The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 January 2016, 03:43 PM   #31
RFIgroup
"TRF" Member

I think it's very possible that the entire model 116660 is discontinued once all the current models dealers have are sold. Besides they brought the SD 4000 back.
JMHO
RFIgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2016, 01:17 PM   #32
Dyim
"TRF" Member

DSSD is the epitome of Rolex dive watches. Unless there is a better dive watch, they will never discontinue it IMO.

What they do with the dial is a different story. Anybody's guess. D blue is special in a sense because it is not unveiled at Baselworld and it has its own hardcover book. My guess is they will keep making it as long as demand is there, and they create the illusion of great demand by limiting supply.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2016, 03:44 PM   #33
ABChop
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyim View Post
DSSD is the epitome of Rolex dive watches. Unless there is a better dive watch, they will never discontinue it IMO.

What they do with the dial is a different story. Anybody's guess. D blue is special in a sense because it is not unveiled at Baselworld and it has its own hardcover book. My guess is they will keep making it as long as demand is there, and they create the illusion of great demand by limiting supply.
I totally agree with you....I think this is as good a guess as any.

But it would be great if it is discontinued...later in the year after I get mine that is!
- 116660 DSSD D-Blue, 124060, 126613LN, 116710BLNR
- 116500LN White Dial - “U” 16610 “SWISS” dial
ABChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2016, 07:34 PM   #34
RFIgroup
"TRF" Member

Discontinued DSSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyim View Post

I respectfully disagree . I think the Submariner is the epitome Rolex dive watch.
The DSSD tantamounts to the ultimate in dive watch engineering and design for Rolex.
It's like a 959 or 918 Porsche. It is definitely not mainstream and demonstrates the ultimate. Like many other things that are ultimate they may not be the most compelling or appealing to the masses. To most people it's huge ,heavy , and just unnecessary for they need thus the slow sales historically for a Rolex SS sports model.
I still believe Rolex will quietly stop producing it soon.
RFIgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2016, 11:48 PM   #35
Dyim
"TRF" Member

I look at it differently.

918 is the latest and greatest from Porsche right now with the latest tech. 918 can be impractical in daily use. 911 is what people think of when they think of Porsche and is a great DD.

I would say DSSD is the Rolex dive watch (that you can buy at the store) that can go the deepest. It is certainly bulky and you don't need the diving depth. The sub is what people think of when you talk about rolex dive watches. Of course, most people don't need the depth rating of the sub either. Both DSSD and sub are great watches.

IMO, the epitome of Porsche road cars and Rolex dive watch is 918 and DSSD. 911 and sub is iconic.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote