The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 March 2018, 06:20 AM   #1
mac_135
"TRF" Member

Crunchy feeling when winding 114060

I just went to wind my Submariner, and it feels crunchy.. or, a whole lot less smooth than usual when winding it. Is this normal? I've only had the watch for about 6 months and am worried something is wrong.

Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
mac_135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2018, 06:33 AM   #2
DahMan
Banned

I have the sub c date, typically I can’t even tell I’m winding it. Roles has a default that doesn’t.t allow you to overwind. Maybe you have wound to that point.
DahMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2018, 06:47 AM   #3
Coop13
Banned

Watch: SBGW231, SRP777
Crunchy like a phish concert?
Coop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2018, 11:23 AM   #4
mac_135
"TRF" Member

The watch had stopped after not being worn for a few days, so it was not overwound. Just wondering if this is something to be worried about.
Old 12 March 2018, 11:28 AM   #5
stamsd
"TRF" Member

Watch: this/ hold my beer
My experience with later model Rolex watches is that if you put your ear up to the stem while you turn (somewhat slowly), it should be a "tick, tick, tick" like a safe dial. If it sounds "sandy" or like a "wheez", that's not normal.
stamsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2018, 11:29 AM   #6
Arthur Daley
"TRF" Member

Haven't experienced it with a Rolex but have experienced it with another mechanical watch that needed a service. Did you buy it new or pre-owned? Perhaps it needs a lube job?
Arthur Daley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2018, 11:30 AM   #7
lain09
"TRF" Member

Once it's wound the power reserve to full it gets a bit less 'smooth' from my experience. I wind until I feel it transition.
lain09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2018, 11:32 AM   #8
Zedder
"TRF" Member

Mine did that and then it got to the point where I didn’t feel comfortable winding it for fear I was damaging something. Took it in for service...
Zedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2018, 11:54 AM   #9
mac_135
"TRF" Member

Bought brand new in September 2017. I have wound it a few times since I got it obviously, and always loved how smooth and quality the winding mechanism felt. This almost feels sandy or gritty or something.. but it doesn't make sense considering it's so new. I did notice that I hadn't had to wind it manually for a long time as I had been wearing it every day, would this make any difference?
Old 12 March 2018, 12:42 PM   #10
Zedder
"TRF" Member

My Sub was 10 years old when this started. Always smooth before this...even if it had been months since I had worn it last. Your watch is under warranty, so take it in and get it fixed.
Zedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2018, 01:12 PM   #11
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_135 View Post
Bought brand new in September 2017. I have wound it a few times since I got it obviously, and always loved how smooth and quality the winding mechanism felt. This almost feels sandy or gritty or something.. but it doesn't make sense considering it's so new. I did notice that I hadn't had to wind it manually for a long time as I had been wearing it every day, would this make any difference?
First make sure that none of the tiny stickers stuck under the crown (had that happen to me and my heart dropped)
If not then time to contact RSC. Good thing it’s still under warranty
Old 12 March 2018, 01:27 PM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Nothing like that with any of mine, they all wind smoothly. I have noticed the SD43 is a bit “tighter” feeling when I turn the crown vs. my others.

For some reason my DBlue is absolutely the smoothest feeling wind of the all, perhaps just because of the bigger crown.

I’d have it looked at
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2018, 01:53 PM   #13
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Quote:
I just went to wind my Submariner, and it feels crunchy.. or, a whole lot less smooth than usual when winding it. Is this normal? I've only had the watch for about 6 months and am worried something is wrong.

Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
No. Definitely not normal. If it were we I'd take it in immediately and let the pros assess the situation. No six month old should behave like this. Especially a Rolex!

Good luck bud,
Mark

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2018, 03:13 PM   #14
RollieRoll
Banned

Good luck with this ...curious to see what the diagnosis was
RollieRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2018, 03:14 PM   #15
mac_135
"TRF" Member

UPDATE: So I took the watch directly to RSC Toronto today. Apparently there was an issue with the crown/stem.. without any other explanation. They said it was reported to Geneva and that they could "make an adjustment" while I wait. I left the watch and picked it up shortly after. After reading the other recent thread about this location, I asked to have the watch cleaned, which they did no problem.

The issue now is that I tried to pull out the crown to set the time, and noticed it was about 10 times harder to pull out than previously. Here we go again.. I will be calling them tomorrow to ask about this.
Old 15 March 2018, 04:17 PM   #16
Photovideopro
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I had a black bay with the same issue. It only got worse the longer I had it. Crown was replaced under warranty
Photovideopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2018, 04:20 PM   #17
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
The issue now is that I tried to pull out the crown to set the time, and noticed it was about 10 times harder to pull out than previously. Here we go again.. I will be calling them tomorrow to ask about this.
Oy. Good luck, and keep us posted.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2018, 09:12 PM   #18
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

It sounds like the watchmaker rushed (or was rushed by the manager) and made an error.

Outside of the new difficulty, does the watch now wind smoothly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2018, 11:17 PM   #19
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Hi I had this happen to my new 114060 back in 2014. It needs to go in for warranty service. Obviously no charge and the turnaround was quick less than 4 weeks. The service receipt was vague, it said something about making minor adjustments to watch. In any event its been buttery smooth ever since. My 116613lb has been perfect for several years.
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 02:54 PM   #20
mac_135
"TRF" Member

Well I have to apologize to the forum for not coming back with an update on this issue. I just ended up living with the watch because I love wearing it so much. I recently bought a Speedmaster, so naturally I've been wearing the Sub a bit less for the time being, meaning I need to wind up the Sub every few days.

The "crunchy/sandy" winding problem is back. I had a family member who wears a Datejust try to wind it, and he confirmed.. something is not right. The crown is also still VERY tough to pull out to to set the time.

I've only owned the watch for 13 months, so lots of time left on warranty.

Of course I will take it back to RSC Toronto, but I'm curious if I can do further damage by continuing to wind the watch as it is. I live about an hour away.

Thoughts?
Old 16 October 2018, 03:04 PM   #21
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Keep us posted and best of luck!
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 04:45 PM   #22
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Well I have to apologize to the forum for not coming back with an update on this issue. I just ended up living with the watch because I love wearing it so much. I recently bought a Speedmaster, so naturally I've been wearing the Sub a bit less for the time being, meaning I need to wind up the Sub every few days.

The "crunchy/sandy" winding problem is back. I had a family member who wears a Datejust try to wind it, and he confirmed.. something is not right. The crown is also still VERY tough to pull out to to set the time.

I've only owned the watch for 13 months, so lots of time left on warranty.

Of course I will take it back to RSC Toronto, but I'm curious if I can do further damage by continuing to wind the watch as it is. I live about an hour away.

Thoughts?
If you're quite sure it doesn't feel right when turning the Winding crown to manually wind the watch, then it follows like all machinery it is possible you may be doing harm.

I am curious.
Why do you persist with this course of action?

After reading your original post.
As an experiment i picked up one of my stopped Rolex watches and kick started it using the old Seiko method which is to gently swing it from side to side by wrist action whilst holding it in the hand.
It started of its own accord within 6 seconds and i set it down to tap out this reply.
I tap pretty slow compared with the young people these days that are born with a smart phone attached to their hands.
And the watch is still running happily.
I shall simply set this baby to the right time and put it on to wear as normal and it will wind itself up from natural movement.
Don't forget these things are primarily designed to be wound from the Automatic winding mechanism.

In summary, there is absolutely no requirement for you to continue manually winding your watch until you have it seen to by the professionals

PS.
My watch is still running.
Who would've thought
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 05:06 PM   #23
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
My LV feels a little bit ‘notchy’ compared to the smooth wind of a newer pice. I asked another dealer about it and he said it was possibly a bit dry (lube) or maybe even a damaged tooth. I’m not too worried and plan to leave it until the next service.

Hopefully yours is just dry but something may have gotten in there or a tiny grub screw may have come loose inside (happened to me on a Speedy).

If you’re worried I would hack the movement to prevent any damage and send it back to RSC.
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 06:08 PM   #24
mac_135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
I am curious.
Why do you persist with this course of action?
\
Because I took it to RSC Toronto last year, after only owning the watch for a few months. I have been wearing it 5-6 days/week and after one "fix" if they haven't figured it out, they can fix any damage done or replace it as far as I'm concerned. $9000 for a watch, should damn well work lol.
Old 16 October 2018, 11:22 PM   #25
Sweetswisssteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126618LB
Needs a service or warranty fix.

Sent from my HTC 2PXH3 using Tapatalk
Sweetswisssteel is offline   Reply With Quote