The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Rate yourself in the AD game in 2022
1 - Don't call us, we'll call you 86 22.99%
2 - Lady DJs only 9 2.41%
3 - DJ36/Explorer 29 7.75%
4 - I should be able to buy one professional model 165 44.12%
5 - I get whatever models I want this year 85 22.73%
Voters: 374. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24 September 2022, 10:15 PM   #61
Mike507
"TRF" Member

I was waiting 6 months for an explorer 1. Was politely told that it pretty much wasn't happening (at least that's how I took it).

I happened to like a Panerai luminor Due. So I said ok, I love the Panerai. Let's forget about the explorer 1, but I really love the new Air King. Sell my a new air king and I'll buy the Panerai as well. 5 days later I was able to buy both.

Now it took me buying something else to get what I wanted, but I really love both, so I was very happy with the transaction.
Mike507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 04:53 AM   #62
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
it's sad that he keeps posting that same comment in all these threads when he's a mod and with all the respect he gets here. there's a mountain of evidence that proves buying a rolex today is hard and requires a "relationship" and saying it only exists in a fantasy land is basically just calling everyone here stupid. he hasn't bought a rolex at an AD in a long time and ironically he's the one in the fantasy land
If you hadn't been in an AD since Eisenhower was president you feel same way. way.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 06:13 AM   #63
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
If you hadn't been in an AD since Eisenhower was president you feel same way. way.

Be that as it may, his presence on the forums is necessary.

I would just scroll past the comments like that and show a little respect and not engage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 07:45 AM   #64
Wolf0fallstreets
"TRF" Member

I’ve had to wait a while but I’ve gotten most pieces I wanted at retail.
Wolf0fallstreets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 07:52 AM   #65
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf0fallstreets View Post
I’ve had to wait a while but I’ve gotten most pieces I wanted at retail.
I believe I too could get most references in time from an AD but right this second Rolex and it’s reputation is a little to common and embarrassing for me.

Only people who are interested in them are Insta-flexers who I find are cringeworthy
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 08:04 AM   #66
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
I try very hard to not be involved in “games” of any sort. Especially if it’s not business related.

So mine is non existent.

Sent from my Apple privacy invasion product
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 08:31 AM   #67
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
I’m somewhere between 4 and 5.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 09:35 AM   #68
LostAggie
"TRF" Member

I refuse to play game. I was able to get Sub Date in about 6 weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
LostAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 09:17 PM   #69
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
Be that as it may, his presence on the forums is necessary.

I would just scroll past the comments like that and show a little respect and not engage.

I don't need a scolding from anyone, much less from someone who clearly hasn't read the entire thread.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
Old 25 September 2022, 09:38 PM   #70
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
I’m a VIP, lots of history, great collection growth. So fortunate.

But this is how it has worked for my closest friends. I make an email intro explaining my relationship with my friend, what he/she might be interested in. Why this person is very close to me… what he/she does for a living, potential important accomplishment coming up if true, what watches they might have….

Then we visit together with an appoinment to make formal intro. Dress the part, wear a Rolex or your best watch. Talk watches, family or other find element commonality. Exchange biz cards. No s king visit. 20-3Omins. Buy something else if you really want it only, or bring a repair or a battery change for nice fashion watch or other. Your AD sees you and friend get along well, etc . You been friends xxx years or because xxxx ….

It has worked all the time, friends have gotten their watch. or offered a nice option and bought it. Now they can buy without me going in with them, they visit AD a very few months , send a thank you note after email or handwritten. Drop a bottle wine after….

More importantly be honest, nice, and put no pressure….no datelines just ideally for/by xxxx

Cheers!

My friend(s) go in
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 09:47 PM   #71
mattidk
"TRF" Member

Fortunate enough to get my green sub just before my SA stops working at the AD after
My wait and relationships for over 2 years, bought few other watches and service one watch. Regularly visit the AD, checking new watches and asking on the chance in the past year. AD tend to tell the same story to all, even u buy that JLC/breitling etc would u still able to get pepsi or green sub, that’s the matter of u have to discuss with your SA how it works there. I hear few get EX II or blck sub with no history just the matter of luck if u see u as potential good customer. Try many ADs as u can, at least eill give u better chance.
mattidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 09:55 PM   #72
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

A lot of people can’t afford to buy a Rolex from their AD as it’s too expensive for their integrity.
Old 25 September 2022, 10:14 PM   #73
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCP View Post

But this is how it has worked for my closest friends. I make an email intro explaining my relationship with my friend, what he/she might be interested in. Why this person is very close to me… what he/she does for a living, potential important accomplishment coming up if true, what watches they might have….

Then we visit together with an appoinment to make formal intro. Dress the part, wear a Rolex or your best watch. Talk watches, family or other find element commonality. Exchange biz cards. No s king visit. 20-3Omins. Buy something else if you really want it only, or bring a repair or a battery change for nice fashion watch or other. Your AD sees you and friend get along well, etc . You been friends xxx years or because xxxx ….

It has worked all the time, friends have gotten their watch. or offered a nice option and bought it. Now they can buy without me going in with them, they visit AD a very few months , send a thank you note after email or handwritten. Drop a bottle wine after….

More importantly be honest, nice, and put no pressure….no datelines just ideally for/by xxxx

Cheers!

My friend(s) go in
That's your solution?

That's just about you and not only being able to get what you want but able to get others watches as well.

Old 25 September 2022, 10:56 PM   #74
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
I try very hard to not be involved in “games” of any sort. Especially if it’s not business related.

So mine is non existent.
Well played

Perhaps the problem is those who feel this is a game... and their AD knows this and so these 'Game' people are causing their own personal downward spiral. If i was an AD, the Game people can swing their own while true enthusiasts receive allocation. jmho
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 11:11 PM   #75
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
I don't need a scolding from anyone, much less from someone who clearly hasn't read the entire thread.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Quite frankly, I don’t know what you need. But that wasn’t directed to you so I apologize if your feelings got hurt.

Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 11:55 PM   #76
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
I wasn't sure how to vote in this poll.
I've been told that my AD can get me what I want.
But I think that's because they knew I only wanted a BB58 and Explorer1.
Old 26 September 2022, 01:21 AM   #77
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
A lot of people can’t afford to buy a Rolex from their AD as it’s too expensive for their integrity.
That’s a nice way of saying it. Totally agree
Old 26 September 2022, 01:32 AM   #78
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
That’s a nice way of saying it. Totally agree
+2,,,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2022, 02:47 AM   #79
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
Quite frankly, I don’t know what you need. But that wasn’t directed to you so I apologize if your feelings got hurt.

You quoted me and told me what I should and shouldn't post. How exactly should I read it...aside from passive aggressiveness in this walkback?

Old 26 September 2022, 09:14 AM   #80
Watchsprings
"TRF" Member

Well I thought I was doing ok, until I saw Exp and DJ36 at #3! I got both from my AD and love them.
Watchsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2022, 09:45 AM   #81
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchsprings View Post
Well I thought I was doing ok, until I saw Exp and DJ36 at #3! I got both from my AD and love them.
I do love my explorer, but it kind of left a bitter taste in my mouth so to speak knowing that I asked for a SS but was offered a TT. As it turns out, after seeing the TT, I would have chosen it over the SS anyway, but nonetheless I think never having been offered exactly what I ask is not the experience I hoped to get. Even the DJ36 Wimbledon was not exactly what I asked. I originally requested a DJ41 Wimbledon rose gold on Jubilee, but got a 36 on oyster. It's a terrific watch either way tho.
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2022, 10:04 AM   #82
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Purchase history and patience has worked for me
Old 26 September 2022, 12:21 PM   #83
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCP View Post

Cheers!

My friend(s) go in
Power to you if that is how you like to roll, however there is no way I am going through that superficial, disingenuous hyperbole to get a Rolex.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2022, 02:06 PM   #84
seriously_watch_this
"TRF" Member

Watch: Today a Yachtmstr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
Power to you if that is how you like to roll, however there is no way I am going through that superficial, disingenuous hyperbole to get a Rolex.

Right on…feel the exact same way. It’s a watch, people - not the keys to the universe!! Rolex ADs - you work in retail to serve me when I’m ready to buy - not the other way around. Imagine if buying something like a refrigerator or a car or even a house was like trying to get a Rolex!!

CAR AD: “Oh - you want this new Chevy Tahoe? Do you have any purchase history? No? Well…maybe if you bought this Cruz first, we could consider putting you on the list…”

NOBODY would put up with that for a minute!!

seriously_watch_this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2022, 02:14 PM   #85
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriously_watch_this View Post
Right on…feel the exact same way. It’s a watch, people - not the keys to the universe!! Rolex ADs - you work in retail to serve me when I’m ready to buy - not the other way around. Imagine if buying something like a refrigerator or a car or even a house was like trying to get a Rolex!!

CAR AD: “Oh - you want this new Chevy Tahoe? Do you have any purchase history? No? Well…maybe if you bought this Cruz first, we could consider putting you on the list…”

Try buying the Electric F-150…

bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2022, 02:35 PM   #86
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
I have zero relationship. I refuse to kiss anyone's ass for any reason, so I'm out, nature of the beast I suppose. I will say that it isn't all bad; with the ridiculousness of the Rolex brand now, I have really begun to enjoy other brands, even some inexpensive micro brands.

I've purchased a Panerai and Breitling in the last couple months, both from boutiques. The way different brands treat their customers is quite amazing. I don't live near boutiques for either, so the transactions were over the phone. The staff could not have been more accommodating. I've tried calling a few Rolex ADs and one literally laughed at me on the phone, most others (within 300 miles of me) won't communicate at all over the phone, saying they will only discuss models in store, just crazy.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2022, 07:51 PM   #87
DK7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriously_watch_this View Post

Try new 992 GT3 RS good luck. ;-)
DK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2022, 08:48 PM   #88
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
My 'game,' as you put it, was to go to a watch store, ask for watch, get told it's on waitlist, ask to be put on said waitlist, and forget about it. This whole nonsense of 'checking in' with a watch dealer is bananas. I don't 'check in' with anyone other than family/friends/clients, why on earth grown men/women call their local watch dealer to grovel for a watch is beyond me.

If I have a missed call and they leave a voicemail stating they have the watch I asked for, great! I'll buy it. If they don't, well, at least I get to look at great photos on TRF
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2022, 12:11 AM   #89
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post
My 'game,' as you put it, was to go to a watch store, ask for watch, get told it's on waitlist, ask to be put on said waitlist, and forget about it. This whole nonsense of 'checking in' with a watch dealer is bananas.
I see this "checking in" thing frequently. It baffles me too. Before "checking in", maybe people might consider turning it 180. Where does "checking in" stop and pestering start?

I suppose I am relatively lucky in that my AD sells a wide range of goods and we visit a few times a year to buy other things, sometimes very inexpensive things. Being in the shop for a reason and being seen to buy things strikes me as a better way of managing a relationship. But whatever works for the individual - providing it works.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2022, 12:22 AM   #90
Coronette
"TRF" Member

Once you establish a purchase history stay with them. I called my AD looking for a YMII and she produced it for me in 3 short weeks. If they like and trust you an AD can get you pretty much what you want. I’m starting to think there really isn’t a shortage now but a lot of ADs are just playing games.
Coronette is offline   Reply With Quote