The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX


Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 September 2018, 05:01 AM   #31
BT1985
2018 DAYTONA Pledge Member
 
BT1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 767
I'm seeing lot of 'Its on display but dealer won't sell unless...' threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
MSRP - is just that, manufacturers suggested retail price.

The AD is totally free to set the price they want. Otherwise itís called price fixing.

They have zero legal obligation to sell anyone that watch. The only reason they could be in trouble legally is if they refused to serve a particular customer on the basis of discrimination.


Rolex will pull their inventory if they sell over MSRP. If they could sell for over list then they would and there would be no grey market. You are right about that they do not have to sell it, but they canít go over list. Thatís why it would be problematic for them to maintain possession of a dropped watch.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BT1985 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 05:02 AM   #32
edd26
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Real Name: Eduard
Location: Romania
Watch: 16570, 16600
Posts: 60
[QUOTE=stash21;8900304]Why not just buy both and then later return the PM model unworn for a refund. Sure consumer law in most countries allows this.[/QUOT.


agree
edd26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 05:07 AM   #33
BT1985
2018 DAYTONA Pledge Member
 
BT1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwisgaar View Post
I just left an AD in Greensboro that was perfectly happy to sell me a black dial SkyDweller, a ceramic Daytona, or any of their two Subs and I had never even been there before. I have a Pepsi coming this week but I said I would tell some friends. Call Schiffman's and ask for Brian.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk


I think everyone is calling Brian in Greensboro now....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BT1985 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 05:20 AM   #34
beshannon
2018 Pledge Member
 
beshannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Real Name: Brian
Location: Northern Virginia
Watch: Patek 5711
Posts: 9,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkim1027 View Post
I think I would have more chance of winning if I bring it to court...I tried to pay for the watch that was for sale but they declined to sell and asked for more than MSRP or only charged for repair?


All this to get a hold of a piece of high end of luxury jewelry?
__________________

Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Patek 5711/1A-011, Rolex Cosmograph 116520, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, Tudor Heritage Black Bay Bronze, Glashutte Senator Exellence
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 05:23 AM   #35
Burlington
"TRF" Member
 
Burlington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT1985 View Post
Rolex will pull their inventory if they sell over MSRP. If they could sell for over list then they would and there would be no grey market. You are right about that they do not have to sell it, but they canít go over list. Thatís why it would be problematic for them to maintain possession of a dropped watch.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I'm sure that would be the case, but legally they could sell at over, or under if they chose to.

Bundling hot pieces with a PM model is their way of effectively doing the same thing whilst maintaining Rolex's expectations at the point of sale.

If a watch was maliciously dropped, I'm sure they would press charges and seek damages to cover the repair bill, then sell it pre owned via a grey dealer.

If it was accidentally dropped and sufficiently damaged then I expect they would have insurance to cover this, and/ or back to Rolex to be repaired. I would expect in this case then to be re-sold as BNIB. As Rolex dictates the watches history and as it hadn't yet sold, they could repair/ mend as needed. It would presumably be the same as if one was dropped inside the factory during the final QC checks.
__________________
ďMy tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.Ē

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 05:25 AM   #36
jkim1027
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: US
Watch: 114060, 16013
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post


All this to get a hold of a piece of high end of luxury jewelry?
Well, its just a stupid thought I had
jkim1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 05:25 AM   #37
maximus1
2018 Pledge Member
 
maximus1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Real Name: Don
Location: Bay area CA
Watch: 16613
Posts: 214
What type of person would consider damaging others property in order to make a purchase?
maximus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 05:26 AM   #38
beshannon
2018 Pledge Member
 
beshannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Real Name: Brian
Location: Northern Virginia
Watch: Patek 5711
Posts: 9,673
:wtf:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkim1027 View Post
well, its just a stupid thought i had


QFT!
__________________

Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Patek 5711/1A-011, Rolex Cosmograph 116520, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, Tudor Heritage Black Bay Bronze, Glashutte Senator Exellence
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 05:27 AM   #39
jkim1027
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: US
Watch: 114060, 16013
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
Yes I'm sure that would be the case, but legally they could sell at over, or under if they chose to.

Bundling hot pieces with a PM model is their way of effectively doing the same thing whilst maintaining Rolex's expectations at the point of sale.

If a watch was maliciously dropped, I'm sure they would press charges and seek damages to cover the repair bill, then sell it pre owned via a grey dealer.

If it was accidentally dropped and sufficiently damaged then I expect they would have insurance to cover this, and/ or back to Rolex to be repaired. I would expect in this case then to be re-sold as BNIB. As Rolex dictates the watches history and as it hadn't yet sold, they could repair/ mend as needed. It would presumably be the same as if one was dropped inside the factory during the final QC checks.
Wouldn't you rather sell than to lose AD qualification?
jkim1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 05:29 AM   #40
BT1985
2018 DAYTONA Pledge Member
 
BT1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
Yes I'm sure that would be the case, but legally they could sell at over, or under if they chose to.



Bundling hot pieces with a PM model is their way of effectively doing the same thing whilst maintaining Rolex's expectations at the point of sale.



If a watch was maliciously dropped, I'm sure they would press charges and seek damages to cover the repair bill, then sell it pre owned via a grey dealer.



If it was accidentally dropped and sufficiently damaged then I expect they would have insurance to cover this, and/ or back to Rolex to be repaired. I would expect in this case then to be re-sold as BNIB. As Rolex dictates the watches history and as it hadn't yet sold, they could repair/ mend as needed. It would presumably be the same as if one was dropped inside the factory during the final QC checks.


Yea good call on insurance claim and grey is probably the most logical route. I get the packaging as a way to effectively sell over MSRP. My point is I donít think they can use it for that purpose once it has need repaired for a drop. How would you like to get a dropped watch after shelling out for a PM reference also to get it?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BT1985 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 05:32 AM   #41
thomaspp
2018 DAYTONA Pledge Member
 
thomaspp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: N/A
Posts: 10,799
Funny... ADs are businesses that want to make money just like any other business.

Either the practice of bundling is accepted or Rolex should just jack up the prices of in demand watches. I favor the second option which is more transparent at least


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Instagram: @watches_anonymous
thomaspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 05:32 AM   #42
BT1985
2018 DAYTONA Pledge Member
 
BT1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus1 View Post
What type of person would consider damaging others property in order to make a purchase?


I donít think (I hope) he isnít actually considering this or advocating for it. Itís actually an interesting hypothetical which is way more enjoyable to discuss than which watch is more scarce...this AD told me this rumor...etc...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BT1985 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 05:33 AM   #43
jkim1027
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: US
Watch: 114060, 16013
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT1985 View Post
I don’t think (I hope) he isn’t actually considering this or advocating for it. It’s actually an interesting hypothetical which is way more enjoyable to discuss than which watch is more scarce...this AD told me this rumor...etc...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
saw it on other post...
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=625730
jkim1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 05:40 AM   #44
Burlington
"TRF" Member
 
Burlington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT1985 View Post
How would you like to get a dropped watch after shelling out for a PM reference also to get it?
The problem is the history of the watch up until you get the warranty card and take ownership is invisible to the end customer and the AD even. Look at the people who buy brand new only for the watch to need to go straight back for repairs under warranty...who knows what may have happened to them en-route to the showroom floor.

It's the watch equivalent of a chef dropping your steak on the floor then still serving it. I'm led to believe it happens far more than you would want to know !!
__________________
ďMy tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.Ē

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 06:25 AM   #45
BT1985
2018 DAYTONA Pledge Member
 
BT1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
The problem is the history of the watch up until you get the warranty card and take ownership is invisible to the end customer and the AD even. Look at the people who buy brand new only for the watch to need to go straight back for repairs under warranty...who knows what may have happened to them en-route to the showroom floor.



It's the watch equivalent of a chef dropping your steak on the floor then still serving it. I'm led to believe it happens far more than you would want to know !!


Yikes


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BT1985 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 06:33 AM   #46
Bxtek
"TRF" Member
 
Bxtek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: CA
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flstfirider View Post
A local Tudor dealer had the whole 2018 line in non working samples shortly after the new models were announced. There were also several threads several months ago re. Rolex launch events that had non working samples.

With regard to dealers not selling their display watches, are you sure they are functions models?
This is kind of off the main topic, but what happens to these non-working display units? Do they eventually get sold? Do they get sent back to Rolex, have movements installed and then sold? From what I understand, these displays are a real watches minus the movements. I think it would be cool to collect these!
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


*Banner Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2018, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.