The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 January 2016, 06:30 AM   #1
Rjthomas111
"TRF" Member

Rolex Submariner Gold

Does the 2015 Submariner gold serial# begin with a V and followed by all numbers?
Rjthomas111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2016, 06:32 AM   #2
REFZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Rolex Way
Imo a random serial number would be more likely.
Old 13 January 2016, 06:34 AM   #3
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
no that is an older version, it "could" be new old stock
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2016, 06:39 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjthomas111 View Post
Does the 2015 Submariner gold serial# begin with a V and followed by all numbers?
Rolex does not make a watch by "model year" but you should take note of the number of total digits as random serials could have any combination.

Precious Metal serials have always lagged Stainless Steel models by a year or more.
Old 13 January 2016, 06:41 AM   #5
Rjthomas111
"TRF" Member

But is V a latest model Sub gold?
Old 13 January 2016, 06:46 AM   #6
Alpino
"TRF" Member

how many numbers after the V ? 7 or 6 ?
Alpino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2016, 09:23 AM   #7
Tools

Watch: GMT's
Quote:

You are mixing things up..

If it is a 11661x model, it is the "latest model", regardless of the serial number.
Old 13 January 2016, 09:29 AM   #8
HL65

Watch: One on my wrist.
FYI guys I have seen brand new M series watches just shipped from Rolex NY to AD's with Sunburst dial. Rolex using up older serial number cases on new watches. So you just never know! In fact when I bought mine I had to order it 3 times as the first 2 the M came in and luckily my AD sent back to Rolex and I waited for random. This was just a few months ago too. Oh and of course M was before V.

Check out serial number: This was the first one...

Not random but M serial with 7 digits.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2016, 09:38 AM   #9
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
V is part of a serial # and could be on a Day Date, Submariner, DateJust, or any brands made in a certain time frame by Rolex.

The Submariner model number and n your watch is what you need to look at

THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2016, 09:39 AM   #10
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

You are mixing things up..

If it is a 11661x model, it is the "latest model", regardless of the serial number.
X2

But I'm pretty certain a 2015 model would be a random serial number

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2016, 09:51 AM   #11
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordofrolex View Post
X2

But I'm pretty certain a 2015 model would be a random serial number
Look above at my post M came before V...You just never know with Rolex. Again I didn't take it but Rolex sent 2 M's in a row brand new from Rolex NY to AD here.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 13 January 2016, 10:29 AM   #12
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Look above at my post M came before V...You just never know with Rolex. Again I didn't take it but Rolex sent 2 M's in a row brand new from Rolex NY to AD here.
Surprised to see this. I would figure the 7 character serial cases would be gone by now. Don't see many brand new watches without random serial numbers especially Subs.
Sublover2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2016, 10:42 AM   #13
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
the better question might be... Is V the last of the non-random serial numbers, before the changeover?
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2016, 10:58 AM   #14
WhatTheDeuce
"TRF" Member

Watch: cha want...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
the better question might be... Is V the last of the non-random serial numbers, before the changeover?

I believe G is the last.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 13 January 2016, 11:17 AM   #15
dera
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Are you 110% sure your AD gets watches direct from Rolex USA, and not from other stores/distributor?
dera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2016, 11:25 AM   #16
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by dera View Post
Are you 110% sure your AD gets watches direct from Rolex USA, and not from other stores/distributor?
Yes of course! I also spoke with and met the Regional Sales Manager for Rolex at the DD 40 party he hosted. He told me they were using up M cases. They had 10 of them left at Rolex USA. This watch was brand new 100% and from Rolex USA. They ordered another one and Rolex USA shipped out another M serial. They let my AD send it back and third time was a charm w random! Crazy both he and I never saw before. So as I said you just never know with Rolex.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 13 January 2016, 11:34 AM   #17
dera
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes of course! I also spoke with and met the Regional Sales Manager for Rolex at the DD 40 party he hosted. He told me they were using up M cases. They had 10 of them left at Rolex USA. This watch was brand new 100% and from Rolex USA. They ordered another one and Rolex USA shipped out another M serial. They let my AD send it back and third time was a charm w random! Crazy both he and I never saw before. So as I said you just never know with Rolex.
OK, clearly Rolex USA has quite a lot of old stock on some slower-to-move pieces! Rolex SA hasn't shipped non-randoms, even solid gold ones, in years.
Old 13 January 2016, 11:38 AM   #18
HL65

Quote:
OK, clearly Rolex USA has quite a lot of old stock on some slower-to-move pieces! Rolex SA hasn't shipped non-randoms, even solid gold ones, in years.
No what was really interesting to me and my AD was that Rolex didn't make the Sunburst dial in 07' so clearly they were using some cases they had left over. That was what made it interesting! Also YG Subs move pretty well according to Rolex USA Regional Sales Manager. Anyway what were the chances two in a row were M's that weren't even in existence w the sunburst dial?

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 13 January 2016, 11:43 AM   #19
Rjthomas111
"TRF" Member

Thanks all
Old 13 January 2016, 11:44 AM   #20
dera
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No what was really interesting to me and my AD was that Rolex didn't make the Sunburst dial in 07' so clearly they were using some cases they had left over. That was what made it interesting! Also YG Subs move pretty well according to Rolex USA Regional Sales Manager. Anyway what were the chances two in a row were M's that weren't even in existence w the sunburst dial?
Clearly not moving well if they still are shipping watches that were probably sold by Rolex SA 5-8 years ago! (I have no doubt there is always overlap between dial and case use, but I find it hard to think Rolex would have 8 year old cases left today, given that they have been selling random cases for such a long time in Europe. 2-3 years yes, hence the 5-8 year estimate.) I'm betting Rolex USA simply had a few old stock left, and their FIFO meant you just got the last two old ones, before someone specifically ordered a random serial...

The M sunburst would have confused a lot of vintage Rolex experts in 20 years time!
Old 13 January 2016, 11:50 AM   #21
HL65

Quote:
Clearly not moving well if they still are shipping watches that were probably sold by Rolex SA 5-8 years ago! (I have no doubt there is always overlap between dial and case use, but I find it hard to think Rolex would have 8 year old cases left today, given that they have been selling random cases for such a long time in Europe. 2-3 years yes, hence the 5-8 year estimate.) I'm betting Rolex USA simply had a few old stock left, and their FIFO meant you just got the last two old ones, before someone specifically ordered a random serial...

The M sunburst would have confused a lot of vintage Rolex experts in 20 years time!
You can't order a random serial. The AD orders watch and Rolex USA sends reference. There also was no overlap with sunburst dial as it came out with random not V or M. You are correct in that they moved these 10 M's to the front and first to be shipped. I only know this from my conversation w the Regional Sales Manager from Rolex. Fortunately the third time worked or I wasn't going to take the watch. Yes that would and will confuse some people years from now or upon resale.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 13 January 2016, 11:54 AM   #22
Flyingz06
"TRF" Member

Why does it matter if random number or not ?
Flyingz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2016, 11:55 AM   #23
dera
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You can't order a random serial. The AD orders watch and Rolex USA sends reference. There also was no overlap with sunburst dial as it came out with random not V or M. You are correct in that they moved these 10 M's to the front and first to be shipped. I only know this from my conversation w the Regional Sales Manager from Rolex. Fortunately the third time worked or I wasn't going to take the watch. Yes that would and will confuse some people years from now or upon resale.
Yep I meant someone ordered the piece from Rolex USA saying "Make sure it has a random serial", that can be done with Rolex SA so I imagine it can be done with Rolex USA too(I know of a case where dealer ordered a random serial with as much 8's as possible, and they obliged). There can be manual intervention in the delivery process when it's a piece with "free" availability(so not DSSD D-Blue or SS Daytona).
Old 13 January 2016, 11:56 AM   #24
dera
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingz06 View Post
Why does it matter if random number or not ?
Assumption of constant improvement of the case making process at Rolex, and resale value.
Old 13 January 2016, 11:57 AM   #25
HL65

Quote:
Yep I meant someone ordered the piece from Rolex USA saying "Make sure it has a random serial", that can be done with Rolex SA so I imagine it can be done with Rolex USA too(I know of a case where dealer ordered a random serial with as much 8's as possible, and they obliged). There can be manual intervention in the delivery process when it's a piece with "free" availability(so not DSSD D-Blue or SS Daytona).
With Rolex USA you can request random but they ship whatever they want. Again this was clearly a very unique situation as neither my AD nor I ever saw anything like it. Especially a watch that didn't even have that dial when that serial number was out. So there are 10 people walking around with the only M sunburst dials in USA!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 13 January 2016, 12:03 PM   #26
dera
"TRF" Member

Quote:
With Rolex USA you can request random but they ship whatever they want. Again this was clearly a very unique situation as neither my AD nor I ever saw anything like it. Especially a watch that didn't even have that dial when that serial number was out. So there are 10 people walking around with the only M sunburst dials in USA!
10 is such a low amount that they will likely be considered redials in the future. Vintage Rolex market is quite brutal...

In 20 years, we'll be seeing one in WatchOut!!! here and we're all yelling "FAKE" or "REDIAL!"
Old 16 January 2016, 07:52 AM   #27
Flyingz06
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Assumption of constant improvement of the case making process at Rolex, and resale value.
So di I want a random one? Or what do I look for?
Flyingz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2016, 08:19 AM   #28
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
It really shouldn't matter. If it is the new style, the lugs will be thicker, it will have a ceramic bezel, and a glidelock clasp. Wear it and enjoy it!!!
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote