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post
He didn’t send them a new bracelet, so why would they owe him a new bracelet Karen?
What’s your solution?
Old 22 September 2022, 11:40 PM   #8
AbeFroman
Banned

Which RSC did you send your watch to?

I can tell you now that you won't get a new bracelet as you didn't send in a brand new watch. Your watch is a little over 3 years old going by your thread history.

I see the hairlines on the inner part of the bracelet and clasp and agree that it was most likely caused by not being secure inside the bag. The same thing can happen at purchase when links are removed individually and placed in the bag without being reconnected. You'll notice especially on the DD40 links on the high polished parts.

I think at most they'll offer to do a polish and maybe a free voucher for next major service (unlikely). I wouldn't get high hopes.
AbeFroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2022, 11:42 PM   #9
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I would suggest it might have been a good idea to wait a couple of days until the RSC responded to you before posting this on the forum. But obviously your choice. I also believe if you’re worried about a shirt or a coat sleeve damaging the surface of your watch, this is probably the wrong hobby for you.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2022, 11:50 PM   #10
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
I would suggest it might have been a good idea to wait a couple of days until the RSC responded to you before posting this on the forum. But obviously your choice.
I agree. If RSC sort it out then no need for this.
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2022, 12:15 AM   #11
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

First world problems.
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2022, 01:14 AM   #12
Baiv
Banned

Watch: SubLV
Not seeing a big deal here
Baiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2022, 02:14 AM   #13
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

That’s because there isn’t one. The sense of outrage around here for the slightest inconvenience is insane. I’m not sure how some of these people deal with real problems in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baiv View Post
Not seeing a big deal here
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2022, 02:19 AM   #14
LC23
"TRF" Member

crazy... I'm sure if you email them they will make it up to you
Old 23 September 2022, 02:21 AM   #15
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
i doubt rsc owes you a new bracelet. a polish maybe.
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2022, 03:19 AM   #16
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
That’s very sloppy of them. Like you said, it’s not a piece of junk.
I would not let them polish it. It’s easy to loose the sharpness of the crown.
Just let it be
Old 23 September 2022, 03:32 AM   #17
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Quote:
That’s because there isn’t one. The sense of outrage around here for the slightest inconvenience is insane. I’m not sure how some of these people deal with real problems in life.
Have to agree. It's a Rolex sports bracelet, not a one-of-a-kind Picasso. Just... live with it.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2022, 12:03 PM   #18
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Sorry for the delay. It wouldn't let me post on my phone today.

RSC called me much sooner than expected this morning. They apologized and said they want to make it right, and they immediately proposed to send me a new bracelet AND keep the old one.

I didn't ask for a new bracelet or even a polish job. I just told them why I was very disappointed and shared the pictures. I couldn't ask for a better outcome.

I immediately told them that is more than fair. The new one should ship out very soon.

Funnily, when I asked if I could please get an extra set of spring bars (they said no when initially buying the bracelet for whatever reason), the gentleman told me he'd ask, but no guarantees. Told him no worries if not, but would like to have an extra set handy if possible.

Consider this very favorably resolved! While this shouldn't have happened in the first place, they stepped up to the plate "bigly."
Old 23 September 2022, 12:34 PM   #19
AbeFroman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
Sorry for the delay. It wouldn't let me post on my phone today.

RSC called me much sooner than expected this morning. They apologized and said they want to make it right, and they immediately proposed to send me a new bracelet AND keep the old one.

I didn't ask for a new bracelet or even a polish job. I just told them why I was very disappointed and shared the pictures. I couldn't ask for a better outcome.

I immediately told them that is more than fair. The new one should ship out very soon.

Funnily, when I asked if I could please get an extra set of spring bars (they said no when initially buying the bracelet for whatever reason), the gentleman told me he'd ask, but no guarantees. Told him no worries if not, but would like to have an extra set handy if possible.

Consider this very favorably resolved! While this shouldn't have happened in the first place, they stepped up to the plate "bigly."
That's certainly an interesting ending and one most wouldn't expect. It's very unusual for them to let you keep the old bracelet especially when a new one is being provided. Can you answer my previous question of which RSC this was?
AbeFroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2022, 12:51 PM   #20
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeFroman View Post
That's certainly an interesting ending and one most wouldn't expect. It's very unusual for them to let you keep the old bracelet especially when a new one is being provided. Can you answer my previous question of which RSC this was?
I was surprised at how quickly they took responsibility, but I have to imagine their pictures/videos made it pretty cut and dry--especially that it was packed in violation of their standards. Pretty tough for a company not to take action when an employee does something against protocol that causes an issue.

I expected for them to likely offer a polish, or if they offered a new bracelet--make me swap the old one. Not surprised they'd do something, but shocked at the level of action and without absolutely any "fight" on my part. Just a few minute phone call to explain and them say to email pictures, so I sent the follow-up pictures with a short synopsis of what happened/why it was disappointing. Again, I'm over the moon.

I posted it earlier on my phone, but it wouldn't go through; forgot about that. It was RSC Dallas that it was sent from. As to where the management who made the decision to allow this was, I couldn't tell you, but I would imagine it was also Dallas.
Old 23 September 2022, 12:58 PM   #21
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
I sent my BLRO on jubilee to get the oyster bracelet since they’d let me keep the jubilee. When I received it back, it was packed loosely and able to move freely in a plastic bag in a small box. I thought it was odd when I received the package and it sounded like something was loose in there. This is a $2100 bracelet, not a $21 piece of junk.

Unfortunately, my bracelet appears to have sustained a good many more scratches than when I sent it in via the RSC foam padded mailer. Mainly clasp seems to have been scratched; the jubilee links are good at hiding wear.

The inside of the clasp and the outside top right are where it shows the most. I think they doubled the amount of scratches in one night of shipping as I added over the last 3+ years of ownership.

I called them, and they said to send in pictures for them to review against their pictures and packing video. The guy I spoke to claimed that their standard practice is to send the old bracelet wrapped in green tissue paper to avoid this from happening. I know they even sometimes ship bracelets in plastic coffins with foam lining, which is what I thought would happen.

I am so disappointed and upset. It’s really made me not like the Oyster as much because it came at the sacrifice of additional scratches that could’ve been so easily avoided. I’m sure some on here will think they’re attractive, but they’re not to me. And if my watch is going to get scratched, I’d rather be the one to do rather than it being shipped by the manufacture back to me.

They said they’ll be in touch in 2-3 days. I was hoping for an immediate response. I haven’t communicated my expectations, as I’m not fully sure what I want. Part of me wants a new bracelet as I want to avoid polishing, but I also want my original bracelet to stay with me. It’s bad enough to me that I will always look at it and grimace at the one by the crown logo and get mad at Rolex for their apparent poor shipping controls.

Here are pics and a video. How bad it is depends on the lighting of course. In natural sunlight, it’s pretty bad (to me).
https://imgur.com/gallery/OuuTRLF

Do you usually stress out like this for everything? They said they would get back to you in a couple days while they research how it was packed. Seems pretty reasonable to me. i'm sure they will exchange it once they clear everything up. Calm down. There will be plenty of time to winge if they deny you, but it may just work out.
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2022, 01:02 PM   #22
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTuna View Post
Do you usually stress out like this for everything? They said they would get back to you in a couple days while they research how it was packed. Seems pretty reasonable to me. i'm sure they will exchange it once they clear everything up. Calm down. There will be plenty of time to winge if they deny you, but it may just work out.
As a watch enthusiast like you likely are as well, I thought I'd share what happened in real-time as many on here do. It has been resolved.
Old 23 September 2022, 03:06 PM   #23
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post

This is how mine came
Old 23 September 2022, 03:08 PM   #24
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeFroman View Post
Almost unbelievable

Very unlike Rolex to leave you with the old part
Old 23 September 2022, 06:05 PM   #25
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTuna View Post
Did you always post without reading mire than the first post in a thread?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2022, 06:09 PM   #26
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Hav.e to agree

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2022, 06:30 PM   #27
PT_91
"TRF" Member

I can't post pictures of my fearlessly-worn Speedy because it would probably result in anxiety with a lot of members in this forum...that being said, scratches resulting from poor packaging or whatever are of course frustrating, but scratches also prove that a watch "has lived"...

Out of curiosity: why would it actually be a problem for you to have them polish the bracelet?
PT_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2022, 06:36 PM   #28
Heff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_91 View Post
I can't post pictures of my fearlessly-worn Speedy because it would probably result in anxiety with a lot of members in this forum...that being said, scratches resulting from poor packaging or whatever are of course frustrating, but scratches also prove that a watch "has lived"...

Out of curiosity: why would it actually be a problem for you to have them polish the bracelet?

I gotta see this thing. Love a well worn watch.

Heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2022, 07:17 PM   #29
PT_91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heff View Post
I gotta see this thing. Love a well worn watch.

Sent you a PM, hope it worked (haven't tried that feature out before)
PT_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2022, 07:37 PM   #30
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_91 View Post

Have to agree if some on forum had seen my 16600 SD after working 5 long years underwater as a real working tool watch,many on forum today would of had a heart attack.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote