The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 January 2018, 06:05 AM   #61
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Makes zero sense to me.

You either buy the watch because you intend to keep it (at least for a while) or you buy it intending to flip and make a profit. If you’re in the former group, having the stickers removed for you will either make no difference to you or it will piss you off. If you’re in the latter group you’re not suddenly going to decide to keep a watch you always intended to profiteer from just because it lacks stickers. There are 2-year old LVc’s that are very much stickerless selling for more than 20% above list on Chrono 24. How much of a dent in resale value will a lack of stickers make? A percentage point or two? Nothing that will discourage the flipper.

So removing the stickers is of no benefit to the AD and it might piss a customer off. Am I missing something?
For a while the greys were charging a premium for stickered watches and the perception was they were somehow better than unstickered ones. Basically stickered were easier to flip.

Now that ADs have caught on to that, the greys are changing their sales policy to say that unstickered or stickered makes no difference to maintain their margins.

But I’d bet that you’d still get more money from a grey for a stickered watch than a non stickered one.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 06:16 AM   #62
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
Bought last night from a very well known AD no stickers removed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 06:17 AM   #63
hothothaven
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, Pam 685
My AD asked me if I wanted to have them remove the stickers or do it myself. I did it myself and they didn't mention a thing. Although I had the back engraved with a message from my wife, so I am guessing they had no fear of flipping.
hothothaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 06:20 AM   #64
Montybaber
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
This was the case when i bought my Sub and the stickers were not discussed at all, they were removed before I arrived at the AD

Lucky that I am not obsessed by these crazy WIS ocd rituals/behaviours, they are stickers and go in the bin :)
Montybaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 06:25 AM   #65
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
For a while the greys were charging a premium for stickered watches and the perception was they were somehow better than unstickered ones. Basically stickered were easier to flip.

Now that ADs have caught on to that, the greys are changing their sales policy to say that unstickered or stickered makes no difference to maintain their margins.

But I’d bet that you’d still get more money from a grey for a stickered watch than a non stickered one.
I’m sure you’re right. The bit I don’t get is that it makes no odds to the AD. The flipper still flips. He just makes a bit less profit.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 06:42 AM   #66
Pauljf
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk
Picked up new hulk in Newcastle barcode sticker removed ad said Rolex mandate. Over the moon with watch and will wear and enjoy though somehow feel aware of the unprotected side with it being brand new. No doubt the novelty will wear off
Pauljf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 07:02 AM   #67
JCC296
2024 Pledge Member

It is a new (not so new, been going on for 3-4 months now) Rolex rule.
JCC296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 07:28 AM   #68
Hoppyjr
"TRF" Member

I imagine it’s an attempt to step on the resellers of “new in box with stickers” Rolex watches. My AD did the same.

Wearing a watch with stickers on it seems like wearing clothes with the tags still on them. Silly.
Hoppyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 08:19 AM   #69
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Makes zero sense to me.

You either buy the watch because you intend to keep it (at least for a while) or you buy it intending to flip and make a profit. If you’re in the former group, having the stickers removed for you will either make no difference to you or it will piss you off. If you’re in the latter group you’re not suddenly going to decide to keep a watch you always intended to profiteer from just because it lacks stickers. There are 2-year old LVc’s that are very much stickerless selling for more than 20% above list on Chrono 24. How much of a dent in resale value will a lack of stickers make? A percentage point or two? Nothing that will discourage the flipper.

So removing the stickers is of no benefit to the AD and it might piss a customer off. Am I missing something?
It's a changing market, the premiums have shot up over the last few months on some models whereas the no stickers policy was implemented early last year to curb flipping new pieces which were then the only ones you could really profit from, esp the D500 and DB.

For ADs there is no point changing this policy now even if greys can circumvent this a little, and they will just look to Rolex like they are not trying to curb the grey market which will be very detrimental going forward as I'm sure a few ADs are going to be chopped in this lower supply and waiting lists only future.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 08:26 AM   #70
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by rominvicta View Post
Don't believe them Scott! That is a self-made policy and has nothing to do with Rolex!
Not really true, ADs are under huge pressure from Rolex to stop their watches ending up at greys so they are doing whatever they can, and what they think will keep Rolex happy, even if not an official dictat from Rolex UK yet.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 08:39 AM   #71
Steerpike999
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Too bad, Something I have enjoyed in the past, is wearing my x month old Rolex and finding a sticker I have missed somewhere on the bracelet or clasp. its the little things.

Down under, never had this issue, AD has offered to remove in the past, but now know not to ask anymore as its something I like to do.

Last edited by Steerpike999; 12 January 2018 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: Can't spell!!
Steerpike999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 08:43 AM   #72
Swashplate
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
I personally love removing the stickers from a new Rolex. It’s a right of passage and let’s me have some quiet focus time on every part of my new watch. I went through two of these rituals with two new Rolex models this year and loved every minute of it.

So much this! Make it yours.
Swashplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 08:53 AM   #73
bmrisko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many...
My preferred AD always gives them to me still in the coffin and untouched.
bmrisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 09:27 AM   #74
Pauljf
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk
AD calling shots. If you refuse a model like the hulk over stickers the next man on the long list will snap it up. At £6600 and first name on warranty card it’s a no brainer for me as the watch will be worn and enjoyed
Pauljf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 09:33 AM   #75
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee fowler View Post
Big congrats and it will compliment the 1680 as well and as mentioned does wear smaller. Mine say Hi.
Oh gosh Lee
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 09:35 AM   #76
rallyx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Holly's Lady DJ
It's an AD practice. My AD will remove the stickers unless requested not to.
rallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 10:17 AM   #77
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
No, I think they’re making it very clear that the stickers are not part of the sale. That’s the point. :-)

If they were advertised online as “stickers included” and yours arrived without, it would be a different situation.

They actually arrive from Rolex in transparent plastic shipping coffins, and the dealer assembles the “package” including box, warranty card, holder, etc at the time of sale.

Dealers leave the stickers on to avoid handling marks showing up on watches in the display case.
That’s like when I buy a bag of potato chips and the super market opens the bag and gives me the chips in my hand they too don’t advertise that the “bag” is part of the sale
DoctorA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 10:52 AM   #78
lahainabry
"TRF" Member

My last purchase was in November, All of the stickers were still on the watch.
They asked if I would like them removed, I said no.
Walked out with all stickers intact.
lahainabry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 10:54 AM   #79
49ers101hitters
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, 2xDJ, Zenith
Would you buy a car with stickers on? I think not!

Old 12 January 2018, 10:59 AM   #80
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
That’s like when I buy a bag of potato chips and the super market opens the bag and gives me the chips in my hand they too don’t advertise that the “bag” is part of the sale
Pretty tortured analogy. If you think taking shipping stickers off a Rolex and dumping potato chips in someone’s hand are the same, then I guess you win.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 11:23 AM   #81
RolexNorth
Banned

Watch: YM2SS,SD43,HULK
I have a question about the warrantee card retention issue.............

They say that if you're travelling with a Rolex, to avoid any border-customs issues, one should carry the warrantee card as proof of ownership, as well as proof of country where the watch was purchased.

So if the AD keeps the card for a year, how do you travel with the watch should an issue with customs arise????????
RolexNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 11:37 AM   #82
off
"TRF" Member

Watch: DaytonaC & GMT
The majority of us here get these pieces to enjoy. It's a matter of principal, why should a AD dictate what can and can't be kept? Especially when buying a luxury item.

And Rolex should be happy they are moving all the non SS sport pieces through the power of the gray market.
off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 11:40 AM   #83
mr.president1
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX OMEGA
I’ve bought multiple new rolexes from the AD case, and to be honest not all of the stickers were on them to begin with. Some were and some weren’t on the wataches I bought. Personally, I didn’t care, and BNIB shouldn’t mean having all the stickers for you to successfully re sell it Any ways

ROLEX & OMEGA
mr.president1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 11:55 AM   #84
bmrisko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ers101hitters View Post
Would you buy a car with stickers on? I think not!

I wouldn't even let the dealer detail mine...I let them do the PDI that involved anything safety/mechanical related, but left all stickers, exterior panel protectors, interior covers, etc intact and drove it home like that, just as it came off the transport truck.
bmrisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 12:05 PM   #85
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydav2306 View Post
They let me keep everything with my BLNR, stickers on, all tags and price tag and even gave me the coffin it was shipped in
This was my experience purchasing my BLNR at an AD in May of 2017. Maybe things have changed since then.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 12:08 PM   #86
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Why would you want the stickers on the watch unless you are a reseller. End of story.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 12:54 PM   #87
shabaang
Banned

the dealer is correct, they do this so you can't resell it as new. Some dealers will let you get away with it, I think it depends on the relationship. They could get in deep trouble though since rolex has sent out a memo specifically telling ADs to remove stickers.

Best thing you can do is ask them to let YOU remove them yourself. This shouldn't be an issue.
shabaang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 01:01 PM   #88
49ers101hitters
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, 2xDJ, Zenith
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
I wouldn't even let the dealer detail mine...I let them do the PDI that involved anything safety/mechanical related, but left all stickers, exterior panel protectors, interior covers, etc intact and drove it home like that, just as it came off the transport truck.

I agree about not letting the dealer detail your car, but don’t you just take all the stickers off anyway when you get home? My point is that it makes no difference because the outcome is the same.
Old 12 January 2018, 01:35 PM   #89
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Taking the stickers off to me is a bit of a pain. Of course I’ll do it if I buy new from a trusted seller, but at an AD, for the price I pay I want them to remove the stickers.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 05:50 PM   #90
shipseys
"TRF" Member

Update

So it seems that I have created a thread unnecessarily..although I have very much enjoyed reading all the posts!
AD last night couldnt have been nicer and I walked out with everything intact including the transport box and warranty card.
I have purchased from there before and was showing them pics of my other pieces.
I dealt with a different guy and he was very knowledgeable and also very accomodating.
So I have the SD43 and have the job later of having some time to myself to size, desticker and polish .. I will post pics when I get that done .. just mad busy.

Then have a message this am that a 5513 that I have been after for ages has come up .. like buses!
Nicer problem to have though.
Thanks for all the advice
Scott
shipseys is offline   Reply With Quote