The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 October 2018, 04:00 AM   #1
iamjakekim
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060 & 16610
RSC NYC - 20 mins visit and saw 3 ppl complain

Was there for maybe like 20 mins this Friday. I waited in the "lounge" for most.

What really shocked me was that there were like 4-5 folks who walked in shortly after I did and 3 of them were there because their newly serviced watch wasn't "good enough".

One guy was complaining about his watch losing time (he said he paid close to 1k for servicing) and the other two weren't happy with their serviced watches.

Once again, 20 mins there and I already saw 3 folks coming back for potential issues, which I personally think is absurd.

Oh I made a visit to obtain a quote for replacing a pearl in Sub C (they call it lumi dot?), and they said they have to replace the whole bezel insert. Thought they now have a tool to replace the pearl but they seem to have no idea about the tool.

Have you all been happy with RSC services?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
iamjakekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 05:02 AM   #2
DahMan
Banned

Walk , no run, away from there, or you will might be back, again and again.
I had an Omega serviced in Miami, they transposed the hands, and didn’t believe me, until I showed them, the catalog picture, then another 9 weeks....
DahMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 05:21 AM   #3
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
They should just replace the pearl, costs around £100 if memory serves, the insert is around £300.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 05:38 AM   #4
iamjakekim
"TRF" Member

The pearl on my watch is still intact...it's just a small crack. Am I willing to pay $100-200? Absolutely!

Am I willing to get my 2 year old watch serviced to get the pearl replaced (RSC technician said he can only replace it if the watch gets serviced)? Hell NO.20181014_153616.jpeg

Old 15 October 2018, 05:41 AM   #5
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjakekim View Post
Was there for maybe like 20 mins this Friday. I waited in the "lounge" for most.

What really shocked me was that there were like 4-5 folks who walked in shortly after I did and 3 of them were there because their newly serviced watch wasn't "good enough".

One guy was complaining about his watch losing time (he said he paid close to 1k for servicing) and the other two weren't happy with their serviced watches.

Once again, 20 mins there and I already saw 3 folks coming back for potential issues, which I personally think is absurd.

Oh I made a visit to obtain a quote for replacing a pearl in Sub C (they call it lumi dot?), and they said they have to replace the whole bezel insert. Thought they now have a tool to replace the pearl but they seem to have no idea about the tool.

There is another RSC in Dallas that has a much higher customer satisfaction rate. Forget NYC.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 05:44 AM   #6
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
As far as the complaints, the NYC RSC gets a lot.
I'd rather ship to Dallas than walk in at NY.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 05:49 AM   #7
iamjakekim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
As far as the complaints, the NYC RSC gets a lot.
I'd rather ship to Dallas than walk in at NY.
Got you. Was not sure if what I saw was normal but I guess it is.

I am just paranoid shipping my watch after seeing posts about lost/missing watches etc.

Do RSC Dallas provide a prepaid label?

Old 15 October 2018, 05:54 AM   #8
albmich
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4k
Yeah man RSC NYC sucks. I personally have had to take my SD4k back 3 times for ongoing issues. Had a water leak off the HEV. got it back and noticed smudges and scratched hands. Got the hands replaced and now there’s debris/dust on the dial and under the crystal. Just a headache. Send to Dallas
albmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 06:00 AM   #9
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
When I was ready to have my BLRO 16710 serviced I looked at both the NYC (close to me in NJ) RSC and the Dallas RSC. Because of all the horror stories about NYC I chose to send my Rolex to Dallas. Very happy I did!
Old 15 October 2018, 06:04 AM   #10
JCZ5
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Yeah customer service is not as great due to volume. Should not be an excuse, but...

I was there a couple of weeks ago getting the watch sized and they said I can only get it sized twice. Meaning if I asked to take a link out too far, I can’t go back to the original adjustment, they do t have the time to go back and forth, once lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JCZ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 06:07 AM   #11
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Knock on wood, have used them many times since 1994 and never a concern.
Old 15 October 2018, 06:08 AM   #12
iamjakekim
"TRF" Member

Oh wow. I had no idea about NYC RSC. I guess I will be sending my watches to Dallas.

Old 15 October 2018, 06:11 AM   #13
fixinbones
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118206
I never would have thought to take my watches to Tourneau but I have had great luck with them. My wife had her white gold DD fully serviced there a few years ago without my knowledge. When I inspected the watch after servicing the case and bracelet refinishing was spectacular without any over polishing and watch has been running flawlessly. I just had my platinum DD serviced last year and again amazing refinishing job on case and bracelet and runs like a gem.
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 06:22 AM   #14
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
My experience has been zero satisfaction and outright deceit from RSCNY.

In a word, disgusting.
Old 15 October 2018, 06:29 AM   #15
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
I've never been there. In a slight detour off topic, I wonder what the burnout rate must be for the people who work the counter (I doubt a watchmaker comes out every time the bell rings). The problem for these people is they only see the initial complaints plus return problems. The people who are happy disappear into the ether.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 06:38 AM   #16
danwatchdill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
I haven't had a servicing experience more than a bracelet adjustment, but I thought it was amazing going there. While I understand if they're not servicing your watch correctly it would piss me off, but being in there with all the different types of people all who just own Rolex was pretty cool. The room is beautiful and the gold sliding doors that open to reveal someone every once in a while--I thought it was a cool experience to be honest and made me feel more special about my purchase if that makes sense.

It can get packed in there though from what I've seen.
danwatchdill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 06:51 AM   #17
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Telling you they need to do a full service just to replace the bezel insert is frankly insulting. It’s insulting to the watchmakers themselves. “You mean I have to needlessly take apart and service this movement that is working perfectly just so we can charge this guy another $700?”
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 06:59 AM   #18
Car32
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I’m curious how did the person at the counter respond to the complaints?
Car32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 07:03 AM   #19
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Never used them personally but have heard a lot of lousy reviews, and nothing but good about Dallas RSC.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 07:13 AM   #20
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Wow, I’m glad we have RSC Toronto. I have had nothing but very positive experiences
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 07:14 AM   #21
iamjakekim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauffee View Post
Telling you they need to do a full service just to replace the bezel insert is frankly insulting. It’s insulting to the watchmakers themselves. “You mean I have to needlessly take apart and service this movement that is working perfectly just so we can charge this guy another $700?”
Actually the lady asked me to place my watch on a tray and took it to their "technician". When she came back in 2-3 mins, she said because there are fine scratches on the bezel insert (by the way I could not see any) and the pearl cannot be replaced without replacing the insert, the technician can only replace it if it gets serviced. I asked multiple times if there is a way to replace the pearl or insert only, but she kept giving me the same response...full service.

Old 15 October 2018, 07:16 AM   #22
iamjakekim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car32 View Post
I’m curious how did the person at the counter respond to the complaints?
Wasn't there long enough to observe further conversations...one thing I did observe is that a person asked for a paper statement for insurance purposes and RSC charges $150 for it... :)

Old 15 October 2018, 07:21 AM   #23
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Just to make sure I've got this straight: a Full Service, which I take to mean, Overhaul, which entails complete disassembly of movement, inspect and replace worn parts and a polish...for a cracked Lumi-dot / pearl? Huh?

I'm sure the poster is telling the truth but so I gotta ask: how many unsuspecting people fall for this nonsense? Sure, Rolex has their rules, most of them for good reason, but is this service protocol is sanctioned by Geneva? Or an RSC-NY policy?

Mark

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 07:25 AM   #24
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmp View Post
Just to make sure I've got this straight: a Full Service, which I take to mean, Overhaul, which entails complete disassembly of movement, inspect and replace worn parts and a polish...for a cracked Lumi-dot / pearl? Huh?

I'm sure the poster is telling the truth but so I gotta ask: how many unsuspecting people fall for this nonsense? Sure, Rolex has their rules, most of them for good reason, but is this service protocol is sanctioned by Geneva? Or an RSC-NY policy?

Mark

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
I believe any cosmetic issue (unless defect at fault of Rolex) will require full service. Ex. Polishing of watch.

If a factory defect was found for example in a ceramic bezel and Rolex agreed to replace...would they insist on giving you a free movement service as well? ... I imagine not.
Old 15 October 2018, 02:07 PM   #25
grymg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The pearl on my watch is still intact...it's just a small crack. Am I willing to pay $100-200? Absolutely!

Am I willing to get my 2 year old watch serviced to get the pearl replaced (RSC technician said he can only replace it if the watch gets serviced)? Hell NO.Attachment 989969

Oh damn, how did that happen? If you hit it just right on a door jam or countertop?
Old 15 October 2018, 03:58 PM   #26
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Based on what I’ve read on TRF, I’m more likely to avoid the NY RSC and send my watch to Dallas....even though going to the NYC one is much more convenient for me.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 04:15 PM   #27
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer six.
How come people aren't getting fired at RSC NY?

Needing a service to replace a pearl is just outright robbery.
116710er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 05:32 PM   #28
pc109
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
If you want to stay local, try my AD in Scarsdale, Wilson and Son. The watchmaker to ask for is Yury and he will personally take care of you. He’ll even give you a tour of his bench and other pieces he’s working on. He’s Rolex trained at Bienne and verified CW21. He is vintage friendly, too,which is why I had him service my 1680. He is a WIS as well, so fun to talk about any watch.

As for RSC NY, I’ve had. I problem with them in the past. Just recently had my 16570 get a full service with no issue. But I’d never take a vintage piece there as they will tell me I need to replace my top hat crystal as well as replace my hands and maybe dial, ha.
pc109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 01:30 AM   #29
Kevin Hammer
"TRF" Member

Im surprised to hear about the bracelet sizing issues. Took an SD there and sized it, didn't like it and went back next day and reversed it. Quick easy. They understood and were very nice about it.
That said due to the MANY complaints i have read about them for any real work i would send to Dallas.
Kevin Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 02:32 AM   #30
R!$
Banned

NY RSC is pretentious and only provides decent service for PM models
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote