The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 January 2016, 01:36 AM   #1
WatchWeb
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT2C, Sub LVC
Smurf owners..

I knew this but a quick copy & paste from Google shows this :-

"White gold is an alloy of gold and at least one white metal, usually nickel, manganese or palladium. Like yellow gold, the purity of white gold is given in karats. White gold's properties vary depending on the metals and proportions used".

I have had white gold jewellery over the years of different karats & over time the yellow gold has started to show through the White "layer" on some pieces.

Has anyone had a Smurf for so long & experienced this ?.

The Smurf is my Grail & would love it one day but i wouldn't be too impressed if it starts to tarnish a little due to the yellow gold coming through..
Old 16 January 2016, 01:42 AM   #2
brookish
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deep Blue
So long? They have only been around since around 2009 or something... Surely it shouldn't start to come through already.

Current collection: Rolex Sea-Dweller, Rolex Deepsea D-blue, Rolex 116613LB, Rolex Explorer II (black), Omega Speedmaster SS, IWC Ingenieur Chrono, Panerai PAM127, Panerai PAM328, Panerai PAM629, Panerai PAM217, Panerai PAM339, Panerai PAM341, Panerai PAM605, Panerai PAM376
brookish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2016, 01:44 AM   #3
WatchWeb
"TRF" Member

I'd like to think it's better quality or somehow thicker from Rolex but I was just curious.

Obviously jewellery I've had are rings / bracelets / chains. So not a huge chunk of gold like a watch but just wondered..
Old 16 January 2016, 01:51 AM   #4
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Yellow gold through white layer?

White gold is created by the blend of its material content.
The layer commonly placed over it (Rhodium) is to prevent/deter/slow a gradual discoloration that can and may likely will occur.
Never heard of yellow gold showing through white gold.
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2016, 01:55 AM   #5
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
the Rolex WG is the same through and through, no coatings no layers, cut it in half all the same

mine is over 5 years old ....
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2016, 02:01 AM   #6
WatchWeb
"TRF" Member

WHITE GOLD was developed as a cheaper alternative to platinum. White Gold is an alloy of pure gold with one or more other metals, such as silver, palladium and copper. In the past Nickel was used, but this can cause skin reactions so is no longer permitted in the UK.

18ct white gold is 75% pure gold, which is a rich yellow, mixed with 25% other metals, so the resulting alloy is not a clean white colour. The colour varies depending on the metals used, but it is generally a pale yellow, brown or grey. For this reason white gold jewellery is almost always rhodium-plated. When you look at a piece of white gold jewellery in a jeweller’s window, what you are seeing is not white gold itself, but a thin coating disguising the dirty off-white colour of the white gold.

Rhodium is a platinum-group metal that is very white. Unfortunately plating is so thin that it does not last long. When the plating starts to wear the white gold below will start to show through, giving the appearance of a stain appearing on the surface. With Items such as wedding rings or engagement rings that are worn continuously this may be noticed within a few months. Wear will start on the parts that are rubbed most. (Driving, carrying bags etc will wear through the rhodium on the back of a ring, whilst the top of the ring stays white for much longer.)

White gold is comparatively soft metal and it will gradually wear away. This includes claws holding gems in place. If you want your white gold jewellery polished-up, the process will remove plating. White gold jewellery can be re-plated, but this is a fairly expensive process.
Old 16 January 2016, 02:02 AM   #7
WatchWeb
"TRF" Member

Smurf owners..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
the Rolex WG is the same through and through, no coatings no layers, cut it in half all the same

Thanks , good to know 👍🏻.
Old 16 January 2016, 02:14 AM   #8
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripsjohn View Post
WHITE GOLD was developed as a cheaper alternative to platinum. White Gold is an alloy of pure gold with one or more other metals, such as silver, palladium and copper. In the past Nickel was used, but this can cause skin reactions so is no longer permitted in the UK.

18ct white gold is 75% pure gold, which is a rich yellow, mixed with 25% other metals, so the resulting alloy is not a clean white colour. The colour varies depending on the metals used, but it is generally a pale yellow, brown or grey. For this reason white gold jewellery is almost always rhodium-plated. When you look at a piece of white gold jewellery in a jeweller’s window, what you are seeing is not white gold itself, but a thin coating disguising the dirty off-white colour of the white gold.

Rhodium is a platinum-group metal that is very white. Unfortunately plating is so thin that it does not last long. When the plating starts to wear the white gold below will start to show through, giving the appearance of a stain appearing on the surface. With Items such as wedding rings or engagement rings that are worn continuously this may be noticed within a few months. Wear will start on the parts that are rubbed most. (Driving, carrying bags etc will wear through the rhodium on the back of a ring, whilst the top of the ring stays white for much longer.)

White gold is comparatively soft metal and it will gradually wear away. This includes claws holding gems in place. If you want your white gold jewellery polished-up, the process will remove plating. White gold jewellery can be re-plated, but this is a fairly expensive process.
This is true for plated wg objects. Not the case for Rolex wg watches, which have no plating.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2016, 02:15 AM   #9
raclaims
"TRF" Member

Mine is from 09 I believe and looks perfect...love it!
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2016, 02:19 AM   #10
WatchWeb
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the detailed replies . I was hoping that was the case for the price the watch costs but wasn't sure knowing the above for jewellery .

Thanks all.
Old 16 January 2016, 02:21 AM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
I knew this but a quick copy & paste from Google shows this :-

"White gold is an alloy of gold and at least one white metal, usually nickel, manganese or palladium. Like yellow gold, the purity of white gold is given in karats. White gold's properties vary depending on the metals and proportions used".

I have had white gold jewellery over the years of different karats & over time the yellow gold has started to show through the White "layer" on some pieces.

Has anyone had a Smurf for so long & experienced this ?.

The Smurf is my Grail & would love it one day but i wouldn't be too impressed if it starts to tarnish a little due to the yellow gold coming through..
Rolex 18 Kt gold is just that no matter who makes it 75% pure gold the other 25% of the alloy added is mostly copper/nickel in the yellow plus now they add a bit of silver too.As for the white gold the gold alloy is mixed with a small amount of Platinum or Palladium plus other alloys like nickel/silver to turn yellow gold into white.But its not Rhodium plated in any way, but keeps its white colour well over the years and will not yellow. And with the so called Everose gold a tiny amount of Platinum is added to the copper gold alloy mix which supposed to keep its colour over the years. And with watches like the ceramic LV at one time Rolex called it a green gold dial even on the web site,but it was soon removed as the dial was not solid gold.But its a aluminium disc coated very similar to a PVD coating with a mixture of gold power and aluminium oxide in a unknown process only known by Rolex to turn it to green gold effect.

And far as I know a Smurf was a Belgian comic and television franchise centered on a fictional colony of small blue creatures who live in mushroom-shaped houses in the forest. The Smurfs was first created and introduced as a series of comic characters by the Belgian comics artist Peyo (pen name of Pierre Culliford) in 1958, where they were known as Les Schtroumpfs. There are more than one hundred Smurf characters, and their names are based on adjectives that emphasize their characteristics, such as "Jokey Smurf", who likes to play practical jokes on his fellow smurfs. "Smurfette" was the first female Smurf to be introduced in the series. The Smurfs wear Phrygian caps, which came to represent freedom during the modern era.

The word “Smurf” is the original Dutch translation of the French "Schtroumpf", which, according to Peyo, is a word invented during a meal with fellow cartoonist André Franquin, when he could not remember the word salt.[3]

The Smurfs franchise began as a comic and expanded into advertising, films, TV series, ice capades, video games, theme parks, and dolls.The Smurfs fulfill simple archetypes of everyday people: "Lazy Smurf", "Grouchy Smurf", "Brainy Smurf", and so on. All Smurfs, with the exception of Papa, Baby, Smurfette, Nanny and Grandpa, are said to be 100 years old. There were originally 99 Smurfs, but this number increased as new Smurf characters appeared, such as Sassette and Nanny. All of the original Smurfs were male; later female additions are Smurfette and Sassette—Smurfette being Gargamel's creation, while Sassette was created by the Smurflings but as far as I know none wear Smurf watches.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2016, 02:24 AM   #12
WatchWeb
"TRF" Member

Smurf owners..

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Rolex 18 Kt gold is just that no matter who makes it 75% pure gold the other 25% of the alloy added is mostly copper/nickel in the yellow plus now they add a bit of silver too.As for the white gold the gold alloy is mixed with a small amount of Platinum or Palladium plus other alloys like nickel/silver to turn yellow gold into white.But its not Rhodium plated in any way, but keeps its white colour well over the years and will not yellow. And with the so called Everose gold a tiny amount of Platinum is added to the copper gold alloy mix which supposed to keep its colour over the years. And with watches like the ceramic LV at one time Rolex called it a green gold dial even on the web site,but it was soon removed as the dial was not solid gold.But its a aluminium disc coated very similar to a PVD coating with a mixture of gold power and aluminium oxide in a unknown process only known by Rolex to turn it to green gold effect.

And far as I know a Smurf was a Belgian comic and television franchise centered on a fictional colony of small blue creatures who live in mushroom-shaped houses in the forest. The Smurfs was first created and introduced as a series of comic characters by the Belgian comics artist Peyo (pen name of Pierre Culliford) in 1958, where they were known as Les Schtroumpfs. There are more than one hundred Smurf characters, and their names are based on adjectives that emphasize their characteristics, such as "Jokey Smurf", who likes to play practical jokes on his fellow smurfs. "Smurfette" was the first female Smurf to be introduced in the series. The Smurfs wear Phrygian caps, which came to represent freedom during the modern era.

The word “Smurf” is the original Dutch translation of the French "Schtroumpf", which, according to Peyo, is a word invented during a meal with fellow cartoonist André Franquin, when he could not remember the word salt.[3]

The Smurfs franchise began as a comic and expanded into advertising, films, TV series, ice capades, video games, theme parks, and dolls.The Smurfs fulfill simple archetypes of everyday people: "Lazy Smurf", "Grouchy Smurf", "Brainy Smurf", and so on. All Smurfs, with the exception of Papa, Baby, Smurfette, Nanny and Grandpa, are said to be 100 years old. There were originally 99 Smurfs, but this number increased as new Smurf characters appeared, such as Sassette and Nanny. All of the original Smurfs were male; later female additions are Smurfette and Sassette—Smurfette being Gargamel's creation, while Sassette was created by the Smurflings but as far as I know none wear Smurf watches.
__________________.

Lol, I have read somewhere you hate the nicknames. I do too but I can't yet (I'm sure I will over time) but currently I can never remember model numbers.

Apologies for the nickname use..
Old 16 January 2016, 02:25 AM   #13
raclaims
"TRF" Member

It's actually my second favorite rolex just behind the Platona...heheheh I don't mind the knicknames...
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2016, 03:06 AM   #14
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:

doesn't apply to Rolex WG
Old 16 January 2016, 04:05 AM   #15
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
It's a 116619LB and the white does not fade away
Old 16 January 2016, 04:09 AM   #16
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
No worries with rolex white gold
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2016, 04:23 AM   #17
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
interesting read ,,, not about the watches , about the smurfs ,, mind you , they did sing , well father abrahams did
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAQ66BKG27A
you know you want to check it out lol
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2016, 04:37 AM   #18
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Mine is a V series which puts it ~2010 and it is the exact same color as the brand new random serial# sitting at my local AD. As for 18K gold being soft, that is not true. It's Vickers hardness rating is ~160, Platinum is ~125, 316L SS is ~150, and 904L steel used in Rolex watches is ~200. These are catalog numbers and each metal can be hardened even more by various methods such as tempering. My guess is that only Rolex has the "real" numbers as I don't see anyone sacrificing a link just to see hard the metal is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0274.jpg (99.0 KB, 435 views)
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2016, 04:41 AM   #19
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=452142

/ thread.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2016, 05:16 AM   #20
Paul_81
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp 2 polar white
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post

Not looking great that time to give me a go on it lol
Paul_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2016, 05:19 AM   #21
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_81 View Post
Not looking great that time to give me a go on it lol
Old 16 January 2016, 05:58 AM   #22
Rolex addict
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
????? This is a link to a for sale ad.
Old 16 January 2016, 06:24 AM   #23
Kneecough
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
????? This is a link to a for sale ad.
I believe it was posted to show a nearly 50 year old white gold Rolex which has no "yellow gold showing through".
Kneecough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2016, 07:07 AM   #24
Rolex addict
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneecough View Post
I believe it was posted to show a nearly 50 year old white gold Rolex which has no "yellow gold showing through".
Ahhh, that makes sense. Thanks.
Old 16 January 2016, 07:55 AM   #25
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I think you are clear for target lock on your grail, sir.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2016, 08:05 AM   #26
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
Ahhh, that makes sense. Thanks.
he got it
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2016, 08:23 AM   #27
Rolex addict
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
he got it
You'll have to forgive me. I've been working long hours the past several days, been sick for almost two weeks, and sleep is......wait, what is this mysterious thing called sleep??
Old 16 January 2016, 08:29 AM   #28
Paul_81
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp 2 polar white
I need to try one of them on I think.......or is that a bad thing to do?
Paul_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2016, 09:34 AM   #29
Daytona88
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5712
WG Rolex is great because it does not Rhodium plate, unlike many others (ie. Cartier). I heard that they use platinum, rather than nickel in order to achieve a whiter white and forego the plating, which looks great for the first few years then needs to be replated.
Daytona88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2016, 10:05 AM   #30
Rolex addict
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_81 View Post
I need to try one of them on I think.......or is that a bad thing to do?
Great for you, but really bad for your bank account!!