The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 January 2018, 01:19 AM   #31
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
The subject of stickers does pop up from time to time...whether it's really a "rule" or not, I don't know.

Maybe it's one of those "rules" that is not really a rule. As in, nobody follows it, it's not uniformly enforced, or people selectively follow it on occasions that suit them.

Either way, congrats on the new watch...and post some pics.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 01:22 AM   #32
phez
"TRF" Member

Watch: PT DD40 Ice Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipseys View Post
Hi looking for some advice please.
I am collecting a new piece this evening to add to my collection and am very excited.
I really want to try and keep it as new, but the dealer will not release the watch with the stickers on. They are saying that this is a Rolex rule.
Is this true.
I have never had this with PP or Tudor , but this is the first new Rolex that I have purchased in a long time

Thx
Scott
My AD in the UK has said removing stickers and even retaining the Guarantee Card is a Rolex instruction.

Having said that, as I am a respected customer, and they know I won’t immediately flip for a profit. I walked out with my SkyDweller intact and still in its “coffin” with the box and card as a separate parcel
Grand Seiko GMT blue dial and blue GMT hand
phez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 01:45 AM   #33
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Would Rolex really take away an AD's status for something like not peeling off stickers? That's unbelievable! I mean, if it's really presenting a problem, give them a slap on the wrist and a stern warning, but if a retail location is making you money, I would think you let them continue to bring in the profits.
pilotjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 02:07 AM   #34
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
There would appear to be rather too many reports of AD's saying that Rolex are insisting on their removing stickers and retaining Warranty Cards for it to be a pure coincidence...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My info comes from two AD's (one of which is Aurum group and one of which is independent) and from Rolex reps directly. It is absolutely not Rolex UK official policy to insist on destickering and retaining warranty cards to prevent flipping. That is entirely the individual AD's policy.

Don't forget that the card is also the Chronometer Certificate. Are you suggetsing that Rolex UK are instructing their dealers to sell Officially Certified Superlative Chronometers without the certificate?

AD's in the UK are under pressure from Rolex UK to prevent immediate flipping to grey dealers. They are being told to vet their customer base. If the AD's say "its Rolex policy" its easier for them to deal with potentially irate customers complaining about this. Its also harder for those customers to complain in the first place. Simply, it gives the AD's an easier ride while doing what the ADs feel they need to to protect themselves.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 02:17 AM   #35
Beckster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
I guess I could live with them removing the stickers but retain the warranty card as well? That's quite harsh I'm my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 January 2018, 02:36 AM   #36
adg31
"TRF" Member

New Rolex Stickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
My info comes from two AD's (one of which is Aurum group and one of which is independent) and from Rolex reps directly. It is absolutely not Rolex UK official policy to insist on destickering and retaining warranty cards to prevent flipping. That is entirely the individual AD's policy.

Don't forget that the card is also the Chronometer Certificate. Are you suggetsing that Rolex UK are instructing their dealers to sell Officially Certified Superlative Chronometers without the certificate?

AD's in the UK are under pressure from Rolex UK to prevent immediate flipping to grey dealers. They are being told to vet their customer base. If the AD's say "its Rolex policy" its easier for them to deal with potentially irate customers complaining about this. Its also harder for those customers to complain in the first place. Simply, it gives the AD's an easier ride while doing what the ADs feel they need to to protect themselves.

I'm not saying anything, it's the AD's that appear to be saying that they have been told to remove the stickers and hold onto the card for 12 months.
Given the number reportedly saying this is Rolex policy the AD network are either acting together in a global conspiracy to deprive customers of a few pence worth of stickers - or there would appear to be some possibility of there being a policy in place?
As for the Rolex chronometer certificate it's hardly a COSC certificate since it gives you neither measurements nor access to measurements.

adg31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 02:36 AM   #37
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
New Rolex Stickers

I’d be happy not to have to pull all 50 stickers off. I always end up missing one. Posted pics of my 116506 here, and only then noticed where I had missed a sticker on one of the lugs.

Sealed Pateks, cardboard boxes, Rolex stickers... I’m not saying anyone else is wrong for their opinion, but I just don’t get it. I buy all of my watches to wear.

bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 02:40 AM   #38
tng11
"TRF" Member

Every time I've bought a Rolex from my AD, they have asked if I would like them to remove the stickers for my convenience if I wanted to wear it out of the shop. I declined, and that was the end of that discussion.

IMO, being concerned with sticker removal should be the least of Rolex's concerns with in combating the grey market. I've noticed some re-sellers now simply state that the AD removed the stickers and that the watch is still BNIB, with no impact on price.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 02:49 AM   #39
adg31
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Every time I've bought a Rolex from my AD, they have asked if I would like them to remove the stickers for my convenience if I wanted to wear it out of the shop. I declined, and that was the end of that discussion.

IMO, being concerned with sticker removal should be the least of Rolex's concerns with in combating the grey market. I've noticed some re-sellers now simply state that the AD removed the stickers and that the watch is still BNIB, with no impact on price.

In my view this, allied to the random serial numbers, makes it far more risky for the grey market buyer - which I guess Rolex would see as a good thing. However, if it harms the resale market there is always the risk that residual values will fall which possibly won't help Rolex in the long term.

Old 12 January 2018, 02:53 AM   #40
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
I'm not saying anything, it's the AD's that appear to be saying that they have been told to remove the stickers and hold onto the card for 12 months.
Given the number reportedly saying this is Rolex policy the AD network are either acting together in a global conspiracy to deprive customers of a few pence worth of stickers - or there would appear to be some possibility of there being a policy in place?

There is an official Rolex sticker removal policy in the US. (a copy of the letter to AD's has been posted on here by Ken (HL65) if I remember correctly).

Given that the majority of active contributors to the forum are from the US, its going to be a subject that comes up often.

Unless something has changed in the last couple of months I can assure you (as much as one can on the internet) that warranty card retention and sticker removal is not something that Rolex UK has instructed its AD network to do.

Pop into any AD in the UK tomorrow and buy a DJ from the window and I'm pretty certain you'd walk out with stickers and warranty card.

There's a reson that some UK AD's are doing it as I posted on the other thread I linked above. Its worth a read

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 03:17 AM   #41
adg31
"TRF" Member

New Rolex Stickers

Quote:
Pop into any AD in the UK tomorrow and buy a DJ from the window and I'm pretty certain you'd walk out with stickers and warranty card.
I'm not sure that anyone has said it applies to anything away from the scarcer SS sports models - Datejust supply / demand doesn't seem to be an issue as there is no premium if flipping.

Old 12 January 2018, 03:35 AM   #42
Canefan1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
It is and has been a newer policy by Rolex USA (can’t speak to other countries) and clearly some AD's follow and some don't. The risk is of course Rolex finds out and the AD loses his status.
Blue Marlin in Islamorada,FL adheres to this RUSA policy. The owner would not let me leave the store with stickers on the Air King and said exactly what you wrote. It’s all good with me.
Canefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 03:37 AM   #43
Canefan1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotjim View Post
Would Rolex really take away an AD's status for something like not peeling off stickers? That's unbelievable! I mean, if it's really presenting a problem, give them a slap on the wrist and a stern warning, but if a retail location is making you money, I would think you let them continue to bring in the profits.
Rolex is the Boss.
Canefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 03:43 AM   #44
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

I'm starting up a new business.......STICKER FLIPPPING!
Old 12 January 2018, 03:43 AM   #45
adg31
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canefan1 View Post
Rolex is the Boss.

The Rolex way or the highway...

Old 12 January 2018, 03:47 AM   #46
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canefan1 View Post
Rolex is the Boss.
I'm sure....just wondering if any AD has actually experienced this punishment.
Old 12 January 2018, 03:48 AM   #47
scotiasteve74
"TRF" Member

Both my Hulk and Batman have had stickers on when I purchased, although it is the policy of the AD to remove them to stop flipping.

They also told me that if they were flipped I would not receive another and Rolex/AD check these on local sites from time to time.

For me, if I own the watch, I would want to wear. However if I didn't like it I would sell, taking the stickers off is enjoyable.

From an AD point of view, if they sell and their watches are flipped, I'd imagine they would be very less likely to sell you another, so if you plan on buying more Rolex products keep that in mind.

Overall though, if someone tried to keep my warranty card, stickers or any case candy, I would walk away, another would turn up sooner or later.
scotiasteve74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 03:52 AM   #48
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Mate, you obviously have "flipperface", the AD can smell your nefarious intentions...

But seriously it's common practice here now on popular models so don't let that stand in your way.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 03:53 AM   #49
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
There is an official Rolex sticker removal policy in the US. (a copy of the letter to AD's has been posted on here by Ken (HL65) if I remember correctly).

Given that the majority of active contributors to the forum are from the US, its going to be a subject that comes up often.

Unless something has changed in the last couple of months I can assure you (as much as one can on the internet) that warranty card retention and sticker removal is not something that Rolex UK has instructed its AD network to do.

There's a reson that some UK AD's are doing it as I posted on the other thread I linked above. Its worth a read
You buy a DJ now and I hear they give you a free massage from any one of the four sales ladies who are standing around idle all day.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 03:54 AM   #50
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotiasteve74 View Post
Both my Hulk and Batman have had stickers on when I purchased, although it is the policy of the AD to remove them to stop flipping.

They also told me that if they were flipped I would not receive another and Rolex/AD check these on local sites from time to time.

For me, if I own the watch, I would want to wear. However if I didn't like it I would sell, taking the stickers off is enjoyable.

From an AD point of view, if they sell and their watches are flipped, I'd imagine they would be very less likely to sell you another, so if you plan on buying more Rolex products keep that in mind.

Overall though, if someone tried to keep my warranty card, stickers or any case candy, I would walk away, another would turn up sooner or later.
How would they know it was your watch?
Old 12 January 2018, 03:56 AM   #51
Rlxlvr1
"TRF" Member

I’d think if you buy at msrp than you should be able to do and keep whatever.... if you buy for some percentage off then AD should remove tags, stickers, price and other goodies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rlxlvr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 03:59 AM   #52
lee fowler
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT
Big congrats and it will compliment the 1680 as well and as mentioned does wear smaller. Mine say Hi.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2590a.jpg (194.2 KB, 176 views)

Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 04:05 AM   #53
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Good post. Thanks!

Quote:
You'll find some insight on the subject in my thread here

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=571648
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 04:09 AM   #54
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Beautiful collection of red!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee fowler View Post
Big congrats and it will compliment the 1680 as well and as mentioned does wear smaller. Mine say Hi.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 04:16 AM   #55
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Makes zero sense to me.

You either buy the watch because you intend to keep it (at least for a while) or you buy it intending to flip and make a profit. If you’re in the former group, having the stickers removed for you will either make no difference to you or it will piss you off. If you’re in the latter group you’re not suddenly going to decide to keep a watch you always intended to profiteer from just because it lacks stickers. There are 2-year old LVc’s that are very much stickerless selling for more than 20% above list on Chrono 24. How much of a dent in resale value will a lack of stickers make? A percentage point or two? Nothing that will discourage the flipper.

So removing the stickers is of no benefit to the AD and it might piss a customer off. Am I missing something?
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 04:32 AM   #56
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Makes zero sense to me.

You either buy the watch because you intend to keep it (at least for a while) or you buy it intending to flip and make a profit. If you’re in the former group, having the stickers removed for you will either make no difference to you or it will piss you off. If you’re in the latter group you’re not suddenly going to decide to keep a watch you always intended to profiteer from just because it lacks stickers. There are 2-year old LVc’s that are very much stickerless selling for more than 20% above list on Chrono 24. How much of a dent in resale value will a lack of stickers make? A percentage point or two? Nothing that will discourage the flipper.

So removing the stickers is of no benefit to the AD and it might piss a customer off. Am I missing something?
Agree. I don't even understand why Rolex would care about people buying and selling their watches in secondary markets when they are not making enough to satisfy demand.
Old 12 January 2018, 04:34 AM   #57
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

My last two watches the AD insisted to take stickers off (or the sale want going to happen!!)
I think it’s really annoying since stickers are technically part of the sale!!
DoctorA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 05:25 AM   #58
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
My last two watches the AD insisted to take stickers off (or the sale want going to happen!!)
I think it’s really annoying since stickers are technically part of the sale!!
No, I think they’re making it very clear that the stickers are not part of the sale. That’s the point. :-)

If they were advertised online as “stickers included” and yours arrived without, it would be a different situation.

They actually arrive from Rolex in transparent plastic shipping coffins, and the dealer assembles the “package” including box, warranty card, holder, etc at the time of sale.

Dealers leave the stickers on to avoid handling marks showing up on watches in the display case.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 05:34 AM   #59
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipseys View Post
Hi looking for some advice please.
I am collecting a new piece this evening to add to my collection and am very excited.
I really want to try and keep it as new, but the dealer will not release the watch with the stickers on. They are saying that this is a Rolex rule.
Is this true.
I have never had this with PP or Tudor , but this is the first new Rolex that I have purchased in a long time

Thx
Scott
Don't believe them Scott! That is a self-made policy and has nothing to do with Rolex!
rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 05:44 AM   #60
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I have no intention to flip but I would have to think hard if they didn't let me leave with the stickers on. It allows me to keep it "fresh" for that much longer and save new scratches for X amount of time. I honestly may walk if ever in that situation, just my 2 cents. Its sad because if the market turns tomorrow and they are begging for sales and the greys are lower then the AD's like the good ole days then WATCH how fast they keep the stickers on if you ask!